Exclusive: Inside the Corrosive Workplace Culture of the Dallas Mavericks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
If you forced Sterling to sell, then you have to force Cuban to sell.

Sterling just said words to his side piece, Cuban protected people abusing women for years.

Pleading ignorance isn't an excuse.

ET will do nothing of course, but the good news is this ridiculous clown can forget his presidential aspirations.

ET that's an apt description
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
If you forced Sterling to sell, then you have to force Cuban to sell.

Sterling just said words to his side piece, Cuban protected people abusing women for years.

Pleading ignorance isn't an excuse.

ET will do nothing of course, but the good news is this ridiculous clown can forget his presidential aspirations.

ET that's an apt description

It's Dobby actually
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject:

^The resemblance to Silver is uncanny

Silver isn't as bad as Stern, but that is like saying Syphilis isn't as bad as Aids.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Silver isn't as bad as Stern, but that is like saying Syphilis isn't as bad as Aids.

it really does.

Here is the thing....Stern is an easy guy to dislike, but the truth is the current NBA was built on his watch for the most part.....and the league became very successful under Stern.

I cannot stand Silver.....always seems like he is trying to hard to leave his mark or create a legacy outside of the shadow of Stern. Those things come from long term success....not silly rule changes to the All Star game.
RoyalPurple8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
RoyalPurple8 wrote:
This is a cultural thing. You really cant be too mad at anybody here. .

At one time, discriminating against blacks was "a cultural thing." Lots of unsavory behavior was. It changed because people did get mad.

And it has taken decades to move past this. And still isnt resolved. So really this is just provong my point, that an actual change wont really happen for perhaps 20 years or so.

Also, if we are going to talk about discriminating against blacks, that will never stop as long as the rich and controllers are majority white men. I figure we got another 20 years before that even changes.

Also in the future, as more women attain higher social status and power there will be more sexual harassment where the women is the accused. The only reason men are the brunt of the accused is because they are in more places of power. Is this wrong or right is up for debate.

Men rarely file a complaint against women because of "pride" and admitting that a women psychologically abused you is embarrassing.

It starts in the home, since from the age of 3 men are taught to be the dominator in their relationships (which I do not think is 100% wrong). But then its deeper then that, parents need to be there for their kids and raise them as couples (it helps). But in this society people are sleeping with people they just met on the internet.

We would like to believe we are all created equal, but this is the biggest farce ever bestowed on us. If that was the case poor kids would have the same benefits as rich kids. There would be more white people playing sports, etc, etc....
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/03/20/former-mavericks-marketing-manager-mark-cuban-oversaw-business-side-still-doesnt-get-it/

Quote:
Former Mavericks marketing manager: Mark Cuban oversaw business side, still doesn’t get it

Sports Illustrated detailed a predatory environment – including sexual harassment and domestic violence – in the Mavericks’ business office.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban denied much interaction with the business side, expressed outrage this occurred and vowed to fix the problems.

Melissa Weishaupt, whom Sports Illustrated cited anonymously in its initial article, says Cuban hasn’t responded appropriately.

Weishaupt in Sports Illustrated:

I’m using my name because I’m still not sure the Mavericks get it. Since the story broke, owner Mark Cuban has repeatedly claimed he oversaw only the basketball side of that franchise, not the business side.

Sorry. It doesn’t work that way. You own 100% of the team, Mark. The buck stops with you. When I worked on the Mavs’ business side, all marketing, promotional and broadcasting decisions went through you. Nothing was decided without your approval.

I am using my name because I am convinced that Cuban still doesn’t recognize the culture he’s helped create or the plight of the women who still work for him. From where I sit, Mark’s response was to rush in like some white knight in a T-shirt and jeans and yell, Don’t worry, ladies of the Mavs, I will help you with paid counseling and a hotline you can call!

Now you want to help? We are not fragile flowers. We don’t long for counseling. (As for that hotline: I’ve spoken with a dozen current and former team employees; we have no idea what this is or how to find it.) We want equitable pay. We need to be treated with respect. When deserved, we ought to be given the same promotions as our male counterparts.

This problematic culture exists throughout the world. It would hardly be a shock if it still exists within the Mavericks, even after a spotlight was shined on them. In fact, there are indications it does.

If Cuban is sincere in his desire to provide better conditions for the women working for him, he should listen to people like Weishaupt. He can defend himself if he disagrees with her claims, but he also shouldn’t act as if he automatically knows all the solutions to these problems.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject:

RoyalPurple8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
RoyalPurple8 wrote:
This is a cultural thing. You really cant be too mad at anybody here. .

At one time, discriminating against blacks was "a cultural thing." Lots of unsavory behavior was. It changed because people did get mad.

And it has taken decades to move past this. And still isnt resolved. So really this is just provong my point, that an actual change wont really happen for perhaps 20 years or so.

Change doesn't come in one fell swoop. It doesn't happen magically while people sit back and wait for it happen. It happens because of tiny, unnoticed things that people do and say every day. You may not notice the change for 20 years, but that doesn't mean it's not happening and people aren't going things to make it happen. So I disagree with you completely.

Last edited by activeverb on Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject:

so he's not getting forced to sell the team?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

it really does.

Here is the thing....Stern is an easy guy to dislike, but the truth is the current NBA was built on his watch for the most part.....and the league became very successful under Stern.

I cannot stand Silver.....always seems like he is trying to hard to leave his mark or create a legacy outside of the shadow of Stern. Those things come from long term success....not silly rule changes to the All Star game.

I always thought he looked like Nosferatu.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/10/08/report-mavericks-fire-team-photographer-accused-of-sexual-harassment/

Quote:
Report: Mavericks fire team photographer accused of sexual harassment

Despite not being named in the Mavericks’ “thorough as humanly possible” investigative report into sexual misconduct in the workplace, team photographer Danny Bollinger was accused by multiple women of sexual harassment.

Brad Townsend of The Dallas Morning News:

Multiple Mavericks sources said the franchise fired longtime team photographer Danny Bollinger on Friday, less than 24 hours after The News published a story online detailing sexual harassment allegations made against him by five women.

Sources said the Mavericks opened an investigation into Bollinger about two weeks ago, days after the Sept. 19 release of 43-page report on a seven-month investigation into sexual harassment within the Mavericks’ business offices.

Maybe the Mavericks really did begin investigating him two weeks ago and that investigation naturally concluded Friday.

But it’s impossible to ignore the timing of The Dallas Morning News report. Bollinger was with the team on his trip to China and sent home about the same time the newspaper published its report. The Mavericks’ hadn’t found anything they deemed worthy of placing him on leave, let alone firing him, until that point.

This should intensify questions about whether the Mavericks are truly committed to fixing these problems or just doing enough to hold off public backlash. Harassed Mavericks employees shouldn’t feel as if they must share their concerns publicly to pressure the organization into handling these issues. The Mavericks should be proactive about giving their employees a safe work environment in the first place.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: