"Anonymous" NBA Scout's take on the 2018-2019 Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Letting Brook Lopez go surprised me.

Jules...there was a lot going on. But Brook? I still don't get why we let him go.

Lance over Brook was the blunder of an otherwise great summer.

I've heard that Brook wasn't particularly interested in coming back.

If this is the case then I feel better about what happened... although I wonder why he felt this way. Did he feel disrespected by management? Did he always feel this way or did it change after the season ended? Because he looked like he enjoyed playing with the guys.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Brook Lopez is not going to be the difference between winning a championship or coming up short. McGee is probably better on the boards, on defense, and at catching lobs. He will fit way better than Lopez, who had the movement of an elderly Brontosaurus.

Rebounds win championships.

Got cleaned out by GSW 56 to 45. I think it's the 4th of 5 games getting rebounded.

What makes you think Brook Lopez would make a noticeable impact on the boards given what you've seen him do for his entire career? If Kuz works on his rebounding, he'll be as good or better at rebounding than Lopez very soon.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Brook Lopez is not going to be the difference between winning a championship or coming up short. McGee is probably better on the boards, on defense, and at catching lobs. He will fit way better than Lopez, who had the movement of an elderly Brontosaurus.

Rebounds win championships.

Got cleaned out by GSW 56 to 45. I think it's the 4th of 5 games getting rebounded.

What makes you think Brook Lopez would make a noticeable impact on the boards given what you've seen him do for his entire career? If Kuz works on his rebounding, he'll be as good or better at rebounding than Lopez very soon.

He doesn't put up monster boards (like Marc Gasol for example) but he is one of the best at boxing out. I think Jules probably loved playing next to him.
#DeathMetalMatters
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject:

Lopez was too slow. End of story. Oh, and his rebounding was terrible. Once Mo comes back, we wont miss Brook AT.ALL.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

We didn't resign Lopez because we want to play more small ball. McGee is our starting center and Zubac is serviceable for 5-10 minutes. If Luke is already trying to play Kuzma at center position, he will definitely put LBJ and Wagner on that position too. There are no minutes for Lopez and he won't be satisfied with playing only 10 minutes a night even if we rest Zubac.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
We didn't resign Lopez because we want to play more small ball. McGee is our starting center and Zubac is serviceable for 5-10 minutes. If Luke is already trying to play Kuzma at center position, he will definitely put LBJ and Wagner on that position too. There are no minutes for Lopez and he won't be satisfied with playing only 10 minutes a night even if we rest Zubac.

Disagree. Think he would have played 30 and McGee would have played the remaining minutes.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Disagree. Think he would have played 30 and McGee would have played the remaining minutes.

Do you mean Lopez would have played 30?
I doubt that. He only played ~23 mpg last year. I'm sure he wanted to play more. But he seems like he needs touches in the pant. And that's not the direction the team wants to go. Again, that's just my feel from the situation.

Re: rebounds. He was definitely great at boxing out. Something I'm hoping Kuz works on if he plays some center.
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Jules...there was a lot going on. But Brook? I still don't get why we let him go.

With a gluttony of guards and forwards on this team, it probably became a priority to have more of a rim-running big with a defensive rebounding presence than a slower footed trailing big. And with Rondo and Lonzo not being particularly strong in the paint and at the rim on PnRs, the threat of a big rolling who can play above the rim as opposed to popping will provide better spacing for corner and wing kick outs for guys like KCP, Kuzma, BI and Hart (and possibly Svi down the road).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

With a gluttony of guards and forwards on this team, it probably became a priority to have more of a rim-running big with a defensive rebounding presence than a slower footed trailing big. And with Rondo and Lonzo not being particularly strong in the paint and at the rim on PnRs, the threat of a big rolling who can play above the rim as opposed to popping will provide better spacing for corner and wing kick outs for guys like KCP, Kuzma, BI and Hart (and possibly Svi down the road).

I don't think Brook was an impediment to signing Javale on a minimum deal which is what he took. Could have had both for basically 5-6m combined, and still enough minutes for small ball Cs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:

We aren’t built to play small ball, we don’t have the personnel.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

I doubt that. He only played ~23 mpg last year. I'm sure he wanted to play more. But he seems like he needs touches in the pant. And that's not the direction the team wants to go. Again, that's just my feel from the situation.

Re: rebounds. He was definitely great at boxing out. Something I'm hoping Kuz works on if he plays some center.

More than getting Brook post touches, I think he wasn't getting many opportunities as a roll man because Lonzo, Ingram, and Randle all needed space to operate, which Lopez helped provide as a pop threat.

I don't know that his role would've changed much with this year's roster, but a BroLo/Lebron 4-5 PnR might've worked pretty well.

And having a guy who can score reasonably well in the post wouldn't have been the worst thing.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

We aren’t built to play small ball, we don’t have the personnel.

I agree that we don't have the personnel but I think that is what the team trying to do.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject:

The Warriors were pretty awesome when Bogut would beat the living snot physically out of opposing centers. That would wear them out during the course of a game and then boom finish with Dray.

JaVale is playing well, but he doesn't do that and he tires quickly. Ideally he's a 15mpg energy big.

Brook would have been like Bogut, but with more offensive versatility b/c he could shoot better than an average center.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
epak wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

More than getting Brook post touches, I think he wasn't getting many opportunities as a roll man because Lonzo, Ingram, and Randle all needed space to operate, which Lopez helped provide as a pop threat.

I don't know that his role would've changed much with this year's roster, but a BroLo/Lebron 4-5 PnR might've worked pretty well.

And having a guy who can score reasonably well in the post wouldn't have been the worst thing.

I highly doubt Lopez will play 30 mins a night. I still think one of the reasons why we let Lopez go is because of Zubac. Unfortunately, Zubac hasn't played to the expectation. You can say this is a misevaluation. There are multiple factors for not resigning Lopez.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
epak wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

I highly doubt Lopez will play 30 mins a night. I still think one of the reasons why we let Lopez go is because of Zubac. Unfortunately, Zubac hasn't played to the expectation. You can say this is a misevaluation. There are multiple factors for not resigning Lopez.

I agree that Lopez would not have played 30 mpg. I doubt he ever plays 30 mpg in a season ever again. But for 25 mpg I think he could've been an effective short-term help.

Hopefully though, Maginka and Walton's faith in Zu and Moe will be borne out over the course of the season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: