Buffalo Bills cornerback retires at halftime of game

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Buffalo Bills cornerback retires at halftime of game

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24703207/buffalo-bills-cb-vontae-davis-abruptly-retires-football-half-vs-los-angeles-chargers
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

A weak move. I don't think he'll be able to show his face in a locker room without a altercation. I don't see how he can face any of his ex teammates. He could have waited until the game ended. He said he was grateful to God for being a part of the NFL and making lifelong friends over the last decade. Does he not realize he let both down?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

I want to do this every Monday morning.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

If he is truly that done, he wouldn't have been doing his teammates any favors by staying in.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
If he is truly that done, he wouldn't have been doing his teammates any favors by staying in.

True. He did pull himself out of the game, I understand that. It's my understanding he left the game and the stadium, he quit. IMO he should have gathered the troops after the game and announced his decision to retire, not let them find out through Social Media.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

On the bright side a roster spot on the Bills opened up.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Question is, who'll want to fill it? Buffalo is a career graveyard.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I don't really follow the Bills, but they made the playoffs last year. Obviously a lot changed in the offseason that they are in such bad shape.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I don't really follow the Bills, but they made the playoffs last year. Obviously a lot changed in the offseason that they are in such bad shape.

They were a very lucky 9-7 last season, won a few close games that they probably shouldn't have, and had a terrible point differential that suggested that they played more like a 6-win team last season. So if you consider that as the baseline (a 6-win team in terms of talent), they traded their QB and lost their 2 best offensive linemen (one to retirement, and one got traded). They have a rookie QB (or Nate Peterman!) playing behind a sieve of an offensive line and they have the worst WR depth in the NFL. Oh, and they are playing a second place schedule, too, which isn't easy.

Their O/U of 6.5 wins this season was one of the easiest bets of the year. I think it actually dropped to 5.5 by the dawn of the season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Yes, as a coach if I have a player not wanting to be there I would rather they walk away.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

It would almost be like playing for an NFL team.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

imo he should have at least stayed on the sideline and tried to help his teammates out.
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject:

One of my coworkers/mentors has been blabbering non-stop about retiring for the last few months now.

I told him he needs to take a page out of Vontae Davis's book and just leave at lunch time one day and never come back.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Freddie Buckets wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

imo he should have at least stayed on the sideline and tried to help his teammates out.

I agree. I'm just speaking to the idea that he should have just sucked it up and played.

Sticking around would have been the way to handle it. But the fact that he left unannounced is really odd. So odd that I think there were far deeper issues going on with him. So it probably wasn't as simple (to him) as sticking around to see his teammates through the game.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject:

he should have just claimed illness.....remained on the sidelines and spoke to his teammates after the game or on Monday before making a public announcement. It is not some macho football thing....or even sports locker room code, but the right way to handle if exiting any type of "team" where others rely or count on you. It could be sports, the debate club, a drama production, or a team project at work. Early in my career, I worked in Audit at a Big 5 (later 4) firm....and audit season includes insane hours, but almost nobody left the firm during Audit season. Many would leave right after audit season to accept higher positions in private companies....but they knew if they left during audit season, nobody within the firm would respect them or provide reference (there are always exceptions...family, health, etc.).
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
A weak move. I don't think he'll be able to show his face in a locker room without a altercation. I don't see how he can face any of his ex teammates. He could have waited until the game ended. He said he was grateful to God for being a part of the NFL and making lifelong friends over the last decade. Does he not realize he let both down?
lol. who did he let down? God and his lifelong friends? Or the NFL and his lifelong friends?

Just want to clarify
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

True. He did pull himself out of the game, I understand that. It's my understanding he left the game and the stadium, he quit. IMO he should have gathered the troops after the game and announced his decision to retire, not let them find out through Social Media.
its a game, its his job. he can leave anytime he wants to and its ok. these are not troops(i knew what you meant, but i wanted to drive that point home for a reason.)

They can still throw him a retirement party if they want to. or not. lol.
If my job was as violent as football no matter how much I made. If i felt like quitting after the first 2 snaps, I would. You never know, that next hit could be another concussion, or some other injury. Nothing wrong with someone that wants to get off the car wreck roller coaster ride. thats what football is in a nutshell. cars ramming into one another. but those cars are humans harming their bodies.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:
its a game, its his job. he can leave anytime he wants to and its ok. these are not troops(i knew what you meant, but i wanted to drive that point home for a reason.)

Yes it's a job and he can leave anytime he wants to. That doesn't make his timing right. He left his team in the heat of battle without notifying them.
Quote:

No party in my house. Ashes in the Christmas stocking.

Quote:
If my job was as violent as football no matter how much I made. If i felt like quitting after the first 2 snaps, I would. You never know, that next hit could be another concussion, or some other injury.

It's his right to quit and quit anytime he feels like it. IMO it's not right to quit at halftime and not let anyone know.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with someone that wants to get off the car wreck roller coaster ride. thats what football is in a nutshell. cars ramming into one another. but those cars are humans harming their bodies.

It's OK to get off the boat but I think it prudent to wait until it docks. Show your teammates of 10 years some respect.

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:

Yes it's a job and he can leave anytime he wants to. That doesn't make his timing right. He left his team in the heat of battle without notifying them.
Quote:

Quote:
If my job was as violent as football no matter how much I made. If i felt like quitting after the first 2 snaps, I would. You never know, that next hit could be another concussion, or some other injury.

It's his right to quit and quit anytime he feels like it. IMO it's not right to quit at halftime and not let anyone know.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with someone that wants to get off the car wreck roller coaster ride. thats what football is in a nutshell. cars ramming into one another. but those cars are humans harming their bodies.

It's OK to get off the boat but I think it prudent to wait until it docks. Show your teammates of 10 years some respect.
show them some respect? lets see. the man played crash a car into each other for that many years with his teammates. I've shown them years of respect. so if i dont show them one last half all of those years go out the window? doesnt add up.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
show them some respect?

Yes
Quote:
lets see. the man played crash a car into each other for that many years with his teammates. I've shown them years of respect.

He did what he was paid to do for years. How can you same that with respect?

Quote:
so if i dont show them one last half all of those years go out the window?

No those years will always be remembered. As will his quitting at halftime.
Quote:
doesnt add up

Third grade math. Should be easy.

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
show them some respect?

Yes
Quote:
lets see. the man played crash a car into each other for that many years with his teammates. I've shown them years of respect.

Quote:

Quote:
doesnt add up

lol Jo. did you just say they deserved more respect then that, then when I said he played all those years does that not earn him enough respect? then you said He was paid to do that. lol. So if it's all about a job and nothing else since "he was paid to do that." then he surely could leave when he felt like it and no one should be bothered by it. If it's about respect. he put himself in harms way for years on the football field.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
show them some respect?

Yes
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
doesnt add up

Quote:
lol Jo. did you just say they deserved more respect then that, then when I said he played all those years does that not earn him enough respect?

No. I said he has their respect for the years he played. He also lost some because he quit during halftime.
Quote:
then you said He was paid to do that. lol.

Yes he was. It was his job.
Quote:
So if it's all about a job and nothing else since "he was paid to do that." then he surely could leave when he felt like it and no one should be bothered by it. If it's about respect.

That's where we disagree. He can leave but it's deserting when he leaves at halftime without telling anyone.
Quote:
he put himself in harms way for years on the football field.

He did his job for years. Harms way is part of what the job entails.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: