OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1220, 1221, 1222 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Can someone put together a list of SFs/big ISO SGs, who Ingram could theoretically be put on to lockdown? (even in his prime)

https://twitter.com/UnwrittenRul3s/status/1050612399978373120 this contest is spectacular

https://twitter.com/BBiomechanics/status/1050243478381318144 this is a cool breakdown and zoom of Ingram defending Durant coming off a screen. last replay is great
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

All the great sidekicks were in the HOF, look it up..

Magic/Kareem
MJ/Pippen/
Shaq/Kobe
Shaq/Wade
Kobe/Pau
LeBron/Irving

Tell me which sidekick did not make the HOF or won’t make the HOF? Penny could have been a great player similar to Grant Hill but both were ruined by injuries.

Umm, Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Pau and Irving have not made the Hall (although Kobe, Lebron and Wade are certainly locks, and Pau probably due to his international career). Kareem wasn't a sidekick. He was a 6 time MVP and won a championship before Magic was even in the league. Wade also won a championship before Lebron showed up as the man on his team. Pippen was a better player than Penny.

So yeah, Penny was a very good player. Likely a perennial all-star if his career wasn't derailed by injury. Possibly a Hall of Famer (but lots of guys are in the Hall that don't belong in the discussion with Kobe, Lebron, Magic, Kareem and MJ--like most of them). So all time great? This really depends on how low you're setting the bar, no?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn’t consider Penny to be a all time great but he is definitely a special talent who probably could have had the chance to make the HOF.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Ingram isn't like Penny in any way. Penny was a much better athlete and a more natural scorer. Pull up some Penny highlights and ask yourself when you've seen Ingram do that.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject:

Much better athlete is definitely an overstatement. Penny was a good athlete, not an uber athlete in the mold of a Westbrook, Bron, Lavine, Iggy, or pre injury D Rose..

With that being said he was way more polished offensively, If Ingram ever reaches that level of skill he's a superstar.

At present I would agree that Ingram is nothing like Penny.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject:

I don't think it's a great comparison. They are pretty different players imo. That having been said, it should be noted if making that comparison that Penny was a year older than Ingram is now in his rookie season when making those types of comparisons. He was a 22 year old rookie.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject:

Yeah, don’t see Penny. Exum is more like Penny. BI is a better version of prime Kirilenko right now
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Yeah, don’t see Penny. Exum is more like Penny. BI is a better version of prime Kirilenko right now

I wouldn’t say BI is better then AK47 yet tbh, Kirilenko’s defensive impact probably exceeds any impact that BI has as of now.

Kirilinko was a (bleep) monster
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
governator wrote:

I wouldn’t say BI is better then AK47 yet tbh, Kirilenko’s defensive impact probably exceeds any impact that BI has as of now.

Kirilenko averaged 3 blocks and 1.5 steals per game three times. The only players besides Kirilenko to do that more than once were Kareem, David Robinson, Hakeem, and Ben Wallace.

I'm loving me some BI, but I agree we should wait a bit before putting him in the pantheon of all-time great defenders that AK47 is in with Olajuwon and friends.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
None of this matters...

All the nitpicking is irrelevant. We only need Ingram to improve enough to keep the eventual Anthony Davis trade package favorable for us. Right now, he has already accomplished this for us.

We'll let the Pelican worry about his three point shooting. Not our problem.

Man, some of you guys are the biggest (bleep) party killers saying stuff like this about our own players in a thread that's not even about trades.

I can see why people who aren't high on BI think we're sensitive a majority of the time but this is literally just bait for any BI fan smh

Bait? Why would I need to post something for bait? I don't care what you or anyone thinks man. This is my opinion; that's it.

I like Ingram. But he is one year behind in development. His jump should have taken place last season. Now it's about closing the equity gap for the trade.

Blame LeBron... A lot of ish is going to happen that people aren't going to like because of him.

No patience? He's only played two seasons. What is he like 20-21?

Sure I have patience. Ingram will be pretty good this season. But this should have happened last year. He's a year behind; and with the addition of LeBron; it changed everything.

Magic and Rob are not loyal to any players. I am sure if you privately asked Magic if he was disappointed in Ingram not making his jump last year, he'd say that he was. Had Ingram made his jump last season, we'd be having a totally different conversation right now. The growth happening now was more appropriate for last season. Despite being so young, he's a late bloomer.

LeBron is going to create the opportunity and room for Ingram's growth that he couldn't achieve on his own. For that reason, Ingram profiles as a #2 guy. I think he should be in the high or low post; not playing like a guard. Ingram should be watching tape of the first year Dirk played for Avery Johnson.

I am not against Ingram. I think he's probably going to be very good player.

A best case scenario comp for me would be combining the skill sets of Chris Webber and Shaun Livingston.
HellCrowe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
defense wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
None of this matters...

All the nitpicking is irrelevant. We only need Ingram to improve enough to keep the eventual Anthony Davis trade package favorable for us. Right now, he has already accomplished this for us.

Man, some of you guys are the biggest (bleep) party killers saying stuff like this about our own players in a thread that's not even about trades.

I can see why people who aren't high on BI think we're sensitive a majority of the time but this is literally just bait for any BI fan smh

Bait? Why would I need to post something for bait? I don't care what you or anyone thinks man. This is my opinion; that's it.

I like Ingram. But he is one year behind in development. His jump should have taken place last season. Now it's about closing the equity gap for the trade.

Blame LeBron... A lot of ish is going to happen that people aren't going to like because of him.

Sure I have patience. Ingram will be pretty good this season. But this should have happened last year. He's a year behind; and with the addition of LeBron; it changed everything.

Magic and Rob are not loyal to any players. I am sure if you privately asked Magic if he was disappointed in Ingram not making his jump last year, he'd say that he was. Had Ingram made his jump last season, we'd be having a totally different conversation right now. The growth happening now was more appropriate for last season. Despite being so young, he's a late bloomer.

LeBron is going to create the opportunity and room for Ingram's growth that he couldn't achieve on his own. For that reason, Ingram profiles as a #2 guy. I think he should be in the high or low post; not playing like a guard. Ingram should be watching tape of the first year Dirk played for Avery Johnson.

A best case scenario comp for me would be combining the skill sets of Chris Webber and Shaun Livingston.

Everyone doesn’t follow a Lebron path in their career. Some have to go through more years of college and at the same time, kids that come out young will take time (e.g. Kobe). So to expect an 18/19 year old to take the league by storm with no veteran mentor ship is setting yourself up for disappointment.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
defense wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
None of this matters...

Do you happen to be user "JustBringItBitch" on Reddit?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
governator wrote:

Kirilenko averaged 3 blocks and 1.5 steals per game three times. The only players besides Kirilenko to do that more than once were Kareem, David Robinson, Hakeem, and Ben Wallace.

I'm loving me some BI, but I agree we should wait a bit before putting him in the pantheon of all-time great defenders that AK47 is in with Olajuwon and friends.

Yeah, when we drafted BI, my initial comp was AK47.

But then it was a bit obvious that BI didn't have nearly the same quick twitch skills as AK47.

I think BI is a slow but steady improver. I'm not sure he's an all-nba caliber player, but I do think he has all-star potential.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject:

HellCrowe wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
defense wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
None of this matters...

Everyone doesn’t follow a Lebron path in their career. Some have to go through more years of college and at the same time, kids that come out young will take time (e.g. Kobe). So to expect an 18/19 year old to take the league by storm with no veteran mentor ship is setting yourself up for disappointment.

I never expected Ingram to take the league by storm. I never saw that level of potential in him. So I haven't been disappointed.

I only expected this current growth experience to happen last year. But it didn't, and I am still not disappointed. It is what it is.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject:

I think BI definitely has AS potential. Actually I think in one moment of his career he will be in the top 5 SF in the NBA which means top 25 players in the league.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject:

You know who isn't thought of as quick or twitchy but ended up damn good?

Gordon Hayward.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
You know who isn't thought of as quick or twitchy but ended up damn good?

Gordon Hayward.

Yeah that would be an amazing result. Not quite all NBA but all star level. If he ended up at that tier, I would be pleased (obviously would like a MVP caliber player but I honestly don't see that with BI).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject:

BI getting some love for ESPN's panel vote (highest with 9 votes) for MIP. Nice.

LBJ also getting the most MVP picks (9).

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24961747/expert-predictions-mvp-rookie-year-coach-year-more-nba-award-picks
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

All the great sidekicks were in the HOF, look it up..

Magic/Kareem
MJ/Pippen/
Shaq/Kobe
Shaq/Wade
Kobe/Pau
LeBron/Irving

Tell me which sidekick did not make the HOF or won’t make the HOF? Penny could have been a great player similar to Grant Hill but both were ruined by injuries.

Umm, Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Pau and Irving have not made the Hall (although Kobe, Lebron and Wade are certainly locks, and Pau probably due to his international career). Kareem wasn't a sidekick. He was a 6 time MVP and won a championship before Magic was even in the league. Wade also won a championship before Lebron showed up as the man on his team. Pippen was a better player than Penny.

So yeah, Penny was a very good player. Likely a perennial all-star if his career wasn't derailed by injury. Possibly a Hall of Famer (but lots of guys are in the Hall that don't belong in the discussion with Kobe, Lebron, Magic, Kareem and MJ--like most of them). So all time great? This really depends on how low you're setting the bar, no?

Penny at one point was in consideration for best player in the game. That's gotta be an all time great talent. That's not setting the bar low at all.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

I'm guessing you never saw AK47 play if you're spouting that type of nonsense.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BI getting some love for ESPN's panel vote (highest with 9 votes) for MIP. Nice.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24961747/expert-predictions-mvp-rookie-year-coach-year-more-nba-award-picks

Wow. That's a change.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Can someone put together a list of SFs/big ISO SGs, who Ingram could theoretically be put on to lockdown? (even in his prime)

https://twitter.com/UnwrittenRul3s/status/1050612399978373120 this contest is spectacular

https://twitter.com/BBiomechanics/status/1050243478381318144 this is a cool breakdown and zoom of Ingram defending Durant coming off a screen. last replay is great

KD, PG13, DeRozan, Butler, Wiggins, Kawhi, half of Boston's roster.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Interesting on BI. Historically MIP goes to a guy who makes a huge jump in PPG and I don't see BI doing that. He'd have to jump from 16 and average 20+; wonder if that's what they're predicting?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
governator wrote:

Yeah, when we drafted BI, my initial comp was AK47.

But then it was a bit obvious that BI didn't have nearly the same quick twitch skills as AK47.

I think BI is a slow but steady improver. I'm not sure he's an all-nba caliber player, but I do think he has all-star potential.

Kirilenko was a freak ahead of his time. He started out as a SF in Utah, but he'd be winning DPOY awards as a center in today's NBA. The guy led the NBA in blocks one season - 3.3 in only 32 mpg! - as a combo-forward, for crying out loud. Because of his immense defensive impact (not to mention the passing chops) he was a HOF-caliber talent whose career was cut too short by injuries.

So it's okay if Ingram falls short of peak AK47. He can be a damn good player in his own way and hopefully for much longer than Kirilenko who broke down after 3-4 great seasons.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject:

I can legit see Ingram breaking 20 ppg with his FT improved alone.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1220, 1221, 1222 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 1221 of 1885
Jump to: