View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
UCLA is just plain awful this year.

down by only 7 in the 4th to the #10 team in the country?

I did see a tweet by an ESPN guy earlier that said the stadium was not even half full....and that is just not good. You have a new coach, and the #10 team in the nation at your house.....fans need to show up.

They were a no show in the first half....Washington was basically cruising the rest of the game. I'm not surprised by the lack of crowd support, it doesn't matter if its a top 10 team, they pretty much saw what kind of team they have the first 4 games of the year and its not pretty.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
And yes they beat Syracuse, who is 4-0 against teams other than Clemson. Why dismiss that 4-0 record?

Quote:
September 29, 2018

UCF - 45
Pitt - 14

Clemson - 27
Syracuse - 23

October 6, 2018

Syracuse - 37
Pitt - 44

It is a week later, but the data above illustrates why I dismissed Syracuse.....Pitt is not a good football team. Btw, UCF extended their winning streak to 18 games and should find themselves in the AP Top 10 tomorrow morning.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
UCLA is just plain awful this year.

down by only 7 in the 4th to the #10 team in the country?

I did see a tweet by an ESPN guy earlier that said the stadium was not even half full....and that is just not good. You have a new coach, and the #10 team in the nation at your house.....fans need to show up.

They were a no show in the first half....Washington was basically cruising the rest of the game. I'm not surprised by the lack of crowd support, it doesn't matter if its a top 10 team, they pretty much saw what kind of team they have the first 4 games of the year and its not pretty.

I did not watch much of either game....but the box scores suggest UCLA and Nebraska showed more fight/life this weekend.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Lanny's San Diego State Aztec's went to Boise State to play on the Smurf Turf today as 13.5 point underdogs.....and came away with the 19-13 win!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Impressive. Looks like they will need to build that stadium for the Aztecs if they are going to be more prominent in the national college football scene.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
just a reminder, if you have never seen Virginia Tech walk out before a big night game in Blacksburg....check it out tonight @ 8PM ET on ABC against Notre Dame if you have a few minutes. The TV broadcast usually shows the Va. Tech walkout because it so good. Va. Tech was one of WVU's main rivalries for decades....so not much of a fan, but have to give credit where it is due, and I think their nighttime walkout is the best in the nation.

Yes its a great atmosphere they even got Metallica to provide a video message... what made it even better is that ND ruined the whole thing afterwards....
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject:

Big win for Utah over Stanford. Fun game to watch.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I had forgot to check score until you mentioned....I fell asleep in the 3rd when I thought Stanford was coming back. I was confident that Utah was better than their record from the couple times I watched them.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

Week 7 Polls

Associated Press

Coaches Poll

ESPN Power Rankings
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject:

going into Week 7.....games begin to really matter across the board, and upsets are almost certain.....the best match ups on paper this week include....

#2 Georgia @ #13 LSU @ 3:30 PM ET - LSU will be trying to bounce back.
#7 Washington @ #17 Oregon @ 3:30 PM ET - PAC 12 North implications
#6 West Virginia @ Iowa State @ 7:00 PM ET - Iowa State is better than their record.
#15 Wisconsin @ #12 Michigan @ 7:30 PM ET - Both still in the Big10 hunt.
#19 Colorado @ USC @ 10:30 PM ET - Colorado is undefeated, but USC is more talented.

other games of interest.....

Texas Tech @ TCU (Thursday) @ 7:30 PM ET - The winner is seaking to remain in the top half of the Big 12, while the loser will struggle to become bowl eligible.
#23 USF @ Tulsa (Friday) @ 7:00 PM ET - USF is likely not as good as their 5-0 record, and Tulsa is definitely not as bad as their 1-4 record.
Tennessee @ #23 Auburn @ 12:00 PM ET - Tennessee has showed some life recently, and Auburn has struggled.
Iowa @ Indiana @ 12:00 PM ET - Indiana plays tough @ home.
Nebraska @ Northwestern @ 12:00 PM ET - One of the last chances for Nebraska to get a FBS win, and Northwestern could slip coming off big win over Michigan State.
Arizona @ Utah (Friday) @ 10:00 PM ET - PAC 12 South implications
#10 UCF @ Memphis @ 3:30 PM ET - Preseason favorites in AAC
Pittsburgh @ #5 Notre Dame @ 3:30 PM ET - Pitt has shown some slight improvement....could Notre Dame get caught off guard?
Michigan State @ #8 Penn State @ 3:30 PM ET - Michigan State has went to Happy Valley and pulled off big upsets in previous years.
#16 Miami @ Virginia @ 7:00 PM ET - Virginia is solid this year, and Miami may not be as good as projected.
UCLA @ Cal @ 7:00 PM ET - UCLA coming off strong showing against Washington, while Cal looked bad against Arizona.
Hawaii @ BYU @ 10:15 PM ET - Hawaii is having a great year....BYU has a large campus in Hawaii, and Hawaii has a large Morman population....equals mild rivalry?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

There's just something about Stanford. I don't know if it's the head coach, or the offensive coordinator, or what, but I get the feeling that they are underachieving on offense. I've had that feeling every time I've seen them over the past five years or so.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

This is a really bad time for Georgia to be visiting Baton Rouge. (In my opinion, there is never a good time to visit Baton Rouge, but that has nothing to do with football.)
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

This is a really bad time for Georgia to be visiting Baton Rouge. (In my opinion, there is never a good time to visit Baton Rouge, but that has nothing to do with football.)

At least it is not a nighttime game......Death Valley becomes a much tougher place to play when the sun goes down. We (WVU) took a really solid team there in 2011...LSU was #2 in the country and had Spencer Ware, Odell Beckham Jr., Alfred Blue, Honey Badger.....but we were ranked in the Top 20 and had some talent....Geno Smith, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, Bruce Irvin and Keith Tandy. LSU was on this crazy long home night game winning streak, and all we heard was about how crazy things happen there at night to opposing teams....especially late in games.

We went toe to toe with them and were down 27-21 with 1 minute remaining in the 3rd Quarter.....Geno had over 460 Yards Passing...Tavon had almost 200 yards receiving, Stedman had over 100 yards himself. From that 1 minute mark left in the 3rd....the wheels totally fell off. They ran a kickoff back for 99 yards....Geno was intercepted multiple times, lost a couple fumbles, etc....it was suddenly like we could not do anything. We lost 47-21. On the night, we had nearly 550 Yards of offense to their 350.

It made me a believer that there is something about playing in Baton Rouge at night.....and it felt like we were playing against more than the Bayou Bengals on the field.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject:

I didn’t realize the extent of the shenanigans that have crept into the transfer system. It doesn’t surprise me in the least, but I hadn’t heard of it or thought about it. I guess we have a secondary recruiting market now.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24958550/nebraska-scott-frost-thinks-oregon-state-tampered

Quote:
This isn't the first time Oregon State has been accused of tampering. In May, Hawaii football coach Nick Rolovich called out Oregon State on social media for sending recruiting materials to his current players. Oregon State said the mailings were unintentional and that it was committed to following NCAA rules. Three Oregon State assistants had worked at Hawaii in recent years.

Sure. OSU “unintentionally” mailed football recruiting materials to guys who are enrolled at another school. In Hawaii. I bet that happens all the time. But the NCAA is changing the rules:

Quote:
Changes to the transfer system that go into effect on Monday will invalidate instructions like those issued last week by Nebraska. The new rule, a step aimed to bring reform to transfer process, allows a student-athlete to notify his or her school of a desired transfer.

The school then is allowed two days to place the student-athlete into a database of transfers. Restrictions on permission-to-contact for transferring players will no longer exist.

In the case of Bell, he could again notify Nebraska of his intention to transfer next week and would not be subject to any restrictions.

Another rule change that goes into effect this year will increase the potential penalty for tampering.

On the one hand, I support the freedom of kids to play wherever they want. After all, schools have no scruples about booting kids they don’t want. But this sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject:

that TCU win continues to look less impressive by the week for Ohio State.

TCU put up 511 yards of offense and 28 points against Ohio State....and 411 yards and 14 points against a less than average Texas Tech defense.

If TCU continues to show to be a below average team, then Ohio State has beaten Oregon State (1-5), Rutgers (1-5), Tulane (2-4), Penn State (4-1) and Indiana (4-2). Ok, so they have beat 2 teams with a winning records, but they are very good teams, right? Penn State needed overtime to beat App State @ Home, Pitt (3-3), Kent State (1-5), and Illinois (3-2, only P5 win over Rutgers). Indiana has beat FIU, Virginia, Ball State and Rutgers.

The point is we are saying Ohio State is an elite team, destined for the playoffs based mostly off their 1 point win against Penn State @ this point....but what leads us to believe Penn State is a good team? Penn States best win to date was against Illinois who likely will not even be bowl eligible.

By no means is Ohio State the only team that the narrative is they are elite, but have a very thin resume. The great Alabama has one semi-decent win (TA&M)? Clemson's only semi-decent win appears to also be TA&M. Georgia's best win....South Carolina? Texas has better wins than all of those teams in my opinion. If they win out, fine....but we know that a 1 loss Ohio State team is getting in over a 1 loss NC State or 1 loss WVU. A 1 loss Alabama is getting in over a 1 loss Florida or 1 loss Wisconsin. Mostly from narratives that began before a single game was played.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
And yes they beat Syracuse, who is 4-0 against teams other than Clemson. Why dismiss that 4-0 record?

Quote:
September 29, 2018

UCF - 45
Pitt - 14

Clemson - 27
Syracuse - 23

October 6, 2018

Syracuse - 37
Pitt - 44

It is a week later, but the data above illustrates why I dismissed Syracuse.....Pitt is not a good football team. Btw, UCF extended their winning streak to 18 games and should find themselves in the AP Top 10 tomorrow morning.

My point was you dismissed them before that game. I don’t think a win over Pitt would have impressed you.

I don’t think those scores mean much. Clemson will have some close games, letdowns, and maybe even a loss or two because that’s what happens when you play in a major conference. The fact that Clemson had a close game and pulled it out is a point in their favor. Winning the close ones is something that champions do.

UCF faces too many cupcakes that aren’t good enough to give them
a serious challenge so it’s hard to tell how good they really are. How well do they handle adversity?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject:

#23 USF is definitely the cardiac kids of 2018! They go into the 4th Quarter down 24-10 @ Tulsa, and win on a Field Goal as time expires 25-24. USF is 6-0, and in almost every game this season I have watched them they have been behind going into the 4th Quarter.

Scores after 3 Quarters.....

Game 1 - USF - 31 Elon - 7
Game 2 - USF - 28 Georgia Tech - 31
Game 3 - USF - 7 Illinois - 19
Game 4 - USF - 13 ECU - 13
Game 5 - USF - 48 UMass - 28
Game 6 - USF - 10 Tulsa - 24

UCF needs USF to continue to remain unbeaten.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Lanny's San Diego State Aztec's went to Boise State to play on the Smurf Turf today as 13.5 point underdogs.....and came away with the 19-13 win!

I don't know how Rocky Long is able to walk around with such huge balls.
chickenjoy24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject:

USC vs #19 Colorado this afternoon.

USC deserves to be unranked, but they're still -7.0 favorites against #19.

It's really embarrassing with what Clay Helton put out on the field this year. I know it's a true freshman QB but the team is soft. Soft practices and a soft head coach.

It starts in the trenches and both D-line and O-line have been pitiful. Callaway needs to be fired. Tee Martin should be fired as well. Did Clay Helton take over calling the offense?

With the talent USC gets every year, they should have dominated the likes of WSU and Arizona.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject:

Utah beats up on Arizona, they could make some noise in the Pac 10.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

not sure....but it feels like one of those freaky Saturdays....Tennessee smacking #21 Auburn around, Pitt up early on #5 ND, #3 Ohio State struggling to put Minnesota away, Nebraska closing in on a win @ Northwestern, Boston College struggling with Louisville.....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject:

Nebraska with the total meltdown...up by 10 with less than 3 minutes left in game......Northwestern comes back to tie @ 31 with 12 seconds left.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Are you kidding me? Northwestern came back and won?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject:

chickenjoy24 wrote:
USC vs #19 Colorado this afternoon.

USC deserves to be unranked, but they're still -7.0 favorites against #19.

It's really embarrassing with what Clay Helton put out on the field this year. I know it's a true freshman QB but the team is soft. Soft practices and a soft head coach.

It starts in the trenches and both D-line and O-line have been pitiful. Callaway needs to be fired. Tee Martin should be fired as well. Did Clay Helton take over calling the offense?

With the talent USC gets every year, they should have dominated the likes of WSU and Arizona.

USC players are overhyped every year.

They really haven't had the beasts in the trenches (Sean Cody, Mike Patterson, Frosty Rucker, etc) since the Pete Carroll era.

QBs and WRs are great, but USC needs studs on the offensive and defensive lines like Alabama or Clemson if they want to truly be back. They got pushed around by Texas for crissakes.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject:

I hope no one is seriously promoting Notre Dame for a playoff spot, that would be a joke.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 12 of 40
Jump to: