The Die Hard Lakers scene....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: The Die Hard Lakers scene....

So this is a topic I wouldn't dare post during the season because people would yell at me for not discussing the falloff in LeBron's play or Luke's out-of-timeout sets, but with a bit of a lull here, what the hell.

Watching Die Hard again. Maybe best action movie ever. Perfect movie. Except!

When the terrorists enter the lobby, and Theo's spouting off a made-up anecdote to briefly distract the guard in the lobby, he discusses a thrilling fast break he saw the Lakers execute.

Kareem rebounds. Feeds Worthy on the break. Over to AC. To Magic, then back to Worthy. Boom. 2 points.

What the hell kind of fast break was that? AC played with Captain for four years. In that time, do you think this combination EVER happened? Kareem rebounds, to Worthy, to AC, to Magic, to Big Game for the (I assume) statue of liberty dunk. It's the "over to A.C." part that throws me off. I can see Kareem kicking it out to Worthy who maybe has started running down court. But James is not looking for A.C. He's looking for No. 32, in the middle, on the wing, anywhere. He's getting it to Magic.

I guess I'm just disappointed in Theo for not giving us a realistic play before invading Nakatomi. Something like, "Kareem rebounds, right, finds Magic in the middle. Magic dribbles down the middle, looks at A.C. on the left, feeds Worthy on the right. Boom. 2 points." You know.

That said! I'd love if NPZ can find a clip where the Die Hard scenario actually took place. In fact I fully expect NPZ to show the foolishness of my complaint by loading a clip of a game vs. the Kings in 1987 where that exact set of rebound and passes took place and Chick narrated it instead of Theo.

Back to John McClane killing bad guys. Also, Ellis was absolutely a Clippers season ticket holder in the 1980s.
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Die Hard Lakers scene....

spflakers wrote:
So this is a topic I wouldn't dare post during the season because people would yell at me for not discussing the falloff in LeBron's play or Luke's out-of-timeout sets, but with a bit of a lull here, what the hell.

When the terrorists enter the lobby, and Theo's spouting off a made-up anecdote to briefly distract the guard in the lobby, he discusses a thrilling fast break he saw the Lakers execute.

Kareem rebounds. Feeds Worthy on the break. Over to AC. To Magic, then back to Worthy. Boom. 2 points.

What the hell kind of fast break was that? AC played with Captain for four years. In that time, do you think this combination EVER happened? Kareem rebounds, to Worthy, to AC, to Magic, to Big Game for the (I assume) statue of liberty dunk. It's the "over to A.C." part that throws me off. I can see Kareem kicking it out to Worthy who maybe has started running down court. But James is not looking for A.C. He's looking for No. 32, in the middle, on the wing, anywhere. He's getting it to Magic.

I guess I'm just disappointed in Theo for not giving us a realistic play before invading Nakatomi. Something like, "Kareem rebounds, right, finds Magic in the middle. Magic dribbles down the middle, looks at A.C. on the left, feeds Worthy on the right. Boom. 2 points." You know.

That said! I'd love if NPZ can find a clip where the Die Hard scenario actually took place. In fact I fully expect NPZ to show the foolishness of my complaint by loading a clip of a game vs. the Kings in 1987 where that exact set of rebound and passes took place and Chick narrated it instead of Theo.

Back to John McClane killing bad guys. Also, Ellis was absolutely a Clippers season ticket holder in the 1980s.

Great movie, great anecdote... Even if a bit unrealistic
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject:

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject:

details....I feel you. Nice catch.
BirdMagicLegend
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject:

Isn't it possible in this scenario that Magic might be covered by two defenders anticipating Kareem's pass and AC was actually wide open on the break? They had to improvise by passing it to AC and then to Magic when Magic gets open and finally to Worthy.

I don't think it's that unrealistic but hey, I'm not a Lakers fan either.
tgi_friyay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:

AC knew how to run back then, he could pass. Maybe Big Game was running into a defender and needed to get rid of the ball pronto and AC was open.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject:

Great movie! Great team!
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject:

https://ew.com/movies/2018/09/03/die-hard-6-title-mcclane/

"Javale rebounds, right? Throws it out to Ingram, over to Wagner, to LeBron, back to Ingram. Boom. 2 points."

Also, as I think about "It's a Rolex" Ellis being a Clippers season ticket holder, doing coke with the players post-game, I picture Sterling ordering a moment of silence for him after the tragic events of that Christmas. His seat next to Billy Crystal left empty.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Die Hard Lakers scene....

Quote:
I guess I'm just disappointed in Theo for not giving us a realistic play before invading Nakatomi.

unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject:

I like all the Die Hard movies, but Die Hard: With a Vengeance is my favorite.

And LeBron is needing some vengeance bestowed upon the Warriors...!
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Good catch.

Another one that pisses me off is the scene from White Men Can't Jump where Woody Harrelson goes over to Wesley Snipes' apartment to light him up for the hustle job. Snipes' houseguests are the duo's opponents from that day's game, and they're all watching a Lakers game on T V. They cheer for a slow-mo replay as if it's a live play. This has always made me mad.
gblews
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject:

As an aside, I do recall a fast break back in 1982, I believe, when all 5 guys who were on the floor at the time, came down on the break. Magic had the ball in the middle with the two wings, and McAdoo who was playing center, and the other forward, trailing Magic. Either Chick or Stu commented on the rarity of seeing 5 guys all hauling ass down court at the same time.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject:

gblews wrote:
As an aside, I do recall a fast break back in 1982, I believe, when all 5 guys who were on the floor at the time, came down on the break. Magic had the ball in the middle with the two wings, and McAdoo who was playing center, and the other forward, trailing Magic. Either Chick or Stu commented on the rarity of seeing 5 guys all hauling ass down court at the same time.

If it was 1982, if it wasn't Chick, it had to have been Keith Erickson, not Stu!

By the way, love the "Ellis must have been a Clippers season ticket holder" angle at the top of the thread. Fantastic.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject:

NPZ incoming.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
NPZ incoming.

yea, curious what his take is.
I don't see what the big deal is. There are thousands of plays in these careers. Each possession with those Lakers could have been like 5-10 passes, they were very fast and very fluid.
No offense to OP, but if I can take this a bit too far...
this sounds to me like the video game mentality that fans apply to the actual players. LIke the 48% shooter is better than the 43% shooter.

I might even agree that this actual play did not happen, but good luck proving that. And no details of the play is given, so its just a bunch of passing and a shot. So, I would say it is highly probable that such a sequence did occur sometime. And even if it did, it doesn't mean the movie's anecdote is based on that.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

I thought this thread was info on hang-out spots for die hard laker fans.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
NPZ incoming.

yea, curious what his take is.
I don't see what the big deal is. There are thousands of plays in these careers. Each possession with those Lakers could have been like 5-10 passes, they were very fast and very fluid.
No offense to OP, but if I can take this a bit too far...
this sounds to me like the video game mentality that fans apply to the actual players. LIke the 48% shooter is better than the 43% shooter.

I might even agree that this actual play did not happen, but good luck proving that. And no details of the play is given, so its just a bunch of passing and a shot. So, I would say it is highly probable that such a sequence did occur sometime. And even if it did, it doesn't mean the movie's anecdote is based on that.

https://media.giphy.com/media/OqdVQg8vUu9xK/giphy.gif
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Good catch.

Another one that pisses me off is the scene from White Men Can't Jump where Woody Harrelson goes over to Wesley Snipes' apartment to light him up for the hustle job. Snipes' houseguests are the duo's opponents from that day's game, and they're all watching a Lakers game on T V. They cheer for a slow-mo replay as if it's a live play. This has always made me mad.

That's 12/4/90 vs DET. I have that game, Chick version obv.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Die Hard Lakers scene....

spflakers wrote:

OMG. I dunno, that'd take ages, probably. It quite possibly happened just due to odds. I know of a legit 5-1 fast break by LA in a game, so anything's possible.

Finding such a thing would be torture. I'll keep an eye out. Agree that AC would be the hard part. It'd have to be out of necessity that he touches it in that scenario, a guy stepping in front of Worthy briefly, but you would assume it's far fetched to have that much going on in a successful break. Maybe a touch pass from AC back to Worthy, but again, AC doing a touch pass? If this was anyone else, spf, I'd think he was giving me a fool's errand. I'll look at a handful of random uploads. Lemme see if there's anything that approaches this.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject:

gblews wrote:

Well, here you go. This is not the one you're even referring to. I thought that was incredibly rare, too. This is the only one I know of that I've ever seen.
Magic not even in there. Tell me Riles didn't hone the fast break down to a science. That sh looked instinctual.

Another rare thing I remember was a fast break down the line where I think all 5 Lakers touched the ball and passed it down court to someone else and it never hit the floor. The whole break consisted of passes. I think the game was 94 at Indy (about 95% sure that was the game), which I don't have up, but I do have. That was of course a non-playoff season of the Threatt era. So anything can happen no matter who's on the floor, but finding a play that unfolds WITH NAMES and in order is a tall task. I wanna try tho, SPF. Will take at least a day or two to tell you whether I found it in at least 5-6 recaps. I wrote it down on paper. Lemme look, bro (I use bro proudly, pay no mind to the worst 500 phrases list, they're all wrong about bro).

Here's another thing that me, you, all you other blokes, Chick and Stu had never seen before. This is one in a million. Only Mychal....

CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Die Hard Lakers scene....

dubaholic1 wrote:
Quote:
I guess I'm just disappointed in Theo for not giving us a realistic play before invading Nakatomi.

#BannersOverBillboards
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
gblews wrote:

Well, here you go. This is not the one you're even referring to. I thought that was incredibly rare, too. This is the only one I know of that I've ever seen.
Magic not even in there. Tell me Riles didn't hone the fast break down to a science. That sh looked instinctual.

Another rare thing I remember was a fast break down the line where I think all 5 Lakers touched the ball and passed it down court to someone else and it never hit the floor. The whole break consisted of passes. I think the game was 94 at Indy (about 95% sure that was the game), which I don't have up, but I do have. That was of course a non-playoff season of the Threatt era. So anything can happen no matter who's on the floor, but finding a play that unfolds WITH NAMES and in order is a tall task. I wanna try tho, SPF. Will take at least a day or two to tell you whether I found it in at least 5-6 recaps. I wrote it down on paper. Lemme look, bro (I use bro proudly, pay no mind to the worst 500 phrases list, they're all wrong about bro).

Here's another thing that me, you, all you other blokes, Chick and Stu had never seen before. This is one in a million. Only Mychal....

wow, I'm impressed you are even going to try!
question...for the old games where chick is not on the telecast, do you take the video and separate audio and merge them?
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject:

even if the play is found, I'm almost certain the writer simply thought of the most famous lakers (Kareem, Magic, Worthy, AC) and made a sentence out of it.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
gblews wrote:

Only Mychal, yeah.

And you know I'd never send you on a fool's errrand, npz! And I will feel bad if this leads to you tearing out walls and a descent into madness like Hackman at the end of The Conversation.

When I picture NPZ's home lair, I imagine Selleck in 3 men and a baby. Remember all the tapes he had and he showed West's 3/4 court shot during that party?

Speaking of Die Hard, part 3 the other night. For 20 years I shamefully didn't understand how the hell their solution for the water jug problem in the park worked. I then had my wife watch it; she gets things like that easy. And she then walked me through it step by step as if I was 5. I get it now! Not a math major.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: