Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Vocalists?

Quote:
Of course my favorite female singer is Ella. Wish I could have heard her live.

We agree on Ella. Saw her live at Birdland in New York. I hadn't physically seen her or a picture and was surprised when I did. She didn't fit her voice. I expected a petite doll. Sarah Vaughan and Dinah Washington right in the mix.

Quote:
Male singer? I actually like a guy named Gregory Porter or Kurt Elling. Not as familiar with older male jazz singers.

My very favorite male vocalist is Luther Vandross but he's not a jazz singer. He left to soon as did Michael Jackson though Michael was more a onstage presence.

When I finally sat down and listened to Frank Sinatra I said "Damn" dat bouy can rally sang!!! His album For Lovers Only is a masterpiece. Have to mention Billy Eckstine.

Check out Porter and Elling. My two favorite male jazz singers today.

I like Gregory Porter, dude has a great voice. Try listening to Mark Murphy sometime.

https://youtu.be/uBCbM6_DIZQ
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I don't think those railing on Kenny G, saying he's not playing jazz, take into consideration the many entries of the genre. e.g. Modern Jazz, Cool Jazz, Smooth Jazz, Free improvisation etc.

You would be wrong about that -- at least speaking for myself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Yeah, Kenny G is who he is. Not that I'm a huge fan, but his music is sufficiently accessible to the average music buyer, and his records sell. I don't get the constant belittlement of artists like him. Like you said, he resides in one of many subsets of the genre. I don't recall him or anyone else ever claiming him to be some defining jazz master. But like I said lots of people like his sound, and he's managed to make a very successful career based on its own merit. Nothing wrong with that.

It's like going to Olive Garden for "Italian" food. Accessible, commercial, successful.

Sure, you can go to the more authentic hole in the wall, but Kenny G is cashing in those checks while many great jazz artists are sadly living in poverty.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Love jazz, it's changing alot now because so many of the people who were the foundation have died.

For sax, anyone ever heard Phil Woods play Alto? He was a great player but died fairly recently. Worth seeking out.

https://youtu.be/rYgm1gof9X4

If you like the older school sounds from someone like Duke Ellington, try Marshall Royal, who plays a very lush style.

https://youtu.be/xVdxin6dh2M

For stand up bass, I love Bob Magnusson, who for some reason flew under the radar for many jazz fans, but the players know him well.

https://youtu.be/AOjRFFWnz_Y

And then you get to piano, still nobody I love more than Bill Evans. He was so ahead of his time that guys are still trying unsuccessfully to copy him.

https://youtu.be/1ESLJebaWyU

https://youtu.be/pcKiE6F5AeM

Alright, let's talk about the "new" cats.

Obviously you have Wynton Marsalis.

One of my fave sax players has been Joshua Redman.

Bassist, you can go with Christian McBride.

Organ is Cory Henry, when/if he wants to play jazz.

Lots of interesting piano players, but someone like Brad Melhdau is one of my go to guys.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Not that the chemistry would work, but who would you have on an all time Jazz squad?

I kind of think Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue" squad is close.

Trumpet: Miles Davis (Clifford Brown would be a 2nd).
Sax: Cannonball Adderley
Piano: Bobby Timmons
Organ: Jimmy Smith
Drum: Louis Hayes
Bass: Sam Jones
Cornet: Nat Adderley

I mean so many people with so much game.

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Tough call for me. It's never really the instrument that actually exudes the jazz sound, but the person behind it. While the heart of great jazz is really in the rhythm section, the soul can be found anywhere. The sax definitely has that sexy sound that can be so seductive, and even more so in the right hands. But again, great jazz is only channeled through the instrument and by the person playing it.

So to me, if we are going to discuss what instrument most epitomizes the jazz sound, historically it's the trumpet simply because across the arc of genres within the genre and going back to the roots, the trumpet has been the more prominent instrument at the center of it all.

Which is the best? The horns or the bass? tough one.

obviously they were both sampled from actual jazz musicians. but this is a clear separation where you can figure out which is the best one in your mind based on a simple loop of a song. on one hand, the horns..Then that Rhythm ...of the bass. It is intoxicating. It's almost a drum even before the drums come in. You can tap your feet to it.

The original song

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers Stretching 1978

Sounds so good.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Tough call for me. It's never really the instrument that actually exudes the jazz sound, but the person behind it. While the heart of great jazz is really in the rhythm section, the soul can be found anywhere. The sax definitely has that sexy sound that can be so seductive, and even more so in the right hands. But again, great jazz is only channeled through the instrument and by the person playing it.

So to me, if we are going to discuss what instrument most epitomizes the jazz sound, historically it's the trumpet simply because across the arc of genres within the genre and going back to the roots, the trumpet has been the more prominent instrument at the center of it all.

obviously they were both sampled from actual jazz musicians. but this is a clear separation where you can figure out which is the best one in your mind based on a simple loop of a song. on one hand, the horns..Then that Rhythm ...of the bass. It is intoxicating. It's almost a drum even before the drums come in. You can tap your feet to it.

The original song

Sounds so good.

Bass doesn't have enough range for me.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

The original song

Sounds so good.

Bass doesn't have enough range for me.
and thats the same thought I had. I guess the question would be could you live without it in jazz? I say no. could you live without the horns(if so, which one)?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I don't think those railing on Kenny G, saying he's not playing jazz, take into consideration the many entries of the genre. e.g. Modern Jazz, Cool Jazz, Smooth Jazz, Free improvisation etc.

You would be wrong about that -- at least speaking for myself.

Can you separate Kenny G Smooth Jazz from Miles Davis Improvisational Jazz? If so Each has a niche of it's own in the same genre. I think I understand where you're coming from. If I do but I think it narrows the genre to a specific.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Yeah, Kenny G is who he is. Not that I'm a huge fan, but his music is sufficiently accessible to the average music buyer, and his records sell. I don't get the constant belittlement of artists like him. Like you said, he resides in one of many subsets of the genre. I don't recall him or anyone else ever claiming him to be some defining jazz master. But like I said lots of people like his sound, and he's managed to make a very successful career based on its own merit. Nothing wrong with that.

It's like going to Olive Garden for "Italian" food. Accessible, commercial, successful.

Sure, you can go to the more authentic hole in the wall, but Kenny G is cashing in those checks while many great jazz artists are sadly living in poverty.

That's not Kenny's fault tho, again not that I'm his hugest fan, but people like his music because they like it, whether they don't know any better is another story. And trust me, the struggling musician analogy is not exclusive to jazz music. I know plenty of musicians who work their tails off to make ends meet and none of them are jazz cats. My main point is I don't like artists belittling other artists; that just reeks of insecurity to me. I don't get the need to call someone a bum just because you don't like what they do. In the case of G, sure his music is a bit cheesy and elevator-y, but I'll be honest, I think he's an accomplished instrumentalist and his music is far from being ostensibly appalling like some people make it out to be. To put the mainstream shortcomings off jazz music squarely on Kenny's shoulders is just wrong, imo.

My .02, jazz will never reach the mainstream popularity of other genres because it can't. It's too out there, too unconventional, too unpredictable and too musically progressive for the average consumer to digest. At least on first listen. I've been a music aficionado all my life, and it was only until the last 8 years or so that I really starting appreciating what are considered some of the great jazz works. Many of them took multiple listens (like more than 10) to fully grasp. I don't think everyone has that type of patience or commitment. Those who have an advanced musical concept might get it right away, but I wouldn't lump them with the average listener. So that's what it comes down to for me. Jazz requires commitment in order to fully appreciate.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Wino wrote:
Love jazz, it's changing alot now because so many of the people who were the foundation have died.

For sax, anyone ever heard Phil Woods play Alto? He was a great player but died fairly recently. Worth seeking out.

If you like the older school sounds from someone like Duke Ellington, try Marshall Royal, who plays a very lush style.

For stand up bass, I love Bob Magnusson, who for some reason flew under the radar for many jazz fans, but the players know him well.

And then you get to piano, still nobody I love more than Bill Evans. He was so ahead of his time that guys are still trying unsuccessfully to copy him.

Lots of interesting piano players, but someone like Brad Melhdau is one of my go to guys.

So, I used to listen to Dewey Redman more than his son, but his son has really become a great player, I actually like him more than his dad now. McBride has been around for a really long time, hard time considering him one of the new guard. Over 45 years old, but I guess that is still kind of young for a jazz player. I picked up on him back in the early 90's when he was playing with Ricky Ford.

Wynton is amazing and a super talented musician on so many levels. I was more of a Woody Shaw fan, liked Hubbard, but he kind of got commercial there for awhile. If you have never heard Shaw's album called Rosewood, do a Google search.

Not familiar with Cory Henry and the only other younger guy I can think of is Joey DeFrancesco and he is almost 50. I'm sure there are a few young guys out there, just so hard to get to hear them nowadays.

For other piano players I love, that are in Brad Melhdau's wheel house, try Alan Broadbent and/or Bill Mays. Those three guys, perhaps Keith Jarret, are probably the three guys who I would say are the most similar to Bill Evans I have ever heard. Mays has really only "made it", in the last 10 years even though he is in his 70's now. He did a ton of commercial work in decades past for TV, kept him busy and he never really toured with the big names as much as he should have. He also, tended to play with serious jazz guys like Ed Bickert and Clark Terry. He plays in San Diego every once in awhile and I have seen him play at least 5 times, he is seriously great.

There are a bunch of young piano players around now, guys like Kris Bowers and Joshua White are awesome. Those two guys won the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz International Piano Competition in 2011. This is a huge award and both of these guys are awesome players. They have unique styles and are fairly hardcore jazz guys with deep roots, that go back to Monk, Tatum, ect.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject:

What no love for the vibes players? Cal Tjader and Milt Jackson off the top of my head saw them both. Both incredible
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Wino wrote:

So, I used to listen to Dewey Redman more than his son, but his son has really become a great player, I actually like him more than his dad now. McBride has been around for a really long time, hard time considering him one of the new guard. Over 45 years old, but I guess that is still kind of young for a jazz player. I picked up on him back in the early 90's when he was playing with Ricky Ford.

Wynton is amazing and a super talented musician on so many levels. I was more of a Woody Shaw fan, liked Hubbard, but he kind of got commercial there for awhile. If you have never heard Shaw's album called Rosewood, do a Google search.

Not familiar with Cory Henry and the only other younger guy I can think of is Joey DeFrancesco and he is almost 50. I'm sure there are a few young guys out there, just so hard to get to hear them nowadays.

For other piano players I love, that are in Brad Melhdau's wheel house, try Alan Broadbent and/or Bill Mays. Those three guys, perhaps Keith Jarret, are probably the three guys who I would say are the most similar to Bill Evans I have ever heard. Mays has really only "made it", in the last 10 years even though he is in his 70's now. He did a ton of commercial work in decades past for TV, kept him busy and he never really toured with the big names as much as he should have. He also, tended to play with serious jazz guys like Ed Bickert and Clark Terry. He plays in San Diego every once in awhile and I have seen him play at least 5 times, he is seriously great.

There are a bunch of young piano players around now, guys like Kris Bowers and Joshua White are awesome. Those two guys won the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz International Piano Competition in 2011. This is a huge award and both of these guys are awesome players. They have unique styles and are fairly hardcore jazz guys with deep roots, that go back to Monk, Tatum, ect.

You have to check out Cory Henry (not his new stuff which is more funk). Could say he’s more of a church organist too but his chops are unbelievable.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject:

Ol skool. Heroine killed a promising career Chet Baker Sings

unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject:

I don't always listen to Jazz,

But when I do, it has to be Electric...!

(Like Al Dimeloa, George Benson, Return to Forever, Wes Montgomery, etc.)
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

Try Weather Report. do a search for two albums on youtube, Mysterious Traveller and Tale Spinnin'. Great electric jazz.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
What no love for the vibes players? Cal Tjader and Milt Jackson off the top of my head saw them both. Both incredible

I have some Tjader vinyl. Good mention. I also like Milt Jackson and Lionel Hampton.

Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

Kind of Blue is the only album I would need in the rotation.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:

That is a perfect album.

I'm also a big Love Supreme fan. Could listen to that for days.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

That is a perfect album.

I'm also a big Love Supreme fan. Could listen to that for days.

I'm partial to Sketches of Spain. It's a very relaxing album.

panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

Mahavishnu?
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

Can't decide between saxophone and trumpet. Gravitating a bit to sax. Played both, just sold my sax to a way more talented 10yo.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: