2018 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 185, 186, 187 ... 332, 333, 334  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject:

LA vs. Boston Trifecta this year. Dodgers/Sox, Rams/Pats, Lakers/Celtics
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:
^I hate them too but would like to rematch them and beat em in the WS.

I'm sure the dodgers wanted revenge against the Cardinals...and then the Cards beat them. Sometimes you just dont match up well with a team, sometimes you have emotional baggage.

Revenge is overrated anyway...Just win the thing any way you can.

One of the huge issues against the Cardinals is Kershaw really struggled with them. Since 2013 Kershaw is 0-4 in the playoffs against that team and 9-3 against everyone else.

If it wasn’t for the horrific game 5 in the World Series I would defend him more. I saw commentary calling game 5 of this series the biggest of his career. I STRONGLY disagree. It was game 5 of the World Series. If he wins that he probably has a ring already. Game 5 of this series gets him closer to a ring, but I still don’t even know who will win this series yet.

Houston and Boston are both loaded so I don’t see one team clearly being an easier matchup than the other.

The Red Sox pitching is shaky. Sale has not been the same since coming off the DL Eovaldi is hot or cold and Pricehas been horrible in big games. Porchella hasn't been the same since his Cy Young year. And Rodriguez maybe damaged goods. While Kimbrel has been arguably the best closer in the game the past 2 years he has lost command of his fastball and as you saw today is busy making a shaky Jansen look like prime Mariano Rivera. Their offnese and defense especially outfield defense is superb though. I would rather face the Sox than the Astros because I think their pitching is a greater defect.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject:

^I thought that too but that Red Sox offense is loaded. They are making the Astros pitchers look pretty ordinary and they just won 3 in a row in spite of the pitching disadvantage. Will they make the Dodgers pitchers look bad?

They also embarrassed the Yankees (who also won 100 games).

I’m not thrilled with either matchup. Wish we could face the Orioles instead.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
^I thought that too but that Red Sox offense is loaded. They are making the Astros pitchers look pretty ordinary and they just won 3 in a row in spite of the pitching disadvantage. Will they make the Dodgers pitchers look bad?

We'd lose that series to the O's.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

^ This.

This year's Dodgers just don't seem to show up for, or take lesser competition seriously. Just look at how they fared against the Marlins and Reds. Those kind of performances nearly cost them the division, and quite possibly the playoffs.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Much props to Clayton Kershaw for a fantastic effort in a big spot today.

Getting out of that 3rd inning only allowing one run was outstanding work.

Player of the game

Glad to hear the props. On the other hand . . . you'd think, by reading some of the posts during this game, that Kershaw was the reincarnation of Brandon McCarthy.

Totally man. And I'm definitely guilty of jumping on him.

It's just I've seen the same movie too many times that when he walked the pitcher, thought disaster was incoming.

Glad he worked out of that and got back to the Kershaw we're used to seeing in the regular season.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Houston just had a 2 run HR taken away....karma from last year?

That was a BRUTALLY bad call.

That was the correct call. Betts had that ball, but a fans hand closed his glove. It's as if they touched the ball itself.

They've already put the fan's name out there. Will he end up being another Steve Bartman and have to go into hiding? I watched the replay and the best angle from Mookie's back sure makes it look like all three of those guys were reaching into the field to snag it. It looks like the guy in grey, not the guy in the Astros shirt whose getting all the blame, interfered with Mookie's glove first.

Like this quote from the umpire who made the fan interference call.

Quote:
Asked if they needed more cameras in the park to be able to see the best angles, Hinch deadpanned, "Yeah, earlier we started the day with, 'Do we have too many cameras in the park," a reference to the sign-stealing controversy that engulfed the pregame conversation.

Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

^ This.

This year's Dodgers just don't seem to show up for, or take lesser competition seriously. Just look at how they fared against the Marlins and Reds. Those kind of performances nearly cost them the division, and quite possibly the playoffs.

Maybe that’s what happens when you win the division every year. Harder to get up for those regular season games especially if they aren’t even in September. Last year the team won 104 games and it still didn’t come with a World Series win.

Also fwiw the team recently swept the Giants in SF and outscored them 28-7.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

^ This.

Maybe that’s what happens when you win the division every year. Harder to get up for those regular season games especially if they aren’t even in September. Last year the team won 104 games and it still didn’t come with a World Series win.

Also fwiw the team recently swept the Giants in SF and outscored them 28-7.

Good points.

If I recall correctly, last season I believe, or possibly the year prior, the Dodgers chewed up the dogs but struggled against the better teams. That is why, when I noticed the opposite trend towards the end of this season--that the Dodgers record down the stretch against the better clubs was quite impressive--that this was an angle for optimism.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:

Revenge is what the best rivalries are made of. Not overrated but soooo much sweeter and much much more interesting.

After the Celts whooped the Kobe/Pau Lakers and Paul Pierce talking all that trash. Would you have rather the lakers beat up Orlando 4-1 again?

Or wasn't Beating the Celtics in a highly competitive, ultra emotional epic series Game 7 soooo much sweeter?

How bout when Magic hit the baby hook IN BOSTON GARDEN a year after Birds Hated Celts killed em?
Or would you not care either way if they woulda just beaten Washington?

For me, I LOVE that we got revenge on the Celtics!

I can hardly even remember the Orlando championship, but EVERYONE remembers getting revenge on the Celtics.

Last years Game 5 I can't get out of my head for some reason, and I bet that many of the players feel the same way. Beating the Astros would be sweet as hell.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject:

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:

Revenge is what the best rivalries are made of. Not overrated but soooo much sweeter and much much more interesting.

After the Celts whooped the Kobe/Pau Lakers and Paul Pierce talking all that trash. Would you have rather the lakers beat up Orlando 4-1 again?

Or wasn't Beating the Celtics in a highly competitive, ultra emotional epic series Game 7 soooo much sweeter?

How bout when Magic hit the baby hook IN BOSTON GARDEN a year after Birds Hated Celts killed em?

I can hardly even remember the Orlando championship, but EVERYONE remembers getting revenge on the Celtics.

Last years Game 5 I can't get out of my head for some reason, and I bet that many of the players feel the same way. Beating the Astros would be sweet as hell.

Of course, there's always an element of "be careful what you wish for", but for me, as a fan, I'd prefer the easier matchup if it's obvious that there is such a thing. I was happy as hell when Orlando upset the Cavs in the playoffs in 2009. And when Andre Agassi was in the prime of his career, I was always happy when he got to a final and there was a surprising finalist opposing him, instead of, say, Pete Sampras (see Arnaud Clement or Rainer Schuettler at the Australian Open).

I hate losing, so whatever gives me an easier path, I'll take it. That doesn't mean that it isn't that much sweeter if you do vanquish the hated rival. Of course, it is. But I'd rather take the easier matchup, if there is one. That said, the Dodgers are going to be underdogs if they reach the World Series, so either matchup would be extremely tough.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject:

as a fan you'd prefer an easier matchup?

Well, i guess we'll be disagreeing then. I'll take the matchup that's more meaningful. ie. Go Big or Go home style.

That said, I'm not even sure if Houston is the tougher matchup and like you said we're the underdogs either way, so I'll go with the sweeter revenge angle.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject:

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
as a fan you'd prefer an easier matchup?

Well, i guess we'll be disagreeing then. I'll take the matchup that's more meaningful. ie. Go Big or Go home style.

That said, I'm not even sure if Houston is the tougher matchup and like you said we're the underdogs either way, so I'll go with the sweeter revenge angle.

Yeah, I want to win, and if it's easier to win, fine by me LOL. Again, I remember when Orlando upset LeBron's Cavs in the '09 playoffs. The Cavs were the favorites to win the title. I remember being at an Angel game the night of Orlando's series-clinching win, and looking at my phone as the final minutes unfolded, and I was happy as hell when they won. I knew that there was no way we were going to lose to them. We didn't even really play a great series against Orlando IMO, and with a true perimeter star perhaps they would have beaten us in 3 of the first 4 games, or at least 2 of the first 4. (Remember, we won Game 2 in OT at home after Courtney Lee blew a layup at the buzzer, and won Game 4 in OT in Orlando after we got some late "magic" from D Fish.)

No argument for sure that certain championships are more meaningful, but for me the overriding principle is always winning titles.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject:

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:

Just wanted to point out that according to Doc Rivers, we didn't beat the Celtics because Porkins was out. LOL.

But in all seriousness, I am all for revenge. I love to beat the crap out of Houston. Of course winning the WS in itself is great but if we beat Houston then it would feel much better for me.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject:

^
Fox has to be salivating over a possible Dodgers-Red Sox World Series matchup.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
but for me the overriding principle is always winning titles.

I really wanna just say 'fair enough' and move on. LOL

anyways turning my attention back rooting for the NLCS title tomorrow and opening night tonight.

I may or may not bring this up again if/when we clinch and if the RSox & Braves go 7.

Cheers
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Fox has to be salivating over a possible Dodgers-Red Sox World Series matchup.

Agreed.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject:

[/quote]Just wanted to point out that according to Doc Rivers, we didn't beat the Celtics because Porkins was out. LOL..[/quote]

Ughhhh See what I mean!!! LOL

DOESN'T THAT JUST PISS YOU THE EFF OFF!!! lol

Gurriel made that horrible slant eye gesture last year. Uggghhhh.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

I prefer revenge. But I’ve also never seen the Dodgers win it all before (I was alive in 1988 but didn’t watch baseball until 1992). Watching the Lakers win it all for the first time in 2000 was the happiest I had ever been as a sports fan (I didn’t watch the Lakers win in 1988 either; what a year that must have been for LA sports fans).
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Orlando was 2-0 in the regular season against the 2000 Lakers. Cleveland was 0-2 but would have the home court edge. I wasn’t sure which team would be easier/harder to play. Outside of Lebron the Cavs roster didn’t look impressive and I thought Orlando had more talent surrounding their biggest star.

The Cavs picked up Shaq the next year to help against Dwight Howard and Gasol/Bynum and that team played the Lakers much tougher in the regular season matchups (but still collapsed in the playoffs anyway).
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject:

looks like Red Sox so far...they lead 4 zip thru 6
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Wow. I didn’t see Houston losing 4 in a row after game 1.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Devers and Jackie Bradley Jr. Coming up big in the series
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Dodgers will be a bigger underdog recordwise than the 1988 Dodgers team if they make the World Series.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Dodgers will be a bigger underdog recordwise than the 1988 Dodgers team if they make the World Series.

Put me down for "easiest matchup". Lakers-Celtics or Dodgers-Yankees produce way too much anxiety. I prefer to be able to root for my team, but not get an ulcer if they don't win.

Having said all that, I wanted the Astros to win because they don't have any dominant lefties.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 185, 186, 187 ... 332, 333, 334  Next
Page 186 of 334
Jump to: