Kyle Kuzma on hometown of Flint: "It pretty much is a third-world country"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Kyle Kuzma on hometown of Flint: "It pretty much is a third-world country"

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/09/15/lakers-kyle-kuzma-on-hometown-of-flint-it-pretty-much-is-a-third-world-country/

Quote:
Kyle Kuzma on hometown of Flint: ‘It pretty much is a third-world country’

Kyle Kuzma is one of the best young players on the Los Angeles Lakers. He is also a native of Flint, Michigan, a city which is still dealing with significant issues regarding its water supply.

Along with guys like Rasheed Wallace, Kuzma is one of several NBA players hoping to help the beleaguered Midwestern town. Speaking to ESPN this week, Kuzma said that he was trying to do all he could to bring awareness and change to the area.

Flint has had issues with lead in its water since 2014, and has been in a declared federal state of emergency since 2016. In his opinion, Kuzma thinks that Flint has been abandoned by the federal government and perhaps America at large.

Via ESPN:

“It is just kind of sad for me, how America has let a city of its own deplete and kind of die,” Kuzma said. “We help third-world countries out, but we have a city that doesn’t have [clean] water. It doesn’t make sense. That is definitely one of the frustrating things. But that is why I am not a politician.”

“I am trying to do a lot,” Kuzma said. “Not so much now because I haven’t really made enough money [yet] to really make some things happen. … My thing is to keep spreading awareness.

“During election time, [the water crisis] was such a big deal. And once that kind of went away, Flint went away. I want to try to keep it alive and really keep pushing it forward until I can do bigger and better things here.”

Kuzma went on to state that he believes he can create a larger change in his hometown area much like Lakers teammate LeBron James has done for the city of Akron. The Lakers guard started making inroads in that department, holding a basketball camp for local kids who also received backpacks with bottled water inside.

If you would like to join Kuzma in helping to support the residents of Flint, one of the best ways you can do that is to contribute to the Flint Water Fund.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/10/entertainment/miss-america-miss-michigan-water-trnd/index.html

Quote:
"From the state with 84% of the United States' fresh water but none for its residents to drink, I am Miss Michigan Emily Sioma,"
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:
“I am trying to do a lot,” Kuzma said. “Not so much now because I haven’t really made enough money [yet] to really make some things happen.

Heartbreaking.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject:

Still pissed about people whining about trivial stuff like water.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Wonder if he drank the water?
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Still pissed about people whining about trivial stuff like water.

I know, right? Who needs water when you can just have paper towels?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Roger & Me, Michael Moore's first docu about his former hometown, was released in 1989. You'll see the same tales of despair in that movie that you hear of now, just with 80s clothes, hair, cars, and video quality. They never recovered after GM scuttled plants and laid off thousands of workers. Anyone who hasn't seen that yet, you should, it's still one of Moore's better ones. It wasn't all over the place like Bowling For Columbine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_%26_Me
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Kyle Kuzma on hometown of Flint: "It pretty much is a third-world country"

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/09/15/lakers-kyle-kuzma-on-hometown-of-flint-it-pretty-much-is-a-third-world-country/

Quote:

Kyle Kuzma is one of the best young players on the Los Angeles Lakers. He is also a native of Flint, Michigan, a city which is still dealing with significant issues regarding its water supply.

Along with guys like Rasheed Wallace, Kuzma is one of several NBA players hoping to help the beleaguered Midwestern town. Speaking to ESPN this week, Kuzma said that he was trying to do all he could to bring awareness and change to the area.

Flint has had issues with lead in its water since 2014, and has been in a declared federal state of emergency since 2016. In his opinion, Kuzma thinks that Flint has been abandoned by the federal government and perhaps America at large.

Via ESPN:

“It is just kind of sad for me, how America has let a city of its own deplete and kind of die,” Kuzma said. “We help third-world countries out, but we have a city that doesn’t have [clean] water. It doesn’t make sense. That is definitely one of the frustrating things. But that is why I am not a politician.

“I am trying to do a lot,” Kuzma said. “Not so much now because I haven’t really made enough money [yet] to really make some things happen. … My thing is to keep spreading awareness.

“During election time, [the water crisis] was such a big deal. And once that kind of went away, Flint went away. I want to try to keep it alive and really keep pushing it forward until I can do bigger and better things here.”

Kuzma went on to state that he believes he can create a larger change in his hometown area much like Lakers teammate LeBron James has done for the city of Akron. The Lakers guard started making inroads in that department, holding a basketball camp for local kids who also received backpacks with bottled water inside.

If you would like to join Kuzma in helping to support the residents of Flint, one of the best ways you can do that is to contribute to the Flint Water Fund.

Sounds like he might be when he retires
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Kyle Kuzma on hometown of Flint: "It pretty much is a third-world country"

Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

Via ESPN:

“It is just kind of sad for me, how America has let a city of its own deplete and kind of die,” Kuzma said. “We help third-world countries out, but we have a city that doesn’t have [clean] water. It doesn’t make sense. That is definitely one of the frustrating things. But that is why I am not a politician.”

Can’t blame “America”

The government is set up how it’s set up.

Cities/counties have a certain amount of autonomy to make choices. Sometimes they make bad ones. Flint city officials made some bad decisions regarding their water supplies.

No need to blame “America”

It’s too easy nowadays to blame everything on “America”
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject:

Move to that political thread
Team of the 80's
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Kyle Kuzma on hometown of Flint: "It pretty much is a third-world country"

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

Via ESPN:

Can’t blame “America”

Cities/counties have a certain amount of autonomy to make choices. Sometimes they make bad ones. Flint city officials made some bad decisions regarding their water supplies.

Because "America" is to blame for a lot of what ills this planet today. Of course that's just my opinion.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Kyle Kuzma on hometown of Flint: "It pretty much is a third-world country"

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

Via ESPN:

Can’t blame “America”

Are Flint city officials not located in America?
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject:

I'm gonna guess Kuzma didn't pass his Cultural Geography 10 class at Utah.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Kyle Kuzma on hometown of Flint: "It pretty much is a third-world country"

manlisten wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

Via ESPN:

Can’t blame “America”

Are Flint city officials not located in America?

That’s a good point.

I can’t watch any Dodgers games. Anyway I can blame America for this?
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Kyle Kuzma on hometown of Flint: "It pretty much is a third-world country"

Team of the 80's wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

Via ESPN:

Can’t blame “America”

Because "America" is to blame for a lot of what ills this planet today. Of course that's just my opinion.

Is it? All I keep seeing is America constantly helping other countries riddled with war, disease, famine and natural disasters.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Well this went downhill quickly.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_569e8e78e4b0cd99679b9541

L like option 2
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/how-flint-water-got-poisonous_us_569907f5e4b0b4eb759e1426

How Flint’s Water Got Poisonous
The government missed a LOT of red flags.

1) It all started with a decision to change Flint’s water source.
For decades, Flint bought its water from the Detroit Water And Sewerage Department. In 2013, the Flint city council voted to join the Karegnondi Water Authority, a new system that would pump water from Lake Huron. But Flint couldn’t connect until 2016, so the city, operating under the control of emergency managers appointed by Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder (R), opted to save money by using the Flint River in the meantime.

2) The city wasn’t vigilant about its water.
Employees of public water systems are supposed to monitor water lead levels by testing the water in homes that are connected to water mains via lead service lines, but Flint failed to do so

3) The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality failed to ensure the water was treated for its corrosiveness.
The Flint River water turned out to be more corrosive than the water Flint received from Detroit — so corrosive, in fact, that in October 2014, General Motors opted to quit using it to avoid corroding parts in its engine plant. Corrosiveness is a problem because Flint, like many American cities, has water pipes that are made from lead, which can leach into the water and poison people who drink it.

4) The EPA stood by as state officials dismissed its investigation.

5) The corrosion never got controlled.

6) State agencies ignored red flags.

Yeah, this is pretty descriptive of exactly what went wrong. So, instead of just blaming "America" why not just be more accurate and blame city officials, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, the EPA, and the state officials & state agencies.

Pretty much a big screwup within the state of Michigan becomes --> America sucks.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
Well this went downhill quickly.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_569e8e78e4b0cd99679b9541

L like option 2

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/how-flint-water-got-poisonous_us_569907f5e4b0b4eb759e1426

How Flint’s Water Got Poisonous
The government missed a LOT of red flags.

1) It all started with a decision to change Flint’s water source.
For decades, Flint bought its water from the Detroit Water And Sewerage Department. In 2013, the Flint city council voted to join the Karegnondi Water Authority, a new system that would pump water from Lake Huron. But Flint couldn’t connect until 2016, so the city, operating under the control of emergency managers appointed by Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder (R), opted to save money by using the Flint River in the meantime.

2) The city wasn’t vigilant about its water.
Employees of public water systems are supposed to monitor water lead levels by testing the water in homes that are connected to water mains via lead service lines, but Flint failed to do so

3) The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality failed to ensure the water was treated for its corrosiveness.
The Flint River water turned out to be more corrosive than the water Flint received from Detroit — so corrosive, in fact, that in October 2014, General Motors opted to quit using it to avoid corroding parts in its engine plant. Corrosiveness is a problem because Flint, like many American cities, has water pipes that are made from lead, which can leach into the water and poison people who drink it.

4) The EPA stood by as state officials dismissed its investigation.

5) The corrosion never got controlled.

6) State agencies ignored red flags.

Yeah, this is pretty descriptive of exactly what went wrong. So, instead of just blaming "America" why not just be more accurate and blame city officials, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, the EPA, and the state officials & state agencies.

Pretty much a big screwup within the state of Michigan becomes --> America sucks.

So people shouldn’t help?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

It's often a number of factors at lower levels that combine to create a disaster of any type. What you laid out sounds typical. There was a segment on Modern Marvels about a water issue in 1993 in Milwaukee that resulted in deaths. They had a Cryptosporidium contamination in their outgoing tapwater. Due to negligence in the treatment and testing phases, the filtering media and techniques being used weren't sound enough to prevent the tiny oocysts of the protozoan from getting thru and people got violently sick and some immunocompromised people died. They had the intake pipe for the water treatment plant downstream and parallel from sewage runoff and the nature of the tides at that area drew that sh water into the intake pipe. They extended the intake pipe a good distance into Lake Michigan and had to pay 12 million for high tech machinery etc. I remember from that segment someone doing the standard sip of water to allay the public's fears a la Obama. Another major difference in scenarios is that the Milwaukee taxpayers had the means to pay for that upgrade.

EDIT: found segment

Last edited by non-player zealot on Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject:

I think the real stories here are the people of Flint, the situation that faces them, and the fact that Kyle Kuzma didn't forget where he came from. Just because he's able to escape the problems of the area he grew up in doesn't mean those problems are going away.

Some people can't handle fame, some have the foresight to channel that fame into a worthwhile cause. Kudo's to Kuz for being the latter type of guy.
VanderBlue'sJersey
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject:

I watched Michael Moore's new documentary, "Farenheit 11/9" this past Thursday. A good segment of the documentary touched on the Flint water crisis (and how it affected things politically).

But it did shed a huge light on the horrible situation in Flint. Definitely feel bad for those people, and nobody can blame them for being furious and hurt by the actions of their own state and own country. Hopefully Kuz, Rasheed, and others can help rebuild that area.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject:

VanderBlue'sJersey wrote:
I watched Michael Moore's new documentary, "Farenheit 11/9" this past Thursday. A good segment of the documentary touched on the Flint water crisis (and how it affected things politically).

But it did shed a huge light on the horrible situation in Flint. Definitely feel bad for those people, and nobody can blame them for being furious and hurt by the actions of their own state and own country. Hopefully Kuz, Rasheed, and others can help rebuild that area.

How did our country let them down though
Hellspawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Watch Fahrenheit 11/9 if you want to know what's going on in Flint.

It will blow your f*cking mind what is happening there and how it is being ignored by the government. The media doesn't cover it at all because Flint stories don't bring ratings.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Hellspawn wrote:
Watch Fahrenheit 11/9 if you want to know what's going on in Flint.

It will blow your f*cking mind what is happening there and how it is being ignored by the government. The media doesn't cover it at all because Flint stories don't bring ratings.

I’ll watch that for sure.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Every city has Issues

SF-human poop
OC- Homeless camps
Detroit- Crime
LA- affordable housing

It is up to the people to elect the right official's to solve the issues. And if those official's suck, its up to the people to rotate them out.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: