The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1506, 1507, 1508 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:

daytripper wrote:
I wonder how having Randle will eventually influence AD? Apparently they are very tight.

Anyway I understand their FA logic but would still strongly prefer our homegrown Jules over the likes of KCP/Lance/Beasley. They could've worked out the $ situation next summer if someone like KD/Kawhi actually did want to sign here. We watched Jules break his leg in his first ever NBA game and work his tail off the past 3 years to become a legit player... who knows he could become a possible all star in his own right if he keeps working which which seems like a foregone conclusion to me but I'm one of his biggest fans. It just blows that he's not going to do it with the Lakers.

I know I'm probably in the minority and most fans will just say they got LeBron so get over it...I just feel like Magic had already made up his mind on Jules before last season even started which is why his minutes were so erratic.

The Lakers are scrambling trying to find someone that fits what Julius gave them, but they aren't. They're playing Kuzma at the center for crying out loud.

Everything the Lakers are missing right now, they had in Julius, and Beasley, Lance and McGee and center Kuzma don't fill that void.

Anyone can go "they got LeBron now" but it wasn't a trade off. We could have had both. It wasn't "Julius or LeBron" as we very well could have had both, and they very obviously could have played on in the same lineups and on the same team.

For as much as people screamed about "small ball positionless" over the season, for some reason they like to act like Jules couldn't have been run alongside LeBron at the small ball 5.

Here's your lineup

Lonzo Ball
Josh Hart
Brandon Ingram
LeBron James
Julius Randle

Or you can run Ingram at the 1 and Lonzo at the 2 and you go with this

Brandon Ingram
Lonzo Ball
Kyle Kuzma
LeBron James
Julius Randle

There's many areas where Julius could have fit in.

What the FO did was very simple.

They jerked Julius around all season, they lied to him about "if you do this you will be rewarded", so that when he went above and beyond, they still tried to punish/diminish him and lower his value so they could try to cheapskate him during the off-season.

That's the reason you had Luke trying to act like Larry was a better player than him when everyone not deluding themselves, knew otherwise.

They were hoping Julius wouldn't have a breakout year cause they didn't want to pay him cause they were eyes on the max the year after the next.

Instead of assuming that one of their home grown talent could play at that level they were laser focused on ones we didn't have.

Julius was the heart and soul of our team, he was the enforcer, he was the hustle guy, he was the guy that would run up on another team's player to not mess with us, he was the guy who would discourage point guards with his defense, he was the rebounder, he was capable of getting his own shot and being super efficient at it, and he was capable of overpowering another team's player into submission. He was our Draymond, with a MUCH higher upside on the offensive side of the ball. And they refused to acknowledge it cause they were so laser focused on a free agency two years away instead of appreciating what they had in front of them. Say what you will about Mitch, but that wouldn't have happened. It wouldn't have happened under Jerry either(both of them).

This kind of underhanded "shark" stuff, is the kind of things we expect from other teams, but the Lakers prided themselves for years on taking care of their own, so what they did with Julius last year was a slap in the face of that standard, particularly as they promised him the very opposite of what they gave him when he went above and beyond what they asked.

Those hard fought games we had when it went down to tooth and nail and gut check times, Julius was one of the main guys that pulled us through it.

When you got a young player like that, whom is committed to constantly getting better, you take off the "But the max two years from now" glasses and actually do what you said you'd do and reward him for taking his game to the next level.

They however seemed intent on trying to snake their way around his season so they could short change him during the off-season. It didn't work, and when the time came to show their true colors, they did, so Julius bet on himself because they refused to, even after he'd proven them wrong.

That is on the FO, not Julius. And we'll miss what he brought to this team, and if you look at the kind of lineups they're trying out there in their attempts to try to replace what he gave, they already are.
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject:

[quote="daytripper"]I wonder how having Randle will eventually influence AD? Apparently they are very tight.

Anyway I understand their FA logic but would still strongly prefer our homegrown Jules over the likes of KCP/Lance/Beasley. They could've worked out the $ situation next summer if someone like KD/Kawhi actually did want to sign here. We watched Jules break his leg in his first ever NBA game and work his tail off the past 3 years to become a legit player... who knows he could become a possible all star in his own right if he keeps working which which seems like a foregone conclusion to me but I'm one of his biggest fans. It just blows that he's not going to do it with the Lakers.

I know I'm probably in the minority and most fans will just say they got LeBron so get over it...I just feel like Magic had already made up his mind on Jules before last season even started which is why his minutes were so erratic.[/quote]

I'd be seriously concerned with Randle influencing AD's decision if I thought the Pels would be trading AD anytime soon. As is, I don't think they even feel like they need to. Also - as long as AD is signed with Klutch and not Mintz, I feel like we'll be in play even if the chances are miniscule.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
pokoy wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
What was the endgame had we kept him as an RFA (assuming market conditions would've allowed it)? He gains UFA status the year after taking the QO.

So, he plays here another year, then likely leaves. The Lakers lose another year's worth of minutes invested in him, minutes that could've been used to develop lineups that will actually be used in the future. If he does well enough to keep him, the catch-22 is he would be less inclined to stay.

One side benefit of letting him walk, if our top 3 2019 targets spurn the P&G like PG in '18, Randle would be more receptive to a sales pitch should our FO approach him hat in hand. That's assuming he does get that elusive jumper in his repertoire.

This past July, keeping Randle possibly leads to McGee signing elsewhere, not to mention the cap hold in place would preclude signing either KCP or Rondo w/ Lance. If Kawhi had been traded here, the Lakers get their 2nd targeted star, and stringing Randle along another year may have been worth it. Since Kawhi wasn't dealt here, and Randle isn't our first priority in 2019, it was wise to move on - for now anyway.

I don't know that I disagree much except with one point - please don't insult the collective intelligence of LG.com by arguing for the valuable "minutes investment" in JaVale McGee, Michael Beasley, and Kyle Kuzma at C that would have been lost in bringing back the superior Randle for this season.

That right there is the main point.

I was trying to be diplomatic.

Not very diplomatic of us to force a player to play for $13 million less guaranteed money after refusing to commit to him long term. Even if Julius had blinked and taken the QO quickly, he's less motivated to buy in than McGee or even Beasley who are here of their own volition. His only motivation would be playing for himself, especially during any potential adversity.

More likely that he waits us out as Marcus Smart did in Boston, or the Pelicans sign him to an offer sheet anyway and he takes the guaranteed money. By putting him in that situation, we'd be at odds with potential free agents without any guarantee of keeping him anyway. Either way he's definitely gone had he played here on the QO against his will. This way, the Pelicans can't keep him if he does what he needs to do to be a better fit here.

TT only fit with LeBron when he was grabbing offensive rebounds at a high rate, otherwise he was useless on offense and hurt spacing. You can't sag off good offensive rebounders, gotta keep a body on them defensively, and this keeps defenders from cheating too far over in help and thus cutting off driving lanes. Randle isn't a prolific offensive rebounder. Also Ingram couldn't start next to him and LeBron unless one moves almost exclusively off ball. Too much usage, not enough off ball guys. Ingram has already struggled to get his shots with LeBron on the floor.

McGee has a shot at some or all of our exception money if he plays well, I don't consider minutes invested in him to be a waste. Kuzma at C was a preseason experiment, most regular season lineups with Kuzma and LeBron as the bigs will feature LBJ at C.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject:

This still hurts... What a blunder by our FO.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject:

Not only was Randle our best young talent.

You could argue that he, Embiid and Jokic were also the three best players from the 2014 NBA Draft. And in a draft that was topped by Wiggins, Jabari Parker and Joel Embiid and as hyped as it was.. that is saying something.

Yet the Lakers couldn't see the forest for the trees cause they were so tied up on "two free agencies from now."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject:

I miss you Jules.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Not only was Randle our best young talent.

You could argue that he, Embiid and Jokic were also the three best players from the 2014 NBA Draft. And in a draft that was topped by Wiggins, Jabari Parker and Joel Embiid and as hyped as it was.. that is saying something.

Yet the Lakers couldn't see the forest for the trees cause they were so tied up on "two free agencies from now."

It's digusting. So dumb and arrogant on our part
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers hadn't released Randle, the Pels offer him at least $9M on the shortest possible offer sheet with a final year player option(4y/36M IIRC). Randle probably signs this offer sheet rather than risk playing under the QO with just $5M guaranteed (especially considering the QO puts him on the team who is holding him hostage, likely as a one year stopgap).

Had the FO matched the offer, "making the money work" and signing a superstar in '19 would mean either moving Randle's salary or Lonzo's, if not Ingram's. Kawhi or Klay aren't taking significantly less than the max, and certainly not more than $5 million under it. Butler/DMC neither.

After PG declined our meeting and the Spurs hung up the phone, a championship roster couldn't be built this offseason. Randle (likely off the bench if McGee signs) doesn't make this team a contender, especially after Cousins' self-described "chess move".

If Randle really was our best young talent and shows it, then he won't be back in New Orleans (no bird rights if he opts out), and he'll have the Lakers to thank for giving him a second contract year in what was obviously a great situation for him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
If the Lakers hadn't released Randle, the Pels offer him at least $9M on the shortest possible offer sheet with a final year player option(4y/36M IIRC). Randle probably signs this offer sheet rather than risk playing under the QO with just $5M guaranteed (especially considering the QO puts him on the team who is holding him hostage, likely as a one year stopgap).

Considering the amount of money people were worried about Randle getting paid in the off-season given his performance for us. A 4 year 36M sheet would have been a BARGAIN for us to match in a heartbeat. Particularly as our best young player.

Randle was the kind of player and talent that takes the kind of team we have right now over the top, and helps us win games like last night. Those little things add up in the long run.

Consider the passing we'd have had 1-4 with Lonzo, LeBron, Randle and Ingram and how many open shots there'd be to go around.

Then think about the death lineup with LeBron at the 4 and Randle at the 5, and Kuzma NOT having to play the 5 at all and being able to stay in his 3/4 role he excelled in last season...

Yeah I'd take that for 9M a year, and 9M A year for Randle if the Pels offered him that on a 4 year deal would have been one of the greatest bargains the Lakers could have asked for as an offer sheet to match.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Exactly and it wouldn't have been hard for the Lakers to clear $5M of cap space to sign another superstar next season lol.

Boston had no problems making room for hayward when they technically had no space

Last edited by 22 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Exactly and it wouldn't have been hard for the Lakers to clear $5M of cap space to sign anouther superstar next season lol.

Boston had no problems making room for hayward when they technically had no space

Honestly, it's the Deng/Moz deal that killed Jules's chance.

Without Deng, there really was a way to keep Jules on a 12-14m/year deal long term, which would have been enough IMO.

I really wanted him back, but I also understand the team's desire to get 2 max FAs too.

The mistakes of 2016 still haunt us today.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Exactly and it wouldn't have been hard for the Lakers to clear $5M of cap space to sign another superstar next season lol.

If Randle had signed for $9 million a year and we matched, 4 of our top 13 roster spots would be filled by vet min players in 2019 after we made room for a $32 Million player, while two others could split the MLE.

Wagner, Svi, Bonga, and all upcoming 2019 picks would be let go in order to clear salary to sign one of Klay/Kawhi/Butler/DMC. That's a lot of depth and flexibility sacrificed to keep Randle, whose offensive role was likely to shrink each year if plan A succeeds. Randle is in a bigger role with the Pels than what we were going to ask of him, if he continues to expand his game the Lakers will be watching.

The beauty of it is, even if plan A fails now, we can pay Randle more than NO this coming summer, keep most young players, and still have about $20 million to play with, and a full MLE.

MJST wrote:
Consider the passing we'd have had 1-4 with Lonzo, LeBron, Randle and Ingram and how many open shots there'd be to go around.

Then think about the death lineup with LeBron at the 4 and Randle at the 5, and Kuzma NOT having to play the 5 at all and being able to stay in his 3/4 role he excelled in last season...

That's a lot of usage in one lineup without having anyone who gets a majority of their looks off the ball. Reminds me of Minnesota with less shooting, and still no help defense at the rim. Wiggins saw his scoring average drop by ~ 5 points last season with Butler. If we had both Randle and McGee, Randle would likely come off the bench.

Your hypothetical lineup is still better than Luke's, as all the playmakers were starting last night, while 3 of 4 spot-up shooters were on the bench with one play initiator (Lance) and one facilitator (Zo). Luke is handcuffed by Zo's conditioning, but he needs to start ASAP.

Yinoma and others nailed it, we are still paying for mistakes by the previous FO. Randle was the worst casualty.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
22 wrote:

If Randle had signed for $9 million a year and we matched, 4 of our top 13 roster spots would be filled by vet min players in 2019 after we made room for a $32 Million player, while two others could split the MLE.

Wagner, Svi, Bonga, and all upcoming 2019 picks would be let go in order to clear salary to sign one of Klay/Kawhi/Butler/DMC. That's a lot of depth and flexibility sacrificed to keep Randle, whose offensive role was likely to shrink each year if plan A succeeds. Randle is in a bigger role with the Pels than what we were going to ask of him, if he continues to expand his game the Lakers will be watching.

The beauty of it is, even if plan A fails now, we can pay Randle more than NO this coming summer, keep most young players, and still have about $20 million to play with, and a full MLE.

MJST wrote:

That's a lot of usage in one lineup without having anyone who gets a majority of their looks off the ball. Reminds me of Minnesota with less shooting, and still no help defense at the rim. Wiggins saw his scoring average drop by ~ 5 points last season with Butler. If we had both Randle and McGee, Randle would likely come off the bench.

Your hypothetical lineup is still better than Luke's, as all the playmakers were starting last night, while 3 of 4 spot-up shooters were on the bench with one play initiator (Lance) and one facilitator (Zo). Luke is handcuffed by Zo's conditioning, but he needs to start ASAP.

Yinoma and others nailed it, we are still paying for mistakes by the previous FO. Randle was the worst casualty.
\

Quote:

Really?

25. What are salary cap exceptions?

Quote:

ROOM MID-LEVEL EXCEPTION -- This exception is available only to teams that drop far enough below the cap to use cap room, and therefore lose their Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level and Taxpayer Mid-Level exceptions (see question number 26). This exception cannot be used if the team already has used the Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level or Taxpayer Mid-Level exception. This exception becomes available once the team salary drops far enough that the team loses its other exceptions, and expires following the last day of the regular season. It allows a team to sign any free agent to a contract with a starting salary up to the following

26. How do exceptions count against the cap? Does being under the cap always mean that a team has room to sign free agents? Do teams ever lose their exceptions?

Quote:

If a team is below the cap, then its Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level (either the Taxpayer or Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level, whichever applies to the team) and/or trade exceptions are added to their team salary, and the league treats the team as though they are over the cap1. This is to prevent a loophole, in a manner similar to free agent amounts (see question number 37). A team can't act like it's under the cap and sign free agents using cap room, and then use its Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or trade exceptions. Consequently, the exceptions are added to the team salary (putting the team over the cap) if the team is under the cap and adding the exceptions puts them over the cap. If a team is already over the cap, then the exceptions are not added to their team salary. There would be no point in doing so, since there is no cap room for signing free agents.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

he hit another 3 folks ima go have a cry brb
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject:

This Pelicans offense is unbelievable.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
pokoy wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
What was the endgame had we kept him as an RFA (assuming market conditions would've allowed it)? He gains UFA status the year after taking the QO.

So, he plays here another year, then likely leaves. The Lakers lose another year's worth of minutes invested in him, minutes that could've been used to develop lineups that will actually be used in the future. If he does well enough to keep him, the catch-22 is he would be less inclined to stay.

One side benefit of letting him walk, if our top 3 2019 targets spurn the P&G like PG in '18, Randle would be more receptive to a sales pitch should our FO approach him hat in hand. That's assuming he does get that elusive jumper in his repertoire.

This past July, keeping Randle possibly leads to McGee signing elsewhere, not to mention the cap hold in place would preclude signing either KCP or Rondo w/ Lance. If Kawhi had been traded here, the Lakers get their 2nd targeted star, and stringing Randle along another year may have been worth it. Since Kawhi wasn't dealt here, and Randle isn't our first priority in 2019, it was wise to move on - for now anyway.

I don't know that I disagree much except with one point - please don't insult the collective intelligence of LG.com by arguing for the valuable "minutes investment" in JaVale McGee, Michael Beasley, and Kyle Kuzma at C that would have been lost in bringing back the superior Randle for this season.

That right there is the main point.

I was trying to be diplomatic.

Not very diplomatic of us to force a player to play for $13 million less guaranteed money after refusing to commit to him long term. Even if Julius had blinked and taken the QO quickly, he's less motivated to buy in than McGee or even Beasley who are here of their own volition. His only motivation would be playing for himself, especially during any potential adversity.

More likely that he waits us out as Marcus Smart did in Boston, or the Pelicans sign him to an offer sheet anyway and he takes the guaranteed money. By putting him in that situation, we'd be at odds with potential free agents without any guarantee of keeping him anyway. Either way he's definitely gone had he played here on the QO against his will. This way, the Pelicans can't keep him if he does what he needs to do to be a better fit here.

TT only fit with LeBron when he was grabbing offensive rebounds at a high rate, otherwise he was useless on offense and hurt spacing. You can't sag off good offensive rebounders, gotta keep a body on them defensively, and this keeps defenders from cheating too far over in help and thus cutting off driving lanes. Randle isn't a prolific offensive rebounder. Also Ingram couldn't start next to him and LeBron unless one moves almost exclusively off ball. Too much usage, not enough off ball guys. Ingram has already struggled to get his shots with LeBron on the floor.

McGee has a shot at some or all of our exception money if he plays well, I don't consider minutes invested in him to be a waste. Kuzma at C was a preseason experiment, most regular season lineups with Kuzma and LeBron as the bigs will feature LBJ at C.

Must you also impugn the man's professionalism, too, after seeing what he did following being dicked over by the franchise to start last season? Sure, he pouted one game, then he sucked it up, played his tail off in his role, and regained his starting spot (admittedly on a bad team).

Lastly, you are right about one thing - TT is a better offensive rebounder than Julius. But all of the ways Randle is a superior offensive player to TT - as a ball-handler, passer, occasional perimeter shooter, low-post scorer, and roll man who doesn't have to touch his ass to his ankles to dunk - would obviously have added value next to Lebron and to the team as a whole. Not to mention the value of Julius' defensive rebounding in saving LBJ some wear and tear on his body over an 82+ game season.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
he hit another 3 folks ima go have a cry brb

He would've been the purest shooter on the Lakers
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:

Mirotic is a FA next year. Hmm.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:

People actually thought losing Rondo was gonna hurt them
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Where is Jim with all his Randle slander?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

People actually thought losing Rondo was gonna hurt them

If we shot 34% from 3, we would have had over 130 points.

Rondo had eleven assists... probably should have ended up with 15

New Orleans is looking good... but Rondo also is doing well.

No need to throw shade at someone who could really make a difference during a playoff run. Our shooting and interior defense is the culprit so far... not our point guards.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:

Who ever thunk Julius' shooting would improve? (eyeroll) Mgmt and many fans didn't.
The minute he became a good shooter, he was worth top dollar.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Does he seem fine coming off the bench? Wonder if he would have agreed to that role on the Lakers if they wanted to play LBJ/BI at forward.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Does he seem fine coming off the bench? Wonder if he would have agreed to that role on the Lakers if they wanted to play LBJ/BI at forward.

We'll never know. Minutes may have been more important to him than a starting spot. But why not start him over McGee?
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject:

He's only playing 24 minutes a game in New Orleans and coming off the bench. So I don't think either of those would be an issue. I would guess more than anything he just felt unwanted.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1506, 1507, 1508 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1507 of 1536
Jump to: