Pauley Pavilion presented by Wescom

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Pauley Pavilion presented by Wescom

UCLA's historic Pauley Pavilion to add presenting sponsor

Quote:
UCLA's historic Pauley Pavilion will gain a presenting sponsor as part of the school's $38 million, 10-year deal with a credit union.

The deal announced Wednesday with Wescom Credit Union calls for permanent signage on the basketball arena that will read Edwin W. Pauley Pavilion presented by Wescom.

LINK

I have not paid attention to these type of sponsorship deals in recent years....but that seems like a good sum just for post/add on name sponsorship rights. I know they wouldn't and pretty much couldn't (due to public outrage), but thankful they did not sell the actual naming rights as in changing the actual "Pauley Pavilion" name.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Pretty much how all stadium/arena naming rights are going. The money is too good to pass up.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject:

Naming rights always confuse me. With a few exceptions, they tend to just be forgotten about. I often wonder how much real marketing value it creates for those purchasing them.

Will anybody even say "Pauley pavilion presented by Wescom" on a consistent basis during broadcasts? Unlikely except for in the few places where they're legally required to throw it in. It's going to always be the famed Pauley Pavilion, or Pauley when announcers reference it.

Staples Center, as a different example, is forced to be said each time, though I'd question if it's really created any more brand visibility for Staples. Guess this is why I could never do a marketing job.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject:

I guess there's got to be enough of a ROI for these companies to keep doing this. On the surface it seems to make little sense in the cases like this, where a building already has a well-known name.

Brand new buildings are another story, obviously.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:

Staples Center, as a different example, is forced to be said each time, though I'd question if it's really created any more brand visibility for Staples.

That, too. After almost 20 years "Staples" just like a name more than a reference to a company. I almost never make the association between the Lakers' arena and an office supply store.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

Staples Center, as a different example, is forced to be said each time, though I'd question if it's really created any more brand visibility for Staples.

That, too. After almost 20 years "Staples" just like a name more than a reference to a company. I almost never make the association between the Lakers' arena and an office supply store.

every home game....the images outside with fans entering the building....I always have an urge to buy some paper clips and high grade printer paper.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
Naming rights always confuse me. With a few exceptions, they tend to just be forgotten about. I often wonder how much real marketing value it creates for those purchasing them.

Will anybody even say "Pauley pavilion presented by Wescom" on a consistent basis during broadcasts? Unlikely except for in the few places where they're legally required to throw it in. It's going to always be the famed Pauley Pavilion, or Pauley when announcers reference it.

Staples Center, as a different example, is forced to be said each time, though I'd question if it's really created any more brand visibility for Staples. Guess this is why I could never do a marketing job.

Its just not naming rights for the arena. They are expanding their advertising across areas of the campus. My guess is that they will keep UCLA students as customers even after they graduate.

As far as Staples Center is concerned, the naming rights were sold before the arena was even finished building so most people have never heard of it being referred to as anything else. I'm sure if there is another corporate sponsor that takes over the naming rights people will eventually switch over to referring to the arena's newer name in the future.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

It sure does. By the time the Lakers moved to Staples Center, there was no Staples stores here in Brazil. When they arrived here, I sure knew what they were.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: