KOREA
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
The Kim empire has to go for the Koreas to be unified. US would be more than fine with that, a US military base at the border of China, imagine that. Of course China won’t let that happen ever, that’s why they’ll continue to support the Kim empire economically, barely but enough to keep the family in power.

Yeah. An invasion of North Korea by both China and Russia would commence less than 24 hours of an announcement of reunification. A Starbucks will open on Mars before Korean reunification occurs. The only conceivable way Korea could be reunited is as a virtual uninhabitable parking lot as the result of a World War event. Koreashima...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
Moon's a commie masquerading as a democratically elected leader. Trump can't tell manure apart from mud.

Someone's still angry Park got caught on her corrupt (bleep).

Right. Her aide got what she deserved. Tell me what was it that Park committed to put her in the slammer? Moon, the liberal party and JTBC planned the candlelight vigils as a mass propaganda campaign to oust the sitting president. Ever heard of the duruking scandal?

Park's best defense is that she was manipulated by her personal aide to accept bribes and extort millions of dollars from corporations for political favors, let her determine policy and personnel appointments, and edit presidential speeches. That's the generous interpretation! Her prison sentence was excessive, but she was clearly unfit for her job.

It doesn't take much to get folks in South Korea - especially in Seoul - out protesting. It's condescending to assume that the protestors were duped by leftist politicians rather than reacting to Park's obvious incompetence and corruption. She was already very unpopular following the Sewol disaster, and her approval rating was below 10% as the scandal broke and before any protests occured. Again, that's an environment ripe for mass public demonstrations in the ROK.

What's your take on the druking scandal?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
999 wrote:
A unified Korea is not a good look for USA. Trump basically strengthened an opposing nation. Can you imagine South and North Korea unified military. Not good at all.

I highly doubt market democracy South Korea - with somewhere between the world's 12th to 14th largest economy - is going to line up to adhere to Juche under the authoritarian leadership of a kleptocratic sociopathic demagogue with terrible fashion sense.

The Korean peninsula will not be reunited under Kim Jong Un without a whole lot of bloodshed and a complete abdication of responsibility by the U.S.

I’m not talking about border unification. I’m talking about allies. Sanctions lifted against NK by SK. South Korean Companies investing in North Korea etc.

It's a pretty standard progressive policy approach in South Korea. We've seen the DPRK march towards its goals under harsh sanctions and cold relations with conservative ROK governments and under Sunshine policy approaches under progressive ROK governments.

You also have mixed messages from U.S. leadership toward Kim's regime and toward China that have done more to undermine the united front on DPRK sanctions from last year.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
edxzaws33 wrote:
Had the North Korea summit happened during the Obama administration, the media would have called to rename the nobel peace prize after him.

And the GOP would have called to impeach him as a traitor.

Come on, man. Let's not go there, at least in this thread.

I agree with the sentiment that the previous administration would have been hailed as visionaries, while the opposition party would have been very skeptical of the effort. Sorry, but the thread went there well before edxzaws33's post.

I do not expect much positive to take place on the Korean Peninsula as long as China supports the current regime. There may be less tension, some photo ops, and little nicer language....but for the most part North Korea will remain a dystopian hell that is a threat to any nation within reach of it's missiles. The truth is no matter how hard the US and others spin it, there are significant advantages to having nuclear weapons, and in 2018, nuclear weapons come very close to securing a nation from invasion/attack.

I do not expect much positive to come from the current US efforts, but I also do not see anything negative to this point. We just have to know who we are dealing with, and only give after we have received. The 1994 Agreed Framework was a mistake....we gave them nearly $1.5 Billion in direct aid, and received nothing in return except humiliation. North Korea would very likely not be as far along the path of their nuclear program if the 1994 Agreed Framework never happened, but they would likely still be on the same path. The world is past the point to prevent North Korea from being a nuclear power, and an overall world terror. The world could have prevented North Korea from becoming nuclear at one time, but there would have likely been a great cost. I do lean towards the side that says we look back in a couple decades and believe that preventing nations like North Korea and Iran from becoming nuclear would have been worth that cost.

Hoo boy, that's chilling.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: