OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 229, 230, 231 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Yueh Fei Returns wrote:
Agramer wrote:
MJST wrote:

Zubac can play, whether or not the Lakers treat him like "the one they didn't pick for greatness" and thus mis-utilize him while we watch another team get him and reap the benefits is up to them. But the kid has a lot of talent and can be of use to this team if he's given the opportunity. It's just about them giving him the opportunity. We already know the "earn it" rhetoric is bull. So it's really up to them to give him play time.

i predict right now, that if Zubac has a good season, most of people here will dismiss it as "oh, it's just because of LeBron". He'll profit from playing with LeBron for sure, but also his talent will have something to do with it

Yes, I agree that will definitely happen. And I say to those naysayers, what is wrong with that? He's putting up those numbers as a center on the Lakers. Getting your youngsters to have break-out years just helps the team overall, short term and long term.

If Zubac averages 10/6 he will be a very nice asset in a trade. No extra pick is too low for our scouting department.

I really hate the rhetoric of "If a young player on our team plays well let's move him in a trade for a pick".

The point of using picks is to get players that start coming into their own and contributing for the team. It's self defeating to get a steal like Zubac and then when he starts playing up to it, say "alright! perfect time to move him for another pick we hope can do the same thing in 3-4 seasons" >_>

No, that's only one thing you can use a pick for. Every team isn't in the same situation or have the same resources at their disposal. The FO values flexibility, so if there's a need to be met or an advantage to be had and a pick can be used to help them get it, they should do it if they truly believe it's what's best for the team. And why wouldn't they? That's their job. And in the same way, if they thought it would be better for the team to retain a pick or a young player, they can do that too. Not too long ago we were talking about using picks to get rid of Deng. But they got rid of Deng without having to use any, so they're still in a strong position of flexibility.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
I think a good season for Zubac, would be 10/7 with 1 block a game. Considering the kind of minutes he'll likely be getting.

If he gets a good 25 MPG and puts up 10/7 with 1 block, and his Per35 was something like 15/10 then I think that would work pretty well.

The problem is, if he's a center coming into his own at 21, if the Lakers would be smart enough to re-sign him so they can have him when he's 24, or if they'll let him walk while going after another max.

I think their greatest fear at this point (sadly) is if Zubac DOES have a breakout year it means they'll have to pay him, and they aren't in the business of seeing the actual young players they didn't decree, as one of the players they actually want to pay. Unless they've chosen them for greatness.

Players like Kuzma or Ingram I doubt they'd have issue paying. But if Hart starts blowing up and playing out of his mind before his contract comes up, they'll likely let him walk if it means they can go after another max/role player that's already established instead of the guy who established himself on their team.

So we'll see how this all goes.

I prefer our situation to Minnesota's whom is trying to create the 2011 Bulls, and I am so glad we DIDN'T get Thibs.

So they should prioritize retaining Zubac over getting Kawhi, Jimmy Butler or some other legit star? Get outta here. Training camp is two weeks away and you still haven't accepted that the rebuild is over with. The biggest need right now is another star next to LeBron. Do you expect Zubac to play like the Croatian Shaq this year? If not, they're not going to pass on adding a second max player just so they can have enough money to pay Zubac in three years. Get real, man.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
I think a good season for Zubac, would be 10/7 with 1 block a game. Considering the kind of minutes he'll likely be getting.

If he gets a good 25 MPG and puts up 10/7 with 1 block, and his Per35 was something like 15/10 then I think that would work pretty well.

The problem is, if he's a center coming into his own at 21, if the Lakers would be smart enough to re-sign him so they can have him when he's 24, or if they'll let him walk while going after another max.

I think their greatest fear at this point (sadly) is if Zubac DOES have a breakout year it means they'll have to pay him, and they aren't in the business of seeing the actual young players they didn't decree, as one of the players they actually want to pay. Unless they've chosen them for greatness.

Players like Kuzma or Ingram I doubt they'd have issue paying. But if Hart starts blowing up and playing out of his mind before his contract comes up, they'll likely let him walk if it means they can go after another max/role player that's already established instead of the guy who established himself on their team.

I prefer our situation to Minnesota's whom is trying to create the 2011 Bulls, and I am so glad we DIDN'T get Thibs.

MJST, I think you are correct. The only way that the Lakers keep Zubac is if he does not have a break out year. While the cap is around $101 million, the luxury tax kicks in around $123 million. I don't expect the Lakers to go beyond the luxury tax level any more (which they could do since they have Bird rights on the players who comprise the young core). With two players (Lebron and next years max) taking around $75 million, it doesn't leave much room for the Lakers to pay the rest of the team. Magic and Pelinka are probably saving a large percentage of that for BI, Kuzma and Ball. There just isn't much left to spread around to Zubac, Hart, Svi, Wagner, etc.

--Anonymous
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject:

If Zubac has a good year I think he will be retained. It really comes down to who plays better on our team, Zubac or McGee. Now if Zu doesn't play all that well and Wagner looks good, then Zu is done here.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject:

The Zubac - BI tandem has a chance to be something really special. I’d rather see that at Staples than some wanna be Rockets team.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:

So they should prioritize retaining Zubac over getting Kawhi, Jimmy Butler or some other legit star? Get outta here. Training camp is two weeks away and you still haven't accepted that the rebuild is over with. The biggest need right now is another star next to LeBron. Do you expect Zubac to play like the Croatian Shaq this year? If not, they're not going to pass on adding a second max player just so they can have enough money to pay Zubac in three years. Get real, man.

I believe that they still have a max spot with Zu's qualifying offer. If he as a blow out year or shows he is at least a rotation player they will pay him after they use us the salary cap money. If we add a Max player Lakers will go over the cap for the foreseeable future.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
So weird to see Zu still here, especially after his crappy season and all the changes on the team. Truth be told, I haven’t watched his national team play, but maybe the Lakers see something in him. Either that or his price is just right. I just hope he shows improvement. I know he wasn’t happy least season about not having a chance to go back home and not getting much playing time.

Except that, when you combine his season's lackluster start with its strong finish, at the end of the day it wasn't a crappy season at all. It just wasn't the leap forward everybody was hoping for.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
No one who mentions the possibility of Beasley at C is suggesting that he would/should play against big, traditional centers. They're talking about C in a small ball lineup.

But while every team may have a small ball lineup, they're not running them out there for 48 minutes, the way some fans seem to want this team to do.

Even the gold standard of small ball, the Warriors, would play Bogut and Pachulia 15-25 minutes. If the idea is Beasley for small ball C, then is Beasley going to take minutes from Lebron, who is also expected to play small ball C? Or are people counting on other teams to not play traditional centers at all? Because that's not happening.

You play small ball when you've got a wing (Draymond Green, Lebron James, Shawn Marion) in the game who can flip the script and handle some big man duties and not get totally exposed for a few minutes. Beasley is not one of those guys.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
Judah wrote:
No one who mentions the possibility of Beasley at C is suggesting that he would/should play against big, traditional centers. They're talking about C in a small ball lineup.

But while every team may have a small ball lineup, they're not running them out there for 48 minutes, the way some fans seem to want this team to do.

Even the gold standard of small ball, the Warriors, would play Bogut and Pachulia 15-25 minutes. If the idea is Beasley for small ball C, then is Beasley going to take minutes from Lebron, who is also expected to play small ball C? Or are people counting on other teams to not play traditional centers at all? Because that's not happening.

You play small ball when you've got a wing (Draymond Green, Lebron James, Shawn Marion) in the game who can flip the script and handle some big man duties and not get totally exposed for a few minutes. Beasley is not one of those guys.

GS has played centers about 25-30 minutes per game and they are built for small ball. People like to exaggerate the whole small ball stuff. I agree with you.

That said small ball isn't just about not playing a center. Its about having 5 players on the floor who can do everything or at least a lot.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
Judah wrote:

GS has played centers about 25-30 minutes per game and they are built for small ball. People like to exaggerate the whole small ball stuff. I agree with you.

That said small ball isn't just about not playing a center. Its about having 5 players on the floor who can do everything or at least a lot.

Also agree. The one common factor with top teams these past 2-3 years is they had good/great defensive oriented centers.

D Green, C Capela, De Andre Jordan, A Horford, S Adams and even T Thompson. They also provide rebounding and rim protection.
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject:

Ivica Zubac highlights 3/3/2018

All’s I’m saying.
Trevacious2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

RobinInHood wrote:

All’s I’m saying.

Yes! And soon, in the near-future, he Stays In The Game and proceeds to "Finish Them."
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject:

Trevacious2 wrote:
RobinInHood wrote:

All’s I’m saying.

Yes! And soon, in the near-future, he Stays In The Game and proceeds to "Finish Them."

Did anyone even interview him yesterday? He's got to impress a lot of people on the coaching staff and team to get any minutes.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Trevacious2 wrote:
RobinInHood wrote:

All’s I’m saying.

Did anyone even interview him yesterday? He's got to impress a lot of people on the coaching staff and team to get any minutes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NR5wT2o4bi8
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Trevacious2 wrote:
RobinInHood wrote:

All’s I’m saying.

Love his comment ..."ready to take what's mine" when discussing playing time.

Rooting for him to prove it.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Trevacious2 wrote:
RobinInHood wrote:

All’s I’m saying.

Love his comment ..."ready to take what's mine" when discussing playing time.

Rooting for him to prove it.

Yupe
ZenMaster4President
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately for Zu, who I root for, Moe is gonna eat his lunch.
Lovefool
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Quote:
ZenMaster4President wrote:
Unfortunately for Zu, who I root for, Moe is gonna eat his lunch.

Moe isn't any good on defense yet. Zu can atleast guard the post. Moe's only strength rn is his outside shot. It's gonna take him a year or two to get the strength to play the 5. Zu will eat him alive down there.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject:

RobinInHood wrote:

All’s I’m saying.

Tbh, Da Pope looks dopest in these highlights.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:
Yueh Fei Returns wrote:
Agramer wrote:
MJST wrote:

Zubac can play, whether or not the Lakers treat him like "the one they didn't pick for greatness" and thus mis-utilize him while we watch another team get him and reap the benefits is up to them. But the kid has a lot of talent and can be of use to this team if he's given the opportunity. It's just about them giving him the opportunity. We already know the "earn it" rhetoric is bull. So it's really up to them to give him play time.

i predict right now, that if Zubac has a good season, most of people here will dismiss it as "oh, it's just because of LeBron". He'll profit from playing with LeBron for sure, but also his talent will have something to do with it

Yes, I agree that will definitely happen. And I say to those naysayers, what is wrong with that? He's putting up those numbers as a center on the Lakers. Getting your youngsters to have break-out years just helps the team overall, short term and long term.

If Zubac averages 10/6 he will be a very nice asset in a trade. No extra pick is too low for our scouting department.

I really hate the rhetoric of "If a young player on our team plays well let's move him in a trade for a pick".

The point of using picks is to get players that start coming into their own and contributing for the team. It's self defeating to get a steal like Zubac and then when he starts playing up to it, say "alright! perfect time to move him for another pick we hope can do the same thing in 3-4 seasons" >_>

No, that's only one thing you can use a pick for. Every team isn't in the same situation or have the same resources at their disposal. The FO values flexibility, so if there's a need to be met or an advantage to be had and a pick can be used to help them get it, they should do it if they truly believe it's what's best for the team. And why wouldn't they? That's their job. And in the same way, if they thought it would be better for the team to retain a pick or a young player, they can do that too. Not too long ago we were talking about using picks to get rid of Deng. But they got rid of Deng without having to use any, so they're still in a strong position of flexibility.

Was Zubac a bust or a wasted pick? We spent pretty much a 1st rd pick on him (2nd pick of 2nd rd)
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:
Yueh Fei Returns wrote:
Agramer wrote:
MJST wrote:

Was Zubac a bust or a wasted pick? We spent pretty much a 1st rd pick on him (2nd pick of 2nd rd)

He's definitely not a bust. He was a second round pick, so it's not like he came in with big expectations. His rookie season was impressive. I think he's a victim of bad timing. He's a traditional center, but the way the game is played in the modern NBA changed just prior to him entering the league. He would've been a late first round pick (at worst) a decade ago or so.

I wouldn't necessarily say he was a wasted pick either (though he was picked several spots ahead of the eventual ROTY). He still has the potential to at least be solid at some important things (finishing around the rim, protecting the paint). If he can at least be solid it'll be good for the Lakers in the limited minutes he gets. The two things standing in his way are:

1) McGee getting more minutes than many people assumed. He said yesterday that he'd like to play more minutes than he did last season.

2) Magic said the Lakers want to play even faster this year than they did last year, and they're stocked with wings. Unless he's just super impressive his minutes will be very limited, if not inconsistent.

Last edited by Judah on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:
Yueh Fei Returns wrote:
Agramer wrote:
MJST wrote:

Given the success rate or lack of for 1st round picks I would never label a 2nd round pick as a bust.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:
Yueh Fei Returns wrote:
Agramer wrote:
MJST wrote:

Given the success rate or lack of for 1st round picks I would never label a 2nd round pick as a bust.

And to top it off, it was a poor draft overall.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

And to top it off, it was a poor draft overall.

--Anonymous
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject:

He lost over 20 pounds weight
In his highlights for croatia you can see him moving much quicker
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 229, 230, 231 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 230 of 290
Jump to: