Hollywood Hoops - Robert Horry Should be in the HOF
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject:

I figure the HoF voters never give Horry more than a momentary passing thought. His credentials are pretty one-dimensional: played on very good teams and hit some clutch shot for some of them. He had a nice all-around game, but there's got to be a higher standard applied than this for gate keeping purposes. Here's what he didn't do.

He was not been the best, second best, third best or even fourth best guy on any one of his NBA championship teams. Never a best player or even second best player of any NBA team that he joined. Not a stats leader in any sense. Not reliable as a scorer, not a much of rebounder. No sixth man recognition. His strongest career call-out was a second team all rookie team naming. Never an All NBA naming. Never an NBA All Star.

His college career was not special; not an All America guy nor a stat leader, nor a guy who drove his school to a memorable deep tourney run.

I don't understand the basis for the HoF fascination with him at all.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Horry is more HOF worthy than T-Mac IMO.

Big-time scorers come and go - Joe Johnson has been an All-Star for like 30 years - doesn't mean he should be in the HOF.

Impact on the game - I think Reggie Miller made an impact on the game. Karl Malone, Barkley - didn't win titles but are deserving of their place in the HOF.

To me, Richmond, T-Mac are iffy. Great scorers and?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject:

and the HOF has precedent for impactful role players on championship teams re: the Celtics
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

Big-time scorers come and go - Joe Johnson has been an All-Star for like 30 years - doesn't mean he should be in the HOF.

Impact on the game - I think Reggie Miller made an impact on the game. Karl Malone, Barkley - didn't win titles but are deserving of their place in the HOF.

To me, Richmond, T-Mac are iffy. Great scorers and?

Ask Hakeem/Rudy, Kobe/Shaq/Phil and Duncan/Pop if they would swap Horry for prime TMac, Richmond and Joe Johnson on those teams...

There's your answer.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject:

honestly, they wouldn't be as successful with those players vs. Horry - not close.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

This is crazy. T-Mac averaged 27/6/5 for a 7 year period and was an All-NBA guy. You're gonna knock him for not winning in Orlando? Blame him for losing 2 games 7s in the 1st round?

We need to stop overrating rings for role players (and in general). Saying Horry is absolutely not a HOFer is not an insult. He's just not.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
honestly, they wouldn't be as successful with those players vs. Horry - not close.

We're talking about prime McGrady? Where am I and what is this.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject:

You want to add a high volume scorer to the Spurs when they want the ball in Duncan's hands - it's not fantasy basketball.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
You want to add a high volume scorer to the Spurs when they want the ball in Duncan's hands - it's not fantasy basketball.

If we're choosing between McGrady and Horry? How is this a debate? You don't think Pop could figure out how to utilize McGrady? You keep calling him a "high volume scorer" like he's Jamal Crawford or some chucker. He was a perennial all-NBA, top 5-10 player in his prime.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mcgratr01.html
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Horry made a bigger impact on the NBA than McGrady
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

Isn't the argument that Horry had such a big impact precisely b/c he didn't have to be a TMac level player? That is he fed off of Hakeem, then Kobe/Shaq, then Duncan/Manu/TP?
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

Oh my, that essentially defines a sports oxymoron. He affected the outcome a few games, but not the league in any sense. You're just trying too hard to be clever, but I respect the effort.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

No he didn't.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject:

Horry over T-Mac?

It probably don’t matter to you one bit, but you are quickly losing credibility to me with this nonsense.

Post Jordan era, McGrady was one of the top 3 pure scorers in his prime. Along with Kobe and Durant. In my opinion, he gave Kobe a run for his money as best SG in the league in the first half of the 2000s.

Horry was an average player who hit a few big time shots. That will get you loved and remembered, but not HoF.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject:

i guess the goal is scoring, not winning
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
i guess the goal is scoring, not winning

This is some Skip Bayless level trolling.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject:

I'm sorry, this is just laughable. Horry was a clutch playoff performer, but the HOF should be reserved for only the league's most dominant. Sure, a lot of players are in the HOF who probably miss that definition, different era's skew perception, but Horry never sniffed dominance, playoff or regular season.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
I figure the HoF voters never give Horry more than a momentary passing thought. His credentials are pretty one-dimensional: played on very good teams and hit some clutch shot for some of them. He had a nice all-around game, but there's got to be a higher standard applied than this for gate keeping purposes. Here's what he didn't do.

He was not been the best, second best, third best or even fourth best guy on any one of his NBA championship teams. Never a best player or even second best player of any NBA team that he joined. Not a stats leader in any sense. Not reliable as a scorer, not a much of rebounder. No sixth man recognition. His strongest career call-out was a second team all rookie team naming. Never an All NBA naming. Never an NBA All Star.

His college career was not special; not an All America guy nor a stat leader, nor a guy who drove his school to a memorable deep tourney run.

The man might quite literally have invented the term and practice of "pacing" one's self through a regular season. If you had to put a statue of him outside of Staples that best represented the majority of his career it would be of him doing a fake limp.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

go ask Hakeem, Shaq, Kobe and Duncan about Horry . . .
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Harry was a great and valuable role player on several championship teams. He is not hall worthy.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject:

h2omike wrote:
Harry was a great and valuable role player on several championship teams. He is not hall worthy.

Robert Harry
Lovefool
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
go ask Hakeem, Shaq, Kobe and Duncan about Horry . . .

Then ask them about Mitch Richmond and Tmac.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

The man might quite literally have invented the term and practice of "pacing" one's self through a regular season. If you had to put a statue of him outside of Staples that best represented the majority of his career it would be of him doing a fake limp.

There's something in that I guess, the value of a guy whose career reflects so little comparative threat to do much for 30 mpg but who suddenly takes a shot and hits it over a sleeping opposing defender. What I don't sense is how that makes him HoF material.

What disappoints me is seeing the OP turn so smarmy about being wrong.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject:

If players such as Frank Ramsey (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Ramsey_(basketball)) are in the HOF, Horry and others (ala LO) should also be considered - maybe even DFish (acknowledging that I am a "Homer.").

If he/they "first ballot" HOF - absolutely not.

Interesting conversation
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject:

I don't believe that role players, even great role players, should be in the HOF. Again, my standards are high, though. Like, I think Ginobili is marginal, but at least he has other accolades (2-time All-NBA, 2-time All-Star, 1-time 6th Man Of The Year), as well as his international history with the Argentina national team. Now that I look at it, he also averaged 18.8/5.4 per 36 minutes, on a .582 TS %. Yeah, I'm cool with him getting in eventually.

But back to Horry, who averaged 10.3 PPG per 36 minutes on a .520 TS %. Swap Robert Horry for Tracy McGrady on those Rockets or Magic teams, and what happens? Those teams would've been terrible. They played different roles. Horry was good at his role, sure. But McGrady was a franchise player for a long time. Now, was he a Kobe-level franchise player? Of course not. But who was better at basketball between McGrady and Horry? I don't think it's remotely close.

I'm curious if you think Dominique Wilkins should be in the HOF, Eric.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: