Carnivores/grilling thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Carnivores/grilling thread

What kind of equipment do you use?

Do you have a favorite meat, cut, seasoning or recipe?

Where do you buy your meat?

We owned a Weber original 22" kettle charcoal grill when I was growing up, and that is what I've always used, because it's all I've ever known. As an adult, I purchased one which I then failed to protect from moisture, so rust destroyed its legs after only 3 years. My current Weber, the base model with the basic ash pan, is in near-mint condition after almost 10.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/charcoal-grills/original-kettle-series/741001.html

This model is $100 at most big box retailers and online, and it sometimes drop to $80 during promotions. Used ones can regularly be found on craigslist or community buying/selling Facebook groups for as low as $20, sometimes free. They are not fancy, but with the right peripherals, and there are a ton (different grates, rotisseries, thermometers, vortexes), they can be made into powerful and precise cooking tools , from what I've seen.

The only accessory I've ever owned is the weber chimney starter. I've never even tried using wood chips.

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-Chimney-Starter-start-barbeque/dp/B00026CU1E/

I like ribeyes. Once every couple of months, Whole Foods does a dry aged ribeye, and I'll take 3-4 lbs of it. They also have the best hot dog, made by wellshire farms, which I think is exclusive to Whole Foods. Otherwise, I'm perfectly fine with the prime stuff carried by costco, or the choice cuts at stater bros and ralphs.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject:

Careful with the Costco meat: at least at my local Costco in Torrance, their steaks are machine tenderized (needles poked into the meat) which can bring surface bacteria into the core of the meat, which makes it riskier to cook it rare to medium rare. I’ve been using my Sous Vide cooker to kill any possible bacteria by cooking it for two to three hours before searing on the grill.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject:

Albertsons has good steaks, and I prefer ribeye or NY strip (they are on sale often there). I use extra virgin olive oil on both sides and then season it liberally on both sides with garlic salt and pepper. There's an outdoor grill at my complex that I like to use, and if I remember this correctly, it's about 4 minutes and 15 seconds on each side at between 350-375 degree heat for a perfect medium rare. For medium, it's more like 30 seconds extra on each side. The steaks come out full of flavor like this. For me, there's no need for steak sauce; I found myself needing something like A1 or Lea & Perrins when I was much younger, but I guess I just wasn't getting the steaks seasoned enough back then.

Medium rare to medium are the only two acceptable cooks on a ribeye or a strip steak, by the way. Anything else is sacrilege.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject:

steak sauce is the stuff of philistines
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject:

I bought a traegger pellet grill at costco but returned it unused. Picked up a Weber spirit instead and it makes grilling ribeyes a breeze.

Also, next time you’re at Costco pick up a ribeye cap steak. They literally melt in your mouth.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject:

Man I'm getting hungry for a steak just reading all of this. Ribeye's are probably my favorite cut. I think they're the most flavorful of the cuts. I like porterhouses too because you get a strip and a filet.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject:

short ribs with premade Korean BBQ sauce from H-Mart, marinate overnight, 3-5 mins each side
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject:

I use gas, charcoal and oak with a Webber and a Santa Maria style BBQ. There is a good meat market in Santa Paula that carries some good cuts of meat. And venison via mail from my uncle.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
Man I'm getting hungry for a steak just reading all of this. Ribeye's are probably my favorite cut. I think they're the most flavorful of the cuts. I like porterhouses too because you get a strip and a filet.

Yup. Strip and the filet are my two favorites.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject:

Been think of having my built-in demo’d and getting a Kamado joe instead. Anyone have experience with them? Have heard great things.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject:

currently use a kamado akorn for just about everything and pull out my old horizontal chargriller with offset smoker when im trying to grill/smoke a large quantity
tonight im smoking a tri-tip for work lunch bbq sandwiches
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

Lawry's seasoning and pepper
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject:

I'm not that into grilling, but the family roasts a lamb about 3 times a year on a rotisserie I bought online (similar to this one: LINK). Just salt and nothing else. Cooks for about 4 and a half hours, and nothing beats it. It's a big tradition where I come from.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Lamb is an underrated grilling meat. I grill chops about once a month and occasionally lamb kebabs.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lamb is an underrated grilling meat. I grill chops about once a month and occasionally lamb kebabs.

Second. A little olive oil and some Montreal Steak Seasoning and they come out delicious on the grill.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Careful with the Costco meat: at least at my local Costco in Torrance, their steaks are machine tenderized (needles poked into the meat) which can bring surface bacteria into the core of the meat, which makes it riskier to cook it rare to medium rare. I’ve been using my Sous Vide cooker to kill any possible bacteria by cooking it for two to three hours before searing on the grill.

I'm all about sous vide cooking steak. Gets you the perfect temp consistently and takes a lot of the guess work out.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Albertsons has good steaks, and I prefer ribeye or NY strip (they are on sale often there). I use extra virgin olive oil on both sides and then season it liberally on both sides with garlic salt and pepper. There's an outdoor grill at my complex that I like to use, and if I remember this correctly, it's about 4 minutes and 15 seconds on each side at between 350-375 degree heat for a perfect medium rare. For medium, it's more like 30 seconds extra on each side. The steaks come out full of flavor like this. For me, there's no need for steak sauce; I found myself needing something like A1 or Lea & Perrins when I was much younger, but I guess I just wasn't getting the steaks seasoned enough back then.

Medium rare to medium are the only two acceptable cooks on a ribeye or a strip steak, by the way. Anything else is sacrilege.

But someone who lives in 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. swears by well done steaks.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

I'm all about sous vide cooking steak. Gets you the perfect temp consistently and takes a lot of the guess work out.

Do you sear the steak on a grill or on your stove? If you use your BBQ do you just turn it up to max and hit it for a minute or two on each side?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

I have a 6 burner Webber Summit, which I love - has a rotisserie and side smoker, plus a separate range burner on the side, so it provides several cooking options. Love doing birds on the rotisserie, but have frequently done the beer can method as well with great results.

For steaks, I'm definitely a ribeye guy, but we also grill a ton of carne asada and tri-tip.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Do you sear the steak on a grill or on your stove? If you use your BBQ do you just turn it up to max and hit it for a minute or two on each side?

If on stove, need a cast iron or do butter basting to get a nice sear.

I usually take it out to the charcoal grill and get a nice sear after.

Some people pre-sear, but I don't see the reason for doing that as it sits in a warm bath for hour plus and becomes gooey.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Got a Big Green Egg gifted to me two years ago. What an amazing thing (similar to the kamado).

I like smoking Brisket on it. Tri trip, Filet, and Rib-Eye all join the party at certain times.

Gonna try lamb next as I love it but just brain-farted about smoking/grilling it!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject:

Anybody par boil the meat before you barbecue? Don't put the sauce on while cooking, cooks the flavor of the sauce away? Dip it after meat is done?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Anybody par boil the meat before you barbecue? Don't put the sauce on while cooking, cooks the flavor of the sauce away? Dip it after meat is done?

>boil
>sauce

WHAT
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

No sauce unless you’re eating a cheap piece of meat like flap steak.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Double post
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: