Random Texts and Phone calls from all around the U.S.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
I have probably 10 scam calls a day. I just dont answer my phone, unless its a contact or I'm expecting from someone. There's voicemail, if they are actually important.

...same for me

Add me to that list.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
On the subject, anyone else get the occasional spam voicemail that is a woman jabbering on in what I am guessing is Chinese and sounds like she's leaving the message via a really bad radio from the 1940s?

It’s the same tax spiel scam that is a common robocall these days, just in mandarin instead of English. Theyre trying to hit all the language bases I guess.

You mean the old, "This is the IRS. You are criminally delinquent on your taxes, wire us $10,000 dollars immediately ore you will be subject to immediate arrest" nonsense?

My mandarin isn’t nearly as good as it was 20 years ago, but yeah, that was the gist of what I understood.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
There's nothing you can do until they outlaw number spoofing. You can block numbers but it's an endless cat and mouse game because they'll just spoof a new number that isn't blocked.

Always fun when they spoof your number. I’ve gotten a couple of angry calls over the years from people asking me why I keep calling them and I have to explain that it isn’t me.

I returned one of the spoofed numbers, didn't know it was a spoof. The guy answered said he didn't call me. I told him the number was in my missed call box. He said he didn't call me. I got out of character and went postal. I kinda believe him now. How do spoof numbers work?

So that was you!

Basically, they can show any number they want in your caller ID. A lot of times, they’ll use numbers that are fairly similar to yours under the assumption that you’ll be more likely to pick up if the number looks familiar to you, but the number itself can be randomly picked as well (as I understand it). So calling back a spam call can often lead to a very confused person wondering why you’re yelling at them.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
There's nothing you can do until they outlaw number spoofing. You can block numbers but it's an endless cat and mouse game because they'll just spoof a new number that isn't blocked.

Always fun when they spoof your number. I’ve gotten a couple of angry calls over the years from people asking me why I keep calling them and I have to explain that it isn’t me.

I returned one of the spoofed numbers, didn't know it was a spoof. The guy answered said he didn't call me. I told him the number was in my missed call box. He said he didn't call me. I got out of character and went postal. I kinda believe him now. How do spoof numbers work?

So that was you!

Basically, they can show any number they want in your caller ID. A lot of times, they’ll use numbers that are fairly similar to yours under the assumption that you’ll be more likely to pick up if the number looks familiar to you, but the number itself can be randomly picked as well (as I understand it). So calling back a spam call can often lead to a very confused person wondering why you’re yelling at them.

To make it even worse (and scarier), people have received spoof calls from numbers that are in their contact list.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:

So that was you!

To make it even worse (and scarier), people have received spoof calls from numbers that are in their contact list.

I got one. The number belonged to a friend from Belize. The caller had her name. She even had a Belizean accent. She just had a baby so I thought maybe she was working from home until she recovered from having a child and wanted to stay home with her and make a little money on the side. I was talking up a storm until she tried to sell me something. That's when I knew something was up. I hung up called my friend and let her know what happened. She thanked me for letting her know.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject:

I read once that if you play this 3 tone sound for disconnected phone numbers at the start of your voicemail recording the spambot calling you will recognize the tone and list your phone number as inoperative.

I haven't tried it myself yet.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: