View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Here’s where I saw it (3:22 mark):

Thank you

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/ufc/1028059/Conor-McGregor-first-punch-Khabib-Nurmagomedov-brawl-UFC-229/amp

They have the full sequence here
I thought people were saying that caused Khabib to attack Connors jujitsu coach.
Sequence shows Khabib jumping the fence to attack before Connor throws punches at Khabibs brother

So I change predictions

Pathetic that Khabib did that. If I was Connor I would have done something to his brother too if I knew he was getting ready to help Khabib. *hopefully I would've just pulled him back off the fence. IRL Connor did what most everyone would've done. If someone is jumping and LG Homie and another person is going jump in also..id Stop the 2nd person any way possible since security had me blocked from stopping the first guy

Khabib jumped the fence first UNprovoked starting the whole thing. *did some physical altercation happen outside octa that caused Khabib to jump?

Yes I would suspended Khabib much much much longer than Connor
AND he better have submitted to a drug test before leaving the building last night
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Like someone else said i dont feel bad for Connor but this is still martial arts, and you need to show some respect in the octagon. I would DQ Khabib and strip him of his belts. Suspend him for a year.

That ship already sail with all the things Conor did and Dana allowed it.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Like someone else said i dont feel bad for Connor but this is still martial arts, and you need to show some respect in the octagon. I would DQ Khabib and strip him of his belts. Suspend him for a year.

While both stunts were clearly idiotic, the two events were different and have very different consequences. What Conor did was basically assault. Khabib jumped out of the ring and attacked someone at a sanctioned event.
Dana is not Khabib's real problem. Conor's biggest problem after his stupidity was the police and NY courts. The commission is Khabib's big hurdle. Dana won't do much more than a slap on the wrist unless KHabib is suspended for a lengthy time. If that happens, he will be stripped and Tony will fight someone for the strap.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject:

Khabib is still at fault for starting the melee. It was a terrible, despicable, dangerous, classless and completely unwise decision and he’s going to live to regret that lack of restraint regardless of his motivation or how justified he thought the decision was in the heat of the moment. As he definitely should.

The point of contention now is, the Nevada State Athletic Commission withholding Khabib’s purse but paying Conor (according to Dana) “after interviewing” McGregor which assumes no there was no wrong doing on the Irishman’s part. Or, at least, that was the implication. Not only did the commission’s decision serve to frame Conor being a victim of thuggery, but the UFC was willing to allow it. And now the tape is out. And it proves that, not only did the commission fail to conduct an honest and fair investigation, they, at the very least, handled this all with a double standard. And that brings into question intent.

There is lying by telling an untruth and there is lying by omission. The commission and the UFC are guilty of the latter.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject:

One left the cage and the other did not. Different issues altogether in my opinion. That is a boundary that the commission dare not allow anyone to step over. Scuffles inside the cage are a relatively minor issue comparatively and are mostly overlooked if nobody is hurt.. Taking it outside the cage at a sanctioned event is a big deal. Conor walked up to that line, but didn't go across. Khabib did. I don't understand how people cannot see this.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Mixed martial arts (MMA) writer John Morgan, who was present at Saturday's fight and was inches from the brawl, said the UFC needed to look at how the build-up to the fight had strayed into religious and ethnic insults and may have crossed a line.

"I think there is a lesson for everybody to be learned that some of these things you say; it's not just about fight promotion, it runs deeper than that," he told Al Jazeera in an interview from Las Vegas, Nevada.

"We start getting into religion, beliefs, culture and races and things along that line," he added. "You have to be very, very careful when you tread there because it's more than a fight at that point."

He has a point... but fighters cannot be thin skinned children
McGregor IS A JACKASS
Beat his ass - Cash your check and know that at the end of day you weren't the JACKASS

I don't like to make this connection *my best friend is from Saudi Arabia **working on her citizenship here...

"Words" (only insults if you imagine them that way) about certain religions can set off those people.. I say he lacks self confidence if he has to risk INCARCERATION to defend words.

FWIW Conors jujitsu coach could have chosen to press charges in a criminal court. A hundred million plus witnesses?
^a product of taking "your" religion a tad too serious. I want to know if any drugs in his system also. His actions that night were either partiality drug filled or partial religious insanity

Quote:

The story was trending globally on Sunday with #UFC generating close to 1.5

"UFC shouldn't really be getting self-righteous though ... you used the bad blood, the bus incident for promotion," he tweeted. "You allowed McGregor to be racist and Islamophobic and then you wonder why this happened?"

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/10/nurmagomedov-mcgregor-mass-brawl-mars-ufc-title-bout-181007171904647.html
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
One left the cage and the other did not. Different issues altogether in my opinion. That is a boundary that the commission dare not allow anyone to step over. Scuffles inside the cage are a relatively minor issue comparatively and are mostly overlooked if nobody is hurt.. Taking it outside the cage at a sanctioned event is a big deal. Conor walked up to that line, but didn't go across. Khabib did. I don't understand how people cannot see this.

The Governor of Nevada was in attendance and had to have his security race him out of the building

Big black eye on the UFC

Will we hear about any injuries to people in the audience who got injured because this jerk created a riot?

Those people pay good money to be the spectators. They really don't like it when their ticket price also includes getting run over or kicked in the face by a reckless religious zealot looking to exact revenge for words spoken

He defended his honor by doing a very dishonorable thing.

Was a hilarious instant profit plan written about the idiot wearing the red shirt

Quote:

How to rise up the UFC ranks
1.) Fail USADA test
2.) Serve two-year ban
3.) Get fight booked for co-main event against Conor’s teammate.
4.) Follow through on your promise to "slap" McGregor.
5.) Get yourself surely cut by the UFC for life.
6.) ????
7.) Profit.

Fighter who attacked Conor McGregor at UFC 229 brags about it on social media
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/10/7/17948842/ufc-229-chechen-fighter-attack-conor-mcgregor-brawl-mma-news
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Mo, I get you’re point about Conor’s true status. But, to be fair, I don’t think we’ve ever seen anyone piece up Eddie Alvarez like Conor did. Alvarez is a warrior who we’ve seen just won’t stop coming forward and landing bombs of his own until he wins or falls on his shield and Conor made him look like absolute amateur hour. So, I will say this, while Conor was overrated by some (I think people really bought into the “Mystic Mac” aura—myself included) he was simultaneously underrated by others.

Also, I do take into account the 2 year absence from the octagon, the fact that styles make fights and that he just fought a dude with a super human ground game that’s never lost a round. Furthermore, I don’t like to kick a man while he’s down. He actually did better on the ground than Barboza, RDA and Johnson. And he may have given future opponents of Khabib more to work with when game planning. Khabib was pretty drained too by round 3 and that’s why he went for the finish when he did, IMO. But I do admit that I’m getting into moral victory territory here.

Perhaps my main point is, it depends on who was doing the rating.

You make good points, I think for me the problem is Conor being somewhat one dimensional. His stand up has fluidity, accuracy and precision, but his ground game is a clear weakness. People think the stand up makes up for the lack of ground game, and it's masked against an opponent like Alvarez who wants to go toe to toe but doesn't have the same skill level, but that was never gonna cut it against Khabib. I think when you look back in history Eddie Alvarez might be the worst LW champ ever and Conor exposed that.

Anderson Silva was a wonderful striker, but people forget he was no fool on the ground either. Look at Jon Jones, maybe the most lethal striker out there, he isn't a liability on the ground either.

For me, McGregor is a great sales man and great hype machine, but his in ring quality won't ever match his mouth. I think it wouldn't matter if Conor was rusty or at his best, he was simply outmatched against Khabib.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject:

I really want to get back to discussing the actual fights/fighters/and their skills as GtR and Mo are doing. But I feel like I have to say this for those that are new to this sport (MMA) and this company (UFC):

Mixed martial arts IS about honor, respect, discipline and skill. It has been a looooooong time since the UFC reflected those values. Since the UFC sold for $4 Billion, naturally the company that bought them wants to make a return on investment. The best way they have identified to do that is by focusing on the entertainment of the fighting and less about the competition/respect aspect of it. This means that they cater to star fighters (McGregor, Ronda, Jones, GSP, etc), they ignore rankings (CM Punk fighting on the main card twice before he ever had a professional fight! Ronda being ranked after she was already retired, etc). It would not surprise me if we saw Lavar ball headlining UFC 235 at this point.

This is why even thought they speak against what Khabib did publicly, internally they are ecstatic as it’s more publicity for the company. Don’t believe a word that comes out of Dana White’s mouth. He went on tirade talking about how what Conor did was “disgusting” and questioning whether he was on drugs. Couple months later and he’s using the footage OF A CRIME to promote this fight. Guaranteed he is just giddy waiting for the opportunity to announce the rematch and use this footage to build fight hype.

In summary there is no honor anymore in the UFC and that is a symptom that comes straight from the top of the organization. That’s why I was not as angry as everyone else because honestly this has been the UFC culture for a while. As long as they are the premier MMA organization, MMA in its former meaning is dead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Mo, I get you’re point about Conor’s true status. But, to be fair, I don’t think we’ve ever seen anyone piece up Eddie Alvarez like Conor did. Alvarez is a warrior who we’ve seen just won’t stop coming forward and landing bombs of his own until he wins or falls on his shield and Conor made him look like absolute amateur hour. So, I will say this, while Conor was overrated by some (I think people really bought into the “Mystic Mac” aura—myself included) he was simultaneously underrated by others.

Also, I do take into account the 2 year absence from the octagon, the fact that styles make fights and that he just fought a dude with a super human ground game that’s never lost a round. Furthermore, I don’t like to kick a man while he’s down. He actually did better on the ground than Barboza, RDA and Johnson. And he may have given future opponents of Khabib more to work with when game planning. Khabib was pretty drained too by round 3 and that’s why he went for the finish when he did, IMO. But I do admit that I’m getting into moral victory territory here.

You make good points, I think for me the problem is Conor being somewhat one dimensional. His stand up has fluidity, accuracy and precision, but his ground game is a clear weakness. People think the stand up makes up for the lack of ground game, and it's masked against an opponent like Alvarez who wants to go toe to toe but doesn't have the same skill level, but that was never gonna cut it against Khabib. I think when you look back in history Eddie Alvarez might be the worst LW champ ever and Conor exposed that.

Anderson Silva was a wonderful striker, but people forget he was no fool on the ground either. Look at Jon Jones, maybe the most lethal striker out there, he isn't a liability on the ground either.

For me, McGregor is a great sales man and great hype machine, but his in ring quality won't ever match his mouth. I think it wouldn't matter if Conor was rusty or at his best, he was simply outmatched against Khabib.

All fair & astute points, Mo. Always appreciate the dialogue.

As far as strikers go, I actually thought Conor did well on the ground. Certainly better than Barboza or Johnson (until the tapout, that is LOL)and I think we can both agree that Khabib was much more prepared and inspired for this fight than those. And, perhaps we can qualify what we may be really discussing here: a healthy debate about disciplines. Conor is certainly not overrated as a striker. In fact, all the MMA strikers were rooting for Conor and the wrestlers/grapplers backed Khabib. This fight was ALWAYS about who could impose their style on the other. And, to be fair, Khabib has been able to do that to everyone he's faced. Can you think of an elite wrestler who'd break that streak?

So, that's where I stand.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Conor will face the commission too
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Conor will face the commission too

Thanks OLG.

Good to see them take both sides and all factors into account. Bummer that they withheld only one fighter's purse but what are you gonna do?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Moses wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

All fair & astute points, Mo. Always appreciate the dialogue.

As far as strikers go, I actually thought Conor did well on the ground. Certainly better than Barboza or Johnson (until the tapout, that is LOL)and I think we can both agree that Khabib was much more prepared and inspired for this fight than those. And, perhaps we can qualify what we may be really discussing here: a healthy debate about disciplines. Conor is certainly not overrated as a striker. In fact, all the MMA strikers were rooting for Conor and the wrestlers/grapplers backed Khabib. This fight was ALWAYS about who could impose their style on the other. And, to be fair, Khabib has been able to do that to everyone he's faced. Can you think of an elite wrestler who'd break that streak?

So, that's where I stand.

Prob the two toughest matchups for Khabib are Kevin Lee and Ferguson. Lee’s wrestling and pretty good striking could be the equalizer. And Ferguson’s cardio plus coming back from near death each fight could pose problems too
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Prob the two toughest matchups for Khabib are Kevin Lee and Ferguson. Lee’s wrestling and pretty good striking could be the equalizer. And Ferguson’s cardio plus coming back from near death each fight could pose problems too

Lee is an interesting match up because he does have good stand up and he's a load on the ground, applying very dense weight that he puts on his opponents.

Ferguson is a scrapper and survivor. Incredible will and has that unorthodox rhythm, oddly times striking and powered by world-class stamina and motor.

Would enjoy seeing either or both of them match up Khabib at some point but, let's be honest, we're probably going to get a rematch of Saturday's fight instead.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

Lee is an interesting match up because he does have good stand up and he's a load on the ground, applying very dense weight that he puts on his opponents.

Ferguson is a scrapper and survivor. Incredible will and has that unorthodox rhythm, oddly times striking and powered by world-class stamina and motor.

Would enjoy seeing either or both of them match up Khabib at some point but, let's be honest, we're probably going to get a rematch of Saturday's fight instead.

I am less certain about Lee, but he is a load at both levels. Ferguson is just plain different and impossible to plan for. He tears people up with his elbows and is unafraid of fighting off his back. Conor did a fair job of surviving the mauling, but it was a matter of time before he fatigued. I think Tony welcomes those kinds of exchanges and will actually be on offense down there. He will not tire out. I think Ferguson might have the best chance of beating Khabib.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

I am less certain about Lee, but he is a load at both levels. Ferguson is just plain different and impossible to plan for. He tears people up with his elbows and is unafraid of fighting off his back. Conor did a fair job of surviving the mauling, but it was a matter of time before he fatigued. I think Tony welcomes those kinds of exchanges and will actually be on offense down there. He will not tire out. I think Ferguson might have the best chance of beating Khabib.
GtR is right OLG, we'll prob get a rematch. Entertainment era

Last edited by 22 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Agree with you in regard to Lee, OLG. I don’t think he beats Khabib but I do think he probably gives him trouble. And for that reason alone, I would like to see the matchup.

Tony is such a difficult matchup for anyone. Dangerous from everywhere, game as they come and brings an unreal pace that he can sustain over rounds on end. Only thing that is shaky about him is that he almost always gets rocked at some point. He’s rather prone to being touched. He does always manage to scramble just long enough to regain his bearings but I don’t think that can’t last forever. I just know if/when he gets a shot, it’s going to be entertaining.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

I view the octogon as sacred ground. Khabib disrespected the UFC, the belts and mixed martia arts on the biggest stage possible. (I wouldnt ban him but I would make an example of him, as to why you have to respect the octagon.)

Everything that happened before the fight is for the police to decide.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I really want to get back to discussing the actual fights/fighters/and their skills as GtR and Mo are doing. But I feel like I have to say this for those that are new to this sport (MMA) and this company (UFC):

Mixed martial arts IS about honor, respect, discipline and skill. It has been a looooooong time since the UFC reflected those values. Since the UFC sold for $4 Billion, naturally the company that bought them wants to make a return on investment. The best way they have identified to do that is by focusing on the entertainment of the fighting and less about the competition/respect aspect of it. This means that they cater to star fighters (McGregor, Ronda, Jones, GSP, etc), they ignore rankings (CM Punk fighting on the main card twice before he ever had a professional fight! Ronda being ranked after she was already retired, etc). It would not surprise me if we saw Lavar ball headlining UFC 235 at this point.

This is why even thought they speak against what Khabib did publicly, internally they are ecstatic as it’s more publicity for the company. Don’t believe a word that comes out of Dana White’s mouth. He went on tirade talking about how what Conor did was “disgusting” and questioning whether he was on drugs. Couple months later and he’s using the footage OF A CRIME to promote this fight. Guaranteed he is just giddy waiting for the opportunity to announce the rematch and use this footage to build fight hype.

In summary there is no honor anymore in the UFC and that is a symptom that comes straight from the top of the organization. That’s why I was not as angry as everyone else because honestly this has been the UFC culture for a while. As long as they are the premier MMA organization, MMA in its former meaning is dead.

If you listened to Dana White today, it sounds like he didn't really mind the Khabib stuff too much. He basically just said that Khabib's main issue is with the commission, I doubt the UFC cares too much. They'll "suspend" him for 4-6 months which is how much time he'd likely take off anyway, and put him ready for his next fight. And Khabib will not be stripped, per Dana.

Back to what you said, after I listened to Khabib's post fight press conference, he said something interesting. He said that this fight game is about respect and honor, and you can't go around talking about people's religion and family and country. Then he said, "I told you, I was going to change the game on 6 October and I did that."

If the UFC re-examines their conduct policy after this melee and starts cracking down on racist and religious and over the line taunts, then maybe he actually will have changed the game.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
22 wrote:

If you listened to Dana White today, it sounds like he didn't really mind the Khabib stuff too much. He basically just said that Khabib's main issue is with the commission, I doubt the UFC cares too much. They'll "suspend" him for 4-6 months which is how much time he'd likely take off anyway, and put him ready for his next fight. And Khabib will not be stripped, per Dana.

Back to what you said, after I listened to Khabib's post fight press conference, he said something interesting. He said that this fight game is about respect and honor, and you can't go around talking about people's religion and family and country. Then he said, "I told you, I was going to change the game on 6 October and I did that."

If the UFC re-examines their conduct policy after this melee and starts cracking down on racist and religious and over the line taunts, then maybe he actually will have changed the game.

I can't agree with that. These are fighters. If they are too delicate to deal with taunting, they are in the wrong line of work. I would hate any kind of speech code in combat sports. Conor went dark in the lead up and Khabib actually managed to do the one thing you must do to a smack talker. He mauled him in the cage and made him tap. Pure and beautiful victory. Then he did something really stupid and maybe threw that accomplishment away. I think we all are hoping that Khabib is not punished too much, but jumping out of the cage and attacking someone is not something that the authorities can allow. We will see soon enough what the punishment is for both of them.
chickenjoy24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject:

I didn't watch any of the pre-fight antics/interviews but what did Conor say exactly about race and religion?
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject:

chickenjoy24 wrote:
I didn't watch any of the pre-fight antics/interviews but what did Conor say exactly about race and religion?

There may have been more as I didn't follow it all, but he made a remark about him not drinking alcohol due to his religion being no fun. And tried to offer some whiskey in a taunting fashion.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject:

https://www.mmafighting.com/platform/amp/2018/10/8/17953328/ufc-229-medical-suspensions-anthony-pettis-potentially-out-six-months
A complete list of UFC 229’s medical suspensions can be seen below.

Anthony Pettis: Must have nasal fracture cleared by doctor or no contest until 04/05/19

Full list at link
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject:

This Conor vs. Khabib is going wayyyyy too deep into religion for my liking. I'm talking about both sides too, Connor's Islamaphobic comments (which I haven't even heard) and twitter treating Khabib like some Muslim saviour. Why can't he be an undefeated fighter without his religion preferences being shoved down our throat at every turn?
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
This Conor vs. Khabib is going wayyyyy too deep into religion for my liking. I'm talking about both sides too, Connor's Islamaphobic comments (which I haven't even heard) and twitter treating Khabib like some Muslim saviour. Why can't he be an undefeated fighter without his religion preferences being shoved down our throat at every turn?

When was Khabib's religion ever shoved down anyone's throat before Connor decided to make it an issue. We have to get out of this morass of false equivalency.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 455, 456, 457 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 456 of 499
Jump to: