Andrew Bynum comeback!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
scoobs wrote:
Pretty interesting. He would once again be playing with the best player in the world. And instead of being talked about being traded for a declining Jason Kidd, he ends up playing with a 20 year old version of Jason Kidd, but he himself is still only 30 years old. It would be quite and interesting come back story. What hasn't been mentioned is his similarities to Brook Lopez, in regards to him being an injury prone back to the basket 7 footer who changed his game for the modern NBA. That wouldn't be bad for a minimum contract. A lot of us wanted Lopez back for the room exception.

How and when did Bynum change his game for the modern NBA? Are you saying that because he shot a few threes in that brief clip?
Well that's all we have to go by at this point, but its seems like he is on the right track. He and most other bigs were not hitting threes albeit in a brief video clip, but 95% of nba 7 footer were not hitting 3s like that 10 years ago. It is obvious and I'm sure he knows or at least has advisors telling him the things that he needs to do to survive in today's NBA right?
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Behold for your nostalgia! Circa 2012.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=143906

#innovator #trailblazer

🔥 🔥 🔥
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject:

I think he might qualify for a handicap parking spot at Staples this time.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Another new clip of Drew working on his 3 point shot...

https://twitter.com/ChrisJHoops/status/1039003829818146816
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
Judah wrote:
scoobs wrote:
Pretty interesting. He would once again be playing with the best player in the world. And instead of being talked about being traded for a declining Jason Kidd, he ends up playing with a 20 year old version of Jason Kidd, but he himself is still only 30 years old. It would be quite and interesting come back story. What hasn't been mentioned is his similarities to Brook Lopez, in regards to him being an injury prone back to the basket 7 footer who changed his game for the modern NBA. That wouldn't be bad for a minimum contract. A lot of us wanted Lopez back for the room exception.

How and when did Bynum change his game for the modern NBA? Are you saying that because he shot a few threes in that brief clip?
Well that's all we have to go by at this point, but its seems like he is on the right track. He and most other bigs were not hitting threes albeit in a brief video clip, but 95% of nba 7 footer were not hitting 3s like that 10 years ago. It is obvious and I'm sure he knows or at least has advisors telling him the things that he needs to do to survive in today's NBA right?

But Lopez can actually make those threes in games. I'm sure that many of the bigs, especially in today's league, can make them in practices. I still remember the footage of Mozgov and Zubac draining threes a couple of years ago in practice. This is where the Lopez comparison cripples. Bynum has to be a good enough shooter for his coach (if he ever lands on a team) to give him the green light to take them in game situations before we start saying that he's modernized his game.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Taking a look at him is doing your due diligence. Who knows, judging him without even taking a look is a terrible front office move, if your in need of a big man. If he has anything left, and he knees can hold up to 10-15 minutes a game, hell yeah I would sign him to a vet minimum deal.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Bynum had such a disappointing career given how much potential he had. He was an emerging star in 07-08 before he got hurt, gradually worked his way back into being an All-Star averaging 19/12 under Mike Brown, and then never played again. He ended up being just the 5th most important player on those championship teams.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject:

kinda funny was just thinking about Bynum a day ago wondering what he has been up to
a focused Bynum who could go 100% for like 12mpg would be a very nice asset... rebounding, rim protecting, low post scoring. But I doubt he did much of anything basketball related during his mini-retirement as he could barely give effort when was in the NBA. So it will take much more than a summer of training to get whatever mojo he could potentially have in the tank. And thats not even considering the potential knee issues.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Invite him to the camp. Then decide based on what you see there.

If he is done, well, he's still probably better than most of the camp fodder.

But if he has made a decent recovery to give you 10-15 min... Even if he is only 75% of what he once was, he'd still be one of the best bigmen in the league.

It would be just stupid to not even evaluate what he can do now.

There are enough examples of comebacks after long rehabs. Sometimes some injuries take even longer than 2 years to heal properly. I know that from my own experience too.
Grant Hill comes to mind - not the superpower he once was after the comeback, but still a very good player.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Andrew Bynum comeback!

markjay wrote:
hisairness#8 wrote:
https://youtu.be/Am2_89Nsq1c

Would any of you give him another run with us. He looks like in great shape!

Looks like he can barely dunk

Bad knees killed any lift he had.
Damaged goods.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Andrew Bynum comeback!

hisairness#8 wrote:
Would any of you give him another run with us.

Only if he makes a comeback with Rick122321321321313.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject:

I was a big fan of Bynum, but I am skeptical that he can still contribute. He looked done in Philly and Indiana and that was years ago. I wouldn't mind if they gave him a camp invite to see if he has anything left, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
I was a big fan of Bynum, but I am skeptical that he can still contribute. He looked done in Philly and Indiana and that was years ago. I wouldn't mind if they gave him a camp invite to see if he has anything left, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

How did he look done in Philly...... he never played!
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

How did he look done in Philly...... he never played!

Sorry I meant the Cavs and Pacers. He couldn't get himself healthy. He looked done. He shot 41.8% combined with the Cavs and Pacers the next season averaging 8.7 and 5.6. It's been four years since then though. It's hard to imagine him giving much more than that, most likely he's done. And trust me I was a big fan of the guy. It's a shame that his knees couldn't hold up.

All that being said, if he is making a comeback I don't mind giving him a camp invite and seeing if he has anything left. But it's a long shot.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject:

No thanks. Been there, done that.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject:

If there is a way to invite him to camp I would do it in a second. We all know what Drew is capable and his skills are one of the best for C position. If he is in good condition and motivated why not. He is better than Zubac, McGee for sure if healthy. For some minimum I dont see any reason why not.
pokoy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
Bad culture fit. Bad attitude. Lazy.

He could never guard he perimeter and would not be able to switch in today’s league. Not with his knees.

I wouldn't deny him on the attitude part, people grow up. And the guy looks motivated enough to work on his shot and get in good shape to try and make the comeback. Redemption stories are the best.

I would deny him mostly on the perimeter-guarding part. Nothing I've seen in those clips show me he's ready to switch on the perimeter, and those things only get worse with age, let alone coming off bad knee injuries... Kudos to him for getting in great shape, but I don't think he'll be a good fit here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
For some minimum I don't see any reason why not.

It would depend on his maturity level and actual physical fitness. What the Lakers do not need is a bigger circus than what they will already have. If he came in with the right attitude, worked hard and his body was actually in a physical form to produce good results, then it might be worth a shot. If he is immature in any way or his body continues to be done, then he is wasting time that would be better used on the young core.

The more I think about it, I just don't see Magic or Pelinka wanting to go down this road. They have more important things to get done once camp opens. Also, I think that Zubac is going to surprise us in a positive way.

--Anonymous
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject:

He looks good in selective clips. So can a lot of players.

I highly doubt he has the mobility to play anymore. But I would have no problem if they invited him to camp on a non-guaranteed contract. If he can impress and earn a roster spot then so be it.

Would expect it to take a lot to win over the scouts and coaches. If he can do that then why not? A good redemption story is always welcome.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Taking a look at him is doing your due diligence. Who knows, judging him without even taking a look is a terrible front office move, if your in need of a big man. If he has anything left, and he knees can hold up to 10-15 minutes a game, hell yeah I would sign him to a vet minimum deal.

Exactly.

And again for the psychological experts in this crowd, sometimes people do grow up.

I don't expect Drew's knees to be NBA capable, but actually take a look before deciding.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject:

He'll have to prove himself to someone at least enough to get a camp invite. It's really all on him to show he really wants it and is physically capable of getting back in the game. I don't give him great odds but what a feel good story if he can.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject:

CLOSEOUT GAMES ARE KINDA EASY!

Bring back Bynum!!!
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject:

I was a big supporter who never wanted to upgrade to Dwight. I'm willing to let the center spot play out with who they have now. Still, they don't have Randle to bang with Embiid, they need length to affect Gobert, and someone to stop Cousins from pushing frail guys around. If he doesn't have constant recovery or injury issues, I'd be ok with having him to strategically match against the true bigs in the league.

People who don't let go of dumb things he did when he was was young are the first ones to forget about Kobe's blunder in Colorado. Bynum isn't a kid anymore so it's time to move on from the "what he said/did when he was 20" narrative.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:

This
Andrew would bring toughness to the team as well
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
He sees how deflated salaries are right now, so maybe he actually wants to play. It's possible at 30, that he's finally matured a little

That’s all fine and good. It’s more likely that his knees haven’t matured though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: