2018 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 206, 207, 208 ... 332, 333, 334  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

Buehler and Puig brought us home, just huge.

The Red Sox will be tough, but I think we have a pretty significant pitching advantage in this series.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Guaranteed there will be good ratings for this series considering how big each of their fanbases are.
Will be a rematch of the 1916 World Series.

Ok so they did play each other before in the WS I suspected they did.

Wow a rematch 102 years later

Instead of the LA Dodgers it was the Brooklyn Robins.

We could have seen Dodgers-Red Sox in 1988 if Boston somehow pulled off the upset and beat the A’s. Roger Clemens and Orel Hershiser going at each other (not sure what the exact pitching matchups would have been) would have been fun to see.

Last edited by Steve007 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Brief video of the 1916 World Series.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2SOspaaOQPQ
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Jansen didn’t even throw much today, didn’t throw the last 2 days, and won’t throw tomorrow. He should be ready for the next series. Baez wasn’t used today either. Kershaw had a very easy inning.

So what does the rotation look like now? Kershaw on Tuesday, Hill on Wednesday and Ryu at Dodger Stadium in game 3? Buehler could also pitch game 3.

I would throw Buehler in Game 3 for sure. You don't want to line him up for potentially only 1 start in the entire series. Get him in for Game 3, and then not only is he lined up for a Game 7, but maybe for a potential relief appearance in a Game 6 on three days' rest. Kershaw is definitely going in Game 1. So that just leaves Hill and Ryu for Games 2 and 4. Whichever one you start in Game 4 is going to be that guy's only start of the series, most likely, although you could potentially come back with your Game 4 starter on three days' rest to pitch a short stint in a Game 7, especially if Buehler is called on in a Game 6. But if you start Ryu in Game 2 (on regular rest, by the way), that means that, once again, he won't get a start at Dodger Stadium. I'm really not sure how I'd play it.

Kershaw is going game 1. I'm guessing Hill game 2. He's familiar with Boston having played for them and he's comfortable in Fenway. Game 3 or 4 would be Buehler and Ryu. I'd want Ryu pitching in Dodger Stadium. There's got to be some consideration to a pitcher's comfort level at an arena.

Curious to see if there's any changes to the roster for the World Series. Any way they consider Alex Verdugo for a roster spot? They need to have some players find a way to get on base with their at bat instead of swinging for the fences.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject:

The Dodger website is saying they are weighing Hill for game one and Kershaw for game two. Interesting.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm. Kershaw in game 1 also gives us him in games 5 and 7 if needed. Yes he’s on short rest for game 1 but he’s really only pitched one inning over the week between game 5 and game 1 (Wednesday - Tuesday). I say go kershaw in game 1, Hill in game 2, buehler 3 and Ryu 4. Then kershaw/hill/walker for 5/6/7. Ryu can even start game 7 with walker out the pen (since Ryu can’t come out the pen).
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Hmmm. Kershaw in game 1 also gives us him in games 5 and 7 if needed. Yes he’s on short rest for game 1 but he’s really only pitched one inning over the week between game 5 and game 1 (Wednesday - Tuesday). I say go kershaw in game 1, Hill in game 2, buehler 3 and Ryu 4. Then kershaw/hill/walker for 5/6/7. Ryu can even start game 7 with walker out the pen (since Ryu can’t come out the pen).

I don't like Kershaw on short rest in any scenario.

I would go with Hill in Game 1.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Kershaw is on normal rest in a Game 1. He only threw, what, 15 pitches on Saturday? That would've been the day for his bullpen session anyway. He should be fine. They have essentially already said that Ryu is going in Game 2 and Buehler is going in Game 3. So it sounds like it will be Kershaw/Ryu/Buehler/Hill. I've said it before, but I still am not sure if not starting Ryu at Dodger Stadium is the smartest idea.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject:

^^^ Christ I'm nervous as F for this series man. More so than last season for whatever reason. Probably the Lakers/Celtics rivalry leaking over into baseball.

BUCK FOSTON!
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject:

SI's experts are split, I actually expected a majority would pick the Red Sox.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Kershaw is on normal rest in a Game 1. He only threw, what, 15 pitches on Saturday? That would've been the day for his bullpen session anyway. He should be fine. They have essentially already said that Ryu is going in Game 2 and Buehler is going in Game 3. So it sounds like it will be Kershaw/Ryu/Buehler/Hill. I've said it before, but I still am not sure if not starting Ryu at Dodger Stadium is the smartest idea.

It was also a very easy inning for Kershaw. No baserunners, a 4 run lead, no hitter really gave him much trouble, and he didn’t even face Yelich. It wasn’t a situation with a lot of pressure on him; hard to see how that takes much out of him. It might even make him sharper.

Kershaw has actually had some decent starts in the postseason on 3 days rest and this isn’t even short rest in my opinion. I was more disappointed in some of his starts when he had extra time to rest.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject:

Ryu’s last couple of starts (which were on the road btw) make me feel less comfortable with him. I don’t like starting him at Fenway in a hitters park against an even better offense. I’m not sure how significant the stats are but even in the playoffs he has been much better at home. I’d start him in game 4, go with Hill in game 2, have Buehler start games 3 and 7 and start Kershaw in game 1 so he can be used in games 5 and 7.

Kershaw has had great success the last couple of times he pitched in a game 7 on short rest. Last year he pitched 4 scoreless innings against the Astros. Even if you think he chokes as a starter he has done well as a reliever (lol, kind of reminds me of David Price except Price has been much worse as a starter).

The bullpen is so important in a game 7 and it’s so useful to have an extra guy that can go a few innings if needed, especially with the chance of the other bullpen guys possibly being out of gas. And I’d hate to have the possibility of losing the series in 5 games with Kershaw only pitching once.

Hill does have a 2.85 era in the postseason with the Dodgers though. But that’s a reason I’d have him start game 2 instead of game 4.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Ryu’s last couple of starts (which were on the road btw) make me feel less comfortable with him. I don’t like starting him at Fenway in a hitters park against an even better offense. I’m not sure how significant the stats are but even in the playoffs he has been much better at home. I’d start him in game 4, go with Hill in game 2, have Buehler start games 3 and 7 and start Kershaw in game 1 so he can be used in games 5 and 7.

Kershaw has had great success the last couple of times he pitched in a game 7 on short rest. Last year he pitched 4 scoreless innings against the Astros. Even if you think he chokes as a starter he has done well as a reliever (lol, kind of reminds me of David Price except Price has been much worse as a starter).

The bullpen is so important in a game 7 and it’s so useful to have an extra guy that can go a few innings if needed, especially with the chance of the other bullpen guys possibly being out of gas. And I’d hate to have the possibility of losing the series in 5 games with Kershaw only pitching once.

Hill does have a 2.85 era in the postseason with the Dodgers though. But that’s a reason I’d have him start game 2 instead of game 4.

Agree with all of this. I feel much better having Kershaw go game 1 with him available for 5 and 7. And also dont want to worry about Ryu at Fenway. Hill is a bleepin' gamer so I would love him in game 2; Walker too but I don't think he will be on full rest by then so let's save him for home game 1.

Boston is on fire right now but we are heating up as well. I wonder which team will have the bigger advantage/disadvantage with AL/NL rules considering how deep we both are. Mookie is incredible and I'm sure he'll be just as good at 2b when the series comes to LA.

I just hope JT heats ups and Cody/Puig/Freese stay hot. Joc/Kemp/Kike/Muncy are all due too. Just please no Yaz aside from a pinch hit when everyone else has been used already lol.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject:

Looks like Kershaw 1 and Hill 2 for this one boys. I like it.

This is going to be a wild WS. I believe this is gonna go 7.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:

Wow, me too. This excites me.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject:

I hope it goes 6. I will be in Boston during games 6/7 and wanna go. I hope I dont have to go to 2 games because another game 7, this time in person, would probably take a few years off my life

I'm on the fence about getting a game 5 and game 6 ticket now so I can see Kershaw at least once.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Buck32 wrote:

Wow, me too. This excites me.

You mean just like how the “experts” on ESPN picked the Lakers over the Celtics prior to 2008 finals even tho Celtics were a better team? It’s ESPN’s way to anti-jinx so to speak. Red Sox clearly is the better team heading into the series. Dodger fans should be embrace the underdog role, I am, cuz to me this team has overachieved this year with all the injuries and poor managing, so if they actually pull one out it’ll be a pleasant surprise.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject:

I think the Dodgers are better than their record indicates. We struggled injury wise and didn't really heat up until the end of the season, and even though just about everything didn't go to plan we still advanced past the Brewers.

Call the Red Sox favorites if you want, but our team is capable of beating anyone. I don't think there is a team out there with the same depth and versatility, that could be big in this series.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject:

First time pitching in Fenway for Kershaw.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:

I thought he said he pitched there once ..
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

I heard on the radio that he has been there once but he never pitched there.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

I heard on the radio that he has been there once but he never pitched there.

Maybe that was it --- Go Kersh
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Most of the team is the same one that won 104 games last year. Except this year our pitching roster has improved despite our miserable W-L record for our starting pitchers.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

I'm thinking (and hoping) that Machado will play a big role in getting LA up to speed with Boston's pitching. Given that he played against them for many years. Manny also has a history with the Red Sox, so hopefully he goes off against them.

Go Dodgers!

Sincerly

Yankees fan
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject:

The Dodgers started 16-26, but after that were 76-45. At that pace the team would have won 101 or 102 games if they had played that well at the beginning of the season.

The Dodgers had a 16-26 record after 42 games. The Red Sox were 28-14 after 42 games. Much of the big difference in record is because of that.

In the next 120 games the Red Sox were 80-40 and the Dodgers were 75-45 (not counting game number 163). In the playoffs the Red Sox are 7-2 (against two 100 win teams) and the Dodgers are 7-4.

Obviously still a clear edge for Boston, but nowhere near what the difference in overall record suggests. And of course each new opponent presents different matchups, there’s the luck factor, the unpredictability in baseball, etc.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 206, 207, 208 ... 332, 333, 334  Next
Page 207 of 334
Jump to: