RIP John Gagliardi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: RIP John Gagliardi

Probably not a lot of LGers were familiar with longtime St. John's (Minn.) football coach John Gagliardi, but the world truly lost an all-timer this morning when he died at the age of 91.

John is the all-time winningest college football coach in history with 489 victories, a record that will surely never be broken (he won games in EIGHT different decades, starting in 1949, ending in 2012).

I attended SJU. I didn't play football but avidly followed the team and in the past few years was fortunate enough to meet with John on a few occasions. Beyond the victories, he was just an incredible person and coach. A few highlights:

*He was most famous for his unique methods. If you knew anything about him you've probably heard of these but for the unfamiliar: No tackling in practice; no whistles in practice; no playbooks; no tackling dummies or blocking sleds; no calisthenics; no running laps or wind sprints. He didn't want people calling him coach, just John, thinking it was odd for anyone but a doctor to be called by their occupation. It was called "Winning with no," and became his system, which started back in the days when coaches were dictators. Think Junction Boys. Or think of it this way: In 35 years, if football is even still being played, you can almost guarantee that every practice at every level will look like a John Gagliardi practice from 1950. Imagine being 100 years ahead of your time. That was John.

But beyond that, he was just a great guy. He was the greatest storyteller I ever saw, "some of them were even true," as he'd say. And the coolest part about him is that if you ever met him, he never wanted to talk about himself. He was much more interested in you, in your stories.

He started coaching at the age of 16 when he took over his high school team when his coach went off to WW2. He was never an assistant coach, never had to serve under anyone else. He taught himself everything he knew, which was different than anyone else on the sideline.

John lived a full, great life. Almost 92 years worth, as his birthday is in November. But it still is a punch to the gut knowing he's died. Here's a few links for those who are unfamiliar with him, and for those who already knew about him:

Star Tribune column on his passing:
http://strib.mn/2NtTJct

1992 SI story on him:
https://on.si.com/2y8Jshg

A video from few years back where you see his standup routine, and some of his stories, on display:
https://bit.ly/2C1COMk
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject:

^^^^I only knew the name, but nothing really about him. I have noticed that people have come from across the landscape to mention his direct and indirect influence on their lives and careers. They say a persons life had meaning if even one person can attest to them having a positive impact on their life......appears he has several hundred at least. Pretty amazing.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

I went to a different school in the MIAC but Gagliardi was legendary. RIP
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
I went to a different school in the MIAC but Gagliardi was legendary. RIP

Nice! (at least) Two MIACers on the board; who'd have thunk it?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: