Long Beach Residents..need restauraunt Recommendation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Long Beach Residents..need restauraunt Recommendation

Looking for a steakhouse of Ruth Chris/Maestro's caliber something nice but not necessarily the finest of dining...preferably in Belmont Shore or 2nd street area. I know I can count on one of you!
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject:

I went to a place called Chinana, or something like that, which was up there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject:

LC coming in clutch haha
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
LC coming in clutch haha

I'm convinced LC is a vampire (or has found the fountain of youth) and is like 300 years old. Anytime I have vacation/restaurant questions, he comes through. Dude has been everywhere! LOL

Iirc there is a spot on 2nd street named "Nick's" that I tried a while back. I only had some appetizrs and drinks but the food was good.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject:

LC is spot on.

Chianina is the name.

My good friend is tight with the owners.

JB, next time, hit me up via text. I work in LB and have a lot of people who live there that know all the spots.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
22 wrote:
LC coming in clutch haha

I'm convinced LC is a vampire (or has found the fountain of youth) and is like 300 years old. Anytime I have vacation/restaurant questions, he comes through. Dude has been everywhere! LOL

Iirc there is a spot on 2nd street named "Nick's" that I tried a while back. I only had some appetizrs and drinks but the food was good.

LC is one cultured mofo. Definitely knows his stuff.

Nicks on is a nice spot. Did you get their butter cake for dessert? They also make a nice coffee liqueur infused dessert drink that is cash. And if you’re ever in the area again, there’s a spot on the opposite corner from them called
Saint & 2nd that is comparable.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
22 wrote:
LC coming in clutch haha

Nicks on is a nice spot. Did you get their butter cake for dessert? They also make a nice coffee liqueur infused dessert drink that is cash. And if you’re ever in the area again, there’s a spot on the opposite corner from them called

Nice. I'll definitely hit you up. I used to hang out in LB almost every weekend but stuck mainly to the East Village/Promenade/Pine Street. Will definitely hit you up.

Thanks for the suggestion LC. I'll be honest, I was almost certain you'd deliver with this sort of thing.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
22 wrote:
LC coming in clutch haha

I've been to Nicks before but only had appetizers/drinks. Do they have really good steaks?
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Let us know how the hot date goes.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Chianina is the closest thing to the Ruth's/Maestro's/Morton's form that there is in LB.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject:

555 Steakhouse is pretty decent.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
555 Steakhouse is pretty decent.

I've been there and it's quite good. I want to stay closer to 2nd. I think Chianina it is. I knew you mofo's wouldn't let me down.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
22 wrote:
LC coming in clutch haha

I've been to Nicks before but only had appetizers/drinks. Do they have really good steaks?

Not that I’m aware of.

Although their menu construction is semi-seasonal, their niche has normally been elevated homestyle cuisine. Stuff like short rib pot roast or even a Reuben. Haven’t been there for a little over a year. I will be there next week Sunday for my wife’s family birthday dinner so I’ll be able to peep the menu.

I know you’re down with the micheladas so, if/when you do go there, treat yourself to a Bloody Mary and ask for extra olives. They’re fried and bleu cheese stuffed and even if you’re not the biggest fan of sharp cheeses, fret not, they’re really smooth.

I used to have a residency on Pine back in the day but that’s when I was scrambling for cash so I never got to try the cuisine nearby. Haven’t been to the East Village. I have played a few gigs at shoreline and that Cajun Bbq joint isn’t half bad.

If you’re into breakfast, they do have some pretty good spots, sprinkled here and there around LB. They tend to be more traditional, comfort style but tasty all the same. If you’re into Mexican, there’s a hidden gem at the marketplace (which is at the corner of 2nd and PCH, just before you hit Naples) alled Playa Amor. They do the culinary twist thing there. My favorite is their hatch chile pasta (in a garlic cream sauce). Order it with asada and a fried egg. You won’t regret it.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject:

Good ish G.

Been on redfin just browsing for fun and I truly think this city might be my landing spot one day. It's by far the most underrated spot in So Cal as far as having it all.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Good ish G.

Been on redfin just browsing for fun and I truly think this city might be my landing spot one day. It's by far the most underrated spot in So Cal as far as having it all.

I've noticed you eyeing odds and ends in LB over the years. I don't think much of most of the city but it is in the goldilocks zone for a lot of things like proximity to all of LA and OC.

Freeway accessibility is great
Diversity of food options
True diversity of ethnic groups
Major artistic acts perform here regularly
aquarium of the pacific
maritime activities
A beach...an oil stained, stinky, stabby hobo, dirty water, hypodermic needle, no waves, dog poop every 10 yards, no worthwhile eye candy beach, but a beach none the less
2nd street...a boutique neighborhood/bro bar scene all in one.

I could make a list of drawbacks 3x as long, but there are many, many worse places in this state to live, especially when you figure the cost of living there vs. in other coastal cities. My property in east LB between CSULB and LBCC has jumped 42% in 10 years.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject:

I live in Long Beach. The city is definitely expanding and gentrifying. Right now is the time to get in if you want reasonable prices respective to the rest of socal. And Huey is right about the drive. As someone who drives out to the various courts throughout SoCal, LB is definitely a convenient starting point. So is the south bay for that matter.

As for restaurant recs, LC is spot on, but if you want something other than steak, try saint and second on 2nd atreet or beau Bo rooftop in downtown.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Good ish G.

Take a look at Carroll Park. The rentals and purchase prices were reasonable back in the day. The quirky streets are from the horse and buggy period, which wind around and dissuade drivers from using it as an access route. That gives it a more private ambience, with central grassy islands (think of LB middle-class version of Gramercy Park). I like the older architecture, it has personality.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Amandahjks wrote:
I'm hopeful that it gets higher. I think that they are trying to get us to know the characters. Right now I recognize then enough different and new beach side homes. for more info visit here.

But do you recommend the word salad?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: