Andrew Bynum Working Out At Lakers' Practice Facility
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject:

We’re talking camp invite? Sure. Have Zu run his ass off the court and back to the bowling alley for cosmic Tuesdays. I also do not see the downside. If Zu isn’t sharp enough to dimsmiss a 30 year old with bum numb knees, he won’t be ready to showcase his value this year. So, yes. Put the lamb up for slaughter.
chickenjoy24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Sure why not invite him to training camp? We could use a big body to give a hard foul every now and then.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
We’re talking camp invite? Sure. Have Zu run his ass off the court and back to the bowling alley for cosmic Tuesdays. I also do not see the downside. If Zu isn’t sharp enough to dimsmiss a 30 year old with bum numb knees, he won’t be ready to showcase his value this year. So, yes. Put the lamb up for slaughter.

lmboooooo!
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I am 100% for a camp invite to Bynum......I do not see a downside.

Yes, yes, yes.

Bring him home.
All the talk about the attitude - he just never wanted to play for anyone else but the Lakers

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
If he can stay in front of Boogie, I'd give him a contract.

McGee/Bynum/Zu/Moe would make a nice Frankenstein center playing one quarter each at full tilt. Or in four 3 minute shifts.

He can definitely stay in front of boogie. A chair can do the same thing considering that he won't be cleared to play until some undetermined time.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
You don't turn back the odometer on knees.

As for once an athlete always an athlete? That's just a giant load of BS. Run him in a 20 minute 5 on 5 game and he'll be waving the white flag a quarter of the way in at the latest.

I know you dont turn the odometer back on knees...but wait...yes you can. Kobe did it and so did dwade. wait. and so did Vince carter. these guys were older than bynum. now granted they also didnt have bynum's knees to begin with. now the truth is we all know there's only a .1% chance some miracle has occurred to correct his knee issues. so we're just playing around in this thread to be honest. so play along HTP.

and once an athlete always an athlete surely applies to a guy thats what? 30 years old and hasnt played pro ball in years. It will take him some time to get his wind back but thats not a worry of mine. He will get his wind back. that is not an IF, its a matter of win. If you have ever played sports religiously. you would know even if you take off a lot of time. if you comeback to said sport(s). you will be dead tired. but the more you play the more you will get your wind back. And that wind coming back is not you finding your wind like some person who has never played sports like that before. thats why I said once an athlete always an athlete. the same rule applies for when you start working out again. I know this because it has happened to me and others I know. Sure its harder the longer you're away but its still not as difficult as it would be for some person starting out for the first time in their life trying to go hard. thats why i made that statement. we're not talking about a 60 year old drew(The knees are approx 86 years old the last time we saw him but thats not the point )

If your word count for that post factored into the success of his comeback he'd be peak Sabonis. Reality says otherwise.
TDG
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:
I got to say, the guys stroke looks decent.

It often does when no one's guarding you, you're shooting at you own pace and the video is edited to only show makes.

I need to see some unedited video of AB getting shots up with someone trying to challenge it before I call him a shooter..

I don't really understand this sentiment. He doesn't have to be taking contested threes. He needs to be proficient enough at uncontested threes that they have to guard him and spread the defense.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject:

He must be out of money.

Look for Kupchak to sign him.
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject:

Shaber wrote:
adkindo wrote:
I am 100% for a camp invite to Bynum......I do not see a downside.

Yes, yes, yes.

Bring him home.
All the talk about the attitude - he just never wanted to play for anyone else but the Lakers

I always felt aside from the knee issues had he stayed with the Lakers his career would of went different.

His desire to play left when he went to the Sixer's.

Bring Big Bynum home! At least for training camp for novelty sake.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject:

Warriors signing.

About the time his knees give out Cousins should be ready to come back mid season. Similar expectations of limited mobility, mpg and production make for a perfect tag team.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
as much as i like zu. dont be silly. in a short minute show down. bynum would probably out play Zu.

you may have forgotten how good mr bad knees was. The knees start falling apart after major mins for multiple games. but a 10 to 20 min stretch here and there. He would probably continuously out play Zu. Drew was that good and you dont lose your IQ. thats why he was so good. he had a very high post player IQ for a guy his age and a guy that didnt goto college. The guy went from being silly puddy to being molded by kareem and the likes. came back as the best low post player in the nba. dwight was the best overall big due to his insane athleticism and he was older than drew at the time, while dwight also scored a ton of points on the pick and roll. not on the block.

again, i like zu. but unless Zu is about to be an allstar level C this year(which I would love to have.) I dont think he would slaughter bad knees drew in limited mins. Lastly, Zu's athleticism with Zero Knee issues is what drew's is after 3 bad knee injuries.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
He must be out of money.

highly doubt he's out of money that fast. could be. but i doubt it. there are only two ways you spend that kind of money that quickly. you either make a handful of very large bad investments(could happened to anyone.) or your accountant steals your money(see Kareem.)

But that Kupchak part might be something for real. He knows him, he was apart of the team that brought him in the first time. so you never know.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject:

PROPHET wrote:
Bynum in this clip looks about the best shape I've seen him, looks really slimmed down. I would do a training camp invite, Embiid before Embiid.

wow, the dude is at Peak weight it seems. as slim as he could get before he starts losing muscle mass. He might be dead serious. but again, shoot him a couple of 10 days and see how the knees do. its not about camp for drew. drew has enough skill to make anyone's roster and actually start at center for most teams in the nba. the question is, How many mins could he really play well over an 82 game stretch? if thats 15 mins. sign him. mcgee is about to give us a solid 15 just the same.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

As for once an athlete always an athlete? That's just a giant load of BS. Run him in a 20 minute 5 on 5 game and he'll be waving the white flag a quarter of the way in at the latest.

I know you dont turn the odometer back on knees...but wait...yes you can. Kobe did it and so did dwade. wait. and so did Vince carter. these guys were older than bynum. now granted they also didnt have bynum's knees to begin with. now the truth is we all know there's only a .1% chance some miracle has occurred to correct his knee issues. so we're just playing around in this thread to be honest. so play along HTP.

and once an athlete always an athlete surely applies to a guy thats what? 30 years old and hasnt played pro ball in years. It will take him some time to get his wind back but thats not a worry of mine. He will get his wind back. that is not an IF, its a matter of win. If you have ever played sports religiously. you would know even if you take off a lot of time. if you comeback to said sport(s). you will be dead tired. but the more you play the more you will get your wind back. And that wind coming back is not you finding your wind like some person who has never played sports like that before. thats why I said once an athlete always an athlete. the same rule applies for when you start working out again. I know this because it has happened to me and others I know. Sure its harder the longer you're away but its still not as difficult as it would be for some person starting out for the first time in their life trying to go hard. thats why i made that statement. we're not talking about a 60 year old drew(The knees are approx 86 years old the last time we saw him but thats not the point )

If your word count for that post factored into the success of his comeback he'd be peak Sabonis. Reality says otherwise.
lol. hey here's to hoping a true all star talent with bad knees can make a comeback. I would've loved to see the same happen for Greg Oden, Brandon Roy, D.rose. I hate seeing promising dudes go down so early in their careers. and i love me so post play. so it would be nice to see another real low post dude out there reminding them what a real C looks like.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
The Lakers are chock full of high effort guys, I can't see bringing in a bum like Bynum again....

Maybe the gaming pc's at the training facility required upgrades. Bynum may not be able to give you much on the court, but he'll get you 130 FPS in Battlefield 4.
cold
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

I have never seen a player "run" back so slowly from defense to offense. If it weren't for watching Bynum walk down the court, which wasn't really apparent on TV because the camera was so far ahead of him, I wouldn't have so much appreciation for how hard McGee hustles down the court. Hell, McGee has hustled down the court even when the possession didn't change, which I see as a positive.
Mcgee's athleticism is way beyond bynum's even before the knees went out.

Mcgee is dwight howard athletic but he's even taller/longer. in addition I think mcgee might be faster than a prime dwight even though dwight was only 6'10.

Drew on the other hand started out as a baby huey chubster. then we slowly molded him into an actual athlete. then he started going down with knee issue after major knee issue after major knee issue(both knees).

so he never have a time in his life where he was able to Run like a mcgee. remember the shaq incident? shaq posterizes him. then he runs down court and gets shaq with a nice move. that was Pre knees. we never got to see what a peak shape and all grown up version with no serious knee issues would look like for drew.

but with that said. he still played darn good defense for the lakers, and he snagged plenty of boards for us as well. you dont wait on a guy like that. you run up the court full speed. if you find out you can't score then he gets down there and goes to work. you give him the OLD kareem treatment. you run and run and run some more until the opponent stops your running game then you dump it in to the big fella and run your half court offense. and he better not complain about it.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject:

If McGee had basketball IQ and a elite offensive post game, he would probably be a all star every year , he has everything you want from a big man, good anchor, can run in transition, great athlete, and he’s developing a 3 pt shot now, he held his own when he matched up with Bynum when the Lakers played Denver in the playoffs in 2012.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
tmsxl wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Bynum has played less than half of his team's regular season games in his career. He hasn't played a full NBA season for 10 years, and I can't see how you could count on him to stay on the court. Is he really someone you'd want in the rotation if the odds are strong he won't finish the season for you?

That was him playing 30 minutes a game though. I don't think anyone is advocating that.

Role player Bynum with 10-15 minutes max? Why not. He's more talented than some of the stiffs currently running around playing reserve minutes at the 5.

The "why not" is if you want to give time to a guy who may, based on his history, go down with an injury rather than use the time to develop someone like Zubac who could stay around. I have to admit I am pretty indifferent to Bynum, simply because I doubt he'd play out the whole season and he wouldn't be around if we make the playoffs.
Zu doesnt have the kind of OBVIOUS upside some guys have. This is another reason why the lakers were not willing to pay kareem to train him(when kareem asked to do it.) but they paid kareem to train drew. This means Zu may end up being a great center. but he's going to have to do that on his own and prove himself by way of destroying guys in practice and killing it with the mins he's going to get in the games. if Zu is going to be very good. Then he has to start showing it this season. its time. The project tag is gone. he's a real nba player now. lets see what you got. but we wont GIVE you big mins to prove yourself. you have to TAKE the mins from someone. early on we GIVE You the minds to get your acclimated to the game speed, power, size of your opponents/teammates. but further along you have to earn those mins. this is the earn those mins year. so sorry. they could choose to bring whoever they please at Center to play 10 - 15 mins per. remember they drafted mo wags while zu was still here and picked up mcgee. that means he has to prove himself for the mins.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
If McGee had basketball IQ and a elite offensive post game, he would probably be a all star every year , he has everything you want from a big man, good anchor, can run in transition, great athlete, and he’s developing a 3 pt shot now, he held his own when he matched up with Bynum when the Lakers played Denver in the playoffs in 2012.
why do you think shaq gets on him so much? Shaq always believed in Mcgee and so did I. There were times when he was a nugget when he look scary good. LIke i was really thinking "oh...this is kind of what wilt looked like" being that he's a true 7 footer thats still hyper athletic and can move so well with the long arms to boot.

Javale would get up for those bynum games for sure. but who knew he had that dang asthma. that basically put a cap on his greatness.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
why do you think shaq gets on him so much? Shaq always believed in Mcgee and so did I. There were times when he was a nugget when he look scary good. LIke i was really thinking "oh...this is kind of what wilt looked like" being that he's a true 7 footer thats still hyper athletic and can move so well with the long arms to boot.

Javale would get up for those bynum games for sure. but who knew he had that dang asthma. that basically put a cap on his greatness.

Yeah, it’s sad that he has that issue, imagine him being able to play for 35-38M as a starting C and being able to cause havoc with his athleticism and D. Hopefully he can give us good 15-20M this year at the Center spot.
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Yeah, it’s sad that he has that issue, imagine him being able to play for 35-38M as a starting C and being able to cause havoc with his athleticism and D. Hopefully he can give us good 15-20M this year at the Center spot.

I’m a physican. I don’t understand why he can’t be better controlled with maintenance asthma meds. You can be an athlete with asthma. There’s Olympian’s with it. He must have a severe case?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject:

KOBE WAN wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I’m a physican. I don’t understand why he can’t be better controlled with maintenance asthma meds. You can be an athlete with asthma. There’s Olympian’s with it. He must have a severe case?

There is probably different types of asthma issues.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

PnP, is that you?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
He must be out of money.

highly doubt he's out of money that fast. could be. but i doubt it. there are only two ways you spend that kind of money that quickly. you either make a handful of very large bad investments(could happened to anyone.) or your accountant steals your money(see Kareem.)

But that Kupchak part might be something for real. He knows him, he was apart of the team that brought him in the first time. so you never know.

Spent it all on pubg skins.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject:

@ splashmtn

I’ll grant you the skill and domination he showed in the b2b. Hell, Perkins had his hands full with the young man. But we live in a world of Embeast and Freak. We don’t play minute matchups. We play game long grinders. I think Zu is more than capable of running all game long. And that’s what we need. Consistency. I haven’t seen that type of mental fortitude in Bynum. I don’t see the ganas. I see Zu doing everything he can to be consistent. I agree also with the Kareem ref. Zu isn’t afforded the trust of the FO, and I’m willing to bet he’ll use that; just like The Composer Wagner will. I see the two young centers making each other better. And I love that position for us this year. They’re scrappy loco and coco - they will dive for loose balls, they’ll clog the lane, and they’ll space like they’re instructed in practice. They’re playing year long ball with no offseason, and their conditioning is top notch.

Give me a time machine back to the b2b and I’ll admit, Dru’s raw basketball dominance and fortitude against Diesel was stand up and cheer off the charts. I’m willing to be proven wrong. But I don’t make blind bets. I go with those who earn their burn.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: