NBA GM Survery for 2019 season
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Who is that idiot Washington writer who thinks we will miss the playoffs?

Tim Bontemps - the always pessimistic, Laker hater. His personal life must suck...just based on his constant pessimism.

He really hates the Lakers for some reason.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Tim Bontemps - the always pessimistic, Laker hater. His personal life must suck...just based on his constant pessimism.

Stan Van Gundy also acted like a douchebag in regards to the Lakers not being contenders.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

He was positive this summer in regards to the Lakers getting a big name player this summer, very weird to see these guys disrespect the Lakers especially knowing that they thought the FO had a good chance to significantly Improve the team.

In this particular case, it seems to be click bait which is why I didn’t click.

How anyone can say a 35 win team with Lonzo and Ingram missing so much time, can’t get 13+ more wins with Lebron and other veterans is amazing. Of course, this is what happens when a national media guy who hates the organization doesn’t watch games.

The Lakers played like a 40+ win team with no closer; especially 1st half of the season where they lost a bunch of games in crunch time.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
I didn't think this was a big deal last year. If anything the top eastern teams had a harder time in the earlier rounds than the western teams did.

If you did a 1-16 seeding, the Nuggets would have made the playoffs instead of the Wizards -- no big deal to anyone except the team's fans. I don't know that the playoffs would have been any better overall.

In fact, that may have been a reason that this rule change actually lost a lot of support compared to last year.

I expect that some GMs lost interest when they thought through the logistics. The schedules are uneven during the regular season, though this is not as significant as a lot of people want to think (because every team has 58 of 82 games in common, and thus less than a third of the schedule is conference-only). Still, people in the media would complain about it, especially with respect to seeding. Suppose Boston gets the #1 seed with a 65-17 record, and the Lakers get the #5 seed with a 61-21 record. The blog pieces would just about write themselves.

Also, you get the travel issues. Imagine a second or third round playoff series between Portland and Miami. The league would need to add more travel dates. (This would be less of a problem in the first round, because the games are spaced out anyway.)

As I have said many times over the years (and most people agree with this), the fundamental problem is with the ownership and management of the teams in the East. Boston has the best GM in the league, in my opinion. The Sixers pulled the NBA equivalent of the Astros shuffle and are now loaded. Thank goodness for that, because Lebron has been the only thing keeping the East relevant since Ainge 1.0 got old.

Otherwise, all of the teams in the East have been pathetic over the past 20 years. The Bulls dynasty ended. Iverson and Larry Brown had one good season, but then the Sixers were trash until Trust the Process arrived. The Pistons burned brightly for about three years, but then the law of averages caught up with Joe Dumars. Dolan and Isiah and Phil have left the Knicks in shambles. The Celtics had become just another franchise until Ainge arrived. The Heat burned brightly for a year or two with Wade and Snaq, but then were done after that. The Heat and Cavs were relevant when Lebron was there, but otherwise were nothing special. The Raptors became a classic example of a great regular season team. The other teams -- Hawks, Bucks, Nets, Pacers, Bobcats, Wizards, Magic -- are the essence of unambitious mediocrity. They all have a good year now and again, but most of the time they stink. The Kings would fit in great.

When you see what owners and GMs manage to accomplish in the West, it just makes the East inexplicable and infuriating. Spend some money, people.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

He was positive this summer in regards to the Lakers getting a big name player this summer, very weird to see these guys disrespect the Lakers especially knowing that they thought the FO had a good chance to significantly Improve the team.

In this particular case, it seems to be click bait which is why I didn’t click.

How anyone can say a 35 win team with Lonzo and Ingram missing so much time, can’t get 13+ more wins with Lebron and other veterans is amazing. Of course, this is what happens when a national media guy who hates the organization doesn’t watch games.

The Lakers played like a 40+ win team with no closer; especially 1st half of the season where they lost a bunch of games in crunch time.

I don’t even think these guys watched any Laker games last year.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Honestly man, I stopped caring about Laker haters once I realized that I'd probably hate the Lakers if I wasn't a Lakers fan.

Success breeds jealousy and jealousy breeds hate.

I went from supporting the Warriors (live in the Bay) to (bleep) hating the Warriors as soon as we got Lebron cause now them being so overpowered actually matters to us.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Honestly man, I stopped caring about Laker haters once I realized that I'd probably hate the Lakers if I wasn't a Lakers fan.

I went from supporting the Warriors (live in the Bay) to (bleep) hating the Warriors as soon as we got Lebron cause now them being so overpowered actually matters to us.

He did give us a chance us to 50 games if our guys ball out.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

So you assume that we are going to be perfectly healthy this year? We actually had below average injuries last year.

So we replaced Randle and Lopez with Lebron and a handful of older journeymen. It's an upgrade, but when you add older players, you increase your injury risk. If Lebron misses a significant number of games, this team is a hot mess unless the kids grow up unexpectedly fast.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

So you assume that we are going to be perfectly healthy this year? We actually had below average injuries last year.

So we replaced Randle and Lopez with Lebron and a handful of older journeymen. It's an upgrade, but when you add older players, you increase your injury risk. If Lebron misses a significant number of games, this team is a hot mess unless the kids grow up unexpectedly fast.

Those so called journeyman can help us win unlike the trash vets we picked up in recent years.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
NotHype wrote:
What’s more interesting to me than Giannis being #1 choice to start a franchise

Is how KAT completely fell off the list.

I agree it’s kinda crazy that a guy who puts up 25/10 every game basically isn’t even on the list, do these GMs see something we don’t?

He was high on the previous list after finishing 25-12. Last year, he dropped to 21-12, and he didn't have the breakout season people were expecting (neither did Minnesota). I can't argue with any of the guys in front of him. If I were starting a franchise today, he wouldn't be one of the top 7 guys I choose.
NotHype
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Stan Van Gundy also acted like a douchebag in regards to the Lakers not being contenders.

Let’s be honest... we’re not.

Not even close with this roster.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

NotHype wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I mean there is a chance we aren’t but we can get there if we see good enough progress from the players, even Luke said we can be title contenders at the end of the season.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

yeah, he is a ball of fun

anyone recall the time last year during the playoffs when he fell asleep on the podcast? It was him and several ESPN guys....maybe Pelton, Windhorst, etc...they were all traveling between games, and were trying to record their weekly podcast at some late hour.....Bontemps goes quiet about 10 minutes in....then he is not responding....then you hear him semi snoring/breathing into the phone/mic. It was pretty funny. They finally have to end it because he is not waking up.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Oh yeah, I laugh at some of these “National media” guys...and I don’t take them seriously whatsoever.

It’s pretty clear they don’t watch much. Bontemps brags about living in the Bay Area while working for the Washington Post. He made sure to bring it up again on the 710 earlier this week. I would be surprised if he actually watched much basketball outside of the Warriors.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
NotHype wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I mean there is a chance we aren’t but we can get there if we see good enough progress from the players, even Luke said we can be title contenders at the end of the season.

I'm not really sure what people mean by "contender."

I'd say most people feel that the Warriors are the overwhelming favorite to win a ring, and the only ones who have even a decent chance to stop them are the Rockets or the Celtics.

Most people probably view our ceiling as getting to the second round.

Of course, soon enough the real games will start and we won't have to guess about who is a contender -- we'll see it by who wins.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject:

Lakers had only one 3rd place mention in all of the Defense categories, what does that tell you?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

No, not assuming perfect health.

Of course if Lebron or other key player misses time; it changes things a bit. The 31 win T-wolves struggled without Butler but ultimately held on for a playoff spot. The 35 win lakers had 2 of their big 3 miss so many games in addition to Hart missing some time.

It’s one thing to say they aren’t a 55+ win team or legit championship contender; it’s another thing to be a hater and make lazy predictions specifically when it’s clear the guy doesn’t watch the Lakers or much of the rest of the league.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Lakers had only one 3rd place mention in all of the Defense categories, what does that tell you?

That the preseason supports the survey?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: