Hollywood Hoops - Robert Horry Should be in the HOF
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Hollywood Hoops - Robert Horry Should be in the HOF

Hey All,

Latest @hollywood_hoops Ep. 101: Making the Hall-of-Fame Case for Former L.A. Lakers Forward Robert Horry w/@JoshMartinNBA
https://www.almightyballer.com/hollywood-hoops-ep-101-making-hall-of-fame-case-lakers-forward-robert-horry/

Cheers,

EP
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject:

If Horry gets into the HOF should Bryon Scott be as well? Both were vital to Lakers title teams..
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject:

Horry is deserving beyond Scott helping the Lakers win titles - helping a team win titles isn't hall-worthy - helping 3 teams to 7 titles in 15 seasons is ...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Horry is deserving beyond Scott helping the Lakers win titles - helping a team win titles isn't hall-worthy - helping 3 teams to 7 titles in 15 seasons is ...

I agree, just trying to give my due to the value Scott had on the Lakers
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject:

This is one take I just can't agree with. I just believe that Hall of Fame players should be the best of the best, the elite players of the league. Horry was elite at what he did, but that's not the same thing.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject:

Horry is the best of the best - in terms of number of rings (outside the Celtics dynasty in the 60s) - more than anyone else - and with 3 different teams - none as a hanger-on - huge shots for each franchise.

Robert Horry > Mitch Richmond in terms of overall impact on the game
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Horry is the best of the best - in terms of number of rings (outside the Celtics dynasty in the 60s) - more than anyone else - and with 3 different teams - none as a hanger-on - huge shots for each franchise.

It's not like your logic is idiotic or anything, and I would think that you know I'm not implying that it is. This is one of the very few times where I just don't agree with your take, and that's OK. I have always had high standards for the HOF in all of sports, though. I believe the Hall Of Fame should only enshrine the truly elite players, perennial All-Stars or All-Pros, that kind of thing.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_players_with_most_championships

Quote:

Robert Horry 7
Houston Rockets (1994, 1995)
Los Angeles Lakers (2000, 2001, 2002)
San Antonio Spurs (2005, 2007)
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject:

I loved Robert Horry and his clutch plays.

Amazing amount of winning, he had the Golden Touch for sure.

That said, it would be ridiculous to put a 7 ppg career scorer in the Hall of Fame.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I loved Robert Horry and his clutch plays.

Amazing amount of winning, he had the Golden Touch for sure.

That said, it would be ridiculous to put a 7 ppg career scorer in the Hall of Fame.

+1
Lovefool
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject:

I love Horry, esp vs the kings lol. He will always be remembered for that. Definitely clutch. But you cant put someone in the Hall when they never made an all star team. The HoF should represent the truly elite. Players that have mastered multiple aspects of the game.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
emplay wrote:

It's not like your logic is idiotic or anything, and I would think that you know I'm not implying that it is. This is one of the very few times where I just don't agree with your take, and that's OK. I have always had high standards for the HOF in all of sports, though. I believe the Hall Of Fame should only enshrine the truly elite players, perennial All-Stars or All-Pros, that kind of thing.

No, it's pretty idiotic.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Did Mitch Richmond impact the NBA more than Horry? Seriously, can you argue that? He made more All-Star teams dictates that he did?
Lovefool
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Did Mitch Richmond impact the NBA more than Horry? Seriously, can you argue that? He made more All-Star teams dictates that he did?

I can argue he impacted actual game plans on a nightly basis. Teams couldn't sleep on Mitch Richmond. There is a reason Jordan considered him one of his toughest one on one matchups he ever had. The man could ball.
You can't say the same for Horry. Teams didn't gameplan him. He wasn't feared. More importantly, Horry wasn't a master of his craft in any particular aspect of the game. By your reasoning, Tmac must have impacted the NBA less than Horry too right?
foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Robert Horry is one of the best role players ever. He had a penchant for playing big when it mattered.

That being said, the only criteria you are focused on is rings. Rings are only one of the criteria that can be used.

He was never even the 3rd player on any time he played on, and if not for guys like Shaq, Kobe and Duncan there wouldn't even be a chance the guy gets to the finals.

I often agree with you, but this time you are way off. Horry no way deserves to be in HOF.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Love Big Shot Bob but this argument is more than a stretch.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Lakers vs Kings game 6, still the single greatest play I have ever witnessed. That play alone is enough for me to put him in the Lakers hall.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Lakers vs Kings game 6, still the single greatest play I have ever witnessed. That play alone is enough for me to put him in the Lakers hall.

game 4
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Any claim that Mitch Richmond had a bigger impact on the NBA than Robert Horry is redic
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject:

If KC Jones, Don Nelson and Tom Sanders can get in... then maybe one can make the argument

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/joneskc01.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nelsodo01.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/sandeto01.html

But then Larry Siegfried didn't make it.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/siegfla01.html

It's a tough call and I can see both sides of the discussion... but the only player statistically worse other than NBA pioneers who were mostly honored for helping to found the league, was KC Jones but I think he was at least known for his defense. Horry's numbers are like Mozgov's.

I thought he was at least a ten points per game guy... but it's amazing how mediocre his numbers are... but then we all have seen his playoff impact... I'm trying to think of any baseball or football player who had a lackluster regular season career but won 7 World Series or Super Bowls.
There are players like Billy Martin, Johnny Podres, Dick Green... who'd come out of nowhere and had an amazing Series... but have any done it four or five times? Same with football you think of one time wonders like Doug Williams, Joe Flacco or Vince Young, but what if they did it multiple times?

He's a unique case, and I certainly wouldn't be upset to see him make it, but his poor regular season numbers really were shocking.
Lovefool
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Any claim that Mitch Richmond had a bigger impact on the NBA than Robert Horry is redic

I guess fish should get in too then huh lmao.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

I think the strongest knock on Robert Horry comes folks like me who saw his career pattern in the long view: of playing on cruise control most of the time. Yes, he was there (only) at rare important moments, and his career lion's share of playing time was essentially as a non-factor for his teams. I'm not calling him lazy or unfocused or unimportant, but man - he disappeared for long stretches and more often than not.

I think it makes for a strong case against his possible Naismith enshrinement.

I liked Rob before his Laker days too. I've like Rob ever since as well. He just reminds me too much of Larry Siegfried; talented, along for the ride most of the time, and a team's seventh fiddle. Can that make for a HoF player ? Not in this case, not for my vote, and no, I don't get a vote.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

did fish win 7 titles, with 3 teams, more than anyone else in the NBA (outside of early Celtics?) - come on now.

Fish impact on Lakers = great but on NBA is marginal.

Horry's is off the charts
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hollywood Hoops - Robert Horry Should be in the HOF

emplay wrote:
Hey All,

Latest @hollywood_hoops Ep. 101: Making the Hall-of-Fame Case for Former L.A. Lakers Forward Robert Horry w/@JoshMartinNBA
https://www.almightyballer.com/hollywood-hoops-ep-101-making-hall-of-fame-case-lakers-forward-robert-horry/

Cheers,

EP

I don't even need to listen to this to know the case.

Pro: He won seven rings with three teams, and hit some big shots.

Con: He never made a single all-star team or won any individual honors; he might have been only the fourth to seventh best players on those ring teams; and his lifetime stats are a pedestrian 7-5-2.

My Opinion: He's not close to being a Hall of Famer.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject:

If Robert Horry makes the HOF (which the basketball HOF is already one of the easiest to get into) it would make it a complete joke.

I find it curious that out of ALL the HOF players you could've picked you very selectively picked Mitch Richmond to make your point. A player who played most of his prime in a small market back in an era where you wouldn't get as much exposure as today (because of lack of internet/social media).

So that then you can qualify your opinion by making some vague "bigger impact" claim that isn't really quantifiable. Horry has more iconic moments and played a huge role(player) in 3 different iconic championship teams. Sure. But Mitch Richmond definitely had a bigger impact as an INDIVIDUAL player. Many people considered him the 2nd best SG behind MJ during the 90s

Even MJ said Mitch Richmond was the hardest player he had to guard back in the day. Also lets not forget his stint with the iconic Run TMC Warriors.

Mitch Richmond all the way. The fact that you would even consider an argument for Horry is more than enough praise for what he did...

So do you also think that Horry deserves to be in the HOF over someone like say Carmelo Anthony or Vince Carter...?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: