SI: Top 100 players in the NBA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Superboy Reformed wrote:
zo has a lot to prove. for one, that he can shoot as good as a good high school player.

This is where you cross into the hater territory.

Freshman: 69% fg, 63% 3p, 81% ft
Senior: 54%, 36% 3p, 80% ft
UCLA: 55.1% fg, 41.2% 3p, 67.3% ft

Last edited by J.C. Smith on Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject:

I'll be the skeptical one here, and yes my signature does play a role into this opinion, it feels like they're marginalizing our young guns to prop up LeBron or to give him a potential excuse. Our young guns are not scrubs, especially not Kuzma.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
Meh. Same ol' story: some publication wants clicks, so they rag on the Lakers. No need to get worked up. Good thing the games aren't decided by blogger/writer rankings.

Just curious though, where were they at last year?

How does that work? How does ragging on Lakers generate more clicks?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
It's almost time for ESPN to come out with their NBArank as well. Although they used to go all the way to #500, and now they stop at #100 like SI does.

I'd say SI was arguably fair to Lonzo and BI, but a lot of good players around the NBA are getting snubbed. Quite a few of their picks have no business getting a top 70 ranking. And when Lonzo displays his 40% three point shooting this year, he's going straight to top 40.

And yeah Kuzma belongs in the top 100. I also think Hart's gonna take up residency in the top 100 come mid season and stay there a while as well, just like the rest of our young guns.

Not setting my sights high or anything, of course.

How’d Lonzo fix his shooting in one offseason. That’s amazing considering alot of people on here wanted him to start working on his form before the season ended
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject:

diando wrote:
I'll be the skeptical one here, and yes my signature does play a role into this opinion, it feels like they're marginalizing our young guns to prop up LeBron or to give him a potential excuse. Our young guns are not scrubs, especially not Kuzma.

Can't make this stuff up. Incredible.
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject:

Well at least this year we can be certain that the purple and gold will be represented in the top spot of these players rankings.

And yes I am talking about Sviatoslav "Rainin' Buckets" Mykhailiuk.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
It's almost time for ESPN to come out with their NBArank as well. Although they used to go all the way to #500, and now they stop at #100 like SI does.

I'd say SI was arguably fair to Lonzo and BI, but a lot of good players around the NBA are getting snubbed. Quite a few of their picks have no business getting a top 70 ranking. And when Lonzo displays his 40% three point shooting this year, he's going straight to top 40.

And yeah Kuzma belongs in the top 100. I also think Hart's gonna take up residency in the top 100 come mid season and stay there a while as well, just like the rest of our young guns.

Not setting my sights high or anything, of course.

How’d Lonzo fix his shooting in one offseason. That’s amazing considering alot of people on here wanted him to start working on his form before the season ended

His form looks better in recent clips, but I was pretty much kidding when I posted that, taking my own projection about as seriously as I take SI's, or ESPN's for that matter. I read these 'top 100' lists for humor, not insight.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
diando wrote:

Well excuse me for holding a consistent view. I don't just automatically recant just because somebody is a Laker, especially when I campaigned for a whole year for that certain someone to not to sign with the Lakers.
This someone who was mentioned earlier, has a reputation of trying to control narratives.I for one did not sit through the Robert Sacre years for someone to come in to try to piggyback on certain narratives, especially ones related to Laker-lore, as well as ones that will probably diminish the contributions of our young core.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject:

diando wrote:
Judah wrote:
diando wrote:

Well excuse me for holding a consistent view. I don't just automatically recant just because somebody is a Laker, especially when I campaigned for a whole year for that certain someone to not to sign with the Lakers.
This someone who was mentioned earlier, has a reputation of trying to control narratives.I for one did not sit through the Robert Sacre years for someone to come in to try to piggyback on certain narratives, especially ones related to Laker-lore, as well as ones that will probably diminish the contributions of our young core.

This off season was one of the best off season in our history, why not enjoy it? Do you prefer seeing that infamous line up of Sacre/Ryan Kelly/Xavier Henry/ we had to put out there a few seasons ago?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
diando wrote:

Championship parade and he would still blame LBJ.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject:

How can LeBron Diminish the young core? He’s considered to be very unselfish and has already told the players to get ready for his passes, he wants to make them better.
tkLAKERS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

I guess at the worst he will turn our young core into spot up shooters?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject:

tkLAKERS wrote:
I guess at the worst he will turn our young core into spot up shooters?

He will turn them into winners and that’s what we want to see as fans.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject:

diando wrote:

I don’t think it’s an excuse, it’s a narrative. The national media is underrating the team as a whole and LeBrons supporting cast specifically so once the team easily surpasses the “borderline playoff team” expectations, LeBron can cruise into an MVP award and they can continue to argue MJ vs LeBron. It’s obvious what’s going on IMO and I’m fine with it. I guarantee you execs/coaches/players in the league know the Lakers are going to be a tough out in the playoffs for anybody(besides maybe GSW if Cousins is healthy). Let the media set up LeBron for an MVP award, the Lakers haven’t had an MVP in too long.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
diando wrote:

I think he’s right, not cause I hate LeBron but because the media needs constant content and LeBron carrying a seemingly “bad” team to contention draws attention. Just like any other topic, the media cares more about how something can be dramatized than how it actually is.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Judah wrote:
diando wrote:

I think he’s right, not cause I hate LeBron but because the media needs constant content and LeBron carrying a seemingly “bad” team to contention draws attention. Just like any other topic, the media cares more about how something can be dramatized than how it actually is.

You think it's intentional?
I think most people/media folk just don't watch games.
They look at box scores and team records.
So unless they're like us and watch almost all Lakers games, they have to go off of box score and team record. And if you do that, you would think the Lakers are not good. So you think the players are not good.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
cyborgspider wrote:
Meh. Same ol' story: some publication wants clicks, so they rag on the Lakers. No need to get worked up. Good thing the games aren't decided by blogger/writer rankings.

Just curious though, where were they at last year?

How does that work? How does ragging on Lakers generate more clicks?

It gets posted on Reddit. Lakers twitter. Popular Laker bloggers/internet personalities like Ry Cole, Anthony Irwin, Harrison Faigen, Darius Soriano, etc etc, get roped into either defending the players or defending the author.

The link goes around and around and around, it gets talked about on Locked On Lakers or Lakers Nation podcast. All the while, raking in clicks so casual fans and hardcore fans alike can read the article and see what all the hub-bub is about.

*EDIT: OH, and yeah, also, Inspector Gadget posting the link on a Lakers site and as of my writing, the thread has 1000 Views, so I know SOME of you clicked on it that wouldn't otherwise. That's how it generates more clicks, Long Beach Poly.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Judah wrote:
diando wrote:

So unless they're like us and watch almost all Lakers games, they have to go off of box score and team record. And if you do that, you would think the Lakers are not good. So you think the players are not good.

Yea I do. It’s somewhat not seeing them play but I think it’s intentional a lot of the time. An on tv analyst may not have seen them but those guys usually have at least one if not a few assistants who work for them and relay the message. Obviously some of it is ignorance but the widespread marginalizing of the signings as well as the young guys has to be click bait and plot set up. LeBron took a fairly clearly worse team IMO to the finals yet the Lakers are a borderline playoff team? No chance. I know the West is way better but come on. Denver is widely talked about as a better team and they were only about 10 games better last year, with less injuries, and we added the best player in the world. It’s popular to hate on the Lakers and love on LeBron, they are using that to set up a narrative for the season.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
epak wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Judah wrote:
diando wrote:

Yea I do. It’s somewhat not seeing them play but I think it’s intentional a lot of the time. An on tv analyst may not have seen them but those guys usually have at least one if not a few assistants who work for them and relay the message. Obviously some of it is ignorance but the widespread marginalizing of the signings as well as the young guys has to be click bait and plot set up. LeBron took a fairly clearly worse team IMO to the finals yet the Lakers are a borderline playoff team? No chance. I know the West is way better but come on. Denver is widely talked about as a better team and they were only about 10 games better last year, with less injuries, and we added the best player in the world. It’s popular to hate on the Lakers and love on LeBron, they are using that to set up a narrative for the season.

I'm interested to see how this plays out this year.
Hopefully, those in the know won't let this go unchecked.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
70sdude wrote:
SI is projecting Randle (#72) only a marginally better player for the upcoming season compared to BI (#75). I have no problem with that assessment. Ingram may eventually become a higher impact player than Randle after another year's seasoning, but he's still a project (rawness) in the way that Randle was a year back. I see the two guys reversing order and moving up in SI's opinion in next year's article.

Rating Lonzo #100 is an obvious move towards click-bait for the sponsor. Sure the kid's got potential, but so far, what's he really done in this league ? Not much, but he's got a rare feel for the game for his age, and he's ripe to improve. Thank goodness, too; there's a lot he needs to improve upon (shooting, dribble control, resistence to recurring injury.)

I like that you tell it like it is and that makes me respect you more, but realistic speaking there is no way Randle is gonna be a better player then BI in the up coming season, even if he puts up better stats his Impact on the floor is greater then Randle’s... he probably won’t even get enough touches in New Orleans with Mirotic/Davis/Jrue getting buck of the shots.

As for Ball, you say what he hasn’t done in this league? I’m gonna take a good guess and say that for a 19 year old he put up historical numbers as a rookie.

2P%: piss poor
3P%: gawd awful
FT%: don't get me started, a rate bad even for a center

Historical numbers, OK, ummmm - a counter citation please ? If you're counting starts as a measure of accomplishment, don't bother. He had little competition in the rotation before mid-season for PT, as the FO was going to put him out there no matter what. I loved him at UCLA, I'm over at Bruin Gold daily during the season under the same handle as here, but Lonzo did not have a good rookie season.

I will say we seem to disagree about his defensive play; he was just typically rook in quality as a defender: unable to cover anyone his own size. I saw that all year and in his days at UCLA.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
70sdude wrote:
SI is projecting Randle (#72) only a marginally better player for the upcoming season compared to BI (#75). I have no problem with that assessment. Ingram may eventually become a higher impact player than Randle after another year's seasoning, but he's still a project (rawness) in the way that Randle was a year back. I see the two guys reversing order and moving up in SI's opinion in next year's article.

Rating Lonzo #100 is an obvious move towards click-bait for the sponsor. Sure the kid's got potential, but so far, what's he really done in this league ? Not much, but he's got a rare feel for the game for his age, and he's ripe to improve. Thank goodness, too; there's a lot he needs to improve upon (shooting, dribble control, resistence to recurring injury.)

I like that you tell it like it is and that makes me respect you more, but realistic speaking there is no way Randle is gonna be a better player then BI in the up coming season, even if he puts up better stats his Impact on the floor is greater then Randle’s... he probably won’t even get enough touches in New Orleans with Mirotic/Davis/Jrue getting buck of the shots.

As for Ball, you say what he hasn’t done in this league? I’m gonna take a good guess and say that for a 19 year old he put up historical numbers as a rookie.

Historical numbers, OK, ummmm - a counter citation please ? If you're counting starts as a measure of accomplishment, don't bother. He had little competition in the rotation before mid-season for PT, as the FO was going to put him out there no matter what. I loved him at UCLA, I'm over at Bruin Gold daily during the season under the same handle as here, but Lonzo did not have a good rookie season.

I will say we seem to disagree about his defensive play; he was just typically rook in quality as a defender: unable to cover anyone his own size. I saw that all year and in his days at UCLA.

Only 4 players have averaged 10/7/7. One is a HOFer, one is the best player in the world, one was the rookie of the year, and the other is Lonzo. Fairly historic. And I’m not even gonna get into defense if that is your opinion. Guys his own size aren’t the ones who give him issues.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
70sdude wrote:

It’s you’re opinion so I have to accept it, but I don’t think Ball was as awful as you are preceving him to be, its hard for anyone to put up 10/7/7 as a 19 year old rookie.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
lol, how is lonzo better than kuz so far? just passing.

sb, i usually ride with you. but dont get so excited over a guys ability to score when you havent seen him do anything else at a high level(yet).

he can score. is he a good defender yet? not yet
is he a good passer? at times he's decent to pretty good.
is he a good rebounder? not yet. he's just ok. we're not going off of stats. just doing off of how often have you send him come up with the board in traffic, how many times have you seen him box out some rebounder from another team where he ends up getting the rebound? not often..at least not yet.

Lonzo's scoring is shaky as heck. But everything else. literally everything else is good to very good and zo went to college for one year. Kuz was there for 3 years.

I'll do you one better sb.

Some people think in today's game scoring is everything. not true. scoring is only everything if you're an ELITE scorer with great passing ability. so you're great at 2 things. thats james harden in a nutshell. thats also mvp steve nash.

you can't just be great at scoring and thats that. that wont be enough to help your team even get into the playoffs.

thats how you have to look at it. if one guy was on a team with a bunch of no namers. which guy would get his team more wins? broke shot Zo, or money Kuz? the answer is ZO(if healthy, and thats his real problem until further notice. then comes his shooting issues.)

If zo never progresses when it comes to shooting and only gets a little better at scoring in the paint. he will become Rondo. If kuz only gets a little more consistent with his scoring and gets starter mins. Kuz would end up being prime Jamison. Ask yourself, what team is jamison helping get a ton of wins for if he's on the team by himself? its not happening. thats why scoring alone isnt everything. now if kuz all of a sudden started becoming a dynamic passer, then sorry zo. but i can say if zo starts making his 3's like he did in college(he shot nba range threes there a lot too.) and if he started making 68% of his ft's and making a few more layups. he would go from rank 100 to rank 50 just like that. since he already does everything else well.
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

Terrible top 100 list so far. But I can't really expect anything good to come from SI these days.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject:

KungPau wrote:
Terrible top 100 list so far. But I can't really expect anything good to come from SI these days.

SI has a lot of relevant guys on that site like Lee Jenkins for example.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: