RIP Paul Allen

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: RIP Paul Allen

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/15/microsoft-co-founder-paul-allen-dies-of-cancer-at-age-65.html
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Wow. He was young.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject:

RIP

Microsoft made many people very rich. Did I read correctly that he has no spouse or children....and only a sister as a close relative?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Dam. That Non-Hodgkins Lymphona sucks. My friend's brother just passed away from it last year. He, like Allen, thought he was in remission and then it came back with a vengeance and took him quickly.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Dam. That Non-Hodgkins Lymphona sucks. My friend's brother just passed away from it last year. He, like Allen, thought he was in remission and then it came back with a vengeance and took him quickly.

Diseases are such a frustrating thing. You can have been the kindest human alive or even a little child and it will still come and kick your ass

Everyone L.I.P. Now before they label you R.I.P.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully he did the right thing and left his ridiculous amount of wealth to worthy causes.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Hopefully he did the right thing and left his ridiculous amount of wealth to worthy causes.

He left it all to me
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

The wealth fund will continue to be managed by Vulcan Ventures. An interesting story that isn't unknown to locals here, but seems to have pretty much stayed out of the national spotlight, Paul hired one of his neighbors (Billy) that he met at a local cafe in Medina (Seattle's version of Bel Air over on the Eastside) to manage investment decisions for Vulcan Ventures when Billy was only 25 years old. Billy will continue to manage Vulcan Ventures.

His sister has long been the CEO of Vulcan Inc, the parent company, as well as his foundation. I've no clue what's going on over at Vulcan Real Estate (Which owns 80% of some of the most valuable downtown Rea lEstate in Seattle - South Lake Union), or Vulcan Sports (that manages the Seahawks and Trail Blazers). My guess is that his nephew Duncan ends up in some capacity at the sports division since he's a huge Hawks fan, and has been active with the group bringing a Hockey team to town and is trying to get a new Sonics Franchise. But that's just a blind guess.

But the bottom line is the money will continue to be invested, managed, and donated as it has been for the past decade.

The world just lost a really good and decent human being...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject:

So pleasant to see the outpouring of respect flowing in from all over the Northwest. Northwest Pride!

A pioneer. A visionary. A good man

Quote:
A pioneer. A visionary. A good man. Paul Allen was all of these things and more. He will truly be missed. My deepest condolences are with his family and friends.
John Legere

Quote:
“Paul was a person who pushed so many intellectual envelopes and expanded human knowledge, and his legacy will live beyond bricks and mortar,”
Washington state Governor Jay Inslee

Quote:
“I’ll miss him greatly. His gracious leadership and tremendous inspiration will never be forgotten. The world is a better place because of Paul’s passion, commitment, and selflessness. His legacy will live on forever.”
Seahawks coach Pete Carroll

Quote:
“It would be difficult to overstate the influence of Paul Allen on our community, and his impact on our collective history.
King County Executive Dow Constantine.

Quote:

RIP to my dear friend (& killer guitar player) Paul Allen. Your genius & generosity has & will forever be felt by mankind.
— Quincy Jones

Quote:
I just lost a dear, brilliant, talented friend of two-plus decades. His real legacy will be the ongoing brain research he has supported. But he also rocked on guitar! Goodbye, Paul Allen.
— Harry Shearer

Quote:

Paul Allen was our community's 12th man. He sought to meet the needs of today while also looking to the future. He made his name in tech, but knew the healing power of sports, music and the arts. It's up to us to steward his legacy
Ana Mari Cauce

Quote:
Rest In Peace Paul Allen. Thank you for everything! You will be missed. My prayers go to the entire Allen family.
— Tyler Lockett

Quote:
Thank you for being you, @PaulGAllen. Grateful I had the chance to know you.
— Doug Baldwin Jr

Quote:
I will be always thankful for @PaulGAllen’s generosity and his kind heart. He was a genius, and genuine person, who cared about humanity all over the world and it was an honor to be able to learn from and be around such a great leader
Michael Bennett
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: