G League to offer $125K as alternative to college

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: G League to offer $125K as alternative to college

G League to offer $125K to elite prospects as alternative to college one-and-done route

Quote:
In a move that could challenge the NCAA's monopoly on elite talent, the NBA's G League is creating a new venture as an alternative to the one-and-done route for the best American basketball prospects, it was announced Thursday.

As part of a newly formed professional path starting in the summer of 2019, the G League will offer "Select Contracts" worth $125,000 to elite prospects who are at least 18 years old but not yet eligible for the NBA draft.

LINK

pretty big news.....but it is the right move. I am tired of everyone pretending the NCAA is at the root and is the cause of the corruption taking place with amateur basketball players......the primary cause of the issue has been the NBA and NBAPA preventing players from entering the league out of high school. This should help to some degree.....while still not allowing them into the NBA out of high school, it does allow them to earn a decent wage for a year before they can be drafted.

The solution was never and will never be to pay college athletes.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Excited about this news!! So will there be a G-league draft where the high school players are picked?

Or is it where you get drafted by an NBA team and play in the G-league until you're NBA elgible?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Or is it where you get drafted by an NBA team and play in the G-league until you're NBA elgible?

They could do it a lot of ways. My guess is that the NBA would assign them to a specific G league team but they would not be eligible for the draft until the next season, when they were eligible to play in the NBA.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: G League to offer $125K as alternative to college

Now any projected lotto pick who passes up the G-league for college will be suspected to have received illegal benefits. I still expect there to be corruption, perhaps coaches will conspire with the rankings pundits to keep certain names off the "G-League watch list", and steer them to college for a competitive "salary".

On the NBA side, doubt this will allow winning teams a shot at lottery talent a year early, small market owners wouldn't stand for that. HS players signed by the G-League will be eligible for the draft the following year, rather than simply being called up to their parent club.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: G League to offer $125K as alternative to college

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Now any projected lotto pick who passes up the G-league for college will be suspected to have received illegal benefits. I still expect there to be corruption, perhaps coaches will conspire with the rankings pundits to keep certain names off the "G-League watch list", and steer them to college for a competitive "salary".

On the NBA side, doubt this will allow winning teams a shot at lottery talent a year early, small market owners wouldn't stand for that. HS players signed by the G-League will be eligible for the draft the following year, rather than simply being called up to their parent club.

you are correct, but i think big picture, the NBA actually is exploring a path to making the G League an affordable entertainment option that can some day turn a profit. I would think SB Lakers games would get more crowded if a Zion Williams was playing, right? Or a 18 year old Lebron or Kobe. I am not saying it ever gets to that point, but I think they are exploring the viability of competing with "secondary" entertainment options.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: