**OFFICIAL** US OPEN THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject:

I found this in the ITF's 2018 Grand Slam guide with rules. It appears that I was wrong. I don't know if this was always the case or not, but it appears pretty cut-and-dried what the penalty is, at least for the Slams...

L. COACHING AND COACHES

Players shall not receive coaching during a match (including the warm-up). Communications of any kind, audible or visible, between a player and a coach may be construed as coaching. Players shall also prohibit their coaches (1) from using audible obscenity within the precincts of the tournament site, (2) from making obscene gestures of any kind within the precincts of the tournament site, (3) from verbally abusing any official, opponent, spectator or other person within the precincts of the tournament site, (4) from physically abusing any official, opponent, spectator or other person within the precincts of the tournament site and (5) from giving, making, issuing, authorising or endorsing any public statement within the precincts of the tournament site having, or designed to have, an effect prejudicial or detrimental to the best interests of the tournament and/or of the officiating thereof. Violation of this Section shall subject a player to a fine up to $20,000 for each violation. In addition, if such violation occurs during a match (including the warmup), the player shall be penalised in accordance with the Point Penalty Schedule hereinafter set forth. In circumstances that are flagrant and particularly injurious to the success of a tournament, or are singularly egregious, the Referee may order the Coach to be removed from the site of a match or the precincts of the tournament site and upon his failure to comply with such order may declare an immediate default of such player.

So it does look like if the call is made, it's an automatic code violation. So that part of my argument is gone. Of course, I still think it's a BS call and rule, but yeah, OK, Serena absolutely should have known that smashing her racket was going to cost her a point. I'm guessing she thought the coaching thing was not going to actually be a code. She wouldn't be the first athlete to not know the rules. Happens in other sports all the time. It actually stuns me how often the players have no idea about certain rules.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
Finally got around to watching this. Pretty silly on Serena's part to continually hound the umpire. If he had penalized her a game after a small rant then I could see the issue but Serena was relentless in her tirade. The umpire was extremely patient from what I saw but she just wouldn't stop. It's not like Serena was out of the match so I don't understand why she let her emotions get the better of her. Should have channeled that energy into making a comeback.

Serena is the GOAT, but she’s got a history of being a bit of a sore loser.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
The Thief wrote:
Finally got around to watching this. Pretty silly on Serena's part to continually hound the umpire. If he had penalized her a game after a small rant then I could see the issue but Serena was relentless in her tirade. The umpire was extremely patient from what I saw but she just wouldn't stop. It's not like Serena was out of the match so I don't understand why she let her emotions get the better of her. Should have channeled that energy into making a comeback.

Serena is the GOAT, but she’s got a history of being a bit of a sore loser.

Could be. I remember Serena and Solane Stephens had a disagreement after Stephens supposedly blasted Williams for being cold to her after she beat her in the quarterfinal match at the Australian Open. Serena doesn't like losing.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10
Jump to: