Mega Millions 1.6 Billion.. 10.20.18
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is 1.6 Billion Dollars time to buy a lotto ticket just because of the chance?
Yes
84%
 84%  [ 21 ]
No
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 25

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Mega Millions 1.6 Billion.. 10.20.18

I don't lotto

But I'll buy one

Quote:

Mega Millions is played in 44 states as well as Washington, D.C., and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

It costs $2 to play the game, but the odds of winning the jackpot aren't good. The chance of matching all six numbers and taking home the grand prize is one in 302.5 million.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/mega-millions-jackpot-climbs-1-6-billion-after-no-ticket-sold-with-all-winning-numbers-drawing-2018-10-20/
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

I'd drop a double sawski on it if I could
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

if you can spare a few bucks, i say, go for it.

i've hit 4 numbers a couple times in office pools. almost there!
cheapedy
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject:

My GF and I entered a blog contest to win 4 tix to the Aquarium of the Pacific. There were 5 total entries including us.....winner chosen at random....we didn't win!

Don't buy lottery tickets!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject:

I never buy more than 1. I figure you have to play to win......but I figure if your going to be that extremely lucky, you will probably win with 1. (I know the math does not support this theory).
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject:

The odds are pretty bad at winning the mega millions. I mean everyone in the US can probably buy a ticket with their own unique number combination and they can still miss the numbers that come up.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject:

I’ve already spent the winnings.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Does the jump up to 1.6billion mean that people spent over 600M on lotto tickets in the 3-4 days between drawings???
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject:

The odds of winning it are about the same as someone from another country being told that we’ve picked one random person that he has to find. Every ticket is like him walking up to a stranger and asking if they are the person. Your odds go up with each person you ask, but you could do this for a lifetime without getting close.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
The odds are pretty bad at winning the mega millions. I mean everyone in the US can probably buy a ticket with their own unique number combination and they can still miss the numbers that come up.

I think I saw the expected value peaks at $400M, and earnings higher than that actually see diminished expected value (because the odds decrease at a smaller rate).

Of course, expected value is kind of a useless way of looking at it. If you won $100M you'd basically be as well off as if you won $1.6B. So yeah, the math makes no sense to go for a $1.6B ticket.

That said, it is a different matter entirely to argue that the $5 or however much a ticket costs (never bought one in my life) isn't worth the feeling of irrational hope for a week or whatever. I'll spend $5 so I don't have to walk 20 minutes to pick up food, so what's another $5?
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I think I saw the expected value peaks at $400M, and earnings higher than that actually see diminished expected value (because the odds decrease at a smaller rate).http://forums.lakersground.net/viewforum.php?f=19

Of course, expected value is kind of a useless way of looking at it. If you won $100M you'd basically be as well off as if you won $1.6B. So yeah, the math makes no sense to go for a $1.6B ticket.

That said, it is a different matter entirely to argue that the $5 or however much a ticket costs (never bought one in my life) isn't worth the feeling of irrational hope for a week or whatever. I'll spend $5 so I don't have to walk 20 minutes to pick up food, so what's another $5?

If $5 could buy me irrational hope for a week I would do it in a heartbeat and keep it doing in perpetuity if it held the same effect.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Does the jump up to 1.6billion mean that people spent over 600M on lotto tickets in the 3-4 days between drawings???

Each time the lottery rolls over with no winner, the pot gets bigger. Its great marketing and people spend even more money to try to win from the last drawing. I'm not sure how they calculate it so fast after no winners but I guess they see enough income to increase it by 600 million.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The odds of winning it are about the same as someone from another country being told that we’ve picked one random person that he has to find. Every ticket is like him walking up to a stranger and asking if they are the person. Your odds go up with each person you ask, but you could do this for a lifetime without getting close.

And for a real challenge, you'd ask them in alphabetical order.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

nope ill never ever play the lottery. The biggest gamble I'll take is betting a few bucks on the pass line + odds on craps... and thats only if Im getting served comp drinks.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject:

when i win the mega millions, ill buy a suite at a laker game and you're all invited.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I never buy more than 1. I figure you have to play to win......but I figure if your going to be that extremely lucky, you will probably win with 1. (I know the math does not support this theory).

The odds are pretty much the same anyway whether you buy one or several hundred. Either way you’re as close to zero as you can get.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

The odds are pretty much the same anyway whether you buy one or several hundred. Either way you’re as close to zero as you can get.

Yeah, but you have more chances!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
nope ill never ever play the lottery. The biggest gamble I'll take is betting a few bucks on the pass line + odds on craps... and thats only if Im getting served comp drinks.

How would anyone with that attitude ever end up near a craps table?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject:

HOT DAMN!

YES, I'll buy 5. I'm sure there are people who'll carry on about odds, but that's good enough for a F-it Five.

I'll buy 5 just for the daydreams by THEMSELVES!

I gotta find me the nearest 7/11. I actually haven't noticed one where I recently moved to. There aren't a lot of liquor stores where I'm at. It's the cute part of the IE here.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
I'd drop a double sawski on it if I could

1.6 is Devil's triangle and boofing territory.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

To me it seems like the winner is always from Michigan or Pennsylvania. I vaguely recall that there was a Californian who won it once, but I could be wrong.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

To me it seems like the winner is always from Michigan or Pennsylvania. I vaguely recall that there was a Californian who won it once, but I could be wrong.

it was a big PowerBall with like 3 different winners....but I recall the gas station or convenience store in CA was the first identified....and people from the neighborhood gathered at the location celebrating for some reason. Not sure if the winner was actually from the neighborhood. It was in the past 3-5 years if we are referring to the same one.

actually wasn't the last Mega Millions won in July in CA?

States with most Mega Million winners

States with most PowerBall winners
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject:

soon after I graduated college, a local guy in WV won $315 Million in PowerBall. it was one of the biggest jackpots at the time. He was already financially well off. I did not know him personally, but knew several people that knew him fairly well. He bought the ticket less than a mile from my apartment. His life went to total (bleep) after he won.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/11/28/500-million-powerball-jackpot-the-tragic-stories-of-the-lotterys-unluckiest-winners/slide/andrew-jack-whittaker/
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

How would anyone with that attitude ever end up near a craps table?

well thats easy... as a math guy I dont really gamble. But if im in Vegas with the wife I'll hit up a craps table to burn time as its actually a fun game to play with a good table crowd going and comp drinks flowing in. And with playing pass/dont pass with full odds its as safe a bet as you can possibly get.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject:

I spent $4 the other day and may pump it up to $8 now that it is up to $1.6 billion.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: