Andrew Bynum comeback!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

If his knees are bone to bone, he’s done or been done i guess. It’ll just get inflammed by even non-strenuous exercise... unless LeBron let him use his cryochamber daily
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject:

I have a hard time believing Bynum could contribute.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject:

i'd love to have bynum, he was once the best center in the league and he does very important things.
I don't think his knees are "glass"...the injuries he had are squarely in the "fluke" category of people landing awkwardly on his knees and legs, in a way that would injure anyone's knee. THat's not glass.
But a lot of people are saying his knees are already bone on bone. Is that true? I don't remember that.
He's only 30!
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
i'd love to have bynum, he was once the best center in the league and he does very important things.
I don't think his knees are "glass"...the injuries he had are squarely in the "fluke" category of people landing awkwardly on his knees and legs, in a way that would injure anyone's knee. THat's not glass.
But a lot of people are saying his knees are already bone on bone. Is that true? I don't remember that.
He's only 30!

I thought it was bone to bone since he had to retire at 25/26 but I don’t have the actual medical facts
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
He's only 30!

I thought it was bone to bone since he had to retire at 25/26 but I don’t have the actual medical facts

just from a quick search, this is the most specific explanation I could find. Sounds somewhat concerning, but hard to tell what it means in terms of day to day basketball:
Quote:
January 2009: Right medial collateral ligament tear. Missed 32 games. Injury unrelated to the dislocated knee but MCL tear suggested he was "loose-jointed" and "sensitive to contact injuries in the future," DiNubile told the Los Angeles Times.

https://www.fearthesword.com/2013/7/15/4525390/nba-free-agency-a-look-at-andrew-bynums-chronic-knee-issues
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
Bad culture fit. Bad attitude. Lazy.

He could never guard he perimeter and would not be able to switch in today’s league. Not with his knees.

I wouldn't deny him on the attitude part, people grow up. And the guy looks motivated enough to work on his shot and get in good shape to try and make the comeback. Redemption stories are the best.

I would deny him mostly on the perimeter-guarding part. Nothing I've seen in those clips show me he's ready to switch on the perimeter, and those things only get worse with age, let alone coming off bad knee injuries... Kudos to him for getting in great shape, but I don't think he'll be a good fit here.

Exactly. Unless you're Shaq in the middle on offense, the modern game doesn't justify what the defense loses when a guy that size is expected to rotate out to the perimeter. And those knees...
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

BUT I was a big Bynum supporter back in the day, so I'd love to see him latch on somewhere and make an impact. It would be a nice story.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:

History will repeat himself. He'll play a game or two. Something will happen outta no where and he'll be injured. I remember a time when I used to watch bynum and I used to say to myself, "please don't get hurt don't get hurt don't get hurt."No thanks.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Hasn't played in a professional league in years, has health problems and people expect him to come into the NBA and contribute? More likely he'll never get off the bench.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

MoriArty wrote:
I would love it if he could be viable, he was one of my favorites. I don't see it. Good luck to him in any case.

Funny how Mike Brown benched him for taking threes in-game back in 2012. Nowadays every big is launching 'em.
i was thinking this the other day. he was trying to expand his game. he did what kobe use to do. practice things he worked on in practice during the game. it was just that mike wasnt having it since he was so young still. but thats what great players do. they work on things then try them mid game to see if they work and keep testing them out then tweak them in practice or on their own later. wash, rinse, repeat. I use to hate when young kobe would do that. then i realize what he was doing. he was working on his game at game speed vs real life defenses.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject:

It isn't just the injuries and the long layoff. Bynum left the NBA on bad terms.

Quote:
On December 28, Bynum was suspended indefinitely by the Cavaliers for conduct detrimental to the team; he had been thrown out of practice after shooting the ball every time he received it, regardless of how far he was from the basket.

Cost the Cavs a first round pick to trade him two weeks later to the Bull and immediately released and picked up by the Pacers .

Quote:
Andrew Bynum's career as a Pacer has reached its unceremonious conclusion. On Wednesday the team announced that Bynum, who has not played in a game since Mar. 15, would no longer be involved in Pacers activities and was officially ruled out for the postseason.

His agent is really going to earn his percentage to get a team to take a chance on him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject:

if Bynum's knees could hold up, he'd be a welcome addition to most any team.

Problem is, his knees rarely hold up.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject:

he'd dominate the big 3
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

If those are the criteria, then I'd rather we sign Kareem.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

Sources: Former Los Angeles Lakers champion center Andrew Bynum worked out in the Lakers' facility this week as he pursues NBA comeback. Not an official Lakers workout, but gave Bynum opportunity for open gym runs.

Quote:
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

Under current Lakers leadership, there's been open door for the franchise's past and present players. Bynum won two titles in LA and was 2012 All-Star. He is scheduling other team workouts, too, in his comeback bid.

Should this go back to the lakers lounge?
tony
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject:

Bring him back for flagrant 2s
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Quote:
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

Sources: Former Los Angeles Lakers champion center Andrew Bynum worked out in the Lakers' facility this week as he pursues NBA comeback. Not an official Lakers workout, but gave Bynum opportunity for open gym runs.

Quote:
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

Under current Lakers leadership, there's been open door for the franchise's past and present players. Bynum won two titles in LA and was 2012 All-Star. He is scheduling other team workouts, too, in his comeback bid.

Should this go back to the lakers lounge?

I’m rooting for him, even if he doesn’t sign here he can still end up having a decent NBA career if he stays relevantly healthy.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
OH hell yeah in a heartbeat I would decline

Coach Wooden
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: