OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1218, 1219, 1220 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lovefool
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject:

I know everyone is caught up in what he does on offense, but even if he isn't better, which i feel he clearly is, defensively is where he will help the team out the most. From what I've seen so far this preseason, i think he has made a leap in progression on both ends but defensively it feels even more so. Hes been more focused. More active. I like what im seeing so far.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
manlisten wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
The Lakers won, Ingram had 26 points but it's only acceptable if Brandon had attempted one more 3, make or miss? This is where I don't understand the obsession with 3 pointers.

Because looking back at the past few champions, that's where they have excelled.

I wouldn't put too much stock into a preseason game to gauge how we would fare in a tight playoff game. That's where emphasizing the sound strategy of taking open 3s need to come in. We aren't going to beat the Warriors and even Houston trading 2s for 3s.

You're suggesting that Ingram should basically make one 3 pointer every game. If he's trading 2s for 3s, that's a difference of one point.

You said that you don't understand the obsession with 3 pointers as a whole. Yes with BI it may be 1 made 3, but team-wide, that's much more.

There's also the ancillary benefit of spacing for his teammates if opposing teams have to keep a man on Ingram behind the arc.

Plus, imagine the drives that can come from a faked 3 point shot. Right now I don't think teams believe BI is taking a 3 when given the opportunity. They will start giving him space to take away the drive.

I want him to punish teams for that.

Right on! With the ground he covers with those long strides and with his passing vision, he can be lethal if given the opportunity to attack hard closeouts consistently.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

It's frankly easier than facing up, then taking a defender off the dribble who is waiting for the drive.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'm really pleased with his defensive energy. Finally starting to put that length with better point of attack stopping (though Curry gives EVERYONE trouble).

1) He has to frustrate Durant as much as any player in the NBA right now. Those are the matchups I want to see him win. If he can occasionally frustrate guards like Curry, too, that's the cherry on top of the sundae.

2) His help defense has really improved. Even if he's not getting every steal or block out there, his rotations and closeouts using his length are so much better already. That off-ball awareness and motor can be tougher to improve than on-ball technique, so it's exciting to see BI getting better as a team defender at only age 21.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Keep seeing Dave Chapelle's Rick James imitation

(bleep) yo couch, Warriors!
KB824MJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject:

I love what I'm seeing from him. He practices so much and wants to win, wants to get better. In a recent article, it said he studies LeBron's game, wants to see the game as good as him. I really believe if he improves his free throws, sky is the limit. I know people love the three, but it will definitely get there. Kid, looks confident out there and I already know his drive has always been there to be great.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

My point is that the memo will get out to the league that BI doesn't like to shoot 3s and defenses will adjust accordingly. By making 1.5-2 3s a game it would actually diversify his offensive portfolio.

That memos already out. It's been out since last year. And opposing teams still struggle to guard him without fouling.

But for our team's sake. I get where you're coming from. We'll need floor spacing. It'll make his teammates' lives easier.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

Does anyone still have faith that Mermuys or whoever is in charge of our offense can actually consistently design a scheme or plays that get us better quality shots (like the open corner threes that we're clamoring for BI to get) than what we're getting right now? I'm no expert on understanding NBA offenses just from watching games in real time, but it seems to me that we're one of the less organized offenses in the league over the last couple of years, and often resort to ISOs/hero ball and not so much on ball movement to generate scores. You would think that getting one of the GOAT playmakers would make the coaching staff's job easier in this regard (hell, even Mike Brown and Ty Lue were able to put together elite offenses around him by just getting him the ball and having everybody else move out of the way), but we're still seeing the same (bleep) in preseason. It's admittedly early, but I'm already concerned that Lance is allowed to consistently dribble the air out of the ball and end possessions with contested mid-range jumpshots. That's the same Jordan Clarkson (bleep) we've seen for two years now. Where's the system in that? It's just preseason, but shouldn't we still be implementing from top to bottom right now?

They can talk all they want about pushing the pace to extreme levels in order to feast in transition, and that's been crazy fun to watch in spurts so far, will definitely get us a lot of easy buckets, but it's not going to magically solve our offensive woes by itself. I'm tired of hearing that from the coaching staff as if it's THE answer. Same goes for talking up Lebron moving more off ball with all the so-called playmakers we have on this roster. If there's no actual system for that and it doesn't result in better quality offense, what's the point? Aren't we just better off doing what Lebron has successfully done for years? I'm concerned this coaching staff doesn't have what it takes otherwise.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

Ingram's free throw rate is ridiculous. He might be a guy that is top 5 in FTA per game soon. That's such a huge value. Easy points plus foul trouble for the opposition.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
I thought his head was in the game, and the reason why he didn't play well with Bron in this particular game is because early in the game he was isoing, instead of getting the ball on the move and scoring within the flow of an actual play. He was also the recipient of some bad passes.

He's much better on the move.

Something was up with him in the first half. Even when he off ball and moving without it, he just couldn't even catch the ball.

I take this as a good sign - I thought he actually had a bad game, and he still managed to make an impact and still scored 26 points.

I thought the passes were bad.. I would attribute the bad start to him isoing to score. When usually he iso's to make a play.

He's more effective catching the ball on the move and reading what the defense gives. When he has already determined he's going to score he gets himself in trouble. Which is what he did on his first few possessions.

I also agree that it wasn't a great game for him. Encouraging that he can play soso and still be a net positive.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

just a mini P & M thread
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Does anyone still have faith that Mermuys or whoever is in charge of our offense can actually consistently design a scheme or plays that get us better quality shots (like the open corner threes that we're clamoring for BI to get) than what we're getting right now? I'm no expert on understanding NBA offenses just from watching games in real time, but it seems to me that we're one of the less organized offenses in the league over the last couple of years, and often resort to ISOs/hero ball and not so much on ball movement to generate scores. You would think that getting one of the GOAT playmakers would make the coaching staff's job easier in this regard (hell, even Mike Brown and Ty Lue were able to put together elite offenses around him by just getting him the ball and having everybody else move out of the way), but we're still seeing the same (bleep) in preseason. It's admittedly early, but I'm already concerned that Lance is allowed to consistently dribble the air out of the ball and end possessions with contested mid-range jumpshots. That's the same Jordan Clarkson (bleep) we've seen for two years now. Where's the system in that? It's just preseason, but shouldn't we still be implementing from top to bottom right now?

They can talk all they want about pushing the pace to extreme levels in order to feast in transition, and that's been crazy fun to watch in spurts so far, will definitely get us a lot of easy buckets, but it's not going to magically solve our offensive woes by itself. I'm tired of hearing that from the coaching staff as if it's THE answer. Same goes for talking up Lebron moving more off ball with all the so-called playmakers we have on this roster. If there's no actual system for that and it doesn't result in better quality offense, what's the point? Aren't we just better off doing what Lebron has successfully done for years? I'm concerned this coaching staff doesn't have what it takes otherwise.

Luke said they still aren't running most of the offense yet.. so there's hope it's going to get better during the season. I don't see a lot of open looks for anyone out there, hopefully that'l change with Bron playing more minutes and whatever offense Luke installs.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Ingram's free throw rate is ridiculous. He might be a guy that is top 5 in FTA per game soon. That's such a huge value. Easy points plus foul trouble for the opposition.

It’s easy to learn how to get to the line when you study game film by looking at greats like KD, he might even get to Harden’s level eventually.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

We shouldn't be worried about offense. We will have a top 10 offense based on Lebron alone. Defense is the primary concern. Very excited to see Ingran take steps offensively, but his defensive improvements appear to be even more impressive. He had some moments against Durant last night that almost no one else in the league can replicate.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
We shouldn't be worried about offense. We will have a top 10 offense based on Lebron alone. Defense is the primary concern. Very excited to see Ingran take steps offensively, but his defensive improvements appear to be even more impressive. He had some moments against Durant last night that almost no one else in the league can replicate.

This season’s team will need Ingram and Lonzo to anchor the defense.

In order of importance for success, imo:
1. Lonzo and Ingram leading the way on defense
2. Team shooting
3. Minutes distribution at the 5
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

2. Team shooting

I think we’ll scrore whether we are a good shooting team or not. Replace rebounding in at number 2 and I agree.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

2. Team shooting

Yea, which worries me.
Lebron doesn't look good on help defense albeit in pre-season. But not sure how much effort he'll exert on help defense this year. Kuzma is pretty bad on help defense as well. And if he plays the 5, it might be worse.

I think I trust Lonzo, McGee and BI on defense, in that order.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

2. Team shooting

I think we’ll scrore whether we are a good shooting team or not. Replace rebounding in at number 2 and I agree.

I was going to put rebounding in there but in my mind it’s sort of part of numbers 1 and 3.

I hope you are right about the scoring even if it’s not a good shooting team. I know they will try and run at every opportunity, but I just think in today’s NBA it’s awfully tough if you struggle with shooting.
Lovefool
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Exactly. Their focus all camp has been on defense as it should be. They interviewed Durant and he said opposing offenses will have to execute their offense because the Lakers will feast on the fastbreak if teams make mistakes against them. Im very excited that defense is the main priority. That kind of mentality and culture is key to becoming a championship caliber team.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject:

Yep, we are second to last in rebounding as it stands. Even though it's just preseason.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject:

https://youtu.be/ml5rhGtG3jI

J. Kyle Mann of the Ringer, who’s also known from The Dime Drop, has a series about upcoming NBA stars. Part 1 talks about Brandon Ingram. It’s done exceptionally well and was entertaining to watch.

A couple things I took away from the video was:
A) He doesn’t believe Ingram will be a franchise player, but he can be an All-Star.
B) The Lakers should utilize him like how the Magic used Penny Hardaway.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

My point is that the memo will get out to the league that BI doesn't like to shoot 3s and defenses will adjust accordingly. By making 1.5-2 3s a game it would actually diversify his offensive portfolio.

That memos already out. It's been out since last year. And opposing teams still struggle to guard him without fouling.

But for our team's sake. I get where you're coming from. We'll need floor spacing. It'll make his teammates' lives easier.

lol if the Memo hasn't been out since last season then no scout in the league is doing his job right lol
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Yep, we are second to last in rebounding as it stands. Even though it's just preseason.

Don't need rebounding if you make all your shots on O and steal/block everything on D
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
None of this matters...

All the nitpicking is irrelevant. We only need Ingram to improve enough to keep the eventual Anthony Davis trade package favorable for us. Right now, he has already accomplished this for us.

We'll let the Pelican worry about his three point shooting. Not our problem.

Man, some of you guys are the biggest (bleep) party killers saying stuff like this about our own players in a thread that's not even about trades.

I can see why people who aren't high on BI think we're sensitive a majority of the time but this is literally just bait for any BI fan smh
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
None of this matters...

All the nitpicking is irrelevant. We only need Ingram to improve enough to keep the eventual Anthony Davis trade package favorable for us. Right now, he has already accomplished this for us.

We'll let the Pelican worry about his three point shooting. Not our problem.

Man, some of you guys are the biggest (bleep) party killers saying stuff like this about our own players in a thread that's not even about trades.

I can see why people who aren't high on BI think we're sensitive a majority of the time but this is literally just bait for any BI fan smh

Yep, it was bait.. which is why everyone ignored him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1218, 1219, 1220 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 1219 of 1885
Jump to: