Botham Jean Shooting
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Botham Jean Shooting

My goodness, this is so tragic for the young man and his family. Literally in his own home and he gets gunned down. The investigation is ongoing, but what the hell happened here?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject:

The same old. Off duty cop shoots and killed unarmed black person.

Only difference in this case the shooter is a young female.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject:

Off duty... does it change anything legally? I mean is this breaking and entering followed by murder (unplanned)? or is this an officer of the law exercising her right under the belief she was being robbed in her own home? I guess what I'm saying is would the law be different if she wasn't an off duty cop (let say a teacher)?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Off duty... does it change anything legally? I mean is this breaking and entering followed by murder (unplanned)? or is this an officer of the law exercising her right under the belief she was being robbed in her own home? I guess what I'm saying is would the law be different if she wasn't an off duty cop (let say a teacher)?

I don't think she will have a color of law defense. She was not on duty, and returning to home. This will be an interesting litmus test.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject:

I'm trapped following it

Cold Blooded Premeditated Murder
^^but there is still a small chance she was this disillusioned. If maybe she only lived there a very short time

Why haven't the actual police told her her story is (bleep) (bleep)

What level of retardation does it take to be hired there?

BIG RED MAT in front of door
HOTEL STYLE LOCKS
The door locks when closed. Period
Open. Up Open Up
Had to step outside to tell 911 where she was?

I hope if she has ties to racists and this was something more sinister that they are taken down too

Destined to be a leader of community relations
Loved by everyone

Noise complaints? All I know is she should have been IMMEDIATELY ARRESTED
Wtf kind of banana republic is Dallas. Kill a negro and not get arrested for three days

But first reports were she lived above him..
Quote:

The only connection we have been able to make is that she was his immediate downstairs neighbor,” Meritt said. “And there were noise complaints from the immediate downstairs neighbors about whoever was upstairs, and that would have been Botham. In fact, there were noise complaints that very day about upstairs activity in Botham’s apartment. Botham received a phone call about noise coming from his apartment from the downstairs neighbor
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/attorney-reveals-potential-link-dallas-cop-innocent-man-gunned-apartment/

BTW
(bleep) NIKE for giving a (bleep) about blacks killed by cops.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject:

Did they test her for alcohol?

Just because she was in uniform arriving home doesn't mean she hadn't been drinking, a lot of cops booze regularly after their shifts.

There is more to this story than meets the eye, I am not buying her story.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:

I don't think she will have a color of law defense. She was not on duty, and returning to home. This will be an interesting litmus test.

So an off duty cop is 'regular' citizen right? That's what I'm confused about, cause reports that she was 'giving verbal commands' as a cop
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:

So an off duty cop is 'regular' citizen right? That's what I'm confused about, cause reports that she was 'giving verbal commands' as a cop

IMO that's her concocting a defense after the fact.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

No, you're a cop 24 hours a day. This doesn't mean that everything you do is official police business. It means that you have duties and responsibilities even if you are off duty.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:

No, you're a cop 24 hours a day. This doesn't mean that everything you do is official police business. It means that you have duties and responsibilities even if you are off duty.

This is what I'm confused about. Does being a cop legally gives her the authority to do what she did? (I'm not defending her, I think she is guilty, I'm just curious what would be different between off duty cop vs regular citizen when it comes to legal defense in the court argument)
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject:

Dallas police officer could face stiffer charge for killing unarmed neighbor, DA says

LINK

Quote:
Attorney S. Lee Merritt said the family has not been satisfied with the information coming out of the district attorney's office. Nor were they pleased it took three days to charge Guyger when, in Merritt's view, the officer's admission she shot him was sufficient to merit an arrest on manslaughter charges, he said.
"The promise of transparency to this family has been a blank check," Merritt said.

IMO this is suspect. Not saying it's not true, saying it's suspect.

Quote:
The door was slightly ajar as she tried to use her key, which has an electronic chip, to enter. When she was able to open the door, she saw the interior was nearly completely dark, according to the affidavit. She described seeing a large silhouette and, believing there was a burglar in her apartment, drew her firearm.

Quote:
"We're still dealing in America with black people being killed in some of the most arbitrary ways, driving while black, walking while black and now we have to add living while black," co-counsel Benjamin Crump said.
Remember him?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:

This is always interesting to me. So can cops get hammered at night yet still be called upon to police when the time is necessary?

The civil suit should be interesting as the PD will assuredly be sued as well as the shooter in both capacities.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:

This is what I'm confused about. Does being a cop legally gives her the authority to do what she did? (I'm not defending her, I think she is guilty, I'm just curious what would be different between off duty cop vs regular citizen when it comes to legal defense in the court argument)

I really don't know about her legal power to issue commands after entering someone else's apartment without a warrant while off duty. I could see the law going either way on that issue. If we accept her story at face value, she was there by mistake, but not in bad faith. But she's still off duty and not acting on official business.

However, I won't be surprised if this case takes some unexpected twists.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Did they test her for alcohol?

Just because she was in uniform arriving home doesn't mean she hadn't been drinking, a lot of cops booze regularly after their shifts.

There is more to this story than meets the eye, I am not buying her story.

like someone else said. if she just moved in. I can semi buy the "i thought it was my apartment excuse. ....semi

if she's been there for awhile. the only logical reason to think that was your apartment is if you were drunk or on drugs.

or of course, door #3. she was lying and decided to shoot the dude for some other nefarious reason(s).
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Dallas police officer could face stiffer charge for killing unarmed neighbor, DA says

LINK

Quote:
Attorney S. Lee Merritt said the family has not been satisfied with the information coming out of the district attorney's office. Nor were they pleased it took three days to charge Guyger when, in Merritt's view, the officer's admission she shot him was sufficient to merit an arrest on manslaughter charges, he said.
"The promise of transparency to this family has been a blank check," Merritt said.

Quote:
The door was slightly ajar as she tried to use her key, which has an electronic chip, to enter. When she was able to open the door, she saw the interior was nearly completely dark, according to the affidavit. She described seeing a large silhouette and, believing there was a burglar in her apartment, drew her firearm.

Quote:
"We're still dealing in America with black people being killed in some of the most arbitrary ways, driving while black, walking while black and now we have to add living while black," co-counsel Benjamin Crump said.
Remember him?
who's that guy?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject:

I don't have a link but one report on MSNBC said a neighbor contradicted her story (who knows if neighbor is legit). The neighbor said he heard banging on a door and then a man saying something like, "Why are you doing this?"

No idea if true. Will look for written articles and will post if I come across one.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Remember him?
who's that guy?

Trayvon Martin family attorney.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I don't have a link but one report on MSNBC said a neighbor contradicted her story (who knows if neighbor is legit). The neighbor said he heard banging on a door and then a man saying something like, "Why are you doing this?"

No idea if true. Will look for written articles and will post if I come across one.

Witnesses dispute Dallas cop's account in fatal shooting of neighbor, attorney says

LINK

Quote:
Attorneys for Jean's family say two witnesses told them details that contradict Guyger's account.

"They heard knocking down the hallway followed by a woman's voice that they believe to be officer Guyger saying, 'Let me in. Let me in,'" attorney Lee Merritt said.

The family's attorneys say one of the witnesses then heard gunshots followed by a man's voice.

"What we believe to be the last words of Botham Jean which was 'Oh my god, why did you do that?'" Merritt said.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:

or of course, door #3. she was lying and decided to shoot the dude for some other nefarious reason(s).

Or for the most mundane reason.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

How many times do Officers have to work 14-15 hour days and why is that logical.

They don't just need live bodies.. they need conscious adults.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject:

I'm going to wildly speculate based on nothing -- I wouldn't be surprised if they had hooked up and had an affair at some point. It ended, she was jealous, maybe seeing other women come and go. One night, boom, revenge.

That makes a lot more sense than her story about accidentally putting a key in an open door thinking it was her apartment.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I'm going to wildly speculate based on nothing -- I wouldn't be surprised if they had hooked up and had an affair at some point. It ended, she was jealous, maybe seeing other women come and go. One night, boom, revenge.

That makes a lot more sense than her story about accidentally putting a key in an open door thinking it was her apartment.

Hmm, from all accounts, he was a fairly devout Christian (and yes that doesn't mean everything) and reports say the two didn't know each other.

I think she was high or drunk after work, went to the wrong place, saw a black man in what she thought was her apartment and straight up killed him.

Either way, and we'll find out what happened, this is terrible. I'd rather not speculate on the deceased and his culpability at this point.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject:

I've watched too many episodes of Law & Order.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I've watched too many episodes of Law & Order.

I saw a LOT of articles speculating the same and Reddit was rife with (mis?)information and photos tying the two together. None of it passed the sniff test, and given Reddit's less than stellar history (see: Boston bomber), I was highly skeptical. I haven't looked at any of this since then, which was about a week ago, but it didn't seem like there was a fire, although her story thus far certainly smells smoky.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

This is what I mean by mundane reasons. Here is something I posted on a lawyer's discussion board:

How many of you actually taking her story at face value? Call me cynical and I won't deny it. This whole thing sounds like a load of BS. Let's change the facts a little. Suppose that Sally White is a young office worker. One night, she is in the apartment of her neighbor, Johnny Black. A shot rings out, Johnny Black is dead, and Sally White is holding the pistol. What would you assume happened? Sounds fairly mundane, doesn't it? Now let's make Sally White a police officer. She gives us an unlikely story about how she entered the wrong apartment and mistook Johnny Black for an intruder. Okay, it's not "unlikely." It's borderline preposterous. But if you are a police officer, and you just shot your neighbor in his apartment, it's the kind of story you just might spin out. Obviously, I have no proof of this, but which story sounds more plausible to you?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11
Jump to: