NBA in Seattle.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
The Sonics always choked in Seattle. Then they moved and became Chokelahoma City. Durant decided to leave because of all the choking. Maybe the Sonics did them a favor by moving.

The Sonics were never going to beat the Bulls dynasty. They got close to the mountain top and ultimately couldn't get to the top like most other NBA legends of the 90's because of MJ, Pippen, Phil, etc.

I was thinking more of the losses to Denver and the Lakers (the Lakers upset them in 95 and embarrassed them in 98). You’re right that Seattle did fine when they made the finals, but I was thinking of the other years.

Did fine?
It was 3-0 for the Bulls before they pulled 2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: NBA in Seattle.

slavavov wrote:
activeverb wrote:
slavavov wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I can't see why Ballmer would move them to Seattle; the drop in franchise value would be enormous.

Their franchise value may drop for a little while, but once people start to forget that they used to be the Clippers, they should be able to attract big free agents and keep their homegrown players from leaving. Shortly after that their franchise value should rise.

As I'm sure you know, entrepreneurship isn't really about short term gain as much as it's about long term gain. Sometimes we need to sacrifice some short term gain so that we can have much more long term gain.

Franchise value is largely dependent on markets size. My guess is if they move from Los Angeles to Seattle their franchise valuation would drop from 30 to 50%. Right now, I believe Forbes estimates they are the 8th most valuable franchise. In Seattle they probably would drop to below the league average

I don't see why their moving from Los Angeles to Seattle would make them more attractive to free agents.

Anyway, as someone else noted, Balmer is building a new stadium in Inglewood, so I'm not sure why some Laker fans are hanging on to this fancy that the Clippers are going to move.

Moving to Seattle and rebranding themselves would at least give the appearance that they're serious about distancing themselves from being the Clippers and the Donald Sterling regime. If they combined that with better decisions at the top, starting with Steve Ballmer, then eventually they can be more attractive to free agents.

We went through the same thing. When Jim Buss was in charge, we were unattractive to free agents. Even when Kobe retired we were still unattractive. But when Jeanie Buss fired Jim and replaced him with Magic, it gave the message that we had distanced ourselves from Jim Buss. Now, as a result, we signed Lebron and Rondo.

That whole process will take several years for the Clippers, but like I said it's always about the long term if you're talking about ownership.

You're right when you said that franchise valuation is largely dependent on market size, but Seattle is a very attractive city to corporations. Maybe Ballmer could do some kind of deal with Amazon that would infuse lots of value into the team. Maybe being in the same city as his former company (Microsoft) would also help.

Also, if you own a sports team and are planning on holding on to it for many years, I think winning should take precedent over how much your franchise is valued, as long as you have the capital to build a winning team, which I'm guessing Ballmer does independently of the valuation of the Clippers.

With all that said, as you and others have mentioned in this thread, it looks like Ballmer is committed to that new arena in Inglewood, so everything I said here doesn't even matter since it will never happen.

If Balmer hasn't distanced himself from Sterling by this point, moving to Seattle won't change anything

From a Clipper standpoint, I don't see any upside to any of this. It seems like the folks who are most in favor of this are generally Laker fans who simply don't want a second team in their City
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: NBA in Seattle.

activeverb wrote:
It seems like the folks who are most in favor of this are generally Laker fans who simply don't want a second team in their City

Correct. This has been going on for years. People construct a narrative for why the Clippers should move wherever -- Seattle, Las Vegas, San Jose, etc. The reality is that LA is more likely to become a three team market than a one team market.

Sterling kept the Clippers in long term zombie status. Those days are over.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: NBA in Seattle.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
It seems like the folks who are most in favor of this are generally Laker fans who simply don't want a second team in their City

Correct. This has been going on for years. People construct a narrative for why the Clippers should move wherever -- Seattle, Las Vegas, San Jose, etc. The reality is that LA is more likely to become a three team market than a one team market.

Sterling kept the Clippers in long term zombie status. Those days are over.

The funny thing is the Clippers have been in Los Angeles for 32 years. They've been here longer than 10 other NBA teams have been in their city.

And, yes, Southern CA could support three NBA teams more easily than most cities could support one. Given the choice, I'd rather own the third team in LA than the first in Seattle. I figure Anaheim or Orange County will get one at some point.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

Considering that the Sacramento Kings almost became the Anaheim Kings, you are probably right.
While the Lakers media deal with TWC is massive, the Clippers just re-upped with Fox Sports for about 50-55 million per year 2 years ago, double what they were getting before. This is probably why they will be hesitant to entertain a move to another city. The money in LA is just too good.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject:

I also wonder if the Clippers would have a bigger and more loyal fan base if they moved to Seattle. Seems like many Clippers fans are either bandwagon fans or L.A. natives who think they're too cool to root for a class organization like the Lakers. Even Clipper Darrell isn't a Clipper fan anymore.

If they moved to Seattle, they'd own not just the Seattle metro area, but all of Washington state. The fans there wouldn't root for them just because they hate another local team, they'd root for them because they're repping their city and state. They may also be able to attract fans from Vancouver and the rest of B.C., since they don't have a team there and the NBA is really focusing on those international markets.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject:

I think a lot of people that are for moving the Clippers don't get that they are one of the more profitable franchises in the NBA. You have a better chance of the Grizzlies moving again than the Clippers.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
The Sonics always choked in Seattle. Then they moved and became Chokelahoma City. Durant decided to leave because of all the choking. Maybe the Sonics did them a favor by moving.

The Sonics were never going to beat the Bulls dynasty. They got close to the mountain top and ultimately couldn't get to the top like most other NBA legends of the 90's because of MJ, Pippen, Phil, etc.

I was thinking more of the losses to Denver and the Lakers (the Lakers upset them in 95 and embarrassed them in 98). You’re right that Seattle did fine when they made the finals, but I was thinking of the other years.

Did fine?
It was 3-0 for the Bulls before they pulled 2.

I meant they did fine because they made the finals that year. And they were the only team to beat the Bulls twice in the playoffs that year fwiw. Orlando got swept.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject:

If this was a Clippers forum people would be telling the Lakers to move to Seattle.

People are too worried about what the Clippers do. Back when the Lakers were actually dominating the NBA, people rarely talked about the Clippers here.

Personally I liked the Lakers having a couple of extra home games so they could beat up on the little brother of LA.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Is Seattle considered a major American city? I visited in July and it seemed quite small. (Though the metro area is ranked the 15th largest in the US, so bigger than some other markets.)

Why doesn't San Diego have a team? I don't think a franchise in Las Vegas would work.

San Diego does not have a team anymore because everyone here spends all their money on their home and because when they did have a team, nobody supported it.

San Diego does NOT have professional sports teams, they have hotdog vendors.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Is Seattle considered a major American city? I visited in July and it seemed quite small. (Though the metro area is ranked the 15th largest in the US, so bigger than some other markets.)

Why doesn't San Diego have a team? I don't think a franchise in Las Vegas would work.

San Diego does not have a team anymore because everyone here spends all their money on their home and because when they did have a team, nobody supported it.

San Diego does NOT have professional sports teams, they have hotdog vendors.

Biggest problem for them is that they don't have an arena. You aren't going to get public financing for a public arena/stadium in San Diego. Didn't work for a beloved team with lots of history like the Chargers and won't happen with an NBA team. The San Diego Sports Arena is woefully outdated for today's standards and the closest other arena is the Viejas Arena at San Diego State is up to date to college basketball standards but its not big enough and doesn't have the luxury boxes that an NBA team wants.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject:

The curse of Howard Schultz.

Unreal how he sold out the city of Seattle and Starbucks coffee sucks also in my opinion.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: