View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
999 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
999 wrote:
So I have been riding since 20. I have a zx10r ninja. A Vulcan 900 and a diavel.

When I first started riding I picked up a Yamaha r6. I’m not saying go ahead and pick that up. But choose a bike you are comfortable with.

I'm looking at a Rebel 300 or maybe a used Rebel 250. I want a low ride height for my first bike so I can comfortable have my feet on the ground.

Not a bad choice for a starter bike. How long do you plan on keeping that starter bike. This is just me, After a Solid 2 months of riding I wanted more power.

Also what are your intentions? Is this a daily driver? Weekend rider? Riding with friends only? Give me some details

Weekend rider. I'll keep it until I outgrow it I guess.

get yourself a 600

more than enough power and you can keep it long term.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
999 wrote:
governator wrote:
Haven’t hit my midlife crisis yet but for future reference, aside from the bad ass aesthetics, why choose a chopper instead of a ‘race looking’ bikes (don’t know what they’re called)... more comfortable? Or just looks?

It’s comfort. And also cost. Sport bikes are brutal on your shoulder and back if driven for a long time. Also. They are not much fun unless you are doing 90+. Cruisers are more comfortable but can be expensive depending on the kind you get

There is a big difference between a chopper and a cruiser. I think that choppers may be less comfortable and far more dangerous than sports bikes with those ridiculous ape hanger bars or those idiotic tiny bars. How the hell are you supposed to turn that thing in an emergency? Braking is also very compromised in choppers.

A regular cruiser though is nice and comfortable.

i rarely see people daily driving or weekend cruising a chopper... choppers can start from 50-100K... I usually see them at shows...

I have 2 cruiser bikes which I ride more than sport bike
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject:

PROPHET wrote:
I used to ride but I got into a pretty bad accident driving to work. I was lucky that I didn't slide into traffic, ended up fracturing some bones and had a major concussion. I enjoyed riding my bike but have not ridden since the accident, not sure if its worth it since I have a family.

YOU will get in a accident its just the nature of it.

Most people that get a motorcycle end up joining a riding group. Unfortunately, chances are they will probably know some members that passed away from an accident, its just the nature of picking up a very dangerous hobby.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
999 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
999 wrote:
So I have been riding since 20. I have a zx10r ninja. A Vulcan 900 and a diavel.

When I first started riding I picked up a Yamaha r6. I’m not saying go ahead and pick that up. But choose a bike you are comfortable with.

I'm looking at a Rebel 300 or maybe a used Rebel 250. I want a low ride height for my first bike so I can comfortable have my feet on the ground.

Not a bad choice for a starter bike. How long do you plan on keeping that starter bike. This is just me, After a Solid 2 months of riding I wanted more power.

Also what are your intentions? Is this a daily driver? Weekend rider? Riding with friends only? Give me some details

get yourself a 600

What do you think of getting a cheap, used Rebel 250 and see how I like riding in general then selling it and upgrading if I take to riding?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
999 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
999 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
999 wrote:

get yourself a 600

What do you think of getting a cheap, used Rebel 250 and see how I like riding in general then selling it and upgrading if I take to riding?

I’ll be honest with you. A rebel 250 will make you hate riding
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
999 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
999 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
999 wrote:

get yourself a 600

When you take the rider course at a community college one of the motorcycles they use is the Rebel 250.
While there are some people that can handle a 600cc sportbike as their first motorcycle, I think that would be a huge mistake. Think of your favorite motorcycle racer, none of them ever started on a big bike. They all started on a small dirtbike or small displacement motorcycle to learn how to master the controls and their abilities to ride. Also it hurts your pocketbook much less if you crash a cheaper motorcycle.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject:

I rode for a couple of years and all I can tell you is that getting hit sucks more on a bike than it does in a car. It sucks a lot more.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
999 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
999 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
999 wrote:

get yourself a 600

When you take the rider course at a community college one of the motorcycles they use is the Rebel 250.
While there are some people that can handle a 600cc sportbike as their first motorcycle, I think that would be a huge mistake. Think of your favorite motorcycle racer, none of them ever started on a big bike. They all started on a small dirtbike or small displacement motorcycle to learn how to master the controls and their abilities to ride. Also it hurts your pocketbook much less if you crash a cheaper motorcycle.

He doesn’t have to get a sport bike. A Vulcan S has perfect displacement and it’s a comfort rider. If he wants a sport bike a used 600 wouldn’t be as bad. I’m a kawi guy so my opinion will be slightly biased
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: