Why are Lakers preseason games almost always home games?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Why are Lakers preseason games almost always home games?

Maybe it has been posted before but I never heard why the Lakers always get to play at home in preseason. I noticed they do have one road game at Golden State and I can't remember that happening in a long time. Don't the other teams want a chance to have a Lakers aided sellout at their arena?
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject:

they are the most popular team in the league. preseason doesn't matter. So they do the fans a favor and maximize the number of preseason games Home so the biggest fanbase can spend the most when it doesn't matter to the rest of the league.
Ryan1973
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are Lakers preseason games almost always home games?

Treble Clef wrote:
Maybe it has been posted before but I never heard why the Lakers always get to play at home in preseason. I noticed they do have one road game at Golden State and I can't remember that happening in a long time. Don't the other teams want a chance to have a Lakers aided sellout at their arena?

The Lakers only played two home games at the Staples Center. The rest are at neutral sites. I wouldn't call that a lot of home games.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject:

interesting question. Do teams get to schedule their own preseason games?
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

well, they definitely have input. most likely the logistics depends on many things like other events in the same arena etc.
NotHype
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are Lakers preseason games almost always home games?

Ryan1973 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

The Lakers only played two home games at the Staples Center. The rest are at neutral sites. I wouldn't call that a lot of home games.

I wouldn’t call San Diego, Anaheim and Vegas neutral sites when the entire arena is Laker fans and Lawrence Tanter says “your Los Angeles Lakers”
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers have colonies outside of Los Angeles.

Vegas, San Diego, Hawaii, Bakersfield/Central Valley...all Laker hotbeds outside of LA.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

well, they definitely have input. most likely the logistics depends on many things like other events in the same arena etc.

Well, does the NBA schedule the games or do they let the teams schedule them like in College
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are Lakers preseason games almost always home games?

Treble Clef wrote:

It's only been that way for about the past 15 years and one reason is the abundance of arenas in SC and Vegas. If there's even an arena in Ontario, there's a lot of arenas. The schedules used to be much more diverse from about early Del Harris backward. However, now they even play the Nuggets, GS, LAC every year and they're probably going to go from 8 to 6 as a regular feature. They used to play different teams back in the day.

EG: at Heat, 93

at Celtics 91

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are Lakers preseason games almost always home games?

non-player zealot wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

It's only been that way for about the past 15 years and one reason is the abundance of arenas in SC and Vegas. If there's even an arena in Ontario, there's a lot of arenas. The schedules used to be much more diverse from about early Del Harris backward. However, now they even play the Nuggets, GS, LAC every year and they're probably going to go from 8 to 6 as a regular feature. They used to play different teams back in the day.

at Celtics 91

So then who makes the schedule? The teams? The NBA?
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Because......... THEY ARE THE LAKERS!!!!
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Because C.R.E.A.M. 💵
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject:

When we played The Warriors in San Diego the past couple of years it’s been mostly a Lakers crowd, but there were plenty of Warriors bandwagoners. There were 0 Nuggets fans this year in San Diego. The Lakers run things. What can I say? Our announcers, our dancers, or tv crew, the music production, the lighting, etc all travel better also.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject:

I don’t like it either. They need to play in an NBA town outside of SoCal and Vegas to get their feet wet for the hostile road games in the regular season.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
I don’t like it either. They need to play in an NBA town outside of SoCal and Vegas to get their feet wet for the hostile road games in the regular season.

Anytime I watch the Lakers play away games, especially in ATL, NO, and Charlotte there always seems to be a large Lakers crowd. And in the ATL, I heard that the crowd is usually majority Lakers fans. So a lot of times away games aren’t true away games for the Lakers.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Why are Lakers preseason games almost always home games?

LongBeachPoly wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

at Celtics 91

So then who makes the schedule? The teams? The NBA?

NBA has final say.
THey need input from all the venues, arenas, owners, etc. It's a calculus exercise to make all the games work with all the events going on in different cities. It's not the NBA or the team says we're going to play on such and such date and THAT"S FINAL! There's the TV schedule they have to consider, like making sure the Lakers or Warriors play someone very important on Christmas. It's not simple.
NotHype
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Anytime I watch the Lakers play away games, especially in ATL, NO, and Charlotte there always seems to be a large Lakers crowd. And in the ATL, I heard that the crowd is usually majority Lakers fans. So a lot of times away games aren’t true away games for the Lakers.

Don’t forget places like DC, New York, San Antonio, Denver, Phoenix, Sacramento...

That is what comes with the territory when you are the greatest NBA franchise. Whether we are title contenders or in the lottery we still have the largest and most loyal following.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Why are Lakers preseason games almost always home games?

Ryan1973 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

Those are all home games. They're near LA and they have the lakers floor, announcers, etc.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Any area that hasn't had a consistently good team is going to be full of Lakers fans because people prefer to follow winning teams. I don't know if there are more than 5-10 arenas that don't end up sounding like a Lakers home game during games. If they played some of these preseason games on the road, they would feel like home games anyway but I'm not sure why the teams all agree to this unless the preseason game revenue is all divided evenly.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Any area that hasn't had a consistently good team is going to be full of Lakers fans because people prefer to follow winning teams. I don't know if there are more than 5-10 arenas that don't end up sounding like a Lakers home game during games. If they played some of these preseason games on the road, they would feel like home games anyway but I'm not sure why the teams all agree to this unless the preseason game revenue is all divided evenly.

Teams could use the Charger strategy, make a ticket for any Laker game part of a 6-game ticket package. It should help their bottom line.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Why are Lakers preseason games almost always home games?

Treble Clef wrote:

I think a lot of the popular western teams do the same thing. They have a game or two in their own arena, and then they play a couple of games at neutral sites. It's all set up to minimize traveling, while giving people in nearby areas a taste if the NBA. So you'll see say the Kings and Warriors play in Hawaii.

Last edited by activeverb on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Why are Lakers preseason games almost always home games?

Treble Clef wrote:

Would the Lakers agree to travel beyond California and Vegas?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Why are Lakers preseason games almost always home games?

Bard207 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

The Lakers have played preseason games in China and Hawaii. However, there are so many venues around So Cal that can support games there really isn't a need for them or the Clippers to travel.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

And preaseason games don't do any of that because they are games that don't matter....in fact if it was anybody that is hostile its probably the overzealous Lakers fans...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Why are Lakers preseason games almost always home games?

activeverb wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

The Lakers have played preseason games in China and Hawaii. However, there are so many venues around So Cal that can support games there really isn't a need for them or the Clippers to travel.

They used to have preseason games in Fresno, Bakersfield, Hawaii and Ontario. There are more venues that want a Laker pre-season game than they can accommodate.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: