Julius Randle wanted to return to the lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Julius Randle wanted to return to the lakers

MJST wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
https://247sports.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/Article/Julius-Randle-wanted-to-return-to-Los-Angeles-Lakers-121506102/

Quote:
The Lakers initially extended the $5.5 million qualifying offer to Randle and it looked as if the 23-year-old would return to a Lakers team that is bound to contend with LeBron James leading the way. However, the team later rescinded the offer and instead signed Rajon Rondo to a one-year, $9 million deal.

Lakers ultimately decided that Rondo would be in the team's plans for the 2018-19 season and not their young former No. 7 overall pick.

If that’s true, choosing a 32 year old PG who is 9 years older over a young 23 up and coming PF, it shows that the FO probably doesn’t have too much faith in Lonzo’s health and stability to stay on the court.

I'd have easily picked Randle over Stephenson and a returning KCP.

But if they picked Randle over Rondo, then they'd better hope with all their might that Randle doesn't become an all-star on the Pelicans, cause if he does and the Lakers have to have "picked Rondo over Randle" hanging over their heads, it will look like when OKC picked Martin and Perkins over Harden.

Randle was clearly our best young player, did everything the FO asked him to do, went above and beyond, accepted the undeserved benching Luke gave him as he unsuccessfully tried to convince the world Nance was the better player. Then Randle broke through, got his start, played at a super high level. Did everything right. And the Lakers STILL wouldn't offer him a 2nd year on his deal nor invest in him.

I said it back then and I'll say it now. Randle bet on himself because the Lakers refused to, and that's their loss.

Omar Little wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Luol Deng+2 1st round draft picks+Cash (maximum allowed)

Even by the way they decided to stretch Deng, it's clear they did not want to do this. I can't blame them. 2 1st rounders is a steep price to pay. I don't put this 100% on the FO.

I think it's 50/50 b/c Jules never liked his role here, and probably wanted a bigger deal (remember some here thought he would get 20m+/year on the market?) over longer years. I'm sure if he would take 1 year deal the Lakers would have given it to him.

2 first round picks likely in the mid 20's would have been worth it when we would have been able to keep a talented young player (even with his flaws) like Randle. We forget the guy is still only 23, around the age of a 1st round draft pick. Not to mention we would have already been loaded with young talent with nearly half our roster (Wagner/Randle/Kuzma/Ingram/Ball/Hart/Svi)

I agree though, this FO does clearly value their 1st round draft picks. I never thought anything close to 20M+ in this market would be realistic for Randle. I was thinking something around 14-15M per year would have been his best case. 13M a year would have been a good compromise and about 1/3rd than what he signed for on his 1 year deal with NOP.

Honestly, I think Jules thought he would be worth more than the 9m he got. I can't believe that's what he thought he was worth.

This is a problem with rookie deal players. If you're an unquestioned stud it's easy to pay the $, but if you're something less than that, it's more difficult. Teams didn't exactly jump at the opportunity to poach him away fully knowing the Lakers' cap situation.

He turned down bigger offers because he prioritized role and chance to compete. He would have stayed on in LA had they given him a shot to compete, but they told him one year deal and diminished role. Hard to tell a guy we aren’t going to pay you more than a year (because we plan on dumping you unless things go wrong), and we’re not going to give you a chance to show out for a contract elsewhere either. Especially after they already dorked you around earlier.

This...

But hey.. I guess they didn't want a death lineup of

Brandon Ingram
Lonzo Ball
Kyle Kuzma
LeBron James
Julius Randle

Sucks, cause LeBron James with Julius Randle on the fast break, or LeBron and Julius on the fast break with Lonzo handling and Ingram trailing would have been something beautiful to watch. Oh well.

There is very little chance of Randle becoming an allstar on the Pels. How many great forwards are in the West including his own team mate AD?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Julius Randle wanted to return to the lakers

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
MJST wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
https://247sports.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/Article/Julius-Randle-wanted-to-return-to-Los-Angeles-Lakers-121506102/

Quote:
The Lakers initially extended the $5.5 million qualifying offer to Randle and it looked as if the 23-year-old would return to a Lakers team that is bound to contend with LeBron James leading the way. However, the team later rescinded the offer and instead signed Rajon Rondo to a one-year, $9 million deal.

Lakers ultimately decided that Rondo would be in the team's plans for the 2018-19 season and not their young former No. 7 overall pick.

If that’s true, choosing a 32 year old PG who is 9 years older over a young 23 up and coming PF, it shows that the FO probably doesn’t have too much faith in Lonzo’s health and stability to stay on the court.

I'd have easily picked Randle over Stephenson and a returning KCP.

But if they picked Randle over Rondo, then they'd better hope with all their might that Randle doesn't become an all-star on the Pelicans, cause if he does and the Lakers have to have "picked Rondo over Randle" hanging over their heads, it will look like when OKC picked Martin and Perkins over Harden.

Randle was clearly our best young player, did everything the FO asked him to do, went above and beyond, accepted the undeserved benching Luke gave him as he unsuccessfully tried to convince the world Nance was the better player. Then Randle broke through, got his start, played at a super high level. Did everything right. And the Lakers STILL wouldn't offer him a 2nd year on his deal nor invest in him.

I said it back then and I'll say it now. Randle bet on himself because the Lakers refused to, and that's their loss.

Omar Little wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Luol Deng+2 1st round draft picks+Cash (maximum allowed)

Even by the way they decided to stretch Deng, it's clear they did not want to do this. I can't blame them. 2 1st rounders is a steep price to pay. I don't put this 100% on the FO.

I think it's 50/50 b/c Jules never liked his role here, and probably wanted a bigger deal (remember some here thought he would get 20m+/year on the market?) over longer years. I'm sure if he would take 1 year deal the Lakers would have given it to him.

2 first round picks likely in the mid 20's would have been worth it when we would have been able to keep a talented young player (even with his flaws) like Randle. We forget the guy is still only 23, around the age of a 1st round draft pick. Not to mention we would have already been loaded with young talent with nearly half our roster (Wagner/Randle/Kuzma/Ingram/Ball/Hart/Svi)

I agree though, this FO does clearly value their 1st round draft picks. I never thought anything close to 20M+ in this market would be realistic for Randle. I was thinking something around 14-15M per year would have been his best case. 13M a year would have been a good compromise and about 1/3rd than what he signed for on his 1 year deal with NOP.

Honestly, I think Jules thought he would be worth more than the 9m he got. I can't believe that's what he thought he was worth.

This is a problem with rookie deal players. If you're an unquestioned stud it's easy to pay the $, but if you're something less than that, it's more difficult. Teams didn't exactly jump at the opportunity to poach him away fully knowing the Lakers' cap situation.

He turned down bigger offers because he prioritized role and chance to compete. He would have stayed on in LA had they given him a shot to compete, but they told him one year deal and diminished role. Hard to tell a guy we aren’t going to pay you more than a year (because we plan on dumping you unless things go wrong), and we’re not going to give you a chance to show out for a contract elsewhere either. Especially after they already dorked you around earlier.

This...

But hey.. I guess they didn't want a death lineup of

Brandon Ingram
Lonzo Ball
Kyle Kuzma
LeBron James
Julius Randle

Sucks, cause LeBron James with Julius Randle on the fast break, or LeBron and Julius on the fast break with Lonzo handling and Ingram trailing would have been something beautiful to watch. Oh well.

There is very little chance of Randle becoming an allstar on the Pels. How many great forwards are in the West including his own team mate AD?

There's AD, Aldridge and Draymond. If Julius performs close to what he did for us as a starter, then he'll be better than Aldridge whom is getting up there. I think he's better than Milsap.

Tbh that's about it as far as the West goes. AD, Aldridge, Draymond. As far as power forwards go in the West. And I already think Julius will be better than Aldridge this coming season and already felt he was better than Milsap, offensively he's better than Green whom is still the better defender.

So yeah, if Julius replicates what he did as a starter for us, he has a shot. But it will have to be Aldridge or Draymond he beats out for the 4 position.

Although TBH, if Julius and AD are starting together, that would make AD a Center this season. At center the All-Stars would be AD and KAT.

And I know the "center" position doesn't exist in the all-star game, it's essentially 2 PF spots 'officially'.

But if AD and KAT are the Center all-stars for the West (no reason outside of injury that they wouldn't be).

Then it's Randle, Aldridge and Draymond fighting for 2 of the available PF spots.

And I think Randle is surpassing Aldridge this season, so there's obviously a chance.

It however is up to Randle to replicate the success he had here when he started. He's going to essentially the same style Luke runs under Gentry, so we'll see how that works out for him. But if he's averaging 19/11/4 going into ASB he has a shot at it. If he's 6th manning again, he obviously won't.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject:

I don’t think there is a “PF” spot in the all star game anymore. It’s front court and back court. So he has to beat out forwards and centers. Unlikely.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: