3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 28

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
I think Exhibit A for what instrument "exudes the sound of Jazz" is the number of people who mistake Kenny G's music for Jazz, merely because he plays something that's almost a saxophone.

Bring him up, we might also want to consider that much of Sinatra's music is considered jazz, though when I think of him, I think of big band and mostly crappy pop.

Whatever you want to call it, it is not my cup of tea--or anything else.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject:

Need to add a spot for upright bass. Even though I play electric bass, it has no place in Jazz. That 70's slap bass garbage is just as bad as Kenny G IMO.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Need to add a spot for upright bass. Even though I play electric bass, it has no place in Jazz. That 70's slap bass garbage is just as bad as Kenny G IMO.

Yeah, I also play electric bass and am not even competent on the upright. Totally different instrument.

One of my fave modern guys is Christian McBride, who is adept on both upright/electric.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject:

Vocalists?

Of course my favorite female singer is Ella. Wish I could have heard her live.

Male singer? I actually like a guy named Gregory Porter or Kurt Elling. Not as familiar with older male jazz singers.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Vocalists?

Quote:

We agree on Ella. Saw her live at Birdland in New York. I hadn't physically seen her or a picture and was surprised when I did. She didn't fit her voice. I expected a petite doll. Sarah Vaughan and Dinah Washington right in the mix.

Quote:
Male singer? I actually like a guy named Gregory Porter or Kurt Elling. Not as familiar with older male jazz singers.

My very favorite male vocalist is Luther Vandross but he's not a jazz singer. He left to soon as did Michael Jackson though Michael was more a onstage presence.

When I finally sat down and listened to Frank Sinatra I said "Damn" dat bouy can rally sang!!! His album For Lovers Only is a masterpiece. Have to mention Billy Eckstine.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Vocalists?

Quote:

We agree on Ella. Saw her live at Birdland in New York. I hadn't physically seen her or a picture and was surprised when I did. She didn't fit her voice. I expected a petite doll. Sarah Vaughan and Dinah Washington right in the mix.

Quote:

My very favorite male vocalist is Luther Vandross but he's not a jazz singer. He left to soon as did Michael Jackson though Michael was more a onstage presence.

When I finally sat down and listened to Frank Sinatra I said "Damn" dat bouy can rally sang!!! His album For Lovers Only is a masterpiece. Have to mention Billy Eckstine.

Check out Porter and Elling. My two favorite male jazz singers today.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Vocalists?

Quote:

Quote:

Both are nice. I have Firestick Pandora. The option MY STATIONS allows search a artist and add them. I may add Kurt Elling.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Gotta give some love to the guitar, in particular George Benson. An absolute legend in my opinion (can sing his tail off as well).
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Vocalists?

Quote:

Quote:

Both are nice. I have Firestick Pandora. The option MY STATIONS allows search a artist and add them. I may add Kurt Elling.

Vocalists? Leon Thomas gotta be on the playlist
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject:

If you like Smooth Jazz Boney James

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Like I said earlier in the thread, the rhythm section is the heart of Jazz. I love the sound of a standup bass, and it's definitely at the core of the sounds that make jazz what it is. But I completely disagree with your take that electric bass has no place in jazz. Artists like Jaco Pastorius prove that take wrong. You may not like jazz fusion, but there's no doubt that the soul involved is absolutely jazz.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:

One of my favorite YouTubers* is a jazz electric bassist. I can't say I agree with that. And the double bass has a long history outside of jazz as well so I don't see a compelling 1-to-1 correlation.

* I don't really follow YouTubers beyond GT so it's actually pretty high praise.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Vocalists?

Greg Porter actually headlined the only jazz performance I've watched live. As part of a university event we saw him tour Liquid Spirit in San Diego. Fun fact, I also took a class with and worked with one of Porter's producers, who is a professor at UCSD, so I got to see a Grammy in person which was pretty cool.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Not that the chemistry would work, but who would you have on an all time Jazz squad?

I kind of think Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue" squad is close.

Trumpet: Miles Davis (Clifford Brown would be a 2nd).
Sax: Coltrane
Piano: Bill Evans
Organ: Jimmy Smith
Drum: Art Blakey (he may be the Lance Stephenson on this squad )
Bass: Mingus

I mean so many people with so much game.

I love Miles's lineup on In a Silent Way. Miles on trumpet, Wayne Shorter on sax, John McLaughlin on guitar, Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock on piano/keys, Dave Holland on bass, and Tony Williams on drums. That album and era for Davis is really special to me.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Vocalists?

Quote:

Quote:

Don't listen to much pop.

Teamof2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
I think Exhibit A for what instrument "exudes the sound of Jazz" is the number of people who mistake Kenny G's music for Jazz, merely because he plays something that's almost a saxophone.

He has hurt jazz tremendously, though I can dig some smooth jazz (only when it's in live as opposed to studio recording form).

love this clip of pat metheny talking about kenny g.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Vocalists?

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe there's another Leon Thomas but I don't think this one could be considered pop unless your tastes are truly eclectic.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Vocalists?

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe there's another Leon Thomas but I don't think this one could be considered pop unless your tastes are truly eclectic.

I was talking about this Leon Thomas

The one you linked is not what I consider a jazz singer.

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Vocalists?

Quote:

Quote:

Pharoah Saunders and Count Basie did but what did they know?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

I eliminated most of the quote tree. It was beginning to take to much page space

You wote:
Quote:

I wrote:
Quote:

You wrote:

Quote:
Pharoah Saunders and Count Basie did but what did they know?

I thought the band sound was jazz. Leon's voice just didn't do it for me as far as jazz singers go.

Not looking to debate, offering an opinion. IMO Pharoah is jazz, Basie is big band.

Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject:

I always bought into the Kenny G is lame meme because I never knew just what the hell he was all about. When it comes to music you can do much, much worse than Kenny G.

btw anyone ever get lucky enough to walk through new orleans when Doreen Ketchens was playing?

panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject:

Teamof2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

He has hurt jazz tremendously, though I can dig some smooth jazz (only when it's in live as opposed to studio recording form).

love this clip of pat metheny talking about kenny g.

Pat Metheny is a great guitarist. But what an absolute dweeb. It's snobbery like this, and not Kenny Gs inability to emulate John Coltrane, that gives jazz a bad rap.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject:

I don't think those railing on Kenny G, saying he's not playing jazz, take into consideration the many entries of the genre. e.g. Modern Jazz, Cool Jazz, Smooth Jazz, Free improvisation etc. Jazz isn't all Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker and like. Allow Kenny in his form. I like him. I enjoy many facets of jazz. Kenny G, Boney James, Gorge Benson, David Sanborn, Miles, Clifford, Dizzy, etc.

panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

Yeah, Kenny G is who he is. Not that I'm a huge fan, but his music is sufficiently accessible to the average music buyer, and his records sell. I don't get the constant belittlement of artists like him. Like you said, he resides in one of many subsets of the genre. I don't recall him or anyone else ever claiming him to be some defining jazz master. But like I said lots of people like his sound, and he's managed to make a very successful career based on its own merit. Nothing wrong with that.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Love jazz, it's changing alot now because so many of the people who were the foundation have died.

For sax, anyone ever heard Phil Woods play Alto? He was a great player but died fairly recently. Worth seeking out.

https://youtu.be/rYgm1gof9X4

If you like the older school sounds from someone like Duke Ellington, try Marshall Royal, who plays a very lush style.

https://youtu.be/xVdxin6dh2M

For stand up bass, I love Bob Magnusson, who for some reason flew under the radar for many jazz fans, but the players know him well.

https://youtu.be/AOjRFFWnz_Y

And then you get to piano, still nobody I love more than Bill Evans. He was so ahead of his time that guys are still trying unsuccessfully to copy him.

https://youtu.be/1ESLJebaWyU

https://youtu.be/pcKiE6F5AeM
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: