"Anonymous" NBA Scout's take on the 2018-2019 Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Brook Lopez is not going to be the difference between winning a championship or coming up short. McGee is probably better on the boards, on defense, and at catching lobs. He will fit way better than Lopez, who had the movement of an elderly Brontosaurus.

Is he any slower than Zaza Pachulia?

You don’t keep Lopez for his speed, you keep him for his size and inside defense

You don’t keep Lopez... if you know there is gonna be handful of bigs available at the FA wire, you guys are acting like he was a darling for our team... dude was getting bashed by fans almost daily.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
epak wrote:
Financially it was pretty much one of Lance or Beas for Lopez.
But you can't look at it from a 1 to 1 decision just on that premise.

Lopez's replacements are Zubac and Moe.
Who would have been Lance/Beas replacement?

Re: the anonymous take, he's not really saying anything different from what other have said. Well, except for that Lopez nugget.

I'll take Corey Brewer on a vet minimum deal and BroLo over Stephenson at $4.5M and Zu.

That's fair. I forgot the mention McGee.

Lopez + Zu + Moe + Corey + Beas

vs

McGee + Zu + Moe + Lance + Beas

Theoretically, I believe McGee could have signed for the first option above, but who knows if he does if Brook is here or vice versa.

I don't think Lopez + Corey will make the team that much better than McGee + Lance, if at all.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Letting Brook Lopez go surprised me.

Jules...there was a lot going on. But Brook? I still don't get why we let him go.

Lance over Brook was the blunder of an otherwise great summer.

I've heard that Brook wasn't particularly interested in coming back.

Interesting. Did you hear why?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Jules...there was a lot going on. But Brook? I still don't get why we let him go.

I would assume he wasnt being used as a focal point at all. and they didnt have any plans to do so going forward. some guys just want to play and be one of the main guns. that was not the case with the lakers and wasnt going to be the case moving forward.

I liked Lopez a lot actually. I think we shouldve kept him but I also think we should've gone to him more on the block than we chose to.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject:

^ I'd reckon playing a career low 23.4 mpg might have something to do with it.

But then there was this tweet by Keith in July. Wonder if this was info from the Lakers side instead of Brook's side.

Quote:
Keith Smith
@KeithSmithNBA

Hearing Brook Lopez is a good bet to return to the Lakers. LA probably out of the running for DeMarcus Cousins after using a good amount of cap space to retain Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.

5:46 PM - Jul 1, 2018
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: "Anonymous" NBA Scout's take on the 2018-2019 Lakers

Texas_Pete wrote:
Anonymous NBA scouts don’t hold back when assessing opposing teams. This year is no different

Thanks for sharing the quote, but frankly the guy didn’t say much of anything. Am I missing something?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

Lopez seems to be the same player he was last year, if he went back to averaging 20/9 then we can somewhat complain why we didn’t get him but he’s probably gonna average close to the numbers he averaged last year or slightly better.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

To pick Milwaukee (no Disneyland) over LA...wow. Must have been depressing to be in LA for him...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
ocho wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I would assume he wasnt being used as a focal point at all. and they didnt have any plans to do so going forward. some guys just want to play and be one of the main guns. that was not the case with the lakers and wasnt going to be the case moving forward.

I liked Lopez a lot actually. I think we shouldve kept him but I also think we should've gone to him more on the block than we chose to.

And then joins a team with Giannis, Middleton and Bledsoe who will ensure that Brook rarely sees the ball.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject:

How is Brook doing now btw? Would like to track the stats of all players we "passed" on.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
How is Brook doing now btw? Would like to track the stats of all players we "passed" on.

How has Lance done? Brook would have filed a position of great need on this team. At a minimum he'd be our second best 5.

Instead we paid Lance to be, at best, our 8th best wing.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
epak wrote:
Financially it was pretty much one of Lance or Beas for Lopez.
But you can't look at it from a 1 to 1 decision just on that premise.

Lopez's replacements are Zubac and Moe.
Who would have been Lance/Beas replacement?

Re: the anonymous take, he's not really saying anything different from what other have said. Well, except for that Lopez nugget.

I'll take Corey Brewer on a vet minimum deal and BroLo over Stephenson at $4.5M and Zu.

That's fair. I forgot the mention McGee.

Lopez + Zu + Moe + Corey + Beas

vs

McGee + Zu + Moe + Lance + Beas

Theoretically, I believe McGee could have signed for the first option above, but who knows if he does if Brook is here or vice versa.

I don't think Lopez + Corey will make the team that much better than McGee + Lance, if at all.

Lopez+McGee+Beas+Brewer would've been my preference for the money. I'll wait to see if GT provides more info about why Lopez wanted to leave, but to date I haven't read anything to suggest the Lopez and McGee tandem wasn't an option.

Lonzo/Rondo
KCP or Hart
Ingram/Brewer or Svi/Bonga
Lebron/Kuz/Beas
BroLo/McGee/Moe

Even if Ingram's backups provided less than Stephenson - far from a guarantee given Lance's poor play over the past few years - the versatility of Lebron and Kuz allows the Lakers to play big and small.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

I'd imagine that Brook didn't like being an afterthought offensively after being a 20 ppg scorer the year before. He regularly sat out 4th quarters.

Funny thing is that on Milwaukee, he will see the ball less and will likely sit out 4th Qs. And there is no Disneyland there!!!
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

^Brook's lack of enthusiasm for returning could have also been a reflection of the FO's lack of enthusiasm to bring him back. Lot of chicken or the egg stuff with guys we didn't bring back because of perceived lack of desire to come back. But if Jules hadn't been left out every time Magic mentioned "the young core" maybe he would have wanted to come back? Same with Brook. You can at least say you want to bring a guy back, even if you ultimately don't. What does it cost you?
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
chantruong wrote:

How has Lance done? Brook would have filed a position of great need on this team. At a minimum he'd be our second best 5.

Instead we paid Lance to be, at best, our 8th best wing.

I honestly want Brook right now. I am just curious how certain guys we could have gotten play throughout the season. If they suck or play super well then we can joke around

List includes guys like Napier, Curry, Tyreke, Brook etc.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Agreed.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Lance has more experience and knows more about winning then Lopez does, it is not a blunder.. Lance has played more inspiring as a Laker then Lopez has with the exception of a few games last year.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Jules wanted a 2 year deal with a player option....Lakers wanted the team option so there went Jules. Which is smart because if he would've opted in there's not enough $ for a max player next year.

Are people here upset that we didn't sign Brook and have a two center tandem with McGee. Or do some of you think Brook was a better option that McGee? IMO McGee fits much better with this team..defense, shot blocking, lobs and athleticism. Brook was a horrific rebounder and shot blocker. Obviously Magic and Pelinka felt the same since McGee was the 2nd or 3rd FA they signed quickly.

I personally like both the Lance and Beasley signings. It's a long season and these guys are going to have major impacts in a lot of games. Let alone if we get have some injuries along the way.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Is Brook starting in Milwaukee?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Jules wanted a 2 year deal with a player option....Lakers wanted the team option so there went Jules. Which is smart because if he would've opted in there's not enough $ for a max player next year.

Are people here upset that we didn't sign Brook and have a two center tandem with McGee. Or do some of you think Brook was a better option that McGee? IMO McGee fits much better with this team..defense, shot blocking, lobs and athleticism. Brook was a horrific rebounder and shot blocker. Obviously Magic and Pelinka felt the same since McGee was the 2nd or 3rd FA they signed quickly.

I personally like both the Lance and Beasley signings. It's a long season and these guys are going to have major impacts in a lot of games. Let alone if we get have some injuries along the way.

Horrific?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Is Brook starting in Milwaukee?

Yes, with Giannis, Middleton, Brogdon, and Bledsoe. Bud has experimented with a Lopez/Ilyasova/Greek Freak frontcourt that seemed pretty potent in the brief minutes of one game I watched (admittedly against the hapless Bulls).
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Instead of resigning Brook, I would've forgetten about Lance and instead signed a great shooter. How about someone like Omri Casspi, who played for the Warriors last year and often shoots over 40% for the season? He was cheap too. Plus there were other similar options.

I think if we have a better than expected record at Christmas and we're maybe only a few games or so behind the 1 seed, Magic and Rob should then go to work and look to acquire the final piece, whether it's a shooter or a backup center (or both).

BTW I think that scout's full take on our team at the link was very balanced and fair.
irielight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lance has played very solid and looks very engaged as a Laker, he’s gonna have a good year for us, no need to bring up the things the team didn’t do.

Ya know, sometimes I think our guy IG is crazy, but I can't help but to appreciate his optimism and simplicity in approach. Everyday, I read posters' thoughts on the who, what, where, when and why, but we could all learn something from IG. I love the bolded quote! The positivity, the hope, the forward thinking, we could all use a little IG in us. Thank you IG for becoming the voice of reason on LG... ....wait what?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Lol
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Brook Lopez is not going to be the difference between winning a championship or coming up short. McGee is probably better on the boards, on defense, and at catching lobs. He will fit way better than Lopez, who had the movement of an elderly Brontosaurus.

Rebounds win championships.

Got cleaned out by GSW 56 to 45. I think it's the 4th of 5 games getting rebounded.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: