Random Texts and Phone calls from all around the U.S.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Random Texts and Phone calls from all around the U.S.

Uggghhhh I'm damn cautious about putting my number down on anything that can get me on a list but it looks like I'm stuck in one now. I get like 2-3 calls and about 5 texts a day now. Blocking everything and replying NO doesn't work to stop it.

If it was just one number then no biggy. But multiple numbers each day!!??? ARRGHHHH

I'm already registered on the national do not call line.

What else can I friggin do!?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Random Texts and Phone calls from all around the U.S.

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
Uggghhhh I'm damn cautious about putting my number down on anything that can get me on a list but it looks like I'm stuck in one now. I get like 2-3 calls and about 5 texts a day now. Blocking everything and replying NO doesn't work to stop it.

If it was just one number then no biggy. But multiple numbers each day!!??? ARRGHHHH

It's annoying. I'm on the no call list also. I block when the option is available. I don't respond with NO. That lets them know it's a live number. I'm in the "if you don't answer maybe they'll go away" mode. I let my phone go to voicemail. If they don't leave a message it wasn't important.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Download the True Caller App. Users add new spam numbers daily,so it stays pretty up to date. Screens both calls & text.

TrueCaller
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject:

I haven't answered landline in over two years...just turned off the ringer and use it for outgoing calls.

Last week I had 43 calls over 2 days...a new high. They will let it ring for 3 minutes at a time and call back three times in a row. The phone needs to be charged every 3 days even though I don't use it
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Have fun with it, act dumb and talk to them until they hang up on you. When my daughter was young I would just hand the phone to her. It can be very entertaining.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Random Texts and Phone calls from all around the U.S.

ChickenBeckerman wrote:

You can start with not replying "NO". That simply signals the scammers that your number is an active number that elicits a response. Ignore all randoms texts. Block all incoming calls that are robocalls. And definitely do not to reply to any, especially those that ask you text a reply to "opt out" because it has the opposite effect.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Random Texts and Phone calls from all around the U.S.

ChickenBeckerman wrote:

Pretty much nothing. These guys are one step ahead of you or the government do not call list.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Random Texts and Phone calls from all around the U.S.

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:

You can start with not replying "NO". That simply signals the scammers that your number is an active number that elicits a response. Ignore all randoms texts. Block all incoming calls that are robocalls. And definitely do not to reply to any, especially those that ask you text a reply to "opt out" because it has the opposite effect.

For months I didn't bother replying. Or picking up the phone simply for that obvious reason.

Only after the texts increased on their own from once every week or so to 5 texts a day did I decide skrewit let me try texting opt out crap because ignoring it or registering on the Do Not Call list doesn't work either.

Still the same amount of texts either way.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Download the True Caller App. Users add new spam numbers daily,so it stays pretty up to date. Screens both calls & text.

TrueCaller

Best answer on here.

Also the 'do not call registry' suggests RoboKiller app which does the same. Will give it a shot.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject:

A while back I uploaded my resume on a few job sites and made a few of the profiles "public". Oh boy.... my phone and email BLEW UP soon after. Big mistake.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject:

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

TrueCaller

Best answer on here.

Also the 'do not call registry' suggests RoboKiller app which does the same. Will give it a shot.

Any experience with false positives? Looking for a new job right now so don’t want to unintentionally screen out potential employees.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

On the subject, anyone else get the occasional spam voicemail that is a woman jabbering on in what I am guessing is Chinese and sounds like she's leaving the message via a really bad radio from the 1940s?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

I've gotten that one as well...I believe its some lady speaking in Mandarin.
I also used to get one from some Indian tech support dude saying they were calling from Microsoft Tech Support.
Theres also the infamous ones where they threaten you collections from the FBI if you don't respond.
I also notice a lot of them are from numbers that look like they are outside of the US or spoofed so theres pretty much nothing the do not call list would be able to stop.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

TrueCaller

Best answer on here.

Any experience with false positives? Looking for a new job right now so don’t want to unintentionally screen out potential employees.

I've never experienced a false positive, but the app keeps a log of blocked calls that you can peruse. Also, in the "Identification"section of the app, you can turn on and off whether of not callers display. Just turn that on and you'll see calls as they come trough.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
On the subject, anyone else get the occasional spam voicemail that is a woman jabbering on in what I am guessing is Chinese and sounds like she's leaving the message via a really bad radio from the 1940s?

I get them constantly. Always LA area codes too.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

TrueCaller

Best answer on here.

I've never experienced a false positive, but the app keeps a log of blocked calls that you can peruse. Also, in the "Identification"section of the app, you can turn on and off whether of not callers display. Just turn that on and you'll see calls as they come trough.

Thanks. I’ll check it out.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject:

I always tell everyone that "I live in my friend's garage" and they usually just go away.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject:

I get lots of solar telemarketing calls and ones telling me I've won some fake prize. I don't know why the government doesn't do anything to stop these. They shouldn't be that hard to trace.

I used to just give out the address to a BDSM sex shop to the solar telemarketers. One time, some girl from an air conditioning company called and I proceeded to waste over an hour of her time asking stupid questions. By the end, I felt bad because she had been so nice and I was too afraid to reply to her reminder text on the day I had scheduled the appointment. I guess she wound up sending a repairman to the fake address.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

There's nothing you can do until they outlaw number spoofing. You can block numbers but it's an endless cat and mouse game because they'll just spoof a new number that isn't blocked.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

It’s the same tax spiel scam that is a common robocall these days, just in mandarin instead of English. Theyre trying to hit all the language bases I guess.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
There's nothing you can do until they outlaw number spoofing. You can block numbers but it's an endless cat and mouse game because they'll just spoof a new number that isn't blocked.

Always fun when they spoof your number. I’ve gotten a couple of angry calls over the years from people asking me why I keep calling them and I have to explain that it isn’t me.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

It’s the same tax spiel scam that is a common robocall these days, just in mandarin instead of English. Theyre trying to hit all the language bases I guess.

You mean the old, "This is the IRS. You are criminally delinquent on your taxes, wire us $10,000 dollars immediately ore you will be subject to immediate arrest" nonsense?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:

Always fun when they spoof your number. I’ve gotten a couple of angry calls over the years from people asking me why I keep calling them and I have to explain that it isn’t me.

I returned one of the spoofed numbers, didn't know it was a spoof. The guy answered said he didn't call me. I told him the number was in my missed call box. He said he didn't call me. I got out of character and went postal. I kinda believe him now. How do spoof numbers work?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject:

I have probably 10 scam calls a day. I just dont answer my phone, unless its a contact or I'm expecting from someone. There's voicemail, if they are actually important.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I have probably 10 scam calls a day. I just dont answer my phone, unless its a contact or I'm expecting from someone. There's voicemail, if they are actually important.

...same for me
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: