Why are Lakers preseason games almost always home games?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Why are Lakers preseason games almost always home games?

activeverb wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Maybe it has been posted before but I never heard why the Lakers always get to play at home in preseason. I noticed they do have one road game at Golden State and I can't remember that happening in a long time. Don't the other teams want a chance to have a Lakers aided sellout at their arena?

Would the Lakers agree to travel beyond California and Vegas?

The Lakers have played preseason games in China and Hawaii. However, there are so many venues around So Cal that can support games there really isn't a need for them or the Clippers to travel.

That is true, but those games didn't provide other teams a chance to have a Lakers aided sellout at their arena.
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:

they played in london and barcelona in 2010.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject:

kobe_4_mvp wrote:

The very first post in this thread.

Treble Clef wrote:
Maybe it has been posted before but I never heard why the Lakers always get to play at home in preseason. I noticed they do have one road game at Golden State and I can't remember that happening in a long time. Don't the other teams want a chance to have a Lakers aided sellout at their arena?

The NBA has yet to expand to Barcelona or London
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

kobe_4_mvp wrote:

activeverb wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

The Lakers have played preseason games in China and Hawaii. However, there are so many venues around So Cal that can support games there really isn't a need for them or the Clippers to travel.

Since there appears to be some misunderstanding about my earlier post, I will rephrase everything so that there is clarity.

The initial post in this thread that I was responding to.

Treble Clef wrote:

Quote:

Don't the other teams want a chance to have a Lakers aided sellout at their arena?

Would the Lakers be willing to play in the arena of another team so they can have a chance at a Lakers aided sellout?
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are Lakers preseason games almost always home games?

Bard207 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

That is true, but those games didn't provide other teams a chance to have a Lakers aided sellout at their arena.

Yeah that's what I'm wondering. If this preseason stuff is all set up by the league and the profits are split evenly, it makes sense to just play the games wherever. But if Denver has to come here and play two games at their own cost, it seems like they would rather have a home/road split. Seems like a great setup for the Lakers if they can stay around home and rake in all of the home game proceeds.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are Lakers preseason games almost always home games?

Treble Clef wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

Yeah that's what I'm wondering. If this preseason stuff is all set up by the league and the profits are split evenly, it makes sense to just play the games wherever. But if Denver has to come here and play two games at their own cost, it seems like they would rather have a home/road split. Seems like a great setup for the Lakers if they can stay around home and rake in all of the home game proceeds.

I don't know if the league is involved much with preseason games beyond

* Specifying the beginning date and ending date of the preseason schedule

* Specifying the number of games allowed

Some teams play teams from overseas and others don't.

Maybe the Lakers give the visiting teams a larger payout than usual so they (Lakers) don't have to play in the home facility of the other team.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are Lakers preseason games almost always home games?

Bard207 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

Maybe the Lakers give the visiting teams a larger payout than usual so they (Lakers) don't have to play in the home facility of the other team.

I would be shocked if the league isn't involved in scheduling the preseason. My guess it the revenues are divided in some equitable way that is decided by the league. I doubt each team is allowed to do whatever it wants.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are Lakers preseason games almost always home games?

activeverb wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

I would be shocked if the league isn't involved in scheduling the preseason. My guess it the revenues are divided in some equitable way that is decided by the league. I doubt each team is allowed to do whatever it wants.

That suggests a fair amount of tilt by the league towards the Lakers by not forcing them to eventually go on the road and be the visiting team for teams that came to California such as Denver.

I went and looked around to see if there is anything about gate receipts from the preseason. So far, have only found mention of the regular season.

NBA Constitution and Bylaws (page 77)

Quote:

8.03. Television and Gate Receipts.
(a) The revenues derived from network, national, and
international television contracts shall be shared equally among the
Members of this Association. Each Member may pledge, grant a lien
on, or otherwise hypothecate all of its share of the revenue derived
from such television contracts, subject to its first having obtained all
required approvals under the Constitution and By-Laws (including
Article 5 of the Constitution) and to the execution and delivery of such
documentation as may be satisfactory to the Commissioner, including
documentation that assures to the satisfaction of the Commissioner the
payment of such Member’s obligations to the Association, the other
Members of the Association and their respective affiliates out of such
Member’s share of the revenue derived from such television contracts.

(b) The visiting Team shall not be entitled to any portion
of the gate receipts derived from any Regular Season Game.

With the Lakers very seldom going to venues that are considered home turf for the other team during the preseason, they would have a huge economic advantage if the preseason rule/policy on gate receipts was the same as the regular season rule/policy on gate receipts.

Since Denver played two preseason games with the Lakers in California, it does suggest that the division of gate receipts is different than that of the regular season.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject:

I believe both teams get a cut of the revenue from the stadium or something of that nature. In this case, if you were the Denver owner, would you rather hold games in Colorado with 5k fans at an average ticket of 10 bucks or travel to sunny LA and let the Lakers host games to 15-20k crowd at 50k a ticket on average. This iOS probably a reason why the Bay is now hosting Lakers preseason games because they have expensive tickets now since the Warriors are great team.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are Lakers preseason games almost always home games?

Bard207 wrote:

With the Lakers very seldom going to venues that are considered home turf for the other team during the preseason, they would have a huge economic advantage if the preseason rule/policy on gate receipts was the same as the regular season rule/policy on gate receipts.

Since Denver played two preseason games with the Lakers in California, it does suggest that the division of gate receipts is different than that of the regular season.

The Lakers do go on the road in the preseason. This year, they've gone to San Francisco, San Diego and Las Vegas.

They are playing two games in their home arena, one game at the Warriors arena, and three games at neutral sites.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
I believe both teams get a cut of the revenue from the stadium or something of that nature. In this case, if you were the Denver owner, would you rather hold games in Colorado with 5k fans at an average ticket of 10 bucks or travel to sunny LA and let the Lakers host games to 15-20k crowd at 50k a ticket on average. This iOS probably a reason why the Bay is now hosting Lakers preseason games because they have expensive tickets now since the Warriors are great team.

Its probably why they didn't have the Ontario game this year....why limit yourself to a smaller arena when you can sell out a bigger arena especially when Lebron is on that team.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

The Lakers do go on the road in the preseason. This year, they've gone to San Francisco, San Diego and Las Vegas.

They are playing two games in their home arena, one game at the Warriors arena, and three games at neutral sites.

I said this

Quote:

With the Lakers very seldom going to venues that are considered home turf for the other team during the preseason,

Your response

Quote:

The Lakers do go on the road in the preseason.

I don't understand why you bothered responding to me if you were going to avoid addressing what I stated about the Lakers very seldom going to venues that are considered home turf for other teams.

Let us revisit the OP for this thread.

Treble Clef wrote:

I didn't think it was necessary to extract the part of the post that I was addressing when the post consists of only one paragraph of three sentences. So there is no confusion, I will do the extraction anyway.

Treble Clef wrote:

Quote:

Don't the other teams want a chance to have a Lakers aided sellout at their arena

Now onward to your responses in this discussion thread.

activeverb wrote:

Treble Clef wrote:

I think a lot of the popular western teams do the same thing. They have a game or two in their own arena, and then they play a couple of games at neutral sites. It's all set up to minimize traveling, while giving people in nearby areas a taste if the NBA. So you'll see say the Kings and Warriors play in Hawaii.

activeverb wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

activeverb wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

activeverb wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

activeverb wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

By my count, you have four posts in this discussion thread and

Quote:

Don't the other teams want a chance to have a Lakers aided sellout at their arena?

was in the quote train of three of those posts.

For some reason, you wish not to address it.

From the Lakers section of NBA.com.

Lakers Announce 2018-19 Preseason Schedule

Quote:

EL SEGUNDO – The Los Angeles Lakers have announced the preseason schedule for the 2018-19 season, along with ticket information. The Lakers will open the six-game preseason slate at the Valley View Casino Center in San Diego and will host the Nuggets, Kings, Clippers and Warriors before closing the preseason at the SAP Center in San Jose as guests of Golden State.

Tickets will be available to the public via the links on the schedule starting on May 21. Please find complete ticketing details below.

Quote:

Buy Tickets 09/30/18 Denver Nuggets San Diego, CA Valley View Casino Center 06:30:00 PM
Ticket Exchange 10/02/18 Denver Nuggets Los Angeles, CA STAPLES Center 07:30:00 PM
Ticket Exchange 10/04/18 Sacramento Kings Los Angeles, CA STAPLES Center 07:30:00 PM
Buy Tickets 10/06/18 Los Angeles Clippers Anaheim, CA Honda Center 07:00:00 PM
Buy Tickets 10/10/18 Golden State Warriors Las Vegas, NV T-Mobile Arena 07:30:00 PM
Sold By GSW 10/12/18 Golden State Warriors San Jose, CA SAP Center 07:30:00 PM

Quote:

Individual game tickets for games in San Diego, Anaheim and Las Vegas will go on sale at 10:00 a.m. PT on Monday, May 21, while tickets for the preseason games at STAPLES Center will go on sale later this summer when regular season tickets are available.

You can request group tickets for the preseason games at STAPLES Center by contacting our offices at 310-426-6033 or grouptickets -at- la-lakers.com.

Tickets for the game in San Diego will be sold at www.axs.com and will be available by phone at 1-888-9-AXS- TIX (1-888-929-7849), while groups of 15 or more are asked to call 619-363-5330. Tickets are priced at $25, $30, $40, $45, $65, $80, $90, $105, $145 and $160.

Tickets for the game in Anaheim will be sold at www.ticketmaster.com and will be available by phone at 1-800- 4-NBA-TIX. Tickets are priced at $24, $29, $41, $79, $109, $144 and $204. Group seats of 15 or more are available for purchase by calling 1-714-940-2859 or visiting www.hondacenter.com.

Tickets for the game in Las Vegas will be sold at www.axs.com and will be available by phone at 1-888-9-AXS- TIX (1-888-929-7849). Tickets are also available at the T-Mobile Arena Box office and are priced at $30, $40, $52, $70, $80, $85, $90, $110, $130, $155, and $180.

The Lakers labeled/classified themselves as the hosts for five of the six preseason games. The only game that lacks ticket prices and related is the game in San Jose that is considered to be a Golden State home game.

Feel free to classify all venues in California that aren't Staples as neutral sites. I will go with what the Lakers declared about being the hosts for five of the six preseason games.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: