OFFICIAL: College Football 2018 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject:

Clemson in a dogfight, I hope Syracuse can close them out.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

I have seen it all....Clemson fans storm the field after barely escaping Syracuse! Stormed the field after beating Syracuse!!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Congrats, Adkindo. Lubbock is a tough place to get a win, especially for a bunch of mountaineers.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Congrats, Adkindo. Lubbock is a tough place to get a win, especially for a bunch of mountaineers.

I was worried....talking to a friend last night about how similar this season felt to 2012. We went to Lubbock 5-0, ranked #4 in the country...Geno Smith was on or near the top of most Heisman lists....probably favored by a couple touchdowns. We were coming off a win @ Texas and Geno had just thrown for 656 Yards, 8 TD's on 45 of 51 against Baylor two weeks before. It was a nightmare....the wind was blowing so hard the flags were rippling, and our explosive offense was grounded. I swear it is crazy, but Geno would throw the ball, and it would get caught up in the wind like a Frisbee, but their QB was fine because he knew how to keep the ball low, throwing short darts all over the field. We lost 49-14....all national hopes dashed, Big 12 hopes mostly gone, Geno's Heisman campaign was buried in Lubbock. We went on to lose the next 4 games.

So there were some similarities....we come in highly ranked with national and Big 12 hopes....Grier is in the middle of a Heisman campaign....but I told my friend I hope the horse is not sick. In 2012....the whole game as our season crumbled, and the broadcast crew had little to discuss, I recall they kept talking about the Masked Rider's damn horse being sick....and all the jokes about the coach listing the damn horse on the injured list. Flip on the TV today....and son of a b#$#....the first words are "Fearless Champion" is out with a leg injury today, and "Cody" will be filling in as Masked Rider's partner!!! I was like this cannot be happening......
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject:

#13 UCF extends the nations longest winning streak to 16 games easily defeating Pitt 45-14. UCF was more impressive beating Pitt than Penn State was a couple weeks ago in my opinion. Penn State took a 31-6 lead into the 4th, while UCF took a 38-7 lead into the 4th before the benches were cleared. I do not see a loss on UCF's remaining schedule as of right now.....they could be a real thorn in the committee's side this year. Last year when the committee began releasing rankings, UCF was in the bottom of the rankings and heavily doubted.....this year they will likely be in the Top #10 and considered legit.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Penn State scores to take a 19-14 lead on Ohio State with about 12 minutes left in the game.....and choose to kick the extra point to take a 20-14 lead. Only time will tell if not going for 2 comes back to haunt them.

Update....#9 Penn State up 26-14 over #4 Ohio State with less than 8 minutes in game. ESPN quickly shifts into their "this would be considered an acceptable loss, and should not damage Ohio State's playoff hopes much" campaign.

Update...Ohio State comes back to win 27-26 over Penn State.....ESPN now thinks winning this game was critical in trying to reach the playoff....and is the best win any team in the country has on their resume. Herbie....without bias...believes Ohio State is clearly the #2 team in the country.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject:

ND looks so different w/ Book at QB I wondered why it took so long to make a switch?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
#13 UCF extends the nations longest winning streak to 16 games easily defeating Pitt 45-14. UCF was more impressive beating Pitt than Penn State was a couple weeks ago in my opinion. Penn State took a 31-6 lead into the 4th, while UCF took a 38-7 lead into the 4th before the benches were cleared. I do not see a loss on UCF's remaining schedule as of right now.....they could be a real thorn in the committee's side this year. Last year when the committee began releasing rankings, UCF was in the bottom of the rankings and heavily doubted.....this year they will likely be in the Top #10 and considered legit.

I'm hoping that UCF gets in as the #4 seed in the CFP and that they play Alabama, and that Alabama wins 5,000-0.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject:

The schedule for UFC is way too easy. If blowing out Pittsburgh is a big deal to them, that says a lot. For the other playoff contenders a win like that would be treated with a yawn.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

correction...it is 17 straight wins
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
The schedule for UFC is way too easy. If blowing out Pittsburgh is a big deal to them, that says a lot. For the other playoff contenders a win like that would be treated with a yawn.

which other contenders? Clemson who needed a big comeback to beat Syracuse @ home? Ohio State who was losing at the half and if not for a few minutes of totally self inflicted blunders would have lost to a what has proven to be a mediocre TCU team....and needed a big comeback to beat a Penn State team who needed overtime to beat Appalachian State? Or maybe you are referring to Oklahoma who needed overtime to beat Army? Notre Dame who almost lost to Ball State or should have lost to Vanderbilt....both @ home? Maybe you meant Michigan who needed a big second half comeback to squeak by a Northwestern team that got rolled by the Akron Zips last week? Wisconsin who got beat at home by BYU?

See, we can play this game all day long....but unless you are talking about Alabama....maybe Georgia....no other team has proven to be dominant this year. Have you taken a peek at Clemson's schedule? They likely will not face a ranked team all season. Should they also not be allowed in the playoff? Are you sure the PAC12 is better than the American this season....because I am not. UCF can play with any team in the country and has an offense that is explosive as any FBS team.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject:

ESPN will not disclose their FPI formula....but they have to explain why it is so flawed!

FPI #7 Michigan (4-1) compared to FPI #9 Notre Dame (5-0) - Notre Dame beat Michigan! Notre Dame also easily defeated AP #7 Stanford, while Michigan has no quality wins.

FPI #8 Washington (4-1) compared to FPI #12 Auburn (4-1) - Auburn defeated Washington....and their only loss was by 1 point to current AP #5 LSU.

FPI #13 Florida (4-1) & #18 Mississippi State (3-2) compared to FPI #28 Kentucky (5-0) - Kentucky beat both Florida and Mississippi State.

FPI #10 Miami (4-1) compared to FPI #11 LSU (5-0) - LSU beat Miami....and Auburn. Miami has beat 4 cupcakes.

FPI #24 Va. Tech (3-1) compared to FPI #28 Kentucky (5-0) and many other teams - Va. Tech lost to Old Dominion.

there are many, many other unexplainable rankings.....
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:

It is easy because the big schools are chicken sh** to put a team like them on their schedule. Same with North Dakota State, ask Iowa how that went. They only want patsies that can’t compete with them.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ESPN will not disclose their FPI formula....but they have to explain why it is so flawed!

Again, you seem to be one of the few people in the world who even know that this stat exists. I follow a lot of nerdy analytical stuff, but I had never even heard of FPI until you started ranting about it. As best I can tell, it is some sort of computer simulation.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:

Eh. Schools like UCF have to go through this from time to time. Ask Boise State. This may mean that UCF will need to go through the hazing ritual of playing big schools on the road. The conference system is rigged against schools like UCF, for sure, but that does not change the fact that no one is likely to take UCF seriously until they get a couple upper tier power five teams on their schedule.

Having said that, if the other contenders stumble enough, I’d have no problem if the committee gave them the #4 seed and let them play Alabama or whoever. I’d be fine with picking them over, say, a 10-2 team from the Big 12 or Pac 12. The committee wouldn’t be snubbing some truly deserving team.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Again, you seem to be one of the few people in the world who even know that this stat exists. I follow a lot of nerdy analytical stuff, but I had never even heard of FPI until you started ranting about it. As best I can tell, it is some sort of computer simulation.

not sure....they mention it routinely on the ESPN and ABC pregame, halftime, etc.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

It is easy because the big schools are chicken sh** to put a team like them on their schedule. Same with North Dakota State, ask Iowa how that went. They only want patsies that can’t compete with them.

Not exactly. Let’s look at UCF’s conference, the AAC. Houston managed to schedule Arizona and Texas Tech. Tulane managed to schedule Wake Forest and Ohio State. SMU managed to schedule TCU and Michigan. Tulsa managed to schedule Texas and Arkansas. UCF scheduled UNC and Pitt, and the UNC game got cancelled due to Florence. If you don’t play a ranked team from a Power 5 conference, you are not in a position to claim that you are an elite team.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Not exactly. Let’s look at UCF’s conference, the AAC. Houston managed to schedule Arizona and Texas Tech. Tulane managed to schedule Wake Forest and Ohio State. SMU managed to schedule TCU and Michigan. Tulsa managed to schedule Texas and Arkansas. UCF scheduled UNC and Pitt, and the UNC game got cancelled due to Florence. If you don’t play a ranked team from a Power 5 conference, you are not in a position to claim that you are an elite team.

those games are scheduled years in advance....they have no idea who will be good or ranked. For example, in 2019 UCF plays Pitt and Stanford, in 2020 they play North Carolina and Georgia Tech, in 2021 it is Louisville, in 2022 it is Louisville and Georgia Tech, and in 2024 & 2025 they play North Carolina.

Will Stanford be in the Top 10 next season? What will North Carolina be ranked in 2025? They scheduled South Carolina and Pitt this season, and when they were scheduled, there was no indication how good the teams would be....last season it was Georgia Tech and Maryland.

Also, Michigan may schedule SMU and Ohio State may schedule Tulane....but neither of those schools would likely schedule UCF, USF or Houston.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Those games are scheduled years in advance....they have no idea who will be good or ranked. For example, in 2019 UCF plays Pitt and Stanford, in 2020 they play North Carolina and Georgia Tech, in 2021 it is Louisville, in 2022 it is Louisville and Georgia Tech, and in 2024 & 2025 they play North Carolina.

Will Stanford be in the Top 10 next season? What will North Carolina be ranked in 2025? They scheduled South Carolina and Pitt this season, and when they were scheduled, there was no indication how good the teams would be....last season it was Georgia Tech and Maryland.

Also, Michigan may schedule SMU and Ohio State may schedule Tulane....but neither of those schools would likely schedule UCF, USF or Houston.

No, they scheduled South Carolina State. This is like my War Owls beating Prairie View A&M. We should have been nationally ranked after that.

As to your larger point, the harsh reality is that teams from the Power 5 conferences are pretty much guaranteed to play a couple top notch teams every year. Teams like UCF have no such guarantee. But if a program shows the ambition, people will respect it. Based on what you are saying, UCF has scheduled only one true national program through 2025 -- Stanford next year. Maybe Louisville will become a power again. However, if you aim low, you have to accept the risks.

As for the "They won't schedule us!" lament, well, you have to try. Houston played Oklahoma two years ago. I really don't think Alabama and Ohio State are desperate to avoid UCF at all costs.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Those games are scheduled years in advance....they have no idea who will be good or ranked. For example, in 2019 UCF plays Pitt and Stanford, in 2020 they play North Carolina and Georgia Tech, in 2021 it is Louisville, in 2022 it is Louisville and Georgia Tech, and in 2024 & 2025 they play North Carolina.

No, they scheduled South Carolina State. This is like my War Owls beating Prairie View A&M. We should have been nationally ranked after that.

As to your larger point, the harsh reality is that teams from the Power 5 conferences are pretty much guaranteed to play a couple top notch teams every year. Teams like UCF have no such guarantee. But if a program shows the ambition, people will respect it. Based on what you are saying, UCF has scheduled only one true national program through 2025 -- Stanford next year. Maybe Louisville will become a power again. However, if you aim low, you have to accept the risks.

As for the "They won't schedule us!" lament, well, you have to try. Houston played Oklahoma two years ago. I really don't think Alabama and Ohio State are desperate to avoid UCF at all costs.

I meant North Carolina....I got my hurricane week confused...all 3 teams that I follow got cancelled....WVU (NC State), UCF (North Carolina), and Marshall (South Carolina). In regards to Alabama and Ohio State....most of the truly elite programs (teams that expect to be in playoffs) have been trending 1 non-Conference Power 5, 1 FCS, and 1 or 2 very low level FBS programs. For example, Alabama scheduled Loiusville, Arkansas State, University of Louisiana at Lafayette, and The Citadel. Maybe that trend changes, but if I was a team like UCF or Houston.....I would not hold my breath. I can honestly say from WVU's perspective....I would much rather have a Tennessee on the schedule than UCF this year.....one is a likely Power 5 80ish% win over a national program....the other is a 60ish% chance of a win over a Group of 6 team.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

which other contenders? Clemson who needed a big comeback to beat Syracuse @ home? Ohio State who was losing at the half and if not for a few minutes of totally self inflicted blunders would have lost to a what has proven to be a mediocre TCU team....and needed a big comeback to beat a Penn State team who needed overtime to beat Appalachian State? Or maybe you are referring to Oklahoma who needed overtime to beat Army? Notre Dame who almost lost to Ball State or should have lost to Vanderbilt....both @ home? Maybe you meant Michigan who needed a big second half comeback to squeak by a Northwestern team that got rolled by the Akron Zips last week? Wisconsin who got beat at home by BYU?

See, we can play this game all day long....but unless you are talking about Alabama....maybe Georgia....no other team has proven to be dominant this year. Have you taken a peek at Clemson's schedule? They likely will not face a ranked team all season. Should they also not be allowed in the playoff? Are you sure the PAC12 is better than the American this season....because I am not. UCF can play with any team in the country and has an offense that is explosive as any FBS team.

How do you know that UCF can play with any team in the country? We can’t really tell how good they are with that schedule. I feel that a team like USC could run over that schedule too. Just because a team can run over a bunch of high schools doesn’t mean that it can win the SEC, Big 10, or PAC-12 championship game.

You said “which other contenders.” By the end of the season we will see several other teams that have more to their resume than “We were undefeated against cupcakes.”

Clemson plays in a real conference and will likely need to win the conference title game to get in. And yes they beat Syracuse, who is 4-0 against teams other than Clemson. Why dismiss that 4-0 record? Do you dismiss it because they didn’t play anybody? That sounds familiar.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Utah used to have undefeated seasons too. Then they moved into the PAC-12 and became irrelevant. Boise State struggled a lot more after moving to the Mountain West. Does that mean UCF is a fraud? No, but it does increase my skepticism of them.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

How do you know that UCF can play with any team in the country? We can’t really tell how good they are with that schedule. I feel that a team like USC could run over that schedule too. Just because a team can run over a bunch of high schools doesn’t mean that it can win the SEC, Big 10, or PAC-12 championship game.

You said “which other contenders.” By the end of the season we will see several other teams that have more to their resume than “We were undefeated against cupcakes.”

Clemson plays in a real conference and will likely need to win the conference title game to get in. And yes they beat Syracuse, who is 4-0 against teams other than Clemson. Why dismiss that 4-0 record? Do you dismiss it because they didn’t play anybody? That sounds familiar.

Same thing was said last season....Auburn was going to kill them in the Peach Bowl, right? The same Auburn team that took out Alabama. I know they can because I am comfortable with my ability to evaluate football talent. UCF has one of the best QB's in the country, and one of the most talented and explosive offenses in the country. I think this year if they go undefeated, they will have a very good shot at the playoff....and will represent themselves well. If 4 Power 5 teams are also undefeated, then I doubt they get in the playoff. You are calling teams like USF, Cincinnati, and Houston cupcakes....and I do not think they are cupcakes at all.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Texas Tech QB Alan Bowman in hospital after partially collapsed lung

Quote:
Texas Tech Red Raiders starting quarterback Alan Bowman's status is uncertain after the quarterback suffered a partially collapsed lung, coach Kliff Kingsbury said Sunday.

LINK

I knew the kid left the game, did not know it was that serious.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Same thing was said last season....Auburn was going to kill them in the Peach Bowl, right? The same Auburn team that took out Alabama. I know they can because I am comfortable with my ability to evaluate football talent. UCF has one of the best QB's in the country, and one of the most talented and explosive offenses in the country. I think this year if they go undefeated, they will have a very good shot at the playoff....and will represent themselves well. If 4 Power 5 teams are also undefeated, then I doubt they get in the playoff. You are calling teams like USF, Cincinnati, and Houston cupcakes....and I do not think they are cupcakes at all.

The Auburn game was just one game and it was last season, not this season. It doesn’t show me that UCF is good enough to win the SEC.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 10 of 40
Jump to: