A DNA test said a man was 4% black. Now he wants to qualify as a minority business owner.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
maybe I am repeating myself, but these regulations were not adopted because people with Asian origins are bad at client service.....or citizens with African origins have a genetic flaw that impedes their ability to market and advertise. The regulations are supposed to make an effort in balancing the playing field for citizens that have more likely been discriminated against, and may encounter ongoing discrimination based on physical appearance that differs from the majority. I do not know the % where the human body begins to demonstrate physical characteristics of a race/ethnicity, but I am confident that experts in the science fields that study related areas could tell us a solid round number that would include the vast majority of individuals the law is intended to serve....and from that guys picture, I am confident it is greater than 4%.

That’s tough though. I’m biracial and there’s really no reason as to why one biracial person looks white and another doesn’t, and in that case it’s 50/50. Also you can be visually white and experience discrimination, see folks like Walter White of the NAACP back in the early 20th century. As for the guy in the OP it’s hard to say definitively if he’s gaming the system or not, but I’m always careful about making fun of how other people see themselves with regard to the rest of society.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: A DNA test said a man was 4% black. Now he wants to qualify as a minority business owner.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I'm just of the opinion that we shouldn't qualify or disqualify people, for anything, based solely on the color of their skin. I think doing that sort of things evolves over time into very dangerous and divisive rhetoric.

So call me crazy, but if I had an extra plate of food to give, I'd rather give it to the white homeless man than mail it over to Harvard student Malia Obama.

You're getting into the general politics of affirmative action. Personally, I've never had a problem with affirmative action as a short term remedy. However, it started to become structural, which led to a backlash both in public opinion and from the courts. Today, the buzzword is diversity. Again, I have no problem with promoting diversity, but at some point it may start becoming structural again.

On this specific topic, it is hard to see how a benefit to someone who claims to have 4% sub-Saharan African ancestry promotes diversity. We're talking about someone cleverly exploiting a loophole, not a civil rights matter.

So yes, this is stupid. The so-called one drop rule is not the law. The courts or the government will need to adopt a definition to get rid of people like this, and whatever they do will piss people off.

I agree this particular story is stupid, but, mainly for me, it highlights the silly notion that a person isn't black enough, or brown enough, or whatever color enough to be deemed worthy of whatever particular benefit.

If this guy gets nothing because he is only 4%, then at what point should he get something? 8%? 25%? 50%? Or, would he only get a benefit amount equivalent to his racial makeup?

It seems to me, that whether he is 4% or 100% of anything, if he is not in need of financial assistance, then he shouldn't get any financial assistance at all. The amount of available assistance is finite, and this is a zero sum game. Prioritize those who need the most help, whether those people are dark or light in skin tone.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
He should ask the good Senator Warren to intercede on his behalf.

Bout the same percentages

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5bc4648ce4b040bb4e840fd6

“The vast majority” of Warren’s ancestry is European but “the results strongly support the existence of an unadmixed Native American ancestor” six to 10 generations ago, according to Carlos D. Bustamante, a Stanford University professor who analyzed the results.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
He should ask the good Senator Warren to intercede on his behalf.

Bout the same percentages

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5bc4648ce4b040bb4e840fd6

“The vast majority” of Warren’s ancestry is European but “the results strongly support the existence of an unadmixed Native American ancestor” six to 10 generations ago, according to Carlos D. Bustamante, a Stanford University professor who analyzed the results.

at best she is near 3% if it is 6 generations....but if it is 10 generations, she is 0.02% per this professor that she selected to analyze her DNA.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject:

It sounds like Pocahontas has even less, if she has any at all. The hypothetical ancestor would have been somewhere between the early 1700s and the early 1800s.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject:

Sick burn bro.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
For years he identified as white. Now he’s using a DNA test to claim minority status for his business

LINK

One-drop rule

LINK

Quote:
Yeah but maybe that’s because he never took the DNA test prior to all that.

Yeah maybe it wasn't beneficial to be Black prior to that. Don't know when he opened his business. Could be of late.

Quote:
This is the problem with giving benefits to people based on how they look so now you have to say that to be black means you have to look a certain way and if you do not look that way you are not black.

This melting pot called the human race is such a hodgepodge that looks can be deceiving.

Quote:
So should it be based on genetics or looks?

Genetics. But as I said if you use the one drop rule where do you draw the genetic line?

Quote:
Well, this is why I have always had issues with group identity based benefit programs like this. And perhaps, in part, my position is the result of being a person who is biracial. (well, I haven't taken a DNA test yet, maybe I am tri- or quad-racial, haha). Because I never seem to fully "fit in" with one group or the other.

Programs like this were started to help those who were being overlooked because of their ethnicity. If you take the test and find one drop of Black blood will that change your perspective of who you are. I hope not.
Quote:
I agree with AussieSuede -- programs should be designed to help the disadvantaged, not people with a particular hue of skin color because then you end up denying people if their hue isn't light or dark enough.

There are programs in place designed to help those of who you speak. I think you may be overlooking them.

According to Ancestry.com ads, finding out your genetic code complete alters your self view and you should get on with it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: