OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 235, 236, 237 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

giordan0 wrote:
Saw this in Reddit Lakers postgame thread;

https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/9m2izg/preseason_post_game_lakers_lose_to_the_clippers/e7benoc/

" Did anybody notice Pelinka and Magic talking at the end? Now I'm not a good lip reader but it appeared to me that magic said to Rob " He can't play" and then proceeds to say "Zu". Rob shakes his head in agreement but looks sad and troubled maybe. They did not look very happy. I'm always defending Zu but whoever is his player development coach (bleep) sucks or he sucks at developing Big men. There are simple (bleep) that could've been taught to Zu like for instance don't bring the ball down so small guys can swat at your hands. "

Miles Simon is the Lakers Player Development Coach I believe.

Personally, I'd like to see Zubac work with Kareem. There was talk about it over the years but it sounds like the two have met only once (and that briefly).

Otherwise, maybe using Rambo, since he's newly rejoined the Lakers, to instill some fundamentals into Zubs.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
I’ve heard many naysayers, but, other than game one, I don’t really see Zubac as the pariah he’s being made out to be.

He seems to be an excellent third-string Center, which is exactly what he is.

Why is he an excellent third string Center? Because he is actually good enough to be more.

Zubac is fine in my eyes.

Sojo wrote:
Big men usually take longer to develop. Like 95% of the time.

--Anonymous
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
Sojo wrote:

He is 21 years old. We gave him enough time. Waive him immediately.

This kind of argumentation is so bad, man. It's almost cringeworthy.

But okay. I'll bite. So how much longer should he get before we can start holding him accountable for actual results? Another three years?

RI Laker's comments are appropriate because Zubac is not as bad as people are making him out to be. He is averaging 9.5 minutes per game. His per 36 minute stats are 21.98 pts on 55% shooting (but only 25% FT), 9.47 rebounds, 1.14 assists and 3.79 blocks (computed from nba.com). Apparently, he was sick and played anyways which affected his defense. While per 36 minute stats aren't the best for athletes who play relatively few minutes, these stats show that Zubac is not as bad as some as indicating. Hopefully, he gets well and everything comes together. By December 1, we should have a good idea of where Zubac really is. Hopefully, he comes through.

--Anonymous

Last edited by Annihilator on Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
Sojo wrote:

He is 21 years old. We gave him enough time. Waive him immediately.

This kind of argumentation is so bad, man. It's almost cringeworthy.

But okay. I'll bite. So how much longer should he get before we can start holding him accountable for actual results? Another three years?

I will play along. I do not think anyone can deny that he played well and looked promising his rookie season. Last year, he came in soft, started the year slow, and it followed him the rest of the year. This year, by all accounts (as well as appearance), he has worked hard and got himself in good shape. His improved conditioning seems to have payed dividends on both sides of the court (enough to be encouraged). He has shown better hops with a soft touch around the basket, using his shoulders to shield off defenders, and the ability to shoot from both hands. His motor seems much better and he is clearly faster with the diminished weight. On the defensive side of the ball, he looks much better at rim protection. He has had some lapses on that side of the ball and leaving his man to provide help D to a player much further away from the basket (and less of a threat than the man he left). I am not ready to put him on the scrap heap. If we give him time, he has the potential to be an attribute. We are talking about a 3rd string center (and a good one at that). I think he is clearly worth continued development for the time being given his age, cost, and our lack of 5's.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject:

Wow, didn’t even see the court yesterday. Even with Wagner out, he seems completely out of the rotation. Sad to me — I think he still has a lot of potential and he is only 21.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject:

Not looking promising for Zub.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject:

No more time for experimentation and development. Lakers are in win-now mode. I guess they've moved on from Zu. It's too bad cuz he's one of my favorite players but I don't think he's made out to be an NBA player. He's meant to dominate the euroleague.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
Wow, didn’t even see the court yesterday. Even with Wagner out, he seems completely out of the rotation. Sad to me — I think he still has a lot of potential and he is only 21.

Just a guess but I’m thinking he did not play against the Warriors because of matchups. They never put a center on the court and allowed Walton to experiment with small ball combos all game.

And yes, I realize that McGee played throughout. Different type of center play.

I will continue to be patient with Zubac because I am forced to. There really aren’t many options available. Lakers need him or Wagner to be able to play consistent backup center all season long.

Not going to be playing favorable small ball lineups every night. In fact, those will be the rare nights the Lakers will be able to get away with it over the 82 games.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject:

Zubac just has to be a serviceable second string center for 10 to 15 min a game. Especially against the big centers 7 ft or taller.
Not have to be a threat to score but play defense and rebound.

Right now have to go with him unless somebody waives a decent center, which is rare.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
markjay wrote:

Just a guess but I’m thinking he did not play against the Warriors because of matchups. They never put a center on the court and allowed Walton to experiment with small ball combos all game.

I will continue to be patient with Zubac because I am forced to. There really aren’t many options available. Lakers need him or Wagner to be able to play consistent backup center all season long.

Not going to be playing favorable small ball lineups every night. In fact, those will be the rare nights the Lakers will be able to get away with it over the 82 games.

I'm hoping that you are right and they just saw this as a golden opportunity to try out the small ball lineups for extended minutes. I do hope they keep Zubac in the rotation as I still think he has a promising NBA career ahead of him.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
markjay wrote:

I'm hoping that you are right and they just saw this as a golden opportunity to try out the small ball lineups for extended minutes. I do hope they keep Zubac in the rotation as I still think he has a promising NBA career ahead of him.

Also, in my opinion, the front office is trying to decide if either Wear or Williams is worth keeping; Zu's position is probably reasonably safe (I would be very surprised if they released Zu). So, it makes sense to give Wear and Williams extended run.

--Anonymous
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
markjay wrote:

Zubac will play when the other team has a 7 footer out there hurting us after McGee sits. Otherwise, we'll go small like last night.

Zublaca is still recovering a bit. There's no "competition" for his minutes since the rook is out. Give the other 20 guys some burn and Luke can experiment.
CantStopJM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject:

He has no redeeming quality. For someone that's 7 foot, he can't even get those random I'm just tall rebounds that 7 footers are good for.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Is he still sick?
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Time to cut zu.

Sorry and thanks 👍
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, that may be it for Zu. Williams is just better and Williams isn’t good.
lounger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Zu was frustrated at times he wasn't given the ball in the game today. What he failed to realize was there were multiple instances where there was a second defender behind him anticipating the pass to him.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject:

He’s getting back to his normal self, nice to see him contribute.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Did u watch the game or just the scoreboard?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I was talking about his condition, he looked energetic.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I was talking about his condition, he looked energetic.

Not really but ok I guess🤷🏼‍♂️
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject:

lounger wrote:
Zu was frustrated at times he wasn't given the ball in the game today. What he failed to realize was there were multiple instances where there was a second defender behind him anticipating the pass to him.

At least he didn't scream "GIMME THE [expletive] BALL!!"
lounger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
lounger wrote:

That was a side day for The Machine, being yelled at by Bynum!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject:

lounger wrote:
MJST wrote:
lounger wrote:

All I remember was how far Bynum was from the basket and thinking "whats he gonna do from there if he got the ball?"
lounger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
lounger wrote:
MJST wrote:
lounger wrote:

All I remember was how far Bynum was from the basket and thinking "whats he gonna do from there if he got the ball?"

probably dribble it out and take the corner three.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 235, 236, 237 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 236 of 290
Jump to: