Kobe mentoring Jayson Tatum (UPDATE: mentoring Kyle Kuzma too! p.22)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:
Tatum isn’t elite at anything right now. He averaged 14 points per game which many rookies have done. He averaged 17 or 18 in the playoffs but his efficiency went way down including his 3 ball dropping 10%. Celtics won those series’s on team defense and ball movement. His playmaking is lacking, his handles and rebounding are average. His defense was good for a rookie but some of that could be due to brad’s system.

Isn’t he an elite 3pt shooter?

What about %82Ft?

What about his elite iso skills?

what about his handles?

stop hating just because he is a celtic. Before we were laker fans we were basketball fans.

If any of you guys watched all the celtic playoff games you would know tatum is no joke. Just ask kobe

82% FT isn’t elite.
His isolation scoring isn’t elite either. Many of his buckets came off Kyrie and Horford creating for him. When he didn’t have Kyrie, his efficiency went down as we saw in the playoffs.

I’ll give you his 3 ball but Brad has always elevated the percentages of his players. Brad’s system generates many open 3 point shots. Also, Tatum’s volume wasn’t that high either. If he keeps it up with a higher usage and attempts, he could become elite.

His handles are not elite. His handles in a half court setting when he makes his move to the basket or to create some space are above prettt good but his overall ball handling package including bringing the ball up and in transition is average.

Not saying Tatum won’t become a star but he’s nowhere near a star at his current stage and people are acting like he is when he still has A LOT to prove.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
epak wrote:
So far this month, Kobes been with:

Tatum, Kuz, Luka and Giannis.
Kobe doing work after retirement.

Seems like Luka was just there for the Nike photo-op Kobe was hosting, not a workout.

Ah, thanks!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

I think people need to add the “could be” when saying Tatum is elite. Or at least add the qualifier that was elite at being a rookie.

I’m super high on him, but not comfortable saying anything more than that he had a fantastic start to what I believe will be quite a career.

I feel the same about Donovan Mitchell.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject:

lol if the Lakers had drafted this guy, we'd be having "how many rings does he have to win to join MJ and Kobe in the GOAT convo?" posts.

Here's the list of wings who averaged 13ppg at 55% TS their rookie year. All of them multiple All-NBA (except Simmons). He and Kyrie are the only 19 year olds. The dude is already really good. High odds he's future All-NBA many times over.

Stats link
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
lol if the Lakers had drafted this guy, we'd be having "how many rings does he have to win to join MJ and Kobe in the GOAT convo?" posts.

Here's the list of wings who averaged 13ppg at 55% TS their rookie year. All of them multiple All-NBA (except Simmons). He and Kyrie are the only 19 year olds. The dude is already really good. High odds he's future All-NBA many times over.

Stats link

Would we?
I dont think anyone has put Kuz, BI, Lonzo, Hart in any G.O.A.T convos. Well, for the most part haha.

He had a good season for a rookie.
He had a great post season for a rookie.
I think the playoffs made his "good" regular season seem better than it was. He's good, but like all the young guys, time will tell.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Stats link

Would we?
I dont think anyone has put Kuz, BI, Lonzo, Hart in any G.O.A.T convos. Well, for the most part haha.

I think the playoffs made his "good" regular season seem better than it was. He's good, but like all the young guys, time will tell.

If he was a 13-year old rookie, with a season like that, would you say ... he had a good season for a rookie and just leave it like that?

The key here is that he was 19, more so than that he was a rookie.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject:

As was mentioned, Tatum averaged 14/5. He had a higher average in the playoffs, which were a small sample size of of the season. Imo, it's a mistake to act like the playoffs are the only thing that mattered and the regular season didn't. Also, he's 20 now, not 19. If we're calling Kuzma 23, let's call Tatum by his actual age.

I'm happy with Lonzo's 10/7/7 plus pace, plus top D, and with Kuzma alongside him. Tatum on this squad would have meant Ennis or Caruso starting at pg. I don't see LeBron or Rondo as pg's of the future. Lonzo, Kuzma and the Lakers are going to show that Tatum is redundant.

One post asked why, if Kuzma was as good as Tatum, Kuzma is being projected to come off the bench, (at pf, behind the best player in the league (He forgot to mention Tatum playing behind Hayward or whoever the pf is). If we have to answer that question, we probably shouldn't be having this conversation.

And I'm also one of those who believes Kuzma is just as good. The day Tatum is better than Kuzma, anoint him then, but it's not cool to be premature on my side of the tracks.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Stats link

Would we?

Agreed. Definitely haven't seen enough to anoint him as a multiple time all-NBAer already. At this point in time, I'm more impressed with Brad Stevens as a coach and the effect he has on players, rather than any individual player (dude turned IT into an MVP candidate!). And that's not to say that what Tatum or other guys have done under Stevens isn't impressive, because it is. Tatum's a freakin' awesome prospect, there's no doubting that. I just think his regular season, while amazing for a 3-and-D role player, doesn't scream future superstar...yet.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject:

“The way he plays the game, his demeanor, where he comes from. “I just know he's just built for stardom. He's built for success.”

— Lebron James on Tatum

seems like LBJ drank the tatum cool-aid as well.

You guys are ridiculous calling his FT not elite, Jordan and Kobe career FT% was %83

and i guess his handles are weak too

Sorry I just love his game

18.5ppg in 20 playoff games.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
Tatum is a very nice player (and played great in the playoffs with the Celts 2 other pups), but this love fest is getting ridiculous. Kuz was every bit the player that he was last season.

If kuz was as good as tatum why is he projected to come off the bench?

I know I referred to this earlier, but this is so illogical, I had to address it directly.

1) The starting lineup competition for Kuzma and Tatum isn't identical.

2) Kuzma is a pf first, the position LeBron is most likely to play.

Would Tatum be projected to start over LeBron?

Personally, I doubt he would start over Ingram this year, so if you want to build an argument for him being "light years" better than Kuzma, you chose the wrong point to prove your case.

Last edited by lakersboy on Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Vampirate
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject:

All right, enough of this Tatum (bleep) and enough of septics fans invading a Laker forum to prop up a way overhyped dude who averaged 14/5/1.

I just created an account over on the septics forum and the first thing I'm going to do is start a thread pretending I'm a septics fan who loves Kuz', Zo's, BI's, and Hart's game so much more than Tatum/Brown.

Should I start one thread for each of our guys or one thread for all four?

My avatar is a screenshot of the ESPN trade machine showing Tatum being traded to the Knicks.

Yeah, two can play, bro.

Game on.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Vampirate wrote:
All right, enough of this Tatum (bleep) and enough of septics fans invading a Laker forum to prop up a way overhyped dude who averaged 14/5/1.

I just created an account over on the septics forum and the first thing I'm going to do is start a thread pretending I'm a septics fan who loves Kuz', Zo's, BI's, and Hart's game so much more than Tatum/Brown.

My avatar is a screenshot of the ESPN trade machine showing Tatum being traded to the Knicks.

Yeah, two can play, bro.

Game on.

This is sad. Please don’t do that.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Vampirate wrote:

Yeah, two can play, bro.

Game on.

Let him be. He hates Lonzo. So of course he'll love Tatum.
It's best to ignore him. I do.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Kobe needs to help LeBron on his post moves.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject:

add kawhi

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnths7KBodB/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=132l09sy27ikz
Shecky
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
watchME wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
Tatum is a very nice player (and played great in the playoffs with the Celts 2 other pups), but this love fest is getting ridiculous. Kuz was every bit the player that he was last season.

I know I referred to this earlier, but this is so illogical, I had to address it directly.

Personally, I doubt he would start over Ingram this year, so if you want to build an argument for him being "light years" better than Kuzma, you chose the wrong point to prove your case.

Well, it is kinda important to note you're comparing Ingram at the end of his 2nd season to Tatum at the end of his rookie season. Either compare Tatum to Ingram's rookie year or wait until the end of Tatum's upcoming season to compare the two.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Shecky wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
watchME wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Well, it is kinda important to note you're comparing Ingram at the end of his 2nd season to Tatum at the end of his rookie season. Either compare Tatum to Ingram's rookie year or wait until the end of Tatum's upcoming season to compare the two.

The original comparison that I addressed was rookie Kuzma presumably not being projected to start behind LeBron, or second-year man Ingram. Nobody is comparing career statistics, it was a comparison of circumstances that Tatum and Kuzma face, and make an apples to apples comparison. If it seems logical that sophomore Kuzma is not going to start over Ingram, sophomore Tatum would not start over Ingram right now either. Tatum wasn't being compared statistically to Ingram, it's Tatum to Kuzma overall. The point is, he's looked at as being light years ahead of Kuzma...right now...according to some posters, yet it's not reasonable to believe he would have a starting spot at anytime in the near future on this Lakers roster. If that's the criteria used to measure who's better right now, then someone needs to go back to the drawing board, because that doesn't add up.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject:

PauPau wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dl4JX5pV4AA4QoJ.jpg

Just beautiful

Happiest married couple I've seen in a while
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26
Page 26 of 26
Jump to: