Andrew Bynum Working Out At Lakers' Practice Facility
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject:

You don't turn back the odometer on knees.

As for once an athlete always an athlete? That's just a giant load of BS. Run him in a 20 minute 5 on 5 game and he'll be waving the white flag a quarter of the way in at the latest.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject:

even if his knees are good enough for him to run in limited minutes, would he be still be going all out if he's not getting touches?
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject:

Bynum in this clip looks about the best shape I've seen him, looks really slimmed down. I would do a training camp invite, Embiid before Embiid.

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

I really hope he comes back, it will be a great great story if he can help us win a title.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

As for once an athlete always an athlete? That's just a giant load of BS. Run him in a 20 minute 5 on 5 game and he'll be waving the white flag a quarter of the way in at the latest.

I have never seen a player "run" back so slowly from defense to offense. If it weren't for watching Bynum walk down the court, which wasn't really apparent on TV because the camera was so far ahead of him, I wouldn't have so much appreciation for how hard McGee hustles down the court. Hell, McGee has hustled down the court even when the possession didn't change, which I see as a positive.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
I remember in 08 or 09, after a game, Tim Duncan was raving about him and he asked how old was Bynum, and the reporter said 21 and Duncan said, "That's just not fair." The future was so bright.

That’s funny cuz I remember Kobe having a different take about Bynum. Something like ship his as out

He didn't want Andrew shipped out per se. He thought a trade of Andrew Bynum for Jason Kidd was a no brainer.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

Bynum has played less than half of his team's regular season games in his career. He hasn't played a full NBA season for 10 years, and I can't see how you could count on him to stay on the court. Is he really someone you'd want in the rotation if the odds are strong he won't finish the season for you?
tmsxl
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Bynum has played less than half of his team's regular season games in his career. He hasn't played a full NBA season for 10 years, and I can't see how you could count on him to stay on the court. Is he really someone you'd want in the rotation if the odds are strong he won't finish the season for you?

That was him playing 30 minutes a game though. I don't think anyone is advocating that.

Role player Bynum with 10-15 minutes max? Why not. He's more talented than some of the stiffs currently running around playing reserve minutes at the 5.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject:

tmsxl wrote:
activeverb wrote:

That was him playing 30 minutes a game though. I don't think anyone is advocating that.

Role player Bynum with 10-15 minutes max? Why not. He's more talented than some of the stiffs currently running around playing reserve minutes at the 5.

He’s certainly more talented then guys like Aron Baynes who the Celtics started in a lot of there games last season.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers are chock full of high effort guys, I can't see bringing in a bum like Bynum again....
Lakeshow323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

I got to say, the guys stroke looks decent.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject:

tmsxl wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I don't really care so much about scoring, we have plenty offensive firepower on this team, but we are severely lacking in rim protection. A-Bomb has a huge wingspan and was a good shot blocker back in the day. If he is healthy and motivated I would put him on the training camp roster and see how he does. Obviously, he would not play many minutes.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject:

tmsxl wrote:
activeverb wrote:

The "why not" is if you want to give time to a guy who may, based on his history, go down with an injury rather than use the time to develop someone like Zubac who could stay around. I have to admit I am pretty indifferent to Bynum, simply because I doubt he'd play out the whole season and he wouldn't be around if we make the playoffs.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Lakeshow323 wrote:

It often does when no one's guarding you, you're shooting at you own pace and the video is edited to only show makes.

I need to see some unedited video of AB getting shots up with someone trying to challenge it before I call him a shooter.

He does look in great shape. I barely recognized him. I thought it was Taj Gibson for a second.

I'd like to see him go 1-on-1 against Zu.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

I know you dont turn the odometer back on knees...but wait...yes you can. Kobe did it and so did dwade. wait. and so did Vince carter. these guys were older than bynum. now granted they also didnt have bynum's knees to begin with. now the truth is we all know there's only a .1% chance some miracle has occurred to correct his knee issues. so we're just playing around in this thread to be honest. so play along HTP.

and once an athlete always an athlete surely applies to a guy thats what? 30 years old and hasnt played pro ball in years. It will take him some time to get his wind back but thats not a worry of mine. He will get his wind back. that is not an IF, its a matter of win. If you have ever played sports religiously. you would know even if you take off a lot of time. if you comeback to said sport(s). you will be dead tired. but the more you play the more you will get your wind back. And that wind coming back is not you finding your wind like some person who has never played sports like that before. thats why I said once an athlete always an athlete. the same rule applies for when you start working out again. I know this because it has happened to me and others I know. Sure its harder the longer you're away but its still not as difficult as it would be for some person starting out for the first time in their life trying to go hard. thats why i made that statement. we're not talking about a 60 year old drew(The knees are approx 86 years old the last time we saw him but thats not the point )
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
even if his knees are good enough for him to run in limited minutes, would he be still be going all out if he's not getting touches?
He would get touches. and the fact that he's fully grown now means his mentality probably has changed a bit. there's something that happens to most athletes when they get older. they usually get wiser(thats true for people period..hopefully.) In addition you become more patient and being away for so long makes you have a new found desire to just be apart not necessarily trying to prove that this young buck can play with the big boys. He knows he's not about to be an allstar, he knows he doesnt have any big he can contend with for "best big" in the nba. for one they dont even appreciate true post players like that anymore. For two, drew knows the next guy in line is a kid basically, with health on his side. so there is nothing to compete for in that regard. But sure he can prove to himself that he can make one last run at it. I think drew would be a lot more mature as a fully grown man than he was the last time we saw him with the perm fro. Remember, he took himself seriously enough to not get out of shape all of these years. What person you know that does that who doesnt have some sense of work ethic? to be as rich as he is. He could've easily gotten fat and called it a day.

and one more thing on his touches. He would get touches. because he has soft hands(can catch with the best of them), has a plethora of moves to score, and he's a HUGE target. You forgot, this team doesnt have a super scorer on it with a scorer's mentality. We have bron who can score with the best of them but thats not his desire. his desire is to setup his guys. We have Rondo, who's desire is to past first. we have zo who's desire is to hurry up and pass the ball. ingram doesnt have a problem passing. neither does josh hart or lance. Thats a lot of guys who would hit bynum with some nice passes. he has more guys that would be willing to give him the ball Now then he did when he was younger. lets be real about it. and thats not a shot at our boy kobe. its the truth. we have a ton of pass first mentality guys now and all of these guys are either elite or above average in that area. You also forgot that there arent too many TRUE post bigs in the nba. the league hasnt seen a real monster since bynum's knees blew out on him to be honest. Joel is the only one i can really call that. a couple of the foreign guys are pretty good on the block but not embiid or drew level good. I dont care how much the game has supposedly changed. Get a real big man that is a monster and 2 points on the block and watch him get passed to.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Magic gives his thoughts on Bynum

anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject:

My simple thought is this...

If he is good enough for an invite, he'll get a call from Magic.

If he doesn't, this ship has sailed.

Let's not overthink this. Bynum has motivation now because he wants cash. I highly doubt he "loves" the game. He never really did. Phil Jackson even said that as I recall.

Maybe he is more mature and now has some fire. If so, great. Still think he's got glass knees, not sure I would want to waste a roster spot on a potential injured player.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
The Lakers are chock full of high effort guys, I can't see bringing in a bum like Bynum again....

Maybe the gaming pc's at the training facility required upgrades. Bynum may not be able to give you much on the court, but he'll get you 130 FPS in Battlefield 4.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject:

I am 100% for a camp invite to Bynum......I do not see a downside.
Jenn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:

It often does when no one's guarding you, you're shooting at you own pace and the video is edited to only show makes.

I once saw Happy Hairston make 18/20 from the top of the key during training camp warm-ups. Number of time that I saw him make on in a game? Something approaching once.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject:

I don't see a downside to an invite either. I have my doubts he makes the team, but I disagree with a couple of the reasons some doubters are listing on this thread.

I don't think Bynum's mental state is a problem for the Lakers. Drew holds no power in this equation. He may be more mature at 30, and face it this is the 15th spot on the roster. If any mental problem pops up, cutting him is kinda easy. Both sides know this.

Also I really don't get how Bynum is supposedly going to hinder Zubac, when Bynum is the insurance big in this equation, not Zubac. McGee can't likely go beyond 20 minutes a game. Zubac will get plenty of time IMO. It's guys 14 and 15 on the roster who sit in street clothes until someone goes down.

The problem I see is that today's center needs to cover more ground on defense, most teams have schemes to punish immobile bigs. Optimistically Drew may have fixed his knees where they won't break again, but I doubt he's recaptured any of the mobility, lateral speed, or lift he lost.

I don't think it's crazy to give him a camp invite and actually see what he's got. He was good enough and he did sacrifice enough pushing through the playoffs on bad knees the year we beat Boston for the title, I don't think it's too much to ask he get a look.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Jenn wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:

I once saw Happy Hairston make 18/20 from the top of the key during training camp warm-ups. Number of time that I saw him make on in a game? Something approaching once.
I remember during half-time (while I was at the game) I saw Metta World Peace make 10 3s in a row from all around the 3 pt line. And I saw the exact same thing a different day by Matt Barnes. It literally means nothing unless you can do it against someone guarding you.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Jenn wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:

? I remember Hairston being a surprisingly dangerous shooter for a guy who looked like a low post player.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject:

If he can stay in front of Boogie, I'd give him a contract.

McGee/Bynum/Zu/Moe would make a nice Frankenstein center playing one quarter each at full tilt. Or in four 3 minute shifts.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: