Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 456, 457, 458 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
This Conor vs. Khabib is going wayyyyy too deep into religion for my liking. I'm talking about both sides too, Connor's Islamaphobic comments (which I haven't even heard) and twitter treating Khabib like some Muslim saviour. Why can't he be an undefeated fighter without his religion preferences being shoved down our throat at every turn?

When was Khabib's religion ever shoved down anyone's throat before Connor decided to make it an issue. We have to get out of this morass of false equivalency.

What did Conor say about Islam?
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I listened to all the press conferences and interviews leading in. Someone please show me where I missed Conor saying something bad about the Islamic religion.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Moses wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Mo, I get you’re point about Conor’s true status. But, to be fair, I don’t think we’ve ever seen anyone piece up Eddie Alvarez like Conor did. Alvarez is a warrior who we’ve seen just won’t stop coming forward and landing bombs of his own until he wins or falls on his shield and Conor made him look like absolute amateur hour. So, I will say this, while Conor was overrated by some (I think people really bought into the “Mystic Mac” aura—myself included) he was simultaneously underrated by others.

Also, I do take into account the 2 year absence from the octagon, the fact that styles make fights and that he just fought a dude with a super human ground game that’s never lost a round. Furthermore, I don’t like to kick a man while he’s down. He actually did better on the ground than Barboza, RDA and Johnson. And he may have given future opponents of Khabib more to work with when game planning. Khabib was pretty drained too by round 3 and that’s why he went for the finish when he did, IMO. But I do admit that I’m getting into moral victory territory here.

Perhaps my main point is, it depends on who was doing the rating.

You make good points, I think for me the problem is Conor being somewhat one dimensional. His stand up has fluidity, accuracy and precision, but his ground game is a clear weakness. People think the stand up makes up for the lack of ground game, and it's masked against an opponent like Alvarez who wants to go toe to toe but doesn't have the same skill level, but that was never gonna cut it against Khabib. I think when you look back in history Eddie Alvarez might be the worst LW champ ever and Conor exposed that.

Anderson Silva was a wonderful striker, but people forget he was no fool on the ground either. Look at Jon Jones, maybe the most lethal striker out there, he isn't a liability on the ground either.

For me, McGregor is a great sales man and great hype machine, but his in ring quality won't ever match his mouth. I think it wouldn't matter if Conor was rusty or at his best, he was simply outmatched against Khabib.

All fair & astute points, Mo. Always appreciate the dialogue.

As far as strikers go, I actually thought Conor did well on the ground. Certainly better than Barboza or Johnson (until the tapout, that is LOL)and I think we can both agree that Khabib was much more prepared and inspired for this fight than those. And, perhaps we can qualify what we may be really discussing here: a healthy debate about disciplines. Conor is certainly not overrated as a striker. In fact, all the MMA strikers were rooting for Conor and the wrestlers/grapplers backed Khabib. This fight was ALWAYS about who could impose their style on the other. And, to be fair, Khabib has been able to do that to everyone he's faced. Can you think of an elite wrestler who'd break that streak?

So, that's where I stand.

GtR you're definitely right in that Conor isn't overrated as a striker. He didn't do as badly on the ground as I thought, but like you say the advantage was Khabib's and he imposed his will. I think Khabib showed he may be a little better than people thought standing up too, he did a reasonably good job in round 3 and Conor couldn't make him pay.

As for who could beat him, 22 suggested Ferguson, which is fair. Tony is awkward and presses forward with relentless pace. If he can keep Khabib having to move it's harder to get taken down. Still think Khabib would find a way though.

Maybe Holloway, he is a good striker, high motor guy, but he's calculated and smart with when to attack. Was a little disappointed when their fight got called off, thought it could be good, even if Khabib probably would win that too.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject:

In the first round when Khabib jumped at Connor for a possible takedown but fell to the ground sliding. I remember Connor being confused for a second and then it looked like he one an alligator was about to drag him into the swamp lol O.O

And I was thinking about Khabibs striking ... His ability on the floor let's him throw punches with so much ferocity because if he falls down you aren't going to want to go down there with him ..sounds lame but he really dominates via his PURE killer instinct. He wants to finish you every chance he can.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Yeah, I listened to all the press conferences and interviews leading in. Someone please show me where I missed Conor saying something bad about the Islamic religion.

I think it was this alcohol incident: https://twitter.com/conormcgregor5/status/1043048688254373888?lang=en

Quote:
"Why don't you drink? You must be some buzz at parties you mad backwards (bleep)"

Last edited by dont_be_a_wuss on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Did yall see Conor told Khabib "it's just business" at the end of the 2nd round?

And DC vs Derrick Lewis official for UFC 230 in a couple weeks! ENTERTAINMENT ERA LOL. Why just why.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Did yall see Conor told Khabib "it's just business" at the end of the 2nd round?

And DC vs Derrick Lewis official for UFC 230 in a couple weeks! ENTERTAINMENT ERA LOL. Why just why.

I think Khabibs silence at the press conferences disturbed Connors psyche

All that time Khabib sat back energizing his kill button to make it explode on McGregor

McGregor did win 3mil and Khabib 2 point something iirc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
22 wrote:

I think Khabibs silence at the press conferences disturbed Connors psyche

All that time Khabib sat back energizing his kill button to make it explode on McGregor

McGregor did win 3mil and Khabib 2 point something iirc

Agreed, he wanted to push his buttons SO BAD. Well he did push them, but didn't get the response he wanted lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Dustin Porier out of UFC 230 due to injury
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Significant reach advantage

Code:

Heavyweight·Main event

Daniel Cormier 21-1-0, 1NC

Derrick Lewis 21-5-0, 1NC

Tale of the tape
39            Age          33
71 in   Height   75 in
235 lbs   Weight   260 lbs
71 in   Reach   79 in

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject:

This guy lost money betting MacGregor

https://www.facebook.com/100000216678704/posts/2432738650076667/
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Yeah, I sure did. Again, I'm always more impressed with Conor in defeat than in victory. Given the eventual rematch, I do wonder what McGregor's press conference tactics will be heading in. The stuff that cemented his mental warfare exceptionalism was built on his world tour to promote his fight with Aldo (who, btw, is calling Conor out too LOL). But during that meteoric rise, he seemed to be having much more fun, was funny and creative and, in doing so, just made mince meat of the seemingly indestructible Brazillian. The bar was just set immensely high. He recaptured some of it against Alvarez but it started showing cracks against Diaz and now seems to be beginning to lose authenticity and his admission of it being "just business" somewhat validates the point. But who knows? In the end, for fighters like Khabib and Diaz, the pre-fight stuff doesn't much make a difference.

The Black Beast reminds me of a friend I had as a young boy. To protect the innocent, I'll call him Bubba Jenkins. And Bubba was a big boy, amazingly athletic for his size and hilarious af too. He could totally dominate and demolish on the football field and everyone would just shake their heads. But during practices and games, there was always something going wrong with his equipment, his stomach or eyes but, like Lewis, he was just fat ass tired and looking for a timeout.

DC is too smart. Derrick probably taps to get a breath of air.

22 wrote:
Dustin Porier out of UFC 230 due to injury

This absolutely blows. I was really looking forward to that match up. Maybe they'll set up Nate v Conor III while Khabib gets himself through whatever sanctions are levied against him? Although, that fight is so rough and tumble, I doubt it happens because, although entertaining and a money maker, it wouldn't the smartest move.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject:

^^That's right. Connor is under contract for 6 or 8 fights...iirc

Who knows what that means to a guy with hopefully 20 million still in the bank

I really liked the personal dynamics of that fight

Khabib is a phenomenal athlete who has trained his life to be a fighter
He took every moment of the fight as serious as anyone I've ever seen. *I appreciated
that from him very much, but it was diminished some because of how deeply Angry he was

Spider Silva pushed me over the edge to enjoy watching MMA..His frontal face kick knockout of Vitor Belfort was incredible but it was what he did afterwards.. He jumped to the fence in celebration and in a few seconds jumped back to make sure his opponent was ok and celebrated the fight together. Sportsmanship.
I have to include his total destruction of Forest Griffin as just a moment in UFC history that spun my brain in a great way

Cowboy Cerrone and Sacramento Kid Urijah Faber <<<these nuts helped me enjoy also..

Anyhow Grudge fights that are near level of "Hate" aren't as enjoyable
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject:

Connor got absolutely embarrassed, as expected. Khabib made him his (bleep) in the cage on Saturday night. Also, lmao at McGregor's coaches/groupies/extras talking (bleep) to Khabib then getting their asses beat too when Khabib jumped the cage. Mad respect for Khabib for taking it to those (bleep); the punk asses thought they were safe behind the cage
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

Official scorecard had it 29-27 after three rounds for all the judges. If Conor could’ve taken a 9 instead of an 8 in one of the rounds he would’ve been down 1 going in to the fourth. If he learned some stuff from the first fight he could keep it closer in the rematch.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Connor got absolutely embarrassed, as expected. Khabib made him his (bleep) in the cage on Saturday night. Also, lmao at McGregor's coaches/groupies/extras talking (bleep) to Khabib then getting their asses beat too when Khabib jumped the cage. Mad respect for Khabib for taking it to those (bleep); the punk asses thought they were safe behind the cage

I think Connor was stunted and lacking all sense of MAN when he attacked innocent people on that Bus
'^^^^^^^^^
Dana was a Coward when he didn't takedown Khabib for assaulting one of Connors teammates

^^^^^^I think Khabib is the biggest idiot out of all of them. He got trolled really bad. Couldn't get those guys out of his head and now they blew him up...

I'm sure he will grow tremendously from this event in his life though unlike so many who had the opportunity before him

Jon Jones could have how many more MILLIONS $$$$ right now?

Although... this rematch would've been his next UFC fight if all went as planned ...
If this is a year or more then he lost a ton of money poor kid.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

I'm always surprised (although I shouldn't be) that there always seems to be such staunch favoritism and taking of sides when something controversial happens.

I don't want to be self-righteous here but while Khabib won the fight, dude clearly acted like a classless thug afterward. No matter how much fans of his (or haters of Conor) want to justify or even condone his actions, he was DEAD WRONG. Hence, the action being taken against him. He broke the rules and will pay the price, as he should. It's okay to still be a fan of his (or even a hater of Conor) and acknowledge that.

Dilon Danis is a d-bag for sure. Still wrong of Khabib.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject:

New close video of the three eunuchs that attacked Connor

I'm actually very happy about line in this article
https://www.mmamania.com/platform/amp/ufc-229-results-stream-fight-card-news-highlights-conor-mcgregor-khabib-nurmagomedov-mma/2018/10/10/17962336/ufc-video-angle-shows-conor-mcgregor-throwing-down-team-khabib-during-ufc-229-brawl-mma

Lol lonnng link

Quote:

The assailants were arrested and subsequently released after Conor refused to press charges. Still, NSAC is investigating them, which means they are not out of the legal woods just yet.

After seeing BARE knuckle undefendable SUCKER PUNCHES by coward trailer trash scum

They deserve criminal charges or a day in court

I watched some WWF
Saw Andre the Giant fight hacksaw Jim Duggan at MacArthur court in Eugene when young etc

The blows those cowards threw at Connor were criminal.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

He called him a backwards (bleep) after he refused his whisky
Said his dad licks a****** in the mosque
Mocked the muslim phrase Asalam Alaikum

Not to mention all that stuff about the Chechen dictator Kadyrov.
He shouldn't ever have mentioned that stuff. That's real world stuff with ruthless people in a part of the world where words can get you killed. He could've put Khabib's father in danger by pitting him against the dictator. Don't think that they didn't hear about it, Conor is a worldwide superstar. At best it put his dad in an odd position to the point where his dad had to post a pic on his instagram account showing him being all buddy buddy with Kadyrov. If his dad didn't respond, that could've been taken as a slight against the Chechen dictator.

Khabib's dad's instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn-o10-hfKL/?hl=en&taken-by=abdulmanap.nurmagomedov

Translated:
Quote:
You witnessed McGregor’s comment on our meeting, here it is on Mount Arafat. Ramzan Akhmatovich came to learn about the problems and congratulate all Muslims. Almighty judge to him.

And then trying to get Khabib to say something bad about Putin...
"Are you disrespecting YOUR PRESIDENT PUTIN!?"

Man, that's some dangerous territory he was going into. Khabib was obviously rattled at the press conference because his tone completely changed when Conor brought that up. And then post fight, Khabib mentioned how Putin called him to congratulate so obviously it was on his mind. Conor is good at pushing buttons but that was real world stuff that could've put Khabib or his family in danger.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Didn’t know this. Thanks for clarifying
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject:

I dont like how Khabib is saying he wants to change the game and wants the (bleep) talking gone when he talked just as much (bleep) about Connor's nationality just not as well or as articulate as McGregor. Dude was getting embarrassed before the fight but man he knows how to fight.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject:

Yup Conor desperate to get in Khabib's head in this one because he knew he didn't have what it takes in the octagon. He crossed several lines like Ted pointed out.

Look how pissed Khabib is https://www.instagram.com/p/Boy2zCpn_m_/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=1gb3s7dkdiy99

Honestly I can't blame him. Yes what he did was stupid too, but if there were no reprecussions for Conor and his team from the UFC for the bus incident then the precedent was set. I remember Dana saying Artem would never fight again in the UFC, weeks later he was booked to fight the guy Dana just "fired". So if he can go back on his word and re-instate Lobov he can do the same for Khabib's guy.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject:

The thing is, one wrong deed doesn't excuse another.

- Khabib shouldn't have slapped Artem
- Conor shouldn't have thrown the trolley into the bus
- Dana White shouldn't have just let that go unpunsihed
- Conor crossed the line with the trash talking
- Dana White again did nothing to diffuse that
- Khabib shouldn't have jumped out of the cage to attack Conor's team
- Conor shouldn't have hit Khabib's brother
- Khabib's guys shouldn't have got in the cage and attacked Conor

A chain reaction of what happens when there aren't consequences to actions. Dana White could have prevented this whole thing if he'd controlled things better and taking actions to mitigate the situation.

Not excusing either fighter because they've done stupid things all along the way, but UFC can't take the moral high-ground against Khabib now when they've let everything else slide. They need to take both fighters aside and make it clear what happens if there is a next time, and establish boundaries in the promotion of fights when it comes to what is said.

You can't just dismiss it as "the fight business" when people are attacking each other verbally and physically outside of the actual fights.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
The thing is, one wrong deed doesn't excuse another.

- Khabib shouldn't have slapped Artem
- Conor shouldn't have thrown the trolley into the bus
- Dana White shouldn't have just let that go unpunsihed
- Conor crossed the line with the trash talking
- Dana White again did nothing to diffuse that
- Khabib shouldn't have jumped out of the cage to attack Conor's team
- Conor shouldn't have hit Khabib's brother
- Khabib's guys shouldn't have got in the cage and attacked Conor

A chain reaction of what happens when there aren't consequences to actions. Dana White could have prevented this whole thing if he'd controlled things better and taking actions to mitigate the situation.

Not excusing either fighter because they've done stupid things all along the way, but UFC can't take the moral high-ground against Khabib now when they've let everything else slide. They need to take both fighters aside and make it clear what happens if there is a next time, and establish boundaries in the promotion of fights when it comes to what is said.

You can't just dismiss it as "the fight business" when people are attacking each other verbally and physically outside of the actual fights.

1000000% CORRECT MO
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Not to mention all that stuff about the Chechen dictator Kadyrov.
He shouldn't ever have mentioned that stuff. That's real world stuff with ruthless people in a part of the world where words can get you killed. He could've put Khabib's father in danger by pitting him against the dictator. Don't think that they didn't hear about it, Conor is a worldwide superstar. At best it put his dad in an odd position to the point where his dad had to post a pic on his instagram account showing him being all buddy buddy with Kadyrov. If his dad didn't respond, that could've been taken as a slight against the Chechen dictator.

Khabib's dad's instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn-o10-hfKL/?hl=en&taken-by=abdulmanap.nurmagomedov

Translated:
Quote:
You witnessed McGregor’s comment on our meeting, here it is on Mount Arafat. Ramzan Akhmatovich came to learn about the problems and congratulate all Muslims. Almighty judge to him.

And then trying to get Khabib to say something bad about Putin...
"Are you disrespecting YOUR PRESIDENT PUTIN!?"

Man, that's some dangerous territory he was going into. Khabib was obviously rattled at the press conference because his tone completely changed when Conor brought that up. And then post fight, Khabib mentioned how Putin called him to congratulate so obviously it was on his mind. Conor is good at pushing buttons but that was real world stuff that could've put Khabib or his family in danger.

Thanks for responding. Just read the transcripts and rewatched tape of both press conferences.

Conor said that Khabib's dad licked the butt of a ruthless dictator for a photo op that took place in a mosque.

Not seeing how that's talking negatively about Islamic faith. He's talking ish about Khabib's dad.

Conor saying Asalam Alaikum was in response to the reporter who had said the same to Khabib prior to posing his question. Was he mocking the religion or the reporter ?

But, I think Mo summed the whole thing nicely.

Appreciate your response Ted. Disagree with the attack on Khabib's faith though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 456, 457, 458 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 457 of 499
Jump to: