Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
The idea that Disney buys LucasFilm for $4B and then "throws together" the scripts for their movies.

4 billion and this is the best they could do. That's what you should be facepalming. They couldn't even come up with an original concept for TFA. They hired the wrong talent for this series that's the bottom line. Maybe they should have given it to Pixar and had them do it. They seem to consistently put out good movies. I don't see why they couldn't write a live action script.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
The idea that Disney buys LucasFilm for $4B and then "throws together" the scripts for their movies.

4 billion is a drop in the bucket to Disney. And they may not "throw together" the scripts, but they obviously had little to no problem with pumping out movies and (over)saturating the market with Star Wars content. This is all without mentioning that the true value of the Star Wars universe lies in the marketing and theme park potential, not solely the movies. Moreover, keep in mind that Star Wars fandom is basically self-perpetuating at this point - it's not like Disney really needs to focus that much effort in ensuring a substantively quality product, not if the bells and whistles that make Star Wars "Star Wars" remain.

You've made several terrific points in this thread, but I do not think the notion that Disney purchased Lucas Films and decided it didn't matter if the script-ball was caught or dropped is as ludicrous as you paint it. "[T]hrew together" may be a bit flamboyant, but I think the script takes a backseat to the rest of the Universe and the rest of the movie production.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ocho wrote:

4 billion is a drop in the bucket to Disney. And they may not "throw together" the scripts, but they obviously had little to no problem with pumping out movies and (over)saturating the market with Star Wars content. This is all without mentioning that the true value of the Star Wars universe lies in the marketing and theme park potential, not solely the movies. Moreover, keep in mind that Star Wars fandom is basically self-perpetuating at this point - it's not like Disney really needs to focus that much effort in ensuring a substantively quality product, not if the bells and whistles that make Star Wars "Star Wars" remain.

You've made several terrific points in this thread, but I do not think the notion that Disney purchased Lucas Films and decided it didn't matter if the script-ball was caught or dropped is as ludicrous as you paint it. "[T]hrew together" may be a bit flamboyant, but I think the script takes a backseat to the rest of the Universe and the rest of the movie production.

$4B isn't a drop in the bucket to anybody. Star Wars is one of the most valuable IPs in entertainment. You guys not liking the latest installment is not the same thing as them being frivolous with a multi-billion dollar property. A world exists where you don't like the movie and it wasn't made by complete morons.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
ocho wrote:

$4B isn't a drop in the bucket to anybody. Star Wars is one of the most valuable IPs in entertainment. You guys not liking the latest installment is not the same thing as them being frivolous with a multi-billion dollar property. A world exists where you don't like the movie and it wasn't made by complete morons.

Don't conflate what I said with the others. I never said it was made by morons and I disagree with those who did. I said the scripts took a backseat to the rest of the production and the more lucrative aspects of the IP.

4B is a drop in the bucket to Disney. They regularly pay billions in dividends and their parks division can make that in a single quarter. It's clear you are invested in the argument, but you don't need to put words in my mouth or disclaim actual truths just to make your point. 4 Billion means nothing to them (and, really, it was only $2B, as the rest was in Disney Stock, which would obviously respond well over the long term to the LF acquisition). Lackluster scripts =/= being "frivolous." It's just Disney prioritizing certain parts of their IP over others.

FWIW, I don't the movies are bad as some make them out to be, but I do not think they are as well made as others have postured. They are just like the rest of the SW movies -- overrated, but damn did I have fun.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
And they may not "throw together" the scripts, but they obviously had little to no problem with pumping out movies and (over)saturating the market with Star Wars content. "[T]hrew together" may be a bit flamboyant, but I think the script takes a backseat to the rest of the Universe and the rest of the movie production.

This is exactly my point. I don't see a cohesive direction. I see TFA which started some plotlines that could have been interesting and then it feels like an outsider was brought in and wrote the second movie without any concern of what the TFA was starting. I think they were under a time crunch and instead of taking their time to find the right direction and story line they just wanted to start cashing in on their investment.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ocho wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
ocho wrote:

Don't conflate what I said with the others. I never said it was made by morons and I disagree with those who did. I said the scripts took a backseat to the rest of the production and the more lucrative aspects of the IP.

4B is a drop in the bucket to Disney. They regularly pay billions in dividends and their parks division can make that in a single quarter. It's clear you are invested in the argument, but you don't need to put words in my mouth or disclaim actual truths just to make your point. 4 Billion means nothing to them (and, really, it was only $2B, as the rest was in Disney Stock, which would obviously respond well over the long term to the LF acquisition). Lackluster scripts =/= being "frivolous." It's just Disney prioritizing certain parts of their IP over others.

FWIW, I don't the movies are bad as some make them out to be, but I do not think they are as well made as others have postured. They are just like the rest of the SW movies -- overrated, but damn did I have fun.

It is never my intention to purposefully mischarachterize anyone's argument, so if I have you have my apologies. I don't think we will ever agree that a $4B investment is not a significant one. I think it's safe to say Star Wars is very important for Disney, as evidenced by their ambitious and widespread plans for it. A lot of thought was put into this last movie, even if it rubbed some people the wrong way.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
ocho wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
ocho wrote:

It is never my intention to purposefully mischarachterize anyone's argument, so if I have you have my apologies. I don't think we will ever agree that a $4B investment is not a significant one. I think it's safe to say Star Wars is very important for Disney, as evidenced by their ambitious and widespread plans for it. A lot of thought was put into this last movie, even if it rubbed some people the wrong way.

Thanks. I agree we are probably at an impasse with respect to the monies spent. I am sure Star Wars is important to Disney; I think we disagree with respect to how important the movies themselves are. I also agree that a lot of thought was put into this last movie -- I think we disagree as to whether that thought resulted in a quality product.

Probably fair to leave it at that. Enjoy your Labor Day weekend, Ocho, always a pleasure to talk to you.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Probably fair to leave it at that. Enjoy your Labor Day weekend, Ocho, always a pleasure to talk to you.

Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
And they may not "throw together" the scripts, but they obviously had little to no problem with pumping out movies and (over)saturating the market with Star Wars content. "[T]hrew together" may be a bit flamboyant, but I think the script takes a backseat to the rest of the Universe and the rest of the movie production.

This is exactly my point. I don't see a cohesive direction. I see TFA which started some plotlines that could have been interesting and then it feels like an outsider was brought in and wrote the second movie without any concern of what the TFA was starting. I think they were under a time crunch and instead of taking their time to find the right direction and story line they just wanted to start cashing in on their investment.

I agree with you. its clear Rian Johnson had no interest in some of the plot threads JJ Abrams set up. That's not entirely a bad thing and its understandable that he wanted to do his own thing. I don't think they had the whole outline of the trilogy set up before filming, which is part of the problem.

If anyone is interested Mr Plinkett's review of the Last Jedi came out a couple of days ago on youtube and it is hilarious.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Cochese wrote:
The Thief wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

I agree with you. its clear Rian Johnson had no interest in some of the plot threads JJ Abrams set up. That's not entirely a bad thing and its understandable that he wanted to do his own thing. I don't think they had the whole outline of the trilogy set up before filming, which is part of the problem.

If anyone is interested Mr Plinkett's review of the Last Jedi came out a couple of days ago on youtube and it is hilarious.

So after looking into this more JJ had already written drafts for the next 2 episodes and Rian came in and basically ignored everything that was planned by JJ for The Last Jedi and created his own script. Unreal that they didn't have an agreed on story line already mapped out for this trilogy. No wonder it's a hot mess. I'd be interested to see what JJ's storyline was and if he'll try to bend it back to his vision for the next movie.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject:

Reading the posts in this thread caused me to compare Star Wars to Star Trek. I'm more a fan of Trek than Wars. I think Trek has more variety.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Reading the posts in this thread caused me to compare Star Wars to Star Trek. I'm more a fan of Trek than Wars. I think Trek has more variety.

Well, sure. Star Wars consists of one extended story arc. Star Trek consists of six TV shows and a number of movies.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject:

The Best Damn Last Jedi Review EVER.

and there have been some great ones but Plinkett delivers a masterpiece lol.

had it play in the back ground of doing work. ended up fullsizing it and watching the whole damn long thing.

Enjoy

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi is The Best Selling Blu-Ray of 2018 So Far

Quote:
Numbers for sales of home video physical formats came in and the top porg was none other than Star Wars: The Last Jedi. So far, it's been the most purchased piece of entertainment total, when adding up DVD and Blu-ray sales. Black Panther comes in at number two overall and in Blu-ray sales, but it did outpace The Last Jedi in DVD sales.

So what does that all mean?

It means that people are buying The Last Jedi a lot. It's made almost $100 million dollars in physical formats alone. This doesn't count anyone who bought the film only digitally.

It certainly pokes a hole in the argument that huge swaths of the audience don't like the film.

Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Quote:
Numbers for sales of home video physical formats came in and the top porg was none other than Star Wars: The Last Jedi. So far, it's been the most purchased piece of entertainment total, when adding up DVD and Blu-ray sales. Black Panther comes in at number two overall and in Blu-ray sales, but it did outpace The Last Jedi in DVD sales.

It means that people are buying The Last Jedi a lot. It's made almost $100 million dollars in physical formats alone. This doesn't count anyone who bought the film only digitally.

It certainly pokes a hole in the argument that huge swaths of the audience don't like the film.

Star Wars still has in my opinion the most rabid fan base in the world. I flat out did not like the prequels. I legit think they are awful. I’m a fan of Star Wars though so I bought them on DVD, then on Blu-Ray, then on iTunes. For DVD I bought them individually, then as a trilogy, then with all six movies.

Of course I bought TLJ as well. I’m sure this will be common for Star Wars fans. If you bought the prequels on Blu-ray, then you’re certainly going to buy TLJ too since it’s better than those three films, at least in the eyes of many.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Star Wars still has in my opinion the most rabid fan base in the world. I flat out did not like the prequels. I legit think they are awful. I’m a fan of Star Wars though so I bought them on DVD, then on Blu-Ray, then on iTunes. For DVD I bought them individually, then as a trilogy, then with all six movies.

Of course I bought TLJ as well. I’m sure this will be common for Star Wars fans. If you bought the prequels on Blu-ray, then you’re certainly going to buy TLJ too since it’s better than those three films, at least in the eyes of many.

That’s true. I’ll probably buy the Blu-ray at some point even though I don’t feel a strong desire to watch the movie again.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Sure, but even the amount of fans who are completists up to the point where they will spend money to purchase a movie they loathe is relatively small. Maybe enough to give it the edge over Black Panther. But clearly a ton of people really liked this movie.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

I think you can make an argument that TLJ is just as bad as any of the prequels but you’re right Star Wars fanatics will buy just about anything Star Wars related. The bad news is that it’s only selling at about half the rate that T FA sold. Just shows you how much a miss it was with audiences. Unless a miracle happens I don’t see the next movie having much success. Does anyone care about any of these characters? Kyle has no intimidation factor since he acts like a tantrum throwing teenager. Not to mention he got owned in every battle with Rey. Mary Sue Rey is one of the greatest force weilders of all time with zero training. Finn and Rose have zero chemistry onscreen and their characters are poorly written and Uninteresting. Poe isn’t much better. Luke Blew away like a fart in the wind for no reason. Harrison ford basically refused to do any more movies as he saw the writing on the wall. What is there to look forward to? I think you pretty much have to write this trilogy off if you’re Disney. Take a breather and find another team to take the lead. Have them helm the next standalone movie then judge from there if they are capable of handling the next trilogy. You need what Chris Nolan did for the Batman series but who’s going to be that person?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject:

^^^

Agreed that bluray/DVD sales don’t mean much for if audiences likes the movie when it comes to Star Wars. Plenty of people will buy just because it’s Star Wars. If like you said it’s rate is only half that of TFA then that tells you all you need to know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Millions of people buying a movie they hate more than any other movie of the year is a hot take I did not expect but probably should have.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Millions of people buying a movie they hate more than any other movie of the year is a hot take I did not expect but probably should have.

It's right up there with burning a pair of shoes you have already bought and and paid for in an attempt to hit a company in their wallet.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject:

If DVD sales are your metric then TLJ was only half as good a movie as TFA then? (According to the Thief’s numbers)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

Sure, but even the amount of fans who are completists up to the point where they will spend money to purchase a movie they loathe is relatively small. Maybe enough to give it the edge over Black Panther. But clearly a ton of people really liked this movie.

The news just wasn’t surprising to me. Of course Star Wars sells the most Blu-rays. What exactly is it competing with? The shape of water? Movies like Star Wars are made for the BluRay experience. With that being said, it should be noted that black panther has sold more DVDs even though it came out two months later. Without knowing the difference between Star Wars Blu-ray sales and black panther Blu-ray sales, it would not surprise me if Black Panther over took it. Infinity war came out much later but I wouldn’t be surprised if it overtook it for 2018 sales as well.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
If DVD sales are your metric then TLJ was only half as good a movie as TFA then? (According to the Thief’s numbers)

Nobody said it was a metric of how good anything is, but it helps indicate what is popular with audiences. The Force Awakens is one of the most anticipated, most watched, most popular movies ever. It has the #1 All Time domestic box office record (TLJ is #8). Adjusted for inflation it's #11 (TLJ is #43). What a failure! In terms of home media sales, how much better than #1 for the year should it have done?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
ocho wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

The news just wasn’t surprising to me. Of course Star Wars sells the most Blu-rays. What exactly is it competing with? The shape of water? Movies like Star Wars are made for the BluRay experience. With that being said, it should be noted that black panther has sold more DVDs even though it came out two months later. Without knowing the difference between Star Wars Blu-ray sales and black panther Blu-ray sales, it would not surprise me if Black Panther over took it. Infinity war came out much later but I wouldn’t be surprised if it overtook it for 2018 sales as well.

Whether it finishes #1, 2 or 3 is immaterial to me when comparing it to other insanely popular movies. I posted the numbers to push back on the idea that TLJ was a failure that was massively hated by audiences. Despite a very vocal internet cabal, it simply isn't true. A movie that is despised doesn't sell on home video that well. It doesn't have to beat the most popular movies ever to be considered popular and well received.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14
Jump to: