6yr old Tuscon boy had nobody show up at his bday *Sun's invited him and family to Lakers game

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: 6yr old Tuscon boy had nobody show up at his bday *Sun's invited him and family to Lakers game

http://www.wafb.com/2018/10/23/shunned-by-classmates-tucson-boy-celebrate-birthday-with-phoenix-suns/

Quote:

The Phoenix Suns offered Teddy and his family tickets to their game against
LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers on Wednesday.

Mazzini said the Suns promised to have plenty of surprises in store for
Teddy’s first NBA game.

Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Damn. That picture of him all alone with all the empty plates around him was pretty sad.

Fat boy kid me would have been secretly happy to take all that pizza home though.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject:

That party will seem like delightful memory after the 2018 Phoenix Suns kill what joy remains inside of that kid.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject:

I could not even read the story. I recall when my daughter had birthday parties when she was little and very few had arrived at the exact starting time......I would feel extreme panic, while her mother always knew that the starting time was when most parents begin to trickle in. It always turned out great.....eventually wanting the stragglers to leave, but I recall that fear. In the end, you just want your kids....and all kids in general to be happy.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
That party will seem like delightful memory after the 2018 Phoenix Suns kill what joy remains inside of that kid.

You want sad, invite the kid to a Warriors vs Suns game....
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Maybe he will become a Lakers fan, after seeing LeBron destroy the Suns
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject:

I find this whole thing rather manipulative by the parents exploiting this for the public to see...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
Damn. That picture of him all alone with all the empty plates around him was pretty sad.

Fat boy kid me would have been secretly happy to take all that pizza home though.

I don't like how that station re-used the old KCAL 9 logo from the 90s, too.

http://www.wafb.com/2018/10/23/shunned-by-classmates-tucson-boy-celebrate-birthday-with-phoenix-suns/

lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject:

I want to know why none of his classmates showed up.There has to be a backstory there.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
I want to know why none of his classmates showed up.There has to be a backstory there.

I didn't have anything close to this situation with Baby Boomer parents. I went to parties, other kids came to mine, etc. I remember big ol parties of upwards of 20 kids. Classmates, teammates, I had friends of friends that became my own friends. You went to other kids' houses on the reg and vice versa. Kids that young aren't usually burdened by popularity issues and I doubt that's the case in this case. It's probably more of a lousy parents problem and maybe an eroding of the ease and/or comfort of interfacing, given some timing/logistics problem we aren't aware of. I have a hard time believing this kid was receiving purposeful Ryan White exclusion from other kids and their parents. Gen X parents are nearly as used to shutting themselves off into their own world of technology as their kids and they didn't call us "slackers" for nothin.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I find this whole thing rather manipulative by the parents exploiting this for the public to see...

My take as well. Why else would the mom post it?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

I didn't have anything close to this situation with Baby Boomer parents. I went to parties, other kids came to mine, etc. I remember big ol parties of upwards of 20 kids. Classmates, teammates, I had friends of friends that became my own friends. You went to other kids' houses on the reg and vice versa. Kids that young aren't usually burdened by popularity issues and I doubt that's the case in this case. It's probably more of a lousy parents problem and maybe an eroding of the ease and/or comfort of interfacing, given some timing/logistics problem we aren't aware of. I have a hard time believing this kid was receiving purposeful Ryan White exclusion from other kids and their parents. Gen X parents are nearly as used to shutting themselves off into their own world of technology as their kids and they didn't call us "slackers" for nothin.

Same experience but I was fortunate that I lived on a street with kids who were close to my age whom I played with regularly.

Reading your post I'm picturing a future where kids have birthday parties over Facetime and play games online while eating their gluten and dairy free cakes.

Getting back to the subject I'm also curious about the backstory. Are people really that rude they would RSVP and then not even bother calling to say they wouldn't attend after all?

Regardless of the reasons there's a little kid's feelings to consider and I give props to the Suns as well as other people everywhere who reached out to him.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject:

Two thoughts here:

1) Wouldn't you have people RSVP so that you would know in advance how many people were showing up?

2) Does that kid really want his parents telling the whole world that he's a loser with no friends?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Two thoughts here:

1) Wouldn't you have people RSVP so that you would know in advance how many people were showing up?

2) Does that kid really want his parents telling the whole world that he's a loser with no friends?

First, no kid that age is a loser....and yes I know that is not what you meant. Also, maybe the same type of parent that would highlight such a lowlight for their child is the same type of parent that would be a poor planner.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Two thoughts here:

First, no kid that age is a loser....and yes I know that is not what you meant. Also, maybe the same type of parent that would highlight such a lowlight for their child is the same type of parent that would be a poor planner.

I like how they ordered all those pizzas before anyone had even showed up.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

Math wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

I'm guessing it's one of two things:

1. The mom is the egotistical-type parent and she feels shame, and she wants to garner sympathy for herself. She wants the world to see all the trouble she went to to prepare and make this happen, so that people will feel like she's the greatest mom in the world and that she and her son are both "victims".

2. The mom is the good-enough-parent-type and she genuinely feels bad for her son, and she feels so much guilt that she's crying out for help because she genuinely wants the best for him and to make him happy.

Many would be surprised how many parents are the egotistical type who always blame stuff like this on others, or on their child when in reality they need to take responsibility for their own actions and outcomes. MANY parents use parenthood as a shield to absolve themselves of any responsibility they may need to burden for their own bad parenting.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject:

99% chance the mom is why no one else showed up.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Math wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

I'm guessing it's one of two things:

1. The mom is the egotistical-type parent and she feels shame, and she wants to garner sympathy for herself. She wants the world to see all the trouble she went to to prepare and make this happen, so that people will feel like she's the greatest mom in the world and that she and her son are both "victims".

2. The mom is the good-enough-parent-type and she genuinely feels bad for her son, and she feels so much guilt that she's crying out for help because she genuinely wants the best for him and to make him happy.

Many would be surprised how many parents are the egotistical type who always blame stuff like this on others, or on their child when in reality they need to take responsibility for their own actions and outcomes. MANY parents use parenthood as a shield to absolve themselves of any responsibility they may need to burden for their own bad parenting.

Its #1

#2 isn't an option only because if she really felt bad she wouldn't exploit her son's pain to followers.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully tonight's 20+ point beatdown gave the kid a memory he will never forget.

Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject:

https://www.facebook.com/MissMazzini
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

It was all a ruse so that the kid can get free tickets to see the Lakers. Once he was introduced, he ripped off his shirt to show a Laker jersey a la Mike Tyson during the Shawn Michaels-Stone Cold Steve Austin build up.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
danzag wrote:

It was all a ruse so that the kid can get free tickets to see the Lakers. Once he was introduced, he ripped off his shirt to show a Laker jersey a la Mike Tyson during the Shawn Michaels-Stone Cold Steve Austin build up.

roflmao

he was the THIRD MAN!!!!!!!!!!!
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject:

It takes effort man. I don't understand parents who put their kids in these situations. When we have a party, we make sure his closest friends will come. There are also family and cousins. After that, classmates and stuff, you have to hustle. You have to get phone numbers and text the moms and dads. When you pick up your kids, you run into some of them and you remind them. Worst case scenario, family and closest friends are still there. Don't rely on just classmates.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject:

The parents bring the kid to his B-Day party in his oversized PJ's? 10-1 odds he's the stinky kid in class. Those were the only one's that had these type of sad things happen growing up. Poor kid...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: