Official 2018 NBA Draft Class Thread - Who is your ROY??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you think will win 2018-19 NBA ROY
Ayton
20%
 20%  [ 10 ]
Doncic
50%
 50%  [ 25 ]
Young
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Bagley
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Sexton
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Knox
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Miles Bridges
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Gilgeous-Alexander
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Svi
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Other
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 50

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Official 2018 NBA Draft Class Thread - Who is your ROY??

I'll try to keep this OP updated over the months (and years) with stats following the career trajectories of what looks to be many talented young players in another deep draft class.

Quantitative and qualitative observations, slap fights, and highlight clips all welcome.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Early ROY favorite (?) Miles Bridges with an impressive preseason showing against the Celtics:

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Early hot take: I think there's a not insignificant probability that Marvin Bagley is a bust.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

Kevin Huerter: https://twitter.com/ATLHawks/status/1046905276228653057

Also Kevin Huerter: https://twitter.com/KLChouinard/status/1046914802021543942
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject:

Trae Young shot poorly (1 for 6 from 3) in his debut, but had 8 assists (2 tovs) in 20 minutes and showed off some creativity and vision.

Steve Nash impersonation: https://twitter.com/KLChouinard/status/1046934464612450305

He's so unselfish, he gave up the assist and took a hit to his FG% for the lob to Collins: https://twitter.com/KLChouinard/status/1046921908564955136
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Early hot take: I think there's a not insignificant probability that Marvin Bagley is a bust.

DeAndre Ayton, otoh, does not look like a bust. Here's some highlights of him dunking on a bunch of Kings in his debut:

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:

Grayson Allen dark horse
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Grayson Allen dark horse

Good call, sadly. I wasn't super high on Allen (I thought he was more an early 2nd pick), but he could be a really useful combo guard in Snyder's offense.

Here's Ted Cruz's love child raining transition threes in his preseason debut:

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Bamba's 3pt stroke is looking nice: https://twitter.com/frontofficeeye/status/1047156151182344194
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

ROY's been on a bad streak.

Over the past 5 years, it went to two guys who look like they're going to be good (SImmons and Towns) but also to three nothing special guys (Brogdon, Wiggins, Carter-Williams)

Guys who got passed up were Victor Oladipo, Giannis Antetokounmpo, and Joel Embiid.

So I don't think of it as a particularly significant award, or predictive of players' future success.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject:

^

Of course, the RoY award has been going to the higher impact first year players, rather than the higher upside players: Carter-Williams rather than Oladipo.

Curious as how one calls a 20 PPG career average "nothing special" (Wiggins.) Wiggins is not the god that many had forecasted him to become, but he is a pure scorer, that's a valued commodity in this league even now.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject:

Individual health, roster health and comparative opportunities are always equal factors to talent for this award, but I voted Knox become of the convergence of team focus, roster need, fit and ability.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

Landry Shamet showing range and the ability to attack closeouts:

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject:

Trae Young nutmeggin' fools: https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/1048401868433629184

He's shooting a terrible 18% on 3s, but averaging 6.5 assists per game so far.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

Mo Bamba, OTOH, is 4/4 from 3 and is showing off some handles: https://twitter.com/TheRenderNBA/status/1048356526568685568
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ROY's been on a bad streak.

Over the past 5 years, it went to two guys who look like they're going to be good (SImmons and Towns) but also to three nothing special guys (Brogdon, Wiggins, Carter-Williams)

Guys who got passed up were Victor Oladipo, Giannis Antetokounmpo, and Joel Embiid.

So I don't think of it as a particularly significant award, or predictive of players' future success.

But if the Sixers didn't injure their top rookie every year, the past five ROY winners could've been MCW, Embiid, Towns, Simmons, and Mitchell.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Lonnie Walker is going to be out for awhile:
Quote:
Jeff McDonald
@JMcDonald_SAEN
Spurs say Lonnie Walker IV has torn the meniscus in his right knee and will have to undergo Monday to repair. He tore meniscus in the same knee last fall before his freshman season at Miami. Story to come.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Nets 2nd round pick Rodions Kurucs was a sleeper I liked a lot last year. Here's some highlights of his preseason debut where he got his AK47 on:

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject:

How good is Ayton expected to be? Are we seeing a resurgence of the Center position in the modern NBA with Towns, Embiid, Jokic, and Porzingis?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
^

Of course, the RoY award has been going to the higher impact first year players, rather than the higher upside players: Carter-Williams rather than Oladipo.

Curious as how one calls a 20 PPG career average "nothing special" (Wiggins.) Wiggins is not the god that many had forecasted him to become, but he is a pure scorer, that's a valued commodity in this league even now.

I don't want to get into a semantics debate of what constitutes a "nothing special player." I'll leave it at this: There are a lot of guys in the NBA who could average 20 ppg if they were allowed to jack up a lot of shots on bad teams.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:
^

I don't want to get into a semantics debate of what constitutes a "nothing special player." I'll leave it at this: There are a lot of guys in the NBA who could average 20 ppg if they were allowed to jack up a lot of shots on bad teams.

I'm not sure that I'd call Wiggins a pure scorer or a valued commodity right now. The TWolves gambled that he would progress as a player, and instead he regressed a little. I was wondering whether he would react to the criticism by working hard in the off-season and coming back better. Based on preseason showings, the answer is no. This contract may become a cautionary tale.

So Wiggins is a small forward who doesn't shoot well, doesn't rebound, doesn't pass well, doesn't play much defense, and doesn't hustle. I hope the kid gets it together, but regardless, he managed to get paid.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:
^

I'm not sure that I'd call Wiggins a pure scorer or a valued commodity right now. The TWolves gambled that he would progress as a player, and instead he regressed a little. I was wondering whether he would react to the criticism by working hard in the off-season and coming back better. Based on preseason showings, the answer is no. This contract may become a cautionary tale.

So Wiggins is a small forward who doesn't shoot well, doesn't rebound, doesn't pass well, doesn't play much defense, and doesn't hustle. I hope the kid gets it together, but regardless, he managed to get paid.

If not for his contract, I wonder if he would even start because he brings so many negatives. I agree he's a cautionary tale about giving a ton of money to a player based on potential/hope, especially when the player himself doesn't seem to care all that much.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Ayton. He's basically the only scorer on the team until Booker comes back, and even then, Booker/Ayton PnR is legit.

Doncic has to distribute a lot more and for whatever reason, I don't think he'll get as much national attention. Mavs are just more loaded.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Ayton. He's basically the only scorer on the team until Booker comes back, and even then, Booker/Ayton PnR is legit.

Doncic has to distribute a lot more and for whatever reason, I don't think he'll get as much national attention. Mavs are just more loaded.

Ayton seems like a likely 19-10 guy out of the gate, but I expect the Suns to be one of the bottom five teams in the NBA while the Mavs could be a sneaky contender for the 8th seed. So Doncic could get a winning team bump even if his numbers are conventionally more pedestrian than Ayton's.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject:

Here's OKC 2nd round pick Hami Diallo hitting three 3-pointers en route to a 19 point, 4 assist performance:

If Diallo can shoot somewhat competently from deep, he could pass up Ferguson in the Thunder's rotation pretty quickly. Color me impressed with this small sample from a player I was down on as more athlete than basketball player. Hopefully Diallo keeps it up (except against the Lakers).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: