Chris Bosh's NBA Return Requires More Than a Desire to Play with LeBron in LA

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Chris Bosh's NBA Return Requires More Than a Desire to Play with LeBron in LA

Hey all,

Here's my latest at @BleacherReport Chris Bosh's NBA Return Requires More Than a Desire to Play with LeBron in LA
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2794378-chris-boshs-nba-return-requires-more-than-a-desire-to-play-with-lebron-in-la

Cheers,

EP
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Thanks.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject:

He shouldn’t return unless he is cleared 110% by the Doctors.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Even if he's healthy, can he really help us with rebounding and rim protection?

Plus he's 34, so I wonder if he can fit in with our fast breaking style of play.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Bosh at age 34 is a good comparison with Deng at 33 the difference if he does comeback is that he’s gonna be able to actually contribute in some fashion and help us get wins.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Heads up, Eric.

as a player who previously was previously ruled
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the man has a serious heart defect.

There must be better alternative talent options (as well) for this club than to hire Chris Bosh. From my chair, considerations of talent and age can't be put aside for rash or emotional decisions (to please LeBron and satisfy Bosh.)

The elephant on the desk is a crusher. Remove any wish to consider Bosh as a Laker. There's not enough insurance coverage nor adequate risk-reward probable to support any club to employ Chris Bosh as a basketball player heretoforth. If he were to die or suffer a life-changing event playing or practicing or training for the Lakers, I would never understand the hiring decision - nor ever forgive it.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Even if he's healthy, can he really help us with rebounding and rim protection?

Plus he's 34, so I wonder if he can fit in with our fast breaking style of play.

--Anonymous
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

thx - the typo was fixed by the time I checked for it - my editors moved a few sections around on this one so probably their fault, lol
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Get medically cleared and then we can talk.

Serena Williams has had issues with blood clots and look where she is now. Not retired.

Other pro athletes have been able to take blood thinners and keep playing.
https://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/16/12930492/chris-bosh-blood-clots-miami-heat-thinners-examples

Bosh was saying they've improved these blood thinners since he was last medically rejected.

Yeah it's just a sport and not worth a life. But what's a life if you aren't able to do what you love? There will always be risks.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:

Yeah it's just a sport and not worth a life. But what's a life if you aren't able to do what you love? There will always be risks.

Bosh dying on the court is a massive lawsuit waiting to happen.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Not to mention he might be uninsurable
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Not to put too fine a point on it, but the man has a serious heart defect.

He doesn’t have a heart defect. He has an issue with clotting. A number of still active athletes have had similar temporary issues including Serena Williams, Varajao, and Teletovic. Jerome Kersey died from complications of a similar issues, around the same time just before Bosh was diagnosed. It could be that his options were unfairly limited based on that.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

Even if doctors clear him to play, I would hesitate to sign him. He's 34, hasn't played a full season in four years, and, most importantly, I wouldn't want it to be on my conscience if something terrible happened to me.

I wouldn't touch the risk-reward on this one.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Even if doctors clear him to play, I would hesitate to sign him. He's 34, hasn't played a full season in four years, and, most importantly, I wouldn't want it to be on my conscience if something terrible happened to me.

Do you watch auto racing or mountain climbing? Boxing or football?

I appreciate your conscience and humanity but sports figures have risked their lives since sports began. 10% of people who climb K2 die. During Niki Lauda's era, 10% of Formula one drivers would die if they drove long enough.

I don't think he should do it because he has a family... but if he were single, I don't think it's much different than doing anything else risky that someone loves. I don't think Chris is a gladiator, battling because someone has a sword to his back... I think he misses something that he loves. So, if he wants to do it, that is his right... but what he's doing is no different than many sports that we already have. You shouldn't feel guilty at all... no more than if someone elects to drive a car, or plane, or anything else that has some inherent element of risk.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I appreciate your conscience and humanity but sports figures have risked their lives since sports began. 10% of people who climb K2 die. During Niki Lauda's era, 10% of Formula one drivers would die if they drove long enough.

I don't think he should do it because he has a family... but if he were single, I don't think it's much different than doing anything else risky that someone loves. I don't think Chris is a gladiator, battling because someone has a sword to his back... I think he misses something that he loves. So, if he wants to do it, that is his right... but what he's doing is no different than many sports that we already have. You shouldn't feel guilty at all... no more than if someone elects to drive a car, or plane, or anything else that has some inherent element of risk.

I don’t think playing through blood clot is the only issue, it’s the fact that traveling in a 82 game season can cause a lot of issues with his health.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Those are inherent risks of the sport.

How many basketball players do you know of with Bosh's particular ailment (that are playing)? There isn't such an inherent risk; Bosh's condition is the risk.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Get medically cleared and then we can talk.

Serena Williams has had issues with blood clots and look where she is now. Not retired.

Other pro athletes have been able to take blood thinners and keep playing.
https://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/16/12930492/chris-bosh-blood-clots-miami-heat-thinners-examples

Bosh was saying they've improved these blood thinners since he was last medically rejected.

Serena doesn't have to travel nearly as much as NBA players do, and air travel is cited as a significant risk factor for blood clots.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I respect your point of view; I just don't agree with it. We all know some sports carry a higher risk. A football player has a greater chance of serious injury than a ping pong player. But that's different than letting a guy play who has a physical problem than gives him a disproportionate amount of risk. If I owned a football team, I wouldn't sign a player who has brain aneurism that would give him a high risk of dying just because he wanted to play. That, to me, is a level of risk that goes beyond what is expected in the sport, and I wouldn't want to be part of it.

I think Bosh's desire to play is foolish, but that's business. However, if I was the one who allowed him to play despite my strong belief it was foolish and he could die, I would bear some of the responsibility if he died. Maybe that wouldn't bother you; but it would bother me, and I wouldn't want to be part of it.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Should it come to that, I wonder if the Lakers choose Bosh or Bynum?

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
berksemikohen
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject:

Shaber wrote:
Should it come to that, I wonder if the Lakers choose Bosh or Bynum?

Today's NBA prefers Bosh to Bynum
Centers are not needed
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: